• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

He didn't leak those. Siliconera leaked FF7R and Shenmue was pretty much started by Suzuki posting a picture of a forklift. It's also worth nothing that verification only mean that people are in a position to know things not that everything they say is accurate.
solidsnakex in shambles!
tumblr_inline_nwvq9z8MRG1qbiz5t_540.gif

vcc

How do you know this strategy is a failure in the console space when it hasn't been done like this?

This strategy is just a little younger than video games. Atari tried it out and found all of the game makers just targeted the larger install base of the 2600/2800/5200/7800. The console exclusives and the platform holder push to the next one was pioneered by Nintendo and the console market as we know it was semi-created by them.

Other attempts at base hardware upgrades were the SG-1000/SC-3000/SG-1000 II (sega), the 32x/SegaCD, TG16/Duo/PC Engine SuperGrafx/, 3DOs general intent, GB/GB color, DS/DSi, 3DS/NEW 3DS.

Video game history is littered with attempts at this that failed.

And why would current console owners be so annoyed with a newer model capable of a few more peas and frames that they would swear off Playstation? Especially when they will most likely be able to trade in their console and pay a (hopefully) small fee to get it themselves, if they're so envious?

It costs money. No one wants to be second class, especially if they just bought this thing 1-2 years ago. 5-8 years, that's just time passing. More mentally acceptable.

orochi91

I seriously could not imagine the current generation hardware lasting for another 3 or 4 years. PC is progressing extremely fast at this rate and the current consoles are serviceable, but dated.

On top of the performance upgrades, PS4 needs a 5ghz AC wifi adapter. Maybe they could use this opportunity to produce controllers with better build quality and batteries. Add more usb ports to the core system. These upgrades are needed if they want this generation to persist for the length of the last one before a full iteration is needed.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

The coming line-up from AMD and NVIDIA are rumoured to have high-end GPUs that could be pushing double-digit Tflops.

PS4's 1.81TF just seems so....pedestrian in comparison.

The main thing I'm struggling to wrap my head around is the intended price. Looking at what you need for a decent 4k experience on PC, I just can't work out how this thing would be in a price bracket that's affordable to most? I guess the thing I can't work out most of all is how Sony are swinging back to the premium price idea after the PS3 and the way the launch of PS4 and Xbox One unfolded, of which price must have been a factor.

This whole topic is bananas

So what... 4K games could easily mean less intensive games that can be processed at 4k

Unless some groundbreaking new tech is working miracles behind the scenes at Sony i dont see how they could push that much power with a 4.5 iteration

I imagine ms and sony will switch out the old models thus reducing confusion. That way they get potential upgrades and a new soft launch.

If this hits the same time as VR then Sony are going to have an incredible year.

Papacheeks

Banned
I think we will see a lot more 4K content by 2017. The movies in production right now or released as of Star Wars are ready for the 4K market to take off. There maybe 25 or so 4K blu-ray movies in the market right now, but that number will change and will be in hundreds, just like Avatar changed the number for 3D movies. However, unlike 3D, 4K has real benefits and is not a gimmick. Movies are already shot close to 4K, so there is nothing extra that has to be done there to bring it to mass market. Right now the MSRP of 4K and 3D blu-ray movies is in the same $29.99 range (with regular blu-rays in the $24.99 range), so it's easier for the studio to justify the price.

Just as an idea, in the wedding industry, I can already produce native 4K wedding films if necessary. The content is already there. The demand will be generated when your home hardware next year is all 4K and beyond. The good thing it'll do is make 1080p TVs dirt cheap. Though since you're talking about Cable/Satellite market, know that they've always been the last one to adopt any technological advancement, always. They were the last to provide 720p, and the last to provide 1080p. They will be the last to provide 4K. And yet, they're already announcing 4KTV content for the mass market for select channels (e.g. Rogers 4K service: http://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/4k).

Also, you're right. It makes sense to finish this generation. However, VR changed this generation and is forcing it to jump ahead. Microsoft making XBO a Windows platform and treating it as an upgrading hardware is forcing Sony to jump ahead. PC already forcing folks to upgrade their hardware for VR is making Sony to jump ahead. The push of 4K movies and the finalization of HDMI specs for 4K not meeting that of current consoles is doing the same. Sony is an electronics company, and they will never have a gimped hardware running their superior products without them complimenting each other. PS4K will compliment 4KTVs that your future TV buyers will get. This generation was always destined to be shorter, but there's no way to cut it short without losing backwards compatibility or other shenanigans. Refreshing the hardware is a much smarter gamble.

You're also right that when PS5 releases (if it does), some folks maybe hesitant and say "I just bought a PS4K!" and won't make the jump until PS5K (lol) is released. Remember though, this will be a 4 year wait from PS4 to PS4K. I'm sure the games won't stop developing for PS4 until two or so years down the line to PS5's release.

Sony is the market leader they dont need to do anything. ANd Microsoft can come back if they just put into place things for legacy studios.

Synth

I think you are overestimating the number of people who would buy new console just because they are new. I don't think 30 million people bought PS4 because they couldn't resist buying it.

The majority bought it cause to them it was the superior 8th generation console (I'm talking about 8th gen vs 7th gen, not X1 vs PS4), shinier graphics, better performances, more games, etc. And IMO, a very big part of that was the fact that it would last them for the next 6-7 years to come. The device that they just bought will be the superior gaming device for the next 6-7 years. That's a very strong mindset that compels people to buy consoles shortly after their release.

But after PS4.5 that factor will be gone for PS5 and I think that will be a big deal.

People like to know that they are getting the superior version of the stuff that they are buying and when PS5 comes around, many will know that in a few (short) years that thing will be inferior, and that can and will affect their decision to buy it or just wait for the superior version.

Well, in the case of a PS5, all that would remain tbh. It'd be the PS4.5 that wouldn't have any new games. That wouldn't have any generational leap in graphics (think a PC running 360/PS3 ports last gen), etc. The PS5 would still last 7-8 years if they're not interested in buying every iteration of the console. The .5 releases would make sense primarily for late joiners that still want the best current experience, and those that simply buy all the new stuff.

I'm not saying that 30 million people bought PS4s simply because they couldn't wait for anything else... but at the same time, I don't think a very large portion of them would have not bought the PS4 because they were instead planning to hold out for a new console releasing 3-4 years after it. That's practically as long as console generations used to be in total. If someone's thinking "but PS5.5 will be better in a few years" then they'd also be thinking that about an eventual PS6 when the PS5.5 hits... and for someone with that mindset, the base console at the start of the generation makes the most sense is they're not planning to simply upgrade at each step.

The main thing I'm struggling to wrap my head around is the intended price. Looking at what you need for a decent 4k experience on PC, I just can't work out how this thing would be in a price bracket that's affordable to most? I guess the thing I can't work out most of all is how Sony are swinging back to the premium price idea after the PS3 and the way the launch of PS4 and Xbox One unfolded, of which price must have been a factor.
The only way it works is its a new sku that sits next to the current one. Sell one at $300 or so and another at a higher price

Sony is the market leader they dont need to do anything. ANd Microsoft can come back if they just put into place things for legacy studios.

As a market leader, you need to continue being the leader and the innovator. They're releasing a brand new product in October that realistically is on a hardware that's lacking.

My prediction, Microsoft's next hardware is going to comply with the minimum specs of Oculus Rift.

Noirulus

Why would they be? Same system but with better specs, if they want to they can pretty up their games for the upgraded hardware or just not and it will still benefit frame rate wise. Upgrades every 4 to 5 years instead of generational resets every 5-7 is actually what devs want.

Unless the games will still work on the older console, this just fragments the user base. On the other hand, unless the upgrade is simply increasing the RAM/Processing power, the devs will have to build new tools and they'll have to deal with the hassle of building two different builds for one platform.

I don't get why so many people are angry, you wouldn't need to buy this to play the newest games. In theory if this is replacing the traditional generation model you could keep your regular PS4 as your primary console for a long time before actually having to upgrade and when you do you keep your whole library. New games will just look prettier or run better on the new hardware and it would probably be a while before they started phasing out support for the original PS4, probably around the time the system is 6 to 7 years old.
Think of it kinda like getting a new phone or GPU, you don't actually have to get the newest one to play the newest games.

Top Bottom