• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Teeth

I dont get this logic and never will.

The only reason you should ever use wifi is if you absolutely can not in any way get an ethernet cord hooked up.

And even then, you should probably look into sending internet over your power lines.

Wifi is garbage.

Using wireless since PS3. Now Xbox One with 5Ghz connection. I dont know how to say this but ZERO problem in last 10 years. And I mean zero as in 0. Fuck the clutter. Even bought Wireless headphones now.
Dont know about this.

Congrats on your terrible latency.

hwy_61

Banned
Using wireless since PS3. Now Xbox One with 5Ghz connection. I dont know how to say this but ZERO problem in last 10 years. And I mean zero as in 0. Fuck the clutter. Even bought Wireless headphones now.

Good for you. That's not how it's gone for me.

But I'm happy for you!

You guys really think this is true? Come on, Sony is winning this generation easily, why doing something they don't need to do just to create anger from almost everybody that bought the ps4? I would believe if it was a new Xbox one, since they have to do something, but sony??

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Congrats on your terrible latency.

haha wut?

I play lot of FPS, never had any issue. And forget about 5Ghz connection I have now with XOne. Even 6-7 years ago with regular 2.4, never experience any sort of lag.

III-V

You guys really think this is true? Come on, Sony is winning this generation easily, why doing something they don't need to do just to create anger from almost everybody that bought the ps4? I would believe if it was a new Xbox one, since they have to do something, but sony??

Some people are angry because they do not understand, concerned that the dev's will not push spec on the PS4 and instead push PS4.5 rendering them a shitty experience. I just do not see this playing out that way.

Sony needs a 4k UHD player. PS3 sold a lot of units way back when it was an affordable and one of the best blue-ray players. Sony pushes 4k TV sets, cameras, and movies. They do not have a standalone player. Expect that to be PS4.5, along with some added muscle for gamers.

Welp confirmed to me by two reps over dinner. Hardware will have a de

Care to finish that sentence?

xaosslug

whalp.

lKYvzBh.gif

Teeth

haha wut?

I play lot of FPS, never had any issue. And forget about 5Ghz connection I have now with XOne. Even 6-7 years ago with regular 2.4, never experience any sort of lag.

Wifi is inherently unreliable. While the throughput can be the same as wired, the additional overhead for frames means that delays happen. Additionally, any interference causes packet loss, wavering frame timing, and additional ACK overhead. Any channel interference will just sit as additional latency on top of the inherent lossy, unreliable, bloated overhead that wifi needs to just work in general.

Most wifi is also unidirectional (half duplex), unlike wired (though that is getting better with new standards).

Also, even though you could be rocking 802.11n on your one device, if you have another device in your house that is only 802.11a or b (like a Wii), it is slowing down the entire chain as your router is likely opting into compatibility mode. Only one device is talking at a time, in sequence, so you can have a laugh at your Wii slowing everything else down. Hopping onto the 5Ghz network will alleviate this (as it's exclusive to 802.11n and ac devices).

Also, depending on how far away you are from your modem, wifi steps down the speeds and ups the latency. Multipath fading/interference can become an issue if you up the power levels to compensate.

You may not be noticing that your connection is "bad", but it will be better 100% of the time with wired. Also, your opponents may be the ones who are noticing.

I also hope I don't see you in any thread complaining about a game's netcode.

III-V

I've been verified. Software will have a defining application. I couldn't get anything else after that other then they don't know when to launch this product.

A defining application? Are you able to say clearly what that means or give any additional context? I am really interested to see how this plays out.

RedSwirl

Wifi is inherently unreliable. While the throughput can be the same as wired, the additional overhead for frames means that delays happen. Additionally, any interference causes packet loss, wavering frame timing, and additional ACK overhead. Any channel interference will just sit as additional latency on top of the inherent lossy, unreliable, bloated overhead that wifi needs to just work in general.

Most wifi is also unidirectional (half duplex), unlike wired (though that is getting better with new standards).

Also, even though you could be rocking 802.11n on your one device, if you have another device in your house that is only 802.11a or b (like a Wii), it is slowing down the entire chain as your router is likely opting into compatibility mode. Only one device is talking at a time, in sequence, so you can have a laugh at your Wii slowing everything else down. Hopping onto the 5Ghz network will alleviate this (as it's exclusive to 802.11n and ac devices).

Also, depending on how far away you are from your modem, wifi steps down the speeds and ups the latency. Multipath fading/interference can become an issue if you up the power levels to compensate.

You may not be noticing that your connection is "bad", but it will be better 100% of the time with wired. Also, your opponents may be the ones who are noticing.

I also hope I don't see you in any thread complaining about a game's netcode.

That might be true and all, but everybody doesn't have the choice to have their console connected to wired. Basically everyone I've seen use a recent console has it connected to wifi, usually because the router or wired internet port is in another room or on a different floor. Mots people don't want to run hundreds of feet of cable into a console. Hell, my desktop is connected to a wireless bridge. I'd happily go wired if I could. In my experience power line is no better than wifi, but then again my internet line is only 50mbps to begin with.

AC wifi is an upgrade I imagine most console users would actually benefit from.

III-V

I have another dinner this week coming up. I will try to figure it out.

Thanks Boogz.

As far as applications go, I can think of displaying 4k content or VR supplement/enhancement.

Otherwise, ps4.5 not necessary.

Sorry for that first reply. My son always wants to mess with my phone when I'm on it. That's for the heckling GAF!

welcometoneogaf.gif

PrimeRib_

I don't think PC power users users would switch to console regardless unless they were swayed by one of the ex

It's anecdotal but in my tight gaming circle of 8, all but two have a PS4 because of PC graphical preference, though the line is blurring more and more. A PS4.5 in 4K could easily change that.

MogCakes

It's anecdotal but in my tight gaming circle of 8, all but two have a PS4 because of PC graphical preference, though the line is blurring more and more. A PS4.5 in 4K could easily change that.

Not implausible yeah. A lot of core gamers play both PC and console. I'd think those who jump in already have some amount of interest in the PS4 though, they're just sitting on the fe

Teeth

That might be true and all, but everybody doesn't have the choice to have their console connected to wired. Basically everyone I've seen use a recent console has it connected to wifi, usually because the router or wired internet port is in another room or on a different floor. Mots people don't want to run hundreds of feet of cable into a console. Hell, my desktop is connected to a wireless bridge. I'd happily go wired if I could. In my experience power line is no better than wifi, but then again my internet line is only 50mbps to begin with.

AC wifi is an upgrade I imagine most console users would actually benefit from.

Which is why the first thing I said was:
The only reason you should ever use wifi is if you absolutely can not in any way get an ethernet cord hooked up.

And even then, you should probably look into sending internet over your power lines.

Wifi is garbage.

But yeah, ac is a good step forward.

thuway

Boogz does this sound like an entirely new APU/Design or is this more of a modification of existing hardware choices? The new software sounds pretty cool, kind of a PlayStation OS to take advantage of 4K?

Is there any logic or reason behind this? To help purport VR? To keep hardware cycles fresh? To offer a "premium" device with minimal design changes?

If Boogs is talking about "defining application" and "not being sure when to ship" - it sounds like they have a design ethos and hardware choices in tact. ^_^ talk about hype train boys. It's interesting that hardware reps are on board too. It sounds like the circle of people who are learning about this is growing, it won't be long before a document of specs leaks kind of like it did for Orbis.

onQ123

Boogz does this sound like an entirely new APU/Design or is this more of a modification of existing hardware choices? The new software sounds pretty cool, kind of a PlayStation OS to take advantage of 4K?

Is there any logic or reason behind this? To help purport VR? To keep hardware cycles fresh? To offer a "premium" device with minimal design changes?

What what? what new software & PS OS?

Top Bottom