• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Gurish

Damn this thread is moving fast, even faster than the NX leak :)
I guess it make sense since PS4.5 is most probably a real thing, rumors are much more based, unlike that MX thing which seems pretty fake.

Man

I guess a new pricing would become something like:
Year 0: Console A - $399 (launch)
Year 1: Console A - $399
Year 2: Console A - $349
Year 3: Console A - $299 / Console B - $399
Year 4: Console A - $249 / Console B - $399
Year 5: Console A - $199 / Console B - $349
Year 6: Console A - $149 / Console B - $299 / Console C - $399
Year 7: Console B - $249 / Console C - $399
Year 8: Console B - $199 / Console C - $349
Year 9: Console B - $149 / Console C - $299 / Console D - $399

MicSte79

Neo Member
That's why they choose to be pc gamers. Lots of console gamers just want a box that will play all games coming out the next 5+ years.

Yes that's fair. I'm one of these gamers myself actually.

I don't know - I am excited for this IF it happens. But at the same time, perfectly happy to play my current PS4 for the next year or two.

The suggestion with a .5 upgrade is that you're NOT being forced to upgrade to carry on playing. A lack of resistance to new shiny toys isn't a gun to the back of your head.

But you then say you'd be happy with a PS5 instead, which would force you to upgrade to play the latest games. Wut.

You completely missed his point. He was wrong in thinking that the .5 upgrade would be a forced upgrade, but what he was saying that if you are going to force somebody to upgrade,and spend another $400 ( which he thought was the case) then make it a big upgrade that could be considered a whole new generational shift instead of just half an upgrade. get it?

Gurish

That's why they choose to be pc gamers. Lots of console gamers just want a box that will play all games coming out the next 5+ years.

Your current PS4 will play all games coming out in the next 5+ years (counting from launch yea?, not actually from 2016-2021), no way they will give up 50 million users.

If this is how the future plays out i guess id always jump in at Console B/C

Withnail

I think it will be 4K in the same way the PS3 was 1080p, I.e. it will be capable of driving a 4K display but very few games will natively render at that resolution. Still, it will be native 4K in the home menu and for movies etc, probably with a UHD Blu-ray drive as well.

That scenario seems very plausible to me given Sony's wider interests.

(I don't necessarily think this means Sony is moving to incremental hardware updates. It could just be a one off in order to support other important tech that came just too late for the PS4.)

Haha holy shit.

I still need to gather my thoughts on this.

I don't get it, of course it might run games in 4K, but no way in hell it'll run at a smooth 60fps, so what's the point?

Playing similar looking games at similar fps but at a higher resolution?? And all that for another 400-500$, L O L ?

Even worse, releasing that updated PS4 around the same time they're trying to push PSVR at a cheap 500$?? Seriously? That might sink the Playstation ship for good.

Why not wait two years more and bring out the PS5 with real 4K and even better PSVR performance? I'm not sure it's a gamble worth taking for Sony.

MS, sure why not, they need to try something as they don't have VR and they'll just fall back on Windows 10 Xbox gaming if it fails.

I'd actually be OK with this. It'll just join my graphics card and phone on my replace-every-3-years list.

I can afford $399 on a 3 year cycle. I just hope it doesn't screw with the market and things stay at least somewhat forward-compatible (like you're guarenteed 2 cycles before your hardware gets phased out).

It'd be lame if they screw people who don't spend stupid money on gaming stuff like me (ie people who are, you know, financially responsible - UNLIKE me).

Gurish

Who's this Zoeits, dude? heck the post histroy. Somebody that works at Sony (supposedly)?

He told us TLG will be revealed a month before E3.

He might know some stuff but it doesn't mean he knows EVERYTHING, that's a common mistake people make about insiders all the time, even proven insiders are often wrong (C-boat anyone?)

Man

At the end the big AAA games takes a shit ton of years to make even with an established engine.
Yeah but supporting a soon-to-release platform doesn't double that development, if anything it should be pretty minimal. Assets have reached crazy levels already, we are at a certain plateau now, look at Uncharted 4.

I can see this play out as a major misunderstanding. I.e. PS4.5 actualy is PS4 slim with some miner Hardware uppings like HDMI 2.0 and an UHD BD drive.

c0de

He told us TLG will be revealed a month before E3.

He might know some stuff but it doesn't mean he knows EVERYTHING, that's a common mistake people make about insiders all the time, even proved insiders are often wrong (C-boat anyone?)

Well, we have kotaku with their article *and* him confirming it.
With CBoat there were threads only because of him which is not the case here.

I don't get it, of course it might run games in 4K, but no way in hell it'll run at a smooth 60fps, so what's the point?

Playing similar looking games at similar fps but at a higher resolution?? And all that for another 400-500$, L O L ?

Even worse, releasing that updated PS4 around the same time they're trying to push PSVR at a cheap 500$?? Seriously? That might sink the Playstation ship for good.

Why not wait two years more and bring out the PS5 with real 4K and even better PSVR performance? I'm not sure it's a gamble worth taking for Sony.

MS, sure why not, they need to try something as they don't have VR and they'll just fall back on Windows 10 Xbox gaming if it fails.

Your exaggerating about this sinking PlayStation but I agree with some of your points yes.

There's positives on the other side but I need to read this massive thread to further understand the situation.

Gurish

Well, we have kotaku with their article *and* him confirming it.
With CBoat there were threads only because of him which is not the case here.

Oh, I believe PS4.5 is real, Kotaku is legit, I'm skeptic towards the additional details (reveal at E3, coming out this year, 4K gaming, cheap etc) provided by Zoetis.

Ivan

I have a feeling that game development has changed way too much for people to understand it in discussions like this.

Like we're stuck in pre-ps3/x360 days.

Things are much more complicated and risky nowadays.

Maybe this has to be the way.

I'll miss focusing brand new console hardware with some nice exclusive though, but I guess they'll find a way to impress us on that more powerful model.

cordy

Banned

I'd approve of this. If people want to complain about the price then this gives them time to save up as well. Just don't get it on year 1 and wait a lil bit. Works for everyone involved.

Ok well this has me legit surprised and tbh I don't think it's a good idea for the same reasons as the Xbox One revision. Consoles has pros and cons, the main pro being that it's fixed hardware, this eliminates that.

I guess it makes sense for VR but a fragmented user base is bad for everyone imo.

Will still buy it tho :/

//DEVIL//

I don't get it, of course it might run games in 4K, but no way in hell it'll run at a smooth 60fps, so what's the point

Here is the funny part. Mot even the fury x and gtx 980ti run the new games at highest settings in 4k and 60 fps

liquidtmd

Banned

As opposed Year 1 - 5 Console A that just goes down in price...

Sony - this chart exemplifies why this idea is a terrible one (Man - I'm not quoting you to say you're wrong here, far from it).

Ivan

The PS4 is selling at a better pace than the PS2. This doesnt make any sense.

I thought from game developer's point of view.

Maybe that reset we get every generation is too much for them in today's circumstances.

PS4 is selling phenomenally, but they still don't have target audience they'd like.

And that's only for very big games, think about all the variety you could get without reseting the userbase. There would be an audience for every concept. At least much easier than through any launch period from past times. .

I still don't like the sound of all this, I'm just thinking....

-you don't have to fork over more money!
-your existing ps4 will still be the base for ps4 games!
-this is not a new gen, they have 30m+ userbase on existing ps4 consoles!
-there are only some issues if you're jealous! :p
Well, there's a lot people already jealous just after rumors, without knowing actual specs and difference. There will be a lot more when sony will made official announcement (IF sony will announce it)

womfalcs3

Banned
I'm probably moving away from gaming after this generation anyway. I have only played 2 games on my PS4. Uncharted will be my only game this year, and I don't see anything that excites me beyond it. It may be the last video game I play on console/PC.

Maybe that reset we get every generation is too much for them in today's circumstances.

PS4 is selling phenomenally, but they still don't have target audience they'd like.

And that's only for very big games, think about all the variety you could get without reseting of userbase. There would be audience for every concept. At least much easier than through any launch period.

I still don't like the sound design of all this, I'm just thinking....
I don't see how this would expand userbases though, surely you're still going to be selling the high end to the early adoptors who will abandon the lesser model?

You're not increasing your userbase, just increasing the amount of units you've sold, which doesn't help developers at all...

Regardless of this rumour being real, half-truth or fake, here are a couple of points:

1. Sony are not working with Intel or Nvidia for CPU/GPU. That leaves AMD and their APUs. And we must assume Sony will choose an APU again for power efficiency and compact form factor.

2. There is no APU available right now capable of handling 4K gaming. Not even close. The only product AMD have coming that will is their Zen-based APUs with Polaris graphics cores. Even then, this will have to be enhanced for more power. These APUs are scheduled to arrive 2017. Likely summertime at the earliest.

Ogni-XR21

I don't mind them uprgading in general. But I only got the PS4 a few months ago in preparation for UC4 and PSVR, but could have waited a little longer with the purchase. So hearing about a possible boost for PSVR now that I already got the PS4 sucks.

I have no problem with them going forward with hardware upgrades like this, but if I had known I would have chosen a different entry point for this "last genereation". But maybe I was too blind to see it coming, silly me.

dcelw540

Ok well this has me legit surprised and tbh I don't think it's a good idea for the same reasons as the Xbox One revision. Consoles has pros and cons, the main pro being that it's fixed hardware, this eliminates that.

I guess it makes sense for VR but a fragmented user base is bad for everyone imo.

Will still buy it tho :/
Nailed it right on the head, you buy a console with the mindset that it's fixed so you don't need to upgrade it to play current games at higher frame rates or resolution. This eliminates that aspect and makes it seems like consoles will evolve into pcs.

wapplew

And that's only for very big games, think about all the variety you could get without reseting the userbase. There would be audience for every concept. At least much easier than through any launch period from past times. .

I still don't like the sound of all this, I'm just thinking....

If dev only care about hitting big target audience and scare of reset user base, they will want the gen run as long as possible without adding new hardware in the mix.
That way they only make 1 version of the game, save a lot of resource.

Release another hardware within gen only make thing worse for them.
On traditional gen, they do cross gen port the first 2 years, then they drop last gen and make game for current gen only for a few years, and repeat.
Incremental gen however, they have to do 2 maybe 3 port all the time.

No it wouldn't.

Some of the biggest visual downgrades on consoles take place with things like shadows,draw distance and overall geometry detail because the CPU can't feed the GPU fast enough.

PS4 is hideously CPU bound in some areas.

The CPU doesn't get slower when you upgrade the GPU. It doesn't need to feed more data to the GPU when rendering resolution is increased.

Man

I think some of you are taking the 4K part a bit too strictly.

It will feature a 4K Blu-ray player.
It will be capable to run some games in 4K.
Most big games will likely aim for 1080p at 60fps w/good amount of effects.

orava

A tiny slim version with bigger hard drive, proper 4K output and 4K bluray disc support. It would probably be great but I would still not buy it.

I don't mind them uprgading in general. But I only got the PS4 a few months ago in preparation for UC4 and PSVR, but could have waited a little longer with the purchase. So hearing about a possible boost for PSVR now that I already got the PS4 sucks.

I have no problem with them going forward with hardware upgrades like this, but if I had known I would have chosen a different entry point for this "last genereation". But maybe I was too blind to see it coming, silly me.

Read my post above. There is no 4K capable machine coming this year or even early 2017. *It's technologically impossible.

*unless Sony is eschewing the console form factorand working with Intel/Nvidia. Almost completely improbable.

People are assuming 4K means 3840x2160 at highest settings, which runs bad even on high-end PCs. There are a billion resolutions between 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 that devs can use that will still be a step up from standard 1080p. A lot of movies are also not mastered at full 4K, yet you see the difference on a 4K TV.
And max detail is not gonna happen on consoles. It's gonna be set to the strengths and weaknesses of the system, just like it always was.

A tiny slim version with bigger hard drive, proper 4K output and 4K bluray disc support. It would probably be great but I would still not buy it.

This is what I'm thinking as well.

The PS4 is doing great ant they try to push PSVR. Regardless of potential benefits for the latter, I don't see a more powerful version happening. It wouldn't be a long shot to have an upgraded drive and HDMI port in a "slim" version though.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
OMG just woken up to read this wonderful news. I have written many a time that this is the best would be an ideal move. A 4K upgrade for BluRay lovers.

I would be there DAY ONE SONY. DAY ONE.

If l can run all my titles today and wait for patches to run them in 4K (DriveClub, MGs5 etc) it would be a no brainer.

Previous PS4 owners still run their new titles but in lower resolution.

As long as Sony does not abandon the PS4 base by making exclusives for PS4K, which they won´t do, and as long as treat PS4 owners like a second grade with regards to software update, sales, etc.... i have no problem with this. After all this would be just an option for people who want higher resolution and higher frame rate. Also there should not be any obstacle with cross platform play between PS4 and PS4K play online.

anothertech

Wow. Just wow.

Wrapping my head around this. If this has been the plan for both Sony and MS since their development.. This will be interesting. If incremental updates are the path of the future with bc a sure thing going forward, I think I will like this change.

And dam, MS really f*cked themselves over if this was the final console cycle. There's no gaining ground for them at this point.

Gurish

Yup.

Been said countless of times in this thread and people are still with the "no way I can play U4 at 4k!", you won't.

odhiex

Hey you know, I like this scheme. I don't have to be there (buy) on year one, maybe will get the console B in year 2 or 3.

... Or jump straight to a $399 console C Hahaha.

As long as Console A is getting decent supports (aka games) until its year 6 life-span, I'll be fine.

c0de

Both current gen consoles are already able to run *some* games at 4k.

Top Bottom