• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Corto

If AAA games have to work across all version of PS4 and Xbox One it's gonna be a freaking nightmare for devs. Like a permanent cross-gen.

They do it already for PC. This will only add another fixed target in terms of performance.

DieH@rd

Banned
So Zoetis summary:

- Won't be overly expensive (aka 399-499 pricerange)
- Wait for e3 (possible reveal)
- Releasing at the end of this year
- Will run ps4 games at higher fidelity, but won't have exclusive games made for it. Kind of like iphone6 and iphone6s. Will be running the same apps, but better.
- Will be capable of 4k gaming (But if priced at 399-499, I'm expecting something similar to 1080p gaming on the ps3)

Can you link to all of his posts pls, i missed the one about this year [which IMO seems unlikely].

Vormund

I wouldn't mind a PlayStation 4K, already have a 4K TV. :)

Also I'm ok with the Apple model of refreshes, just not every year. Maybe every 4-5, which is what it used to be anyway.

The only problem is branding, will Sony still be using sequential numbering? If it's only light refreshes, numbering may seem off.

We could get to PS9 quickly

DigSCCP

Why people are bringing PC and 4k to this?
Last gen the transition from 720p to 1080p was a lot faster than from 1080p to 4k.
Damn some of the bests games from last gen was sub HD when 1080p was already standard and 4k was already showing up.
Same thing for PCs, in 2007 we had Crysis and PC was running games in better quality than consoles just like in this generation.

jeffram

So Zoetis summary:

- Will run ps4 games at higher fidelity, but won't have exclusive games made for it. Kind of like iphone6s vs iphone6. Will be running the same apps, but better.
- Will be capable of 4k gaming (But if priced at 399-499, I'm expecting something similar to 1080p gaming on the ps3)
I just can't see them getting the price down that far with the hardware required to do what they are saying...

The GPUs that can pull this off are more than that alone.

FLAguy954

This is the false equivalence that just can't be let go. Consoles are toys, you don't refresh your toy, you refresh the phone that can't catch up with the facebook bloat and ran out of storage.

Notice how I did not explicitly mention cell phones in my post. Anyways, what the following poster says sums up how I feel:

How often do you need a new car or TV? Certainly they release annually but your old one works until you need a new one.

prwxv3

Why is the video game industry always in a vacuum? This is the future. What matters is the execution of this business model.

Paracelsus

They are no more toys than cell phones.

No they are not. A quality phone can make your browsing life on neogaf easier while you're outside, you can watch a movie on the go if your contract allows as much, you can do anything basic most people are good enough to do, having a fast phone is convenient. A console is a toy that stays at home, unless we talk 3ds and vita.

This would be no different than upgrading your pc, same costs really, because people on sandy bridge are still only upgrading their gpu for a cost probably lower than this new PS4 and still playing at a much higher quality.

RedSwirl

I think this image does a good job illustrating why a console manufacturer might go with an iterative model.

CxoTnjy.jpg

You still get better hardware periodically, but without resetting your install base and software library from zero.

Anyway, for all intents and purposes, Sony and Microsoft are probably going to stick with x86 architecture for the foreseeable future, even if they don't release new consoles until we get a PS5 in 2019 or something. In that situation, the PS5 under the hood is really just an upgraded PS4, but upgraded to a degree that we usually consider to be a "generational leap." At that point there's probably no technical reason not to do backwards compatibility or upgrade the existing OS.

Dinda

I may be in the minority here, but i like it.
I really hate the time at the end of the generation when the hardware is definitely to weak for the games that are released. The last years of 360 and PS3 were awful in that regard.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
This is ofcourse also why more games than ever release with bugs and issues that would seem to be pages long in some cases. And you want to add yet more variations for them to have to test? Getting as much away from this stuff as possible (and even consoles are being hit with them more than ever) is why numerous console gamers just go with consoles since everyone who owns the same hardware as them get the same performance (and issues to deal with).

That's such bullshit. The reason why there's more bugs is because they're building larger worlds, more systems, and generally making games more complex. With that comes exponentially more test cases and variation on how players can break the game.

Sure adding extra hardware will add to the complexity of testing, but you are so off the mark it's astounding. I can absolutely guarantee you that if someone released a game that was cartridge only in this day and age with the complexity that these games have, it would take 10 years for QA to get through all their tests and within 10 minutes of going out in the wild it would break and on top of that there would be hundreds of thousands of cards getting sent to the publisher getting flashed with the update.

So asking again, are people seemingly looking into accepting this? I wasn't able to follow the thread as it moved so quickly. Just curious, cause a different toned was being applied when MS hinted at this.

And who is Zoatic?

Synth

Why would the base consoles make more sense for them when the superior consoles of the generations would be the x.5s?

They are basically waiting 7-8 years between buying a new console, and since they want the better irritation I think it would make more sense for most people to just wait for x.5s instead of buying the base ones.

Because the .0s are the ones that will bring them new games (you'll need this one for Driveclub, for Uncharted 4, etc). The .0s will have the more noticeable graphics jump (because the games stop being created based on hardware established years ago). If you're willing to wait 4 years for a refresh, what's making you an early adopter today anyway? Why not buy the console mid-cycle for cheaper, with a larger library, and then keep that for 8 years, and do the same the following gen? It's because you want the new generation when it's new, not simply when it hits its stride. Why would a 4.5 console ruin your PS4 years later, but a PS5 wouldn't do that worse a few short years after that? In the case of the PS5, you'd actually be stuck watching games release that you can't play on your 4.5. It's the far less attractive prospect for the typical early adopter.

So games like Assassin's Creed/ Battlefront could run at 900p/30fps on the current model and the new model would run it at say 1080p/60fps? As most people are saying, 4k seems like a bit of a stretch unless they mean smaller, less graphic intensive games.

And I don't think game companies would make exclusive games for the new model but if you're into the better fps/ graphics and enjoy the plug n play nature of consoles, you can get the newer model. Plus maybe it will have faster load times or better multitasking. PS4 only uses sata 2 right? They can upgrade that. A usb c slot and a better wifi card would also be great. Better Bluetooth? Imo PS4.5 would be great.

We live in a world where we get yearly upgrades for everything (Sometimes a few months) so it kinda makes sense for us to get an upgrade half way through a cycle which lasts 5 - 8 years.

Plus Xbox might release a new model this year, maybe just a slim or an actually 1.5 upgrade. So Sony probably doesn't want to lose the most powerful console tag.

So Zoetis summary:

- Will run ps4 games at higher fidelity, but won't have exclusive games made for it. Kind of like iphone6s vs iphone6. Will be running the same apps, but better.

BULLSHIT. I am going to call that Bullshit. Take your time Sony and release it next Fall!

There is no more low level coding. It's all going across an api on top of the OS on top of a fairly standard architecture. People need to retire the concept of the metal. The metal is long dead

Yea people still got the old mindset of programming assembly to the GPU. To the metal these days just means a high level function that does something precise on the GPU as opposed to the sending a command to the GPU and it actually does four or five things but the details are hidden from you.

If the rumor is true there likely never will be a "base" console for Playstation ever again, they'll just continue to upgrade every 4 or 5 years and slowly phase out support for older models probably every 6 or so years with some devs sticking around longer.

Honestly? 6 or even 5 years wouldn't be that bad if they wanna just upgrade the consoles from now on, but right now it looks like to be 3 years and that is really bad.

Holy fuck at Zoetis in this thread.

This is legit difficult for me to to believe at this point. That its 4k legit, not insanely expensive, and this year. How is such a thing possible

HooYaH

I think that everything will be fine if Sony enforces one rule to devs:
1. ALWAYS TARGET PS4! Fucking always. Even when PS5 is out [which will get much more significant perforamnce bump], its crossgen games need to target the basic PS4.

I think this is a good policy, but when PS5.5 is out, they can ditch PS4.

Noirulus

I think with pascal chips coming out soon, processing power will become a lot cheaper. So price might not be a big issue at all.

Can you link to all of his posts pls, i missed the one about this year [which IMO seems unlikely].
----
end of the year
Dont you "panic" existing ps4 users
No, its just a more powerful PS4, I doubt any game would be developed EXCLUSIVELY for a PS4.5.
It will likely play all the same games, just at a higher resolution and framerate. Probably.
Iphone6 iphone6s

blame apple
Why? This won't be a huge upgrade. It won't render games at 4K.

It will be 4K-ready for Netflix and movies, and games will look and run slightly better.
wrong
For The Players For people with two jobs
no no
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT'S ZOETIS RECORD? WHY PEOPLE GO MAD AFTER EVERY WORD HE SAY????
Seriously.
don't ask wait for e3

bye
there you go
welp late again

Pif

Banned
Holy fuck at Zoetis in this thread.

This is legit difficult for me to to believeat this point. That its 4k legit, not insanely expensive, and this year. How is such a thing possible

E3 2015 Holy Trinity Megaton

Never forget. Everything is possible.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So if I understand this correctly if I don't have a 4k display then this supposed PS4.5 isn't really applicable to me?

Corto

To people that are so hang up on Zoetis posts: Kotaku and Patrick Keplek were the ones that ignited this with his article. Patrick already posted in this thread several times. This was not an anonymous poster on the internet posting random BS.

Flunkie

Banned
The real reason Sony is releasing Uncharted 4 before E3 is so that everyone buys the standard PS4 now to clear stock for PS4.5

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Top Bottom