• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Shahed

Wishful thinking: here's hoping PS4K includes 802.11ac Wi-Fi, something that's so lacking in current console but has now become a standard.

Won't something better be about by then? Besides whatever it is it still won't be as good as Ethernet. They should still do it though.

However I'd far prefer a proper SATA connection so I can put an SSD in

yea if that the case might as well not make a 4.5, the hardcore will only shell out that much money for a console, and it needs to have all kind of options, like 60fps/1080p option for people who don't own a 4k tv but want a better experience. if you're gonna make a elite console, it should be elite not just support 4k resolution. it's like when the p3 was 249$ would you pay 400$ for a ps3 that can only do 1080p?

Back then i would have because last gen was way to long .
And 720p look rather bad on my TV .
Plan to get a 4k tv next year so having a PS4k would be a plus for me .

ZoyosJD

But this will be newer tech in the PS4.5

If it's newer tech then it won't be purely a die shrink and clock boost, it'll be a change in architecture to reach that level of performance for such a short time frame, and we are still talking end of 2017 because hardware is going to be released in November from here on out after this gens day one sales and in 2016 the hardware will still be too new, untested, and expensive.

onQ123

If it's newer tech then it won't be purely a die shrink and clock boost, it'll be a change in architecture to reach that level of performance for such a short time frame, and we are still talking end of 2017 because hardware is going to be released in November from here on out after this gens day one sales and in 2016 the hardware will still be too new, untested, and expensive.

If PS4.5 is doing 4K it's most likely some newer tech in it than in the PS4 unless the die shrink just allowed them to add more CUs & clock higher.

Man

Side note - "PS4K" would actually be a pretty clever name.
It's a winner for many reasons. Almost as if the stars crossed for them really.
It's informative and to the point. It appeals strongly to the tech hungry but doesn't leave behind those who decides to take things at their own pace.

Dubz

I've only seen this as a common complaint from power users, AKA lots of GAF. Elsewhere, people don't seem to care all that much about power.
The core gamer is the key market though. Casuals have sold their Wii's for iPhones.

That being said, I hate the idea of 3 year consoles. Probably going to just go back to being a PC gamer.

Here's a question for speculation:

Nintendo has announced that Wii U production will end this year, making the console a 4 year cycle with the release of NX hopefully later this year. Looking back, a lot of console generations were 4 years long.

PS4.5 and Xbox 1.5 may release at the end of 2017, also making it a 4 year cycle, but forcefully extending it's cycle to 8 years by making it an iteration. Should we expect future generations to be 4 year cycles for gaming, with a new iteration boosting the cycle to 8 years? Do you guys believe Sony and Microsoft are desperate to extend the generation of the console cycle to match last gen's anomaly?

RaijinFY

Nintendo has announced that Wii U production will end this year, making the console a 4 year cycle with the release of NX hopefully later this year. Looking back, a lot of console generations were 4 years long.

PS4.5 and Xbox 1.5 may release at the end of 2017, also making it a 4 year cycle, but forcefully extending it's cycle to 8 years by making it an iteration. Should we expect future generations to be 4 year cycles for gaming, with a new iteration boosting the cycle to 8 years? Do you guys believe Sony and Microsoft are desperate to extend the generation of the console cycle to match last gen's anomaly?

One thing is sure, if the PS4.5 sees the light, i wouldnt expect a proper PS5 anytime soon.

vpance

So PS4K is real? Why not just wait until PS5? Sounds like a bad idea.

Cuz AMD is making it possible with Polaris. MS and Sony likely won't need to sell these at a loss either, so that's money left on the table if they don't do this now that the hardware is x86 with easy compatibility. Then there's the push for 4K which of course Sony has a vested interest in.

And also I think they know PS5 isn't happening until at least 2020, which is when 8-10x more power is doable at $399. I know I don't want a PS5 until it's a proper jump. Hardcore gamers (and devs too) don't want another gen stuck with weak hardware for that long so releasing a .5 mid way quenches that thirst for better performing games.

Jerm411

Has there been any updated rumors/leaks on a possible trade up or upgrade deal for current PS4 owners...? That'd be nice esp. after dropping 500+ on PSVR...

gatti-man

Cuz AMD is making it possible with Polaris. MS and Sony likely won't need to sell these at a loss either, so that's money left on the table if they don't do this now that the hardware is x86 with easy compatibility. Then there's the push for 4K which of course Sony has a vested interest in.

And also I think they know PS5 isn't happening until at least 2020, which is when 8-10x more power is doable at $399. I know I don't want a PS5 until it's a proper jump. Hardcore gamers (and devs too) don't want another gen stuck with weak hardware for that long so releasing a .5 mid way quenches that thirst for better performing games.

This is exactly how I see it and would love for this to become standard practice.

ReBurn

Gold Member

I believe that you are overthinking this. If Sony or Microsoft release .5 versions I can't see how that extends the current generation. They either end up in the position of supporting two consoles at once or they end production of the current version and focus on the new one. But either way, would the new console be considered the same generation? I can't see how it would.

I believe that you are overthinking this. If Sony or Microsoft release .5 versions I can't see how that extends the current generation. They either end up in the position of supporting two consoles at once or they end production of the current version and focus on the new one. But either way, would the new console be considered the same generation? I can't see how it would.

Wrong. PS1 was still supported while PS2 sold. PS2 was still supported while PS3 was sold. PS3 is/was still supported while PS4 no sells. This is not different other than the fact that we are looking at true backwards compatibility due to lack of major architecture overhaul.

ZoyosJD

If PS4.5 is doing 4K it's most likely some newer tech in it than in the PS4 unless the die shrink just allowed them to add more CUs & clock higher.

I don't know where you are trying to reach with your speculation. My point is that the next Playstation console will not be capable of rendering VR / 4k games at a reasonable price, and within a power envelop similar to the PS4 until 2017 when both the node and architecture shifts. I also don't expect a release date outside of the holiday time frame for purely fiscal reasons.

I have some questions regarding forward compatibility:

1) Is libGNM/GNMX forward compatible like DirectX?

2) Will PS4.5 be able to run all existing PS4 games at 1080p60 without any patching and/or optimization?

For example, Assassin's Creed Unity runs at 20-25fps last time I checked.

I have some questions regarding forward compatibility:

1) Is libGNM/GNMX forward compatible like DirectX?

2) Will PS4.5 be able to run all existing PS4 games at 1080p60 without any patching and/or optimization?

For example, Assassin's Creed Unity runs at 20-25fps last time I checked.
1) No idea what libGNM or GNMX are but yes

2) it can run existing ps4 games at 4k/60

1) No idea what libGNM or GNMX are but yes

2) it can run existing ps4 games at 4k/60
1) GNM = Mantle/DX12-like API
GNMX = DX11-like API

2) 4k60? LOL, no fucking way! 1080p60 would suffice for me, as long as there are no strings attached.

Mind you, I'm talking about native rendering, not some kind of upscaling/interpolation BS.

I don't know where you are trying to reach with your speculation. My point is that the next Playstation console will not be capable of rendering VR / 4k games at a reasonable price, and within a power envelop similar to the PS4 until 2017 when both the node and architecture shifts. I also don't expect a release date outside of the holiday time frame for purely fiscal reasons.

To summarize, Zoetis confirmed Sony releasing a system capable of rendering 4K current gen games at 30fps in 2016 with no custom options, or devs changing asset quality. (Outside of downsampling, little incentive for gamers with 1080p sets) And this will not be expensive apparently (laughed at the notion that this will come near $800).

Zoetis will officially reach God-tier status if everything here is correct, because from everything i'm reading, it looks like all this cannot be possible. 4K rendering, affordable and in 2016?

Hexa

To summarize, Zoetis confirmed Sony releasing a system capable of rendering 4K current gen games at 30fps in 2016 with no custom options, or devs changing asset quality. (Outside of downsampling, little incentive for gamers with 1080p sets) And this will not be expensive apparently (laughed at the notion that this will come near $800).

Zoetis will officially reach God-tier status if everything here is correct, because from everything i'm reading, it looks like all this cannot be possible. 4K rendering, affordable and in 2016?

He also said to wait for E3. Tbh I think he just got lucky on TLG, but if even most of what he said is true, he'll be the new cboat.

Hawk269

Has there been any updated rumors/leaks on a possible trade up or upgrade deal for current PS4 owners...? That'd be nice esp. after dropping 500+ on PSVR...

I don't think there would be a trade-up program sponsored by Sony, but I am sure that Stores like GameStop will have trade-in/trade up offers. Again, if this is true.

Hawk269

I don't know about being able to render current titles at true 4k/30fps and not upscaled. A closed system should be able to cut down on costs, but I would think if they could make a console that could play existing games at 4k/30fps it would be $699.99 or so and that is stretching it.

It is all a bit interesting and all I want is systems that are able to do 1080p/60fps with better AA solutions to improve image quality. If these updated machines could do that, I would be more than happy...if some miracle happens and they manage to do 4k/30fps, then my jaw will drop. Thing with 4k, you don't need AA at all or maybe a small amount. On my gaming rig, a lot of times having AA solutions on/off hardly make any difference because at that pixel density, jaggies usually are not a problem at all.

onQ123

AMD is releasing 14nm chips this year & with that Sony can have a 4K system using around the same power as the PS4 at a cheap price. they could have a DSP for reprojection & up-rendering to 4K that's not using much power.

RedSwirl

This is how the idea of conventional "generations" ends.

The difference between the PS4.5 and the PS5, would probably be similar to the difference between the PS4 and the PS4.5. The only difference would be the name branding. The PS5 would just be another upgrade of the same chip set.

dano1

A Sheep

The difference between the PS4.5 and the PS5, would probably be similar to the difference between the PS4 and the PS4.5. The only difference would be the name branding. The PS5 would just be another upgrade of the same chip set.

Yep. Bring it on!!

III-V

No, I don't think that makes sense. PS5 would need to be its own organism, distinct from PS4 & PS4.5, PS5 would not necessarily require backwards compatibility to PS4, which PS4.5 must require. There is a good reason they are not calling it PS5. The PS5 will have the generational gap.

RedSwirl

No, I don't think that makes sense. PS5 would need to be its own organism, distinct from PS4 & PS4.5, PS5 would not necessarily require backwards compatibility to PS4, which PS4.5 must require. There is a good reason they are not calling it PS5. The PS5 will have the generational gap.

But why do that?

In all likelihood Sony (and Microsoft) is sticking with x86 architecture for the foreseeable future. There's really no reason to start over with a completely distinct chip set anymore. Even if PS5 is a much greater leap over the PS4 and PS4.5, there's no reason for it not to essentially be a new piece of the same platform. It's the same as jumping from iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 really.

Top Bottom