• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Anti-consumer? You want to hold back advances in technology for others because you want to feel good about your purchase?

Thats not exactly what I'm saying, and I don't even have a PS4 for the time being.

However, the concept implies that you'd have to buy every new rendition of the hardware just to keep up. It will most definitely benefit the developers, but doesn't sound like a convenience to anybody, other than the manufacturer.

If they were releasing an entirely new console it'd be a completely different talk.

Pennywise

foQiBGU.gif

It feels like this at this point.

Source for everyone who doesn't know the cat.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Cboat leaked shit accurately for 10 years. This dude corroborated The Last Guardian leak last year, and that's it. Let's not get ahead of ourselves

Yeah, people need to not take Zoetis so seriously. We have no idea who he is or what he really knows, and he certainly isn't dropping anything specific here. Could be a lucky troll, we don't know. Take it all with a grain of salt peeps.

Unless the games will still work on the older console, this just fragments the user base.

That's the point, fixing the issues with generational resets. The new hardware wouldn't have exclusives (except maybe one or two here and there) until they were ready to start phasing out the old model, likely around the time the old model was 6 or 7 years old.

thuway

Wholeheartedly agreed.

The coming line-up from AMD and NVIDIA are rumoured to have high-end GPUs that could be pushing double-digit Tflops.

PS4's 1.81TF just seems so....pedestrian in comparison.

And do you expect an entirely new process node that has just now began testing full scale production to offer yields acceptable to launch at the end of 2016?

Pachinko

I pulled a hot take on this earlier today (on twitter) and assumed all these rumblings were actually about PS5, Patrick actually replied to me saying his sources stressed that this is it's own project.

After a brief thought on it , things kind of make sense.

Let's break down a few things quickly -

1) The PS4 will be going into it's 4th holiday season this year
2) certain aspects of it's internal design are a bit under-powered , namely the CPU
3) Sony is banking a ton on VR
4) Sony is also still making TVs and need a reason to get people to upgrade to 4K
5) PSVR , neat as it may be , is still 400$ and requires it's own box to process head tracking AND a camera peripheral

Okay, so let's put all of this together now and assume that Sony is looking at it's PS4 numbers worldwide imagining how they can keep profits high, in order to keep selling PS4's at a decent clip they will probably have to drop the price every christmas going forward , Last year was the first one - 50 USD, I predict this year it will hit 299.99 USD , 2017 249.99 , 2018 199.99 and more than likely , it will bottom out at 149.99 in 2019 until the end of it's life (2023?). I had assumed a 2018 launch for PS5 , but maybe releasing this stop gap halfway there console buys them another few years ? Perhaps the actual PS5 is planned for 2022 to make sure it's a huge leap forward but this PS4K keeps things current until then ?

So imagine , you're sony and you obviously know all of the above points. The current PS4 can do 4K bluray playback with a firmware update but perhaps only just barely and with a few compromises so instead a hypothetical model is made that can handle 4K bluray more easily out of the box - and hey if that exists, why not make a model that can process PSVR without needing the PSeye / motion box to help out ? Oh, in the process of doing that the CPU just got 2 times more powerful and the GPU (thanks to die shrinks) is also a full step ahead of what's in a PS4. Hey, maybe , just maybe this hypothetical box can be marketed as a higher end PS4 - not a full generation ahead but a stop gap - it can play 4K bluray out of the box , it supports PSVR 2.0 (the 2017 model) and as a side effect , exclusive to this box - if you have the required home theater setup , 4K gaming at 30 fps OR another bonus - all those games that can't quite hit 60 fps at 1080p can do so (with a developer offered patch) AND since it's still a PS4 , anything that doesn't receive an graphical tweak update (which could be offered for free) will still run at least the same as a standard PS4.

In this way, no one really loses out, current owners can keep their systems and play PSVR with all the extra boxes and cords and people that want to upgrade can buy the newer model - perhaps if you own a PSVR , the new model PS4 simply has a PSVR cable hook up to bypass the extra box altogether ? With the right marketing and messaging the high end enthusiast market might just bite on this. Especially if sony gets it out the door for no more than 399.99 again - you have maybe a 1 TB model for that price , or if you're feeling really ridiculous the PS4K + VR package for 599.99 and at the bottom end for 299.99 the standard regular ass PS4.

A simple solution going forward is that there won't be any exclusive PS4K games, instead PS4 titles would be allowed the option to have PS4K modes - such as 4K gameplay or even 60 FPS at 1080P. No matter the case , the core gameplay of these titles would be exactly the same outside of minor graphical improvements.

Really, to those out there saying this might negate the advantage of consoles , ehh, spending 300-400$ every 3 or 4 years is still better than the PC by a fairly substantial margin. You need to buy a new GPU every 2 years in the PC world to stay up to date and those cost 500-1000$ depending on what you want, that's comparing enthusiast to enthusiast.

Above I list a price decrease scheme , what if , 2018 becomes the last year for standard PS4 sales to keep the price tag at 199.99 ? and then by 2020, the PS4K model follows suit AND in 2019 we still get a PS5 with full backwards compatibility , the key difference being that PS5 games wouldn't have to work on a PS4 unlike PS4K modes.

Really, this is an interesting idea but I expected microsoft to pull something like this off first , that's the only surprising aspect of all this news.

Pif

Banned
I think once people see the benefits they have from slight hardware bumps they will fall in reality.

It's a very good souped up PS4 at best, not a PS5. Don't expect to see stuff like A boy and his kite running on it.

zsynqx

I don't get why so many people are angry, you wouldn't need to buy this to play the newest games. In theory if this is replacing the traditional generation model you could keep your regular PS4 as your primary console for a long time before actually having to upgrade and when you do you keep your whole library. New games will just look prettier or run better on the new hardware and it would probably be a while before they started phasing out support for the original PS4, probably around the time the system is 6 to 7 years old.
Think of it kinda like getting a new phone or GPU, you don't actually have to get the newest one to play the newest games.

How do you know that current PS4 games won't be gimped?

Chumpion

The only sense I can make out of this is that Sony believes that foveated rendering won't be ready soon and wants a 4k VR solution as a stopgap.

orochi91

Yeah, people need to not take Zoetis so seriously. We have no idea who he is or what he really knows, and he certainly isn't dropping anything specific here. Could be a lucky troll, we don't know. Take it all with a grain of salt peeps.

+1

Don't believe Zoetis, folks.

The things he's implying, with regards to the PS4.5's specs, are far too outlandish.

Thats not exactly what I'm saying, and I don't even have a PS4 for the time being.

However, the concept implies that you'd have to buy every new rendition of the hardware just to keep up. It will most definitely benefit the developers, but doesn't sound like a convenience to anybody, other than the manufacturer.

If they were releasing an entirely new console it'd be completely different talk.

You're missing the point, the whole concept means the opposite of that.

Beartruck

Screw it, the next game machine I'm spending money on is a PC. Why bother getting a console anymore if you gotta update every year like with PC's?

mario_O

So my guess:

It will play 4K games but mostly indie titles.

AAA games will still be 1080p but at 60fps.

It will also play 4K Blu rays.

PSVR titles will run native 90-120 fps instead of using reprojection like in vanilla PS4.

DieH@rd

Banned
so it's 4k capable, vastly more powerful, and cheap

okie dokie LOL

Just off the top of my head... PS4 with 28nm AMD APU has 1.8TF with ~115 Watts under load now [it was ~150-160W with launch version of console]. AMD openly promotes that 14nm Polaris architecture can achieve up to 2.5x power per watt peformance gain. If new console remains on 115W, that would be a bit over 4TF. If they go with 150+W, that's easily over 5TF. Just with a switch to a newer APU. They could also offer higher clock for a memory, or add a bit more [there is 8 empty slots on the back of the mobo now after all] if they want.

These are not earth-shattering gains, but they are enough to give PS4 very nice boost without creating a brand new console.

[and yes, I talked here about total system power use, I was just simplifying discussion]

Top Bottom