• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

TM94

Just seen Shuhei Yoshida taking his PS4 back to Walmart

Clearly knows the upgrade is releasing soon and no need to keep old tech.

ZehDon

As a market leader, you need to continue being the leader and the innovator. They're releasing a brand new product in October that realistically is on a hardware that's lacking...
I agree with the first part, but I disagree with the bold. Selling PSVR at a profit, making smaller experiences, keeping the bulk of their first party talent on standard AAA titles; Sony are hedging bets. No one knows if VR is gonna blow up this year, or five years from now. Releasing new hardware this early will only alienate their faithful, all to push an unknown that costs more than their console? Not a snow balls chance.

MTC100

Banned
4k? They should rather make sure that all the games run in 60FPS that would be a much bigger benefit than 4K, especially for gaming.

LostDonkey

So my guess:

It will play 4K games but mostly indie titles.

AAA games will still be 1080p but at 60fps.

It will also play 4K Blu rays.

PSVR titles will run native 90-120 fps instead of using reprojection like in vanilla PS4.

Doesn't it use reprojection to get around the limitations of HDMI?

I thought HDMI was capped at 60hz? Example, I have to use DVI Dual link to get 120hz on my monitor as HDMI is capped to 60. So even if the PS4.5 had enough grunt, it would still need reprojection unless it had a dvi-d or DP port.

What cable does the VR headset attach to the PS4 with?

What else would it be? Still a separate platform. Might as well wait 2 more years and release PS5.

Why would you fuck with 36 million owners?

It's an upgrade, not a generational reset. If this is true then you can't think of it in terms of generations like we've had up until now, it would literally just be a PS4 but stronger, they wouldn't be abandoning the current PS4 owners, games would just look and or run better on the new hardware.
I don't understand why people are having a hard time understanding this concept.

platina

iirc Zoetis also said that some developers had access to the complete 7th core of the ps4 cpu when everyone else thought it was some low percentage like xb1. It was some time ago though but it seems he does have credibility since he was vetted by bish himself

tebunker

Banned
Yeah, because Apple created that. I swear some of you have been living under a rock. I guess car manufacturers, TV manufacturers, other cellphone makers take a 5 year break after they release one of their products.

You can have your bias, just don't make shit up. It's embarrassing.

You're not really comparing apples to apples there. Yeah I agree phones and tech in general have always had a similar cycle. Apple was truly just the first to fully get it accepted at a huge rate.

Cars on the other hand. They are a totally different beast and honestly I dont think are comparable.

What else would it be? Still a separate platform. Might as well wait 2 more years and release PS5.

Why would you fuck with 36 million owners?

Except releasing a PS5 would be worse for devs. It resets the user base again. With common parts, manufacturers have no more reason to go with that model. Incremental upgrades is much better for secs as they no longer have to develop the game twice if they want to target the new console and the old console. They just query the hardware using some API and load up a configuration file that turns on and off effects as well as deciding which assets to load and call it a day. For consumers, it's a plus in that they don't have to fall behind in tech if they don't want and have the funds to upgrade. For manufacturers and their partners like AMD, it's an opportunity to make more money. It's a win for anyone who is rational.

Lingitiz

So my guess:

It will play 4K games but mostly indie titles.

AAA games will still be 1080p but at 60fps.

It will also play 4K Blu rays.

PSVR titles will run native 90-120 fps instead of using reprojection like in vanilla PS4.

Part of me thinks the upgrade will be less massive than that, even if the tech is capable of more. Games that run below 1080p will get there resolution increase. Games that already run at 30 will have more consistent framerates. I suspect this thing might get an SSD too which would improve load times for alot of games.

xaosslug

who is Zoetis and why is everyone taking their posts to heart?
er7WFm8.gif

Fezan

So thia means that I should sell my ps4 right now.

Also no need to buy psvr because if ps4.5 can render game at 4k we should wait for vr with 2160p res screen

FLAguy954

Yeah, because Apple created that. I swear some of you have been living under a rock. I guess car manufacturers, TV manufacturers, other cellphone makers take a 5 year break after they release one of their products.

Seriously. The console hardware industry is not in a fucking vacuum. Mostly all other major hardware industries refresh their hardware/products way more often than the console industry. The system in place now is ancient business-wise and it needs to change imo.

While they may do annual releases, how often do you buy a new car and TV?

grumble

I hope so, it an aging business model.

I agree (but people who are afraid of change probably won't).

I disagree that it is an aging business model. The advantage of a console is that it is a fixed platform. This means that developers can specifically target a set of hardware. This allows a console sold at a cheap price point to perform at a level that belies its price.

The thing is, targeting a specific model is expensive, both for the initial cost of developing the engine and for creating content that can work around the console's limitations. Developers need to have the time to create enough games at a large enough installed base to recoup that cost. Fragmenting that installed base with two different types of hardware kills that advantage by both reducing the payback and reducing the low level coding that a developer can use to make your games shine.

It's also bad for gamers. These periodic upgrades mean that games will often be made to work on both platforms, which means a lot of games will be ports. That means under using the top end and having crap performance on the bottom. It also costs consumers more, and keeps console makers from making any big leaps that might hurt backwards compatibility.

Well, in the case of a PS5, all that would remain tbh. It'd be the PS4.5 that wouldn't have any new games. That wouldn't have any generational leap in graphics (think a PC running 360/PS3 ports last gen), etc. The PS5 would still last 7-8 years if they're not interested in buying every iteration of the console. The .5 releases would make sense primarily for late joiners that still want the best current experience, and those that simply buy all the new stuff.

I'm not saying that 30 million people bought PS4s simply because they couldn't wait for anything else... but at the same time, I don't think a very large portion of them would have not bought the PS4 because they were instead planning to hold out for a new console releasing 3-4 years after it. That's practically as long as console generations used to be in total. If someone's thinking "but PS5.5 will be better in a few years" then they'd also be thinking that about an eventual PS6 when the PS5.5 hits... and for someone with that mindset, the base console at the start of the generation makes the most sense is they're not planning to simply upgrade at each step.
Why would the base consoles make more sense for them when the superior consoles of the generations would be the x.5s?

They are basically waiting 7-8 years between buying a new console, and since they want the better irritation I think it would make more sense for most people to just wait for x.5s instead of buying the base ones.

Paracelsus

Seriously. The console hardware industry is not in a fucking vacuum. Mostly all other major hardware industries refresh their hardware/products way more often than the console industry. The system in place now is ancient business-wise and it needs to change imo.

This is the false equivalence that just can't be let go. Consoles are toys, you don't refresh your toy, you refresh the phone that can't catch up with the facebook bloat and ran out of storage.

RootCause

Also no need to buy psvr because if ps4.5 can render game at 4k we should wait for vr with 2160p res screen
I wouldn't say that. Heck, we don't even know what this supposed ps4.5 is capable of. Personally it would have to be a very large system(and expensive) to be able to pull all of that. Very unlikely.

I disagree that it is an aging business model. The advantage of a console is that it is a fixed platform. This means that developers can specifically target a set of hardware. This allows a console sold at a cheap price point to perform at a level that belies its price.

The thing is, targeting a specific model is expensive, both for the initial cost of developing the engine and for creating content that can work around the console's limitations. Developers need to have the time to create enough games at a large enough installed base to recoup that cost. Fragmenting that installed base with two different types of hardware kills that advantage by both reducing the payback and reducing the low level coding that a developer can use to make your games shine.

It's also bad for gamers. These periodic upgrades mean that games will often be made to work on both platforms, which means a lot of games will be ports. That means under using the top end and having crap performance on the bottom. It also costs consumers more, and keeps console makers from making any big leaps that might hurt backwards compatibility.

There is no more low level coding. It's all going across an api on top of the OS on top of a fairly standard architecture. People need to retire the concept of the metal. The metal is long dead

If he price is right i'd bag new tech for 300 every few years.

Technology moves too fast to sit on it for years and years. Gimme a new box every 2-3 and make it fully BC and we're good.

3 years might be the sweet spot.

RE_Player

Good for Patrick getting this big scoop on his way out of Kotaku. Site is probably going down with all of Gawker after the lawsuit.

Nanashrew

Banned
So both MS and Sony want me to sell my consoles. Got it. I mean I have a 4k TV and plan on getying PSVR so I might be in for a PS4.5 but why the fuck should I buy any new consoles going forward if they are going to be obsolete in less than 4 years? At least release more first party titles before trying to get me to upgrade. If Sony releases there games on PC, I'd have no reason to ever buy another console again.

Not just MS and Sony, Nintendo NX is going to do it too. This is the future of consoles and generational cycles.

HooYaH

Part of me thinks the upgrade will be less massive than that, even if the tech is capable of more. Games that run below 1080p will get there resolution increase. Games that already run at 30 will have more consistent framerates. I suspect this thing might get an SSD too which would improve load times for alot of games.

So you're saying that Bloodborne will finally be 30fps?

Sarobi

Banned
Sony @ E3: We read the GAF thread, and we've seen people aren't too sure about a PS4.5... so here is PS5 INSTEAD! 699! 4K! INDIES! BWAHAHA

orochi91

I'm gonna hold off until E3.

If it''s releasing this year, then yea sell it.

That will help fund my PS4.5 upgrade.

DieH@rd

Banned
I think that everything will be fine if Sony enforces one rule to devs:
1. ALWAYS TARGET PS4! Fucking always. Even when PS5 is out [which will get much more significant perforamnce bump], its crossgen games need to target the basic PS4.

And one rule for Sony themselves:
MAKE PS4K LIKE PSP v2000 - as in, yeah that console had double the ram, but it was used the same way. Users who switched from v1000 to v2000 felt no difference in OS, library, apps, services... Repeat that with PS4K [but sure, you can upgrade quality of GameDVR/RP/SharePlay/livestreaming :D].

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If I have to spend 4-5 hundred to upgrade my console every two years, I'm just gonna go back to PC gaming.

Why would the base consoles make more sense for them when the superior consoles of the generations would be the x.5s?

They are basically waiting 7-8 years between buying a new console, and since they want the better irritation I think it would make more sense for most people to just wait for x.5s instead of buying the base ones.

If the rumor is true there likely never will be a "base" console for Playstation ever again, they'll just continue to upgrade every 4 or 5 years and slowly phase out support for older models probably every 6 or so years with some devs sticking around longer.

Top Bottom