• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

liquidtmd

Banned
W2mZo4E.jpg

Hehe

Skinpop

You bought a PC. Don't you feel like a second class citizen compared to those with a more powerful PC than you?

one might if every game actually targeted the latest hardware and all you used it for was games, yeah then I would be disappointed if next years game ran considerably worse on the gpu I bought last month. But none of this is the case for pc. And while I predominantly game on my pc as opposed to the console, I still use it more for work and productive stuff. But even if I didn't it's not like there are a plethora of games out there that make good use of the power in the latest graphics cards anyway so your point doesn't even make sense when applied to pc.
What you, like so many others here are talking about is a model where consoles would have many of the drawbacks of the pc but few of the advantages.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
If Kotaku have concrete details it should at least be possible to clarify some of the fundamental questions, like how the developers feel about it, and whether this is meant for all games to be upgraded or only less performance intensive ones.

The moment I have more details to share, I'll happily pass them on. It's not like I'm hiding things to be fun 'n mysterious 'n sexy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The moment I have more details to share, I'll happily pass them on. It's not like I'm hiding things to be fun 'n mysterious 'n sexy.

Cheers. It's just so weird to try and square the circle when you look at how slowly PC GPUs are hitting 16nm (which would be needed for a big jump in power), and what you'd perhaps expect from a mid-gen refresh of a console (eg 4K Netflix but not games). Really fascinating but it does sound like there is smoke.

Markoman

So you made informed choices about which technology to buy, based on your needs and priorities, and available budget?

Which is surely something similar to this proposal for Ps4.5 isn't it?

You are not getting the point. My main gaming directive right now is:1080p, 60FPS.
As we all know by now a modern AAA open world game will run 1080, 30 FPS at best on consoles. Here's the problem: let's say Horizon will be released in winter 2016/spring 2017 and PS 4.5 comes out this winter and is able to run the game @60fps. Totally fine. Hypothetically, GG then starts to develop Horizon 2, release date spring 2019 when PS4.6 or PS5 has already been released (2018). Will it still be 60FPS on PS 4.5? I highly doubt this. What I'm trying to say going by the gaming standard I chose as my highest priority (see above), I'm feeling forced into going with the 'the best platform to play game x' mantra and according upgrade plan.
As strange as it may sound but for me it's easier to justify a console purchase solely for exclusives as an addition to PC gaming when I know I'm not missing out on something.
I'm not saying that I will abandon consoles. I will wait until a handful of really must-have exclusives are released and will get the best value for my money at that precise moment.
You might say 'well, that's absolutely fine' but I'm not sure if this mentality is healthy for the console industry once more people adapt to this strategy, because I'm 100% sure the PS users that will buy every iteration will be in the minority.

vpance

Xbox 1.5 or PS4.5, I wonder which one will be more powerful?

IMO most likely AMD approached both of them with the idea of a .5 (and a sweet deal too I bet) since they want to push Polaris hard.

THE:MILKMAN

Hi Patrick. Not sure if you can or would answer this but will ask anyway.

Has anybody from Sony "had a word" with you confirming/denying the content of your article?

Xbox 1.5 or PS4.5, I wonder which one will be more powerful?

IMO most likely AMD approached both of them with the idea of a .5 (and a sweet deal too I bet) since they want to push Polaris hard.

Well MS isn't focusing on Kinect anymore or blowing R&D into it so really this should be interesting.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You are not getting the point. My main gaming directive right now is:1080p, 60FPS.
As we all know by now a modern AAA open world game will run 1080, 30 FPS at best on consoles. Here's the problem: let's say Horizon will be released in winter 2016/spring 2017 and PS 4.5 comes out this winter and is able to run the game @60fps. Totally fine. Hypothetically, GG then starts to develop Horizon 2, release date spring 2019 when PS4.6 or PS5 has already been released (2018). Will it still be 60FPS on PS 4.5? I highly doubt this. What I'm trying to say going by the gaming standard I chose as my highest priority (see above), I'm feeling forced into going with the 'the best platform to play game x' mantra and according upgrade plan.
As strange as it may sound but for me it's easier to justify a console purchase solely for exclusives as an addition to PC gaming when I know I'm not missing out on something.
I'm not saying that I will abandon consoles. I will wait until a handful of really must-have exclusives are released and will get the best value for my money at that precise moment.
You might say 'well, that's absolutely fine' but I'm not sure if this mentality is healthy for the console industry once more people adapt to this strategy, because I'm 100% sure the PS users that will buy every iteration will be in the minority.

But the same can and will happen on PC. You target 1080p/60 so you got a 970 (me too for the same reasons). But in 2018 that card may also not support 1080p/60 anymore as the baseline will have risen with more Happening per pixel (already happening to an extent)

Even with a more traditional 5-6 year console upgrade cycle the same happens - with engines getting more complex and ambitious performance will often drop

So regardless of whether it is an upgradeable PC or upgradeable console, that initial purchasing reason won't stay solid for 5-6 years.

a lot of special cases just for console, in this case PS4.

Your problem with PS4.5 is not that PS4 is bad, no it is enough for you because you dont use it much, but the problem is that someone else can play PS4 game at better fps.

At the same time, you game on your PC and it is very important to you (unlike PS4) but you dont care if someone plays PC games at 8K resolution and 120fps - thats fine who cares you are happy with what you got.

Cool beans.

1.I am looking fwd to threads if Sony does not do this but MS does... how many people here will end up upgrading to XB5... especially those that did not invest into PS4 ecosystem already or at least not heavily.

If MS does bring out an updated xbox one and Sony doesn't do the same for ps4, then you can bet a lot of people will either be buying an x 1.5 instead of a ps4 or they will buy it in addition to their ps4 purchase. All of them will buy multiplatform games on Microsoft's console regardless. Who would want to play the weaker multiplat game if given the choice? I know I won't.
If the upgraded xone becomes a reality and Sony doesn't respond, I will buy it and shift all my third party game purchases to that console. I was planning to get a Microsoft's box anyway and this would seal the deal.
But I do wonder about those who are dead set against an iterative ps4, if they will still be against in that scenario. After all they no longer have the best console version of most games anymore and devs will now have a higher target to push for which, according to their own argument, will make games for the weaker (ps4 and xone) platforms run like crap.

Shu interview with engadget that includes 4k commentary

4k part starts at 10:16 through 12:15

- 4k adoption catching up in NA and EUR, but not as fast as in Asia
- 1080p/60 still a golden standard on PS4
- If developers have to make games in 4k it could have negative impact on framerate
- PS4 is not designed to support 4k gaming
- PS4 has 4k output support, but not 4k gaming suport
- Higher framerate is the priority

Since when did ps4 have 4K output support? If so, why doesn't Netflix have a 4K app yet?

I don't know. That's what Shu said in the interview.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

- If developers have to make games in 4k it could have negative impact on framerate

Since when did ps4 have 4K output support? If so, why doesn't Netflix have a 4K app yet?

Philippo

So, PS4.5 to aim for 1080p/60 and 4k/30?

TEH-CJ

Banned

Isn't this an old interview? I don't think he is referring to the ps4.5

Memento

Seriously, if they don't call this thing "PS4K" I'm going to punch somebody.

Here in Brazil, PS4 was called PS4K by the consumers because of the launch price (R$4000, which is A LOT, believe me), it will be funny if thats the official name of this new version.

Markoman

But the same can and will happen on PC. You target 1080p/60 so you got a 970 (me too for the same reasons). But in 2018 that card may also not support 1080p/60 anymore as the baseline will have risen with more Happening per pixel (already happening to an extent)

Even with a more traditional 5-6 year console upgrade cycle the same happens - with engines getting more complex and ambitious performance will often drop

So regardless of whether it is an upgradeable PC or upgradeable console, that initial purchasing reason won't stay solid for 5-6 years.

Fair enough, but once I upgrade my PC I can be 100% sure that older games run better + mods (for example you can go back to Total War games and increase army size which your older PC can't handle), so how about consoles? Do we really expect at this point that games like Bloodborne will magically run @60 FPS without From going back to support the game. Please correct me if I'm wrong. They would have to change the way console games are developed starting with the PS4.5. But this is reason enough to piss off PS4 day one buyers like me. Let's be realistic and look what has been released in 2,5 years of this gen. The 2 year cycles will give you a limited amount of games optimized for your system of choice, because games usually take three or more years to develop. You won't even get a new ND, Uncharted team, game in that time frame (on PS4.5). So the PS after PS4.5 will get the optimized version of that game. And you mentioned engines getting more demanding - how is backwards compatibility across PS4 and PS4.5 work then?
My point is: As someone who prefers Sony's exclusive games, there's a limited number of games corresponding to the amount of studios to work with. All those studios have different cycles now, which means you are buying a PS in the future for maybe 3 exclusive games optimized for that plattform, the next exclusive will then run at the higher goal-post on the next system and so on....feels off to me, because Dev time>console cycles no bueno.

androvsky

Since close to launch. I've got a 4k TV and confirm that the PS4 supports 4k... in the Playmemories app only. The why is easy, any commercial movie that's output in 4k requires extra DRM on the output thanks to Hollywood paranoia, and the PS4 shipped before that DRM was finalized.

jeff_rigby will swear that the DRM can be added in the PS4's case, but I'm not yet convinced. HDCP 2.2 has some pretty stringent requirements (such as detecting cable length) that could be very difficult to add after the fact without specialized hardware.

J-Rzez

I'm sure the PS4 could output video at 4K/60p but it wouldn't do hdr as of now. I would love for Sony to flip the switch and allow UHD-BD playback but I can't see them doing that.

I welcome the ability for consoles to upgrade mid life.

RedSwirl

Wow this thread got huuuge, but the discussion is running in circles. Still those phone comparisons....

Here's my stance: i don't care anymore, i just bought a new PC, because we're 2,5 years into this generation and honestly, the console hardware doesn't really matter at all. As of now, the only game that really justifies my PS4 purchase is Bloodborne.(+Bought a WiiU for Smash and Bayo2 - not going to happen again) My 2nd favourite game of this gen MGSV is also on PC. I turned 40 and I'm a much more conscious gamer nowadays and I don't get hyped by the formulaic AAA titles, so the overall library of both major console is pretty sparse and unvaried imo (not counting indies) at the moment.

But... don't some people in this thread get the simple psychology that some of us will get into a 2nd class citizen mentality if their dedication to console is not strong enough to support this plan? I totally share/understand this sentiment. For example you buy a IPhone primarily for communicating with others (text messages, via phone) or surfing the inet - a newer IPhone model doesn't change things in this regard, because CPUs and GPU in the mobile sector don't affect this core aspect. The quality of text messages and sound quality hasn't changed drastically in the last years. Those who buy the newest Iphones to be able to run some new demanding apps or games...well, we don't know for sure if this is a driving factor behind the constant success of IPhone. Gaming? Totally different...let's say that consumer x will never consider PC gaming and is dedicated to console gaming = 200-250 mio. people last gen. Let's say he's casual, meaning a person with average income who also buys a new phone, TV, car once in a while. He will spend his hard earned money on one console and -until now- lives in some kind of safe bubble 'I have the best console out there and I'm safe for at least 5 years' - now two years down the line a better version is released. Is it so hard to understand that there may be some people who feel bad about having bought a console which has become a 2nd grade console after 2 years? You can't really compare resolution and fps increases to better processor and design specs of phones.

Well, we will see. If things go horribly wrong, customers will act NOT like mobile phone customers, meaning they will learn to wait, getting most value for their bucks, thus no more day one launch hype, which is a disaster for a front-loaded industry like the gaming industry. If the majority accepts this new launch-schedule, we're ok, but I can see lots of former console only gamers going PC, because they will learn about the technical buzz-words once they they are asking themselves 'what's different in PS4.5?' and when they start doing the math: 3 consoles á 400€ in 6 years= 1200€ (if they want to be on top of their game) and every friggin iteration will still be weaker than a above mid-range PC.

Edit: LOL, I have found a good example concerning the whole 'having more options' topic: You and a girl have survived a plane crash and you find yourself on a deserted island.
The girl by your normal standards (living in city with lots of options an opportunities) is OK. In this case it is way easier to commit to this woman than under your normal living conditions and saying something like 'you are the most beautiful woman in this world' is not that hard. You may engage in a island marriage ritual and you arrange yourself with the conditions given in that situation. Now that situation changes...it turn out that another girl has survived the plane crash and she's 10/10 material going by your past and present living conditions. How do you feel now?

See, I don't think the casual consumer is going to care that much about their model being the latest model. I think all they're going to care about is whether their box runs the latest Madden game, the latest Call of Duty, and Minecraft. Mainstream console consumers probably don't give a shit about framerates and resolutions (unless they put a lot of marketing hype behind 4k and those consumers have shiny new 4k TVs). Call of Duty and Madden are sort of the "core features" of those consoles like communication and web browsing are the "core features" of your phone. In both cases you upgrade because there's important software your model doesn't run anymore. It's why EA keeps supporting old consoles with new Madden games for ridiculously long times. It's for people who want to play the latest Madden but don't care THAT much about having the latest box.

You bought a PC. Don't you feel like a second class citizen compared to those with a more powerful PC than you?

No, honestly.

If MS does bring out an updated xbox one and Sony doesn't do the same for ps4, then you can bet a lot of people will either be buying an x 1.5 instead of a ps4 or they will buy it in addition to their ps4 purchase. All of them will buy multiplatform games on Microsoft's console regardless. Who would want to play the weaker multiplat game if given the choice? I know I won't.
If the upgraded xone becomes a reality and Sony doesn't respond, I will buy it and shift all my third party game purchases to that console. I was planning to get a Microsoft's box anyway and this would seal the deal.
But I do wonder about those who are dead set against an iterative ps4, if they will still be against in that scenario. After all they no longer have the best console version of most games anymore and devs will now have a higher target to push for which, according to their own argument, will make games for the weaker (ps4 and xone) platforms run like crap.
If all it takes for you to change sides is a little bit more power, for Sony to recover you as a customer it would be as easy as releasing an even more powerful PlayStation a year later. So in years 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018 and onwards, the best multiplatforms would be in Sony platforms.

2017 would be the only year MS would have a chance at trying to build a userbase big enough so it gives them some momentum. And, realistically, how many people are going to buy Xbox One.5 at launch after the mess Microsoft's PR has been lately? DRM fiasco, power of the cloud and power of DX12 nowhere to be seen, Kinect and XBO killed prematurely, most Xbox exclusives releasing also on PC... Who would buy an XBO.5? I sure wouldn't.

Really, with the lack of commitment MS is showing towards console gaming, if you buy an Xbox console and it turns out to be a mess and they kill it in 2 years, it's your fault for not seeing it coming.

Sony should wait it out and let Microsoft hang themselves with the XBO.5 powercord.

Yoday

A lot of PC GPUs can output 4K, it's just people aren't willing to lower a lot of settings to get there at a decent framerate. Even though I have a GTX 980 OC, I still use my 1080p TV because knowing that a high quality 4K TV would cost $2-3k AND I'd have to lower settings deters me from upgrading.
I think they are going to target 4K like the XBO targets 1080p. Some games will hit 4K, some will be somewhere in-between, and I think on Xbox we are going to see a lot of dynamic resolution scaling with 4K being the target. If they are going to fully iterative consoles then I see this next iteration being sometimes 4K with the iteration after that being almost always 4K.

Let's not forget that they will both likely be using custom AMD APUs based on new architecture. Trying to compare what they will be able to do with what our current high end PC GPUs can do seems a little pointless. 4X the GPU power using a new manufacturing process and design architecture doesn't seem all that crazy to me.

Sony is going to ship probably every PSVR that they can make this holiday if someone choose not to get it because of the new PS4 someone else will just buy it & Sony will never no the difference lol.

Why would Sony care that you bought a PS4.5 over buying a PSVR? if you want it you will still end up buying it but in the mean time someone else will buy that PSVR that you cancelled.
Say you're interested in VR. The PC headsets are significantly more expensive, especially if you need to upgrade your PC. But there's PSVR! Much cheaper, and you already have a PS4! Yay!

Then Sony announce PS4.5, which you need, if you want the best PSVR experience.
Suddenly, a Rift/Vive and maybe a PC upgrade aren't significantly different to your total PSVR costs.

Sure, you could still go the cheaper VR option, but PS4.5 puts Sony in a more direct dollar for dollar competition with other VR headsets, and their headset is the lowest spec'd one.

onQ123

Say you're interested in VR. The PC headsets are significantly more expensive, especially if you need to upgrade your PC. But there's PSVR! Much cheaper, and you already have a PS4! Yay!

Then Sony announce PS4.5, which you need, if you want the best PSVR experience.
Suddenly, a Rift/Vive and maybe a PC upgrade aren't significantly different to your total PSVR costs.

Sure, you could still go the cheaper VR option, but PS4.5 puts Sony in a more direct dollar for dollar competition with other VR headsets, and their headset is the lowest spec'd one.

If price is the reason that you was getting PSVR why would you buy another PS4 that you don't really need just because it's there?

If the higher specs isn't making you go for the PC VR sets why would the higher specs make you get a new PS4?

You was gonna get PSVR over OR & Vive because it's cheaper then building a PC for VR but all of a sudden because Sony release PS4.5 you feel like you have to have it & now you have the money to choose from buying a PS4.5 + PSVR or building a PC + buying OR?

AmyS

Don't forget there's a big difference in needed GPU performance between upscaling games to 4K (like Nvidia's Dynamic Super Resolution and AMD's equivalent) and actually rendering native 4K resolution.

Ok well let me ask what is the minimum cost that a console maker can get away with while being able to do majority of games at 4k 30 fps? I figured you would need a 980 ti but ppl are saying 970 or 980 hell even less. I'm just really curious given the best optimization and everything what would you need?

Top Bottom