• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Man

As long as Console A is getting decent supports (aka games) until its year 6 life-span, I'll be fine.
Games could also aim to support a 6-9 (or more) year span of consoles (even if a console is only produced/distributed for 6 years).

Ethelwulf

I guess a new pricing would become something like:
Year 0: Console A - $399 (launch)
Year 1: Console A - $399
Year 2: Console A - $349
Year 3: Console A - $299 / Console B - $399
Year 4: Console A - $249 / Console B - $399
Year 5: Console A - $199 / Console B - $349
Year 6: Console A - $149 / Console B - $299 / Console C - $399
Year 7: Console B - $249 / Console C - $399
Year 8: Console B - $199 / Console C - $349
Year 9: Console B - $149 / Console C - $299 / Console D - $399

Yesterday I thought about something similar. I'm perfectly fine with something like this.

Ok, but ONLY if every console is backward compatible, and games are optimized for console X (and not console X + 1) until it's discontinued. The extra power of console X + 1 would only be for a higher framerate (and res/AA, but not new effects).

No it didn't suggest that.
It COULD suggest that, but there were other parts within the posting.
People speculated and used it as a fact.

Original post:
Why? This won't be a huge upgrade. It won't render games at 4K.

It will be 4K-ready for Netflix and movies, and games will look and run slightly better.

And Zoetis respons:

You could argue that this doesn't necessarily mention AAA games, but it seems pretty clear that Zoetis is saying the new PS4 will be capable of and focus on getting games to run in 4K.

LostDonkey

So since I went to bed last night another 30 pages have sprung up.

What's the outlook? Have we had any word from Sony? Is this legit?

Man

I have a good feeling about Sony's zero-tolerance policy applied for PSVR titles:
If you're game skips one beat, just slightly and dips to 55fps down from 60fps, then they won't approve your game for release.
The ways of the past has been to accept more or less 'anything'.

Somewhat similar strictness should be applied for software in general if console cycles are being shorted (and games supporting multiple of these).

Fredrik

You know, at this point I don't even know if these comments are jokes or not. I don't believe either Sony or MS care at all what Nintendo is doing.
No joke. Going by history alone it's quite safe to say that Sony and MS cares a whole lot more about what Nintendo is doing than Nintendo cares about what MS and Sony is doing. And you can bet that MS and Sony knows a whole lot more than us about NX too so when they suddenly decides to upgrade their consoles the same year as Nintendo launches NX then I definitely start to think that NX might have something to do with that.

Midn1ght

Seeing how the current generation of consoles is big on Remaster, Ultimate Edition, etc... Do you think they will continue that path and selling some kind of "60fps or 4K Edition" or "PS4.5 upgrade pack - $4.99" for games released before a software upgrade or if you bought the PS4 Version ?

Carrying your current library with you as the consoles are getting more powerful every other years is nice, specially if you can have it run better but I have a difficult time thinking they will completely abandon the opportunity to sell the same games multiple times.

krang

You completely missed his point. He was wrong in thinking that the .5 upgrade would be a forced upgrade, but what he was saying that if you are going to force somebody to upgrade,and spend another $400 ( which he thought was the case) then make it a big upgrade that could be considered a whole new generational shift instead of just half an upgrade.

You're assuming a lot of stuff that they didn't actually say.

Patronising language like this doesn't go down well me. Rein that shit in.

Is there any need to pursue 4K?

It kind of feels like a pointless endeavour. 99% of players aren't really in the position to get the best out of what 4K brings. Living rooms aren't really big enough to house super massive tv's. Bedrooms certainly aren't. The hardware, and software (The console and the games) will be expensive for the maker and the consumer too.

It just strikes me as...like 4K tv's, pure marketing wankery.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I hope the rumor is true.I want new hardware and the cycle for the consoles of 5-7 years is crazy and i don't like it.I prefer new hardware of new versions each 2-3 years.

Gurish

Is there any need to pursue 4K?

It kind of feels like a pointless endeavour. 99% of players aren't really in the position to get the best out of what 4K brings. Living rooms aren't really big enough to house super massive tv's. Bedrooms certainly aren't. The hardware, and software (The console and the games) will be expensive for the maker and the consumer too.

It just strikes me as...like 4K tv's, pure marketing wankery.

Just like Sony always does, just like the PS3 was a "1080P machine", it's purely for marketing.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I'm fine with this if it's next year, which it likely is. Feels like it would been long enough by then, even if it's far shorter than previous generations.

Briefing developers now makes sense if they want them to be able to plan ahead for release. It would still make sense even if it was releasing in two years. Information leaking is the risk you take when you let devs know your plans.

I know some people in game dev who have told me all sorts of stuff off the record, some of which took years to materialise. In one case that only recently proved to be true I assumed they were bullshitting me about a game release as I hadn't heard anything about it for years, then bam, it leaks.

TL;DR of my rambling: just because devs are talking about it by no means indicates that it's soon.

onQ123

Capable of 4k gaming is hilarious. The hardware required on PC to achieve 30fps + 4K gaming is like $1500. 0% chance 4K gaming on consoles is anywhere on the horizon. They'd have to release a $700 console.

This would be a closed box that's being made around rendering PS4 level graphics at 4K, 3 years after the PS4 was released while going from a 28nm process to a 14nm process.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I can see this play out as a major misunderstanding. I.e. PS4.5 actualy is PS4 slim with some miner Hardware uppings like HDMI 2.0 and an UHD BD drive.

Pretty much this.

I expected they would release at least a UHD BD capable PS4 and it makes perfect sense to make it more compatible with an important peripheral release, the Playstation VR headset, I don't see this as a negative at all, many people eventually upgrade to a slimmer iteration of a console anyway.

This is essentially a Playstation Slim with a lot more bang for buck.

Holy shit, 100 pages in a day. Keep on speculating, guys!
Ok, but ONLY if every console is backward compatible, and games are optimized for console X (and not console X + 1) until it's discontinued. The extra power of console X + 1 would only be for a higher framerate (and res/AA, but not new effects).
What would be wrong with extra effects?

krang

Pretty much this.

I expected they would release at least a UHD BD capable PS4 and it makes perfect sense to make it more compatible with an important peripheral release, the Playstation VR headset, I don't see this as a negative at all, many people eventually upgrade to a slimmer iteration of a console anyway.

This is essentially a Playstation Slim with a lot more bang for buck.

The author explicitly states in follow-up tweets that he was told by developers it was for 4K gaming.

Patronising language like this doesn't go down well me. Rein that shit in.

Oh well if it makes you feel any better patronizing language like "wut" as if the person said something nonsensical even though they didn't doesn''t go down well with me. Rein your own shit in

jelly

Maybe it makes more sense to stay current rather than making slim consoles. If they are unlikely to ever go below 299-349, why not focus all energy on better hardware for the same price and continue to make the lions share of money on services, accessories, licensing. They wind down production of old models, phase them out at slightly cheaper prices then the new model takes the lead in the marketplace.

iNvid02

Wow. Just wow.

Wrapping my head around this. If this has been the plan for both Sony and MS since their development.. This will be interesting. If incremental updates are the path of the future with bc a sure thing going forward, I think I will like this change.

And dam, MS really f*cked themselves over if this was the final console cycle. There's no gaining ground for them at this point.

its crazy, i dont think either of them planned for this though, maybe they just realized they made a mistake putting toaster cpu's in these boxes and then with the advent of 4k and vr and how spirited the console industry still is probably made them reconsider if i had to hazard a wild guess.

man e3 is gonna be dope again

What would be wrong with extra effects?

I don't know. Actually I still don't know how I feel about this, at first I though it was an insanely bad idea, and the more I think about it the more I could see myself buy a more powerful PlayStation every 3 years.

It really depends on how Sony does this honestly. I'm really curious (if they're doing this I still don't know what will differenciate PS4 of PS5).

FATALITY

Banned
I don't know. Actually I still don't know how I feel about this, at first I though it was an insanely bad idea, and the more I think about it the more I could see myself buy a more powerful PlayStation every 3 years.

It really depends on how Sony does this honestly. I'm really curious (if they're doing this I still don't know what will differenciate PS4 of PS5).
If the price don't go up, it's win win situation

You know what I just realised this will also do? Potentially kill any chance of the ps4 selling 100m units, and mean no console manufacturer will ever again be able to drop systems down to super low prices while enjoying ever increasing profit margins as manufacturing costs fall ever lower at generations end. And that's the best case scenario of this idea working and not just being an expensive mistake.

This idea really does suck for everyone that's not got money to burn and doesn't care about late gen game optimisation.

Again, I get why Nintendo and MS would do this, they're fucked regardless, thus have nothing to lose and have a proven track record of bad decision making, but Sony nailed this gen so far, and look to have knocked it out the park with PSVR, so why they'd follow the competition they beat over a cliff I just cannot get my head around.

Really, really hope this is fake.

Man

Wow. Just wow.

Wrapping my head around this. If this has been the plan for both Sony and MS since their development.. This will be interesting. If incremental updates are the path of the future with bc a sure thing going forward, I think I will like this change.

And dam, MS really f*cked themselves over if this was the final console cycle. There's no gaining ground for them at this point.
It's incredible how well Sony learned from the PS3/X360 era and without fail managed to seize ever single opportunity.
The biggest pain for Microsoft is probably Xbox Live:
It was building up to become their greatest strength, something close to insurmountable by the competition. Now, following all the facepalms of XB1 w/kinect, triple-OS, weak-hardware, hostile DRM & corporate policy... and because of great improvements on Sony's side like their PlayGo play-as-it-installs/download functionality, all the godness that separated Live and PSN last-gen, their take on Share functionality... PSN and PS4 is soaring ahead and taking hold of the wast majority of the console market AT THE OUTSET of consoles becoming more of a service model. It was the worst possible timing for Microsoft to royally screw up.

jelly

360 and PS3 didn't go really cheap. There just isn't enough savings to get as low as the PS2.

Getting more hard drive space, better hardware, performance for similar money years later seems like an okay compromise.

You know what I just realised this will also do? Completely kill any chance of the ps4 selling 100m units, and mean no console manufacturer will ever again be able to drop systems down to super low prices while enjoying ever increasing profit margins as manufacturing costs fall ever lower at generations end.

This idea really does suck for everyone that's not got money to burn and doesn't care about late gen game optimisation.

Again, I get why Nintendo and MS would do this, they're fucked regardless, have nothing to lose and have a proven track record of bad decision making, but Sony nailed this gen so far, and look to have knocked it out the park with PSVR, so why they'd follow the competition they beat over a cliff I just cannot get my head around.

I'm sure it has already been posted but:
CxoTnjy.jpg

"The OS and libraries become the core of what defines a plateform"

Imagine a world where we will never ever have to buy a remaster, a world where all your old games are automatically running better on your better hardware, a world where the Operating System of the console is actually good.

Edit: And by the way, nobody said that Sony will abandon the vanilla PS4 when PS4.5 will release, of course it will still be there, and priced lower.

There is no way that this makes economic sense for Sony. Releasing .5 hardware with better graphics processing would massively impact on their profitability. If the rumours are true I imagine they are just testing out a prototype in case MS does something like this and are successful with it.

You know what I just realised this will also do? Potentially kill any chance of the ps4 selling 100m units, and mean no console manufacturer will ever again be able to drop systems down to super low prices while enjoying ever increasing profit margins as manufacturing costs fall ever lower at generations end. And that's the best case scenario of this idea working and not just being an expensive mistake.

Again, I get why Nintendo and MS would do this, they're fucked regardless, thus have nothing to lose and have a proven track record of bad decision making, but Sony nailed this gen so far, and look to have knocked it out the park with PSVR, so why they'd follow the competition they beat over a cliff I just cannot get my head around.

Yeah it looks like where the industry is going. Iwata mentioned it too, it seems there is a move towards OS/Libraries rather than a machine. IOS/Android have been so successful, i guess there has to be a move towards this , and it makes sense. If it means everything from here on out is playable on a ps4.23 in 40 years i be ok with that.

It just kind of sucks to learn this a quarter of the way through a generation rather than the start.

Zaki2407

..... I'm ok with this.

Qurupeke

I'm still a bit unsure of the pricepoint or the capabilities of this machine, as the news seems too good to believe everything about them, but as I see it, it's really a good situation. The only thing I hate is exclusive games, either this means PS4.5 games or PS3 backwards compatibility exclusive to it, but it doesn't look that way, as it seems to be just a better PS4 with better graphics and more stable framerate.

The best thing out of this is probably that the normal PS4 will get cheaper, that's ideal for people like me that don't have a 4K TV and they just want to play games. As long as Sony doesn't fragment the userbase and treats PS4/PS4.5 users as one, all is good. And I can't see this not happening, as the PSVR is coming this year, so no chance of abandoning the normal PS4.

If this actually runs AAA games at 4K, it's got to be more than $399 at launch. I expect it'll be marketed as a "Premium" PlayStation product, which will slowly morph into a mass market device over the years.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
The incremental upgrade model works so well for Apple and a constant revenue generator. If Sony is looking to follow this on say a 3 year cycle with backwards compatibility it it going to be a huge win for the consumer and huge win for Sony.

Top Bottom