• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

SeanR1221

Yes, when HDR is enabled from the game, the PS4 Pro will switch automatically, and when you quit that game will go back to RGB Full 8-bit.

Thanks for the clarification.

Ok NOW I'm done tinkering 👍

Good to know an expensive set can handle auto just fine :). I know some people are having banding/ picture problems with some sets.

Thanks for the clarification.

Ok NOW I'm done tinkering 👍

Good to know an expensive set can handle auto just fine :). I know some people are having banding/ picture problems with some sets.

So, do you mind telling me / us what your settings are now your happy? :)
Like, what do you use for HDR, what do you use for non-HDR etc?

Just trying to get some idea of everyones choices to help my own.

SeanR1221

So, do you mind telling me / us what your settings are now your happy? :)
Like, what do you use for HDR, what do you use for non-HDR etc?

Just trying to get some idea of everyones choices to help my own.

Sure when I get home I'll give my final breakdown.

Just got back 300.00 from Costco. Getting this tv for 979.00 is a killer deal.

Haines

Banned
So were in auto/auto now?

When i run the netflix app on the tv in movie mode it doesnt even let me switch the black level. Its greyed out on low.

Going to try and calibrate the set now. I guess i will just do it in movie mode, and see if when i switch it to game it keeps the same settings or what

SeanR1221

So were in auto/auto now?

When i run the netflix app on the tv in movie mode it doesnt even let me switch the black level. Its greyed out on low.

Going to try and calibrate the set now. I guess i will just do it in movie mode, and see if when i switch it to game it keeps the same settings or what

I have settings for movie mode I can post too :)

By the way the 60" just dropped to $850 with the EPP and back down to $720 for the 55". I think the 65" dropped a good amount too.

Good god... I was about to put down for Amazon's 997, but 720???

I need to get an EPP invite. Any idea how Samsung handles shipping and tax? Those could be meaningful factors.

Following along with all the conflicting opinions in this thread has been dizzying, but it sounds like those who have played good HDR examples find the difference to be worth it?

____

I need to get an EPP invite. Any idea how Samsung handles shipping and tax? Those could be meaningful factors.

Following along with all the conflicting opinions in this thread has been dizzying, but it sounds like those who have played good HDR examples find the difference to be worth it?

Free shipping and state tax.

Samsung has shut down the EPP invite, even my previous login where I purchased my TV last week with says I'm ineligible. I was charged normal sales tax of my state, free shipping.

Samsung has shut down the EPP invite, even my previous login where I purchased my TV last week with says I'm ineligible. I was charged normal sales tax of my state, free shipping.

Does the system allow / accommodate sharing logins?

(off-topic question, but feels like a good place to ask)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I want to see some of these TVs in your setups! Considering the 65" for when we re-do our basement.

MarkV

Jesus, somebody post a photo of the TV referred in the first post. Samsung have 2 KS8000 named models depending on US & EU ... but there are some aesthetic differences like the stand, i think.

tommyguns

That is not accurate.

In all auto on the PS4 pro on a non-HDR game, the PS4 Pro will output in RGB full.

Otherwise, in an HDR enabled game, the PS4 Pro will output in limited ALWAYS, regardless of PS4 Pro settings, so make sure your TV set is also in limited (auto will work as well).

See above. and make sure your set is in limited (auto should work) when playing HDR games.

Why set to limited in HDR?

I tried going back and forth between both set to full and bath set to normal, and didn't notice a difference? (Didn't do side by side obviously so my mind could have been mis remembering)

Waikis

How do people calibrate their WCG capable displays?
UHD blu rays are still graded in DCI P3 isn't it? So do you then need 2 calibration profiles? one for games in full bt 2020, and the other one for DCI P3?

Does the system allow / accommodate sharing logins?

(off-topic question, but feels like a good place to ask)

not sure, I forgot I had a perks at work login already, but both are not eligible for this new price. Sucks cause I was going to submit a Price Protection to my CC, but can't even login to see new prices :(

III-V

Why set to limited in HDR?

I tried going back and forth between both set to full and bath set to normal, and didn't notice a difference? (Didn't do side by side obviously so my mind could have been mis remembering)

This is what the PS4 is outputting (no matter what you set it at in PS4 video settings) when you are playing an HDR enabled game, so you want the TV set to match that same video range. Keeping it to auto should work as well, but make sure your TV is not set to full.

How do people calibrate their WCG capable displays?
UHD blu rays are still graded in DCI P3 isn't it? So do you then need 2 calibration profiles? one for games in full bt 2020, and the other one for DCI P3?

HDR calibration is very new. It can be calibrated with SpectraCal HDR-10 UHD test pattern set. I have never done 2020, but I can calibrate to 709.

Waikis

HDR calibration is very new. It can be calibrated with SpectraCal HDR-10 UHD test pattern set. I have never done 2020, but I can calibrate to 709.

Yeah, I've calibrated mine to rec 709 with very good results.

Why would I need a UHD test pattern? Can't I just use say a 100% saturation green test pattern and map it (as best i can) to bt 2020's x y coordinates?

III-V

Yeah, I've calibrated mine to rec 709 with very good results.

Why would I need a UHD test pattern? Can't I just use say a 100% saturation green test pattern and map it (as best i can) to bt 2020's x y coordinates?

I am still learning what it involves myself. I calibrated my X800D to 709 and just hope for the best when HDR is enabled, aside from lowering the backlight.

You can calibrate the BT. 2020 color saturation points on sets with nice CMS system.

SpectraCal is offering an $800 solution, but thats a bit much for me, right now.

http://calman.spectracal.com/hdr.html

To answer your question, you would need to map it out with that color space enabled, but yes, I think that might be able to work.

not sure, I forgot I had a perks at work login already, but both are not eligible for this new price. Sucks cause I was going to submit a Price Protection to my CC, but can't even login to see new prices :(

Rats, sounds like I'm in the unenviable position of finding someone whose login does work and asking to share.

edit: Or, alternatively, wonder if Amazon would price-match EPP XD

Haines

Banned
After another afternoon, i believe i finally got the tv exactly where i want it.

Just need to run through some different media on different modes and triple check everything!

It was suffering from an incredibly dim and washed out picture and im not even sure exactly what change fixed it but now its the best tv ive ever had.

Jesus, somebody post a photo of the TV referred in the first post. Samsung have 2 KS8000 named models depending on US & EU ... but there are some aesthetic differences like the stand, i think.

Ignore the 8000 in the U.K, you want KS7000 for U.K. Model.
8000 is a slightly higher spec over here but no real difference for the cost increase.

SeanR1221

After another afternoon, i believe i finally got the tv exactly where i want it.

Just need to run through some different media on different modes and triple check everything!

It was suffering from an incredibly dim and washed out picture and im not even sure exactly what change fixed it but now its the best tv ive ever had.

Curious to hear your settings :). Here's min.

On PS4 under sound and screen video settings: everything set to automatic

On tv
- Game mode
- Backlight 10 for SDR content, bump this to 20 on HDR (I play in a very well lit room, for SDR this might be lower for you if you play in the dark)
- brightness 50
- contrast 100
-sharpness 0
- color 50
- tint 50/50
- smart led high
- hdmi UHD color on
- hdmi black levels auto
- dynamic contrast off
- color tone warm 2
- gamma 0
- color space auto

coopolon

In the other thread dynamic contrast came up and it sounds like it should be on for hdr content.

Going to give it a try, but honestly, it's getting kind of annoying having to open the menu and change settings depending on if I am playing hdr vs not.

Does anyone know for movie mode, if I make a change in hdr will it carry over to sdr or only apply during hdr content?

Curious to hear your settings :). Here's min.

On PS4 under sound and screen video settings: everything set to automatic

On tv
- Game mode
- Backlight 10 for SDR content, bump this to 20 on HDR (I play in a very well lit room, for SDR this might be lower for you if you play in the dark)
- brightness 50
- contrast 100
-sharpness 0
- color 50
- tint 50/50
- smart led high
- hdmi UHD color on
- hdmi black levels auto
- dynamic contrast off
- color tone warm 2
- gamma 0
- color space auto

Basically my exact settings except my SDR backlight is a tad lower, my eyes are sensitive. Also Color Tone is standard for me, just too used to it

In the other thread dynamic contrast came up and it sounds like it should be on for hdr content.

Going to give it a try, but honestly, it's getting kind of annoying having to open the menu and change settings depending on if I am playing hdr vs not.

Does anyone know for movie mode, if I make a change in hdr will it carry over to sdr or only apply during hdr content?

I made an HDR change in movie mode and it didn't carry over to non-HDR. Looks like Game mode changes stay for both HDR and non, which I'm hoping Samsung addresses ASAP because it's annoying to change every time.

I find the different settings for different folks very interesting. For example I can't stand how the screen looks on Warm 1 or Warm 2 and dynamic contrast off feels way too dark for me.

I find the different settings for different folks very interesting. For example I can't stand how the screen looks on Warm 1 or Warm 2 and dynamic contrast off feels way too dark for me.

Agreed, mine is set to Standard with Dynamic Contrast set to mid/high.

Been tweaking tonight on SNF and it looks phenomenal with the Pats and Seahawks jerseys!

Eww, looking closer at my screen today I noticed this

30935157996_522ae36dd2_o.jpg

It doesn't seem to have effected the structure of the TV, or the panel. But still not happy about it.

I gave Warm a try for one whole day, couldn't do it. Guess all these years of doing cooler temps on screen my brain just adjusted. People looked jaundice on either Warms. I think Dynamic contracts depends on the source to be honest

I gave Warm a try for one whole day, couldn't do it. Guess all these years of doing cooler temps on screen my brain just adjusted. People looked jaundice on either Warms. I think Dynamic contracts depends on the source to be honest

It takes more than a day to get used to it. I'd give it at least a week and see if you just forget. The benefits of having a properly calibrated display, even if warmer than you might like are pretty serious. For the longest time I was one of those who was always like just go with what looks really good to you, and while I still hold that somewhat true, a calibrated screen is just objectively better and it's easier on the eyes.

Same. Warm 1/2 is just plain weird. Why give yourself a yellow hue?

I have noticed that Infamous: Second Son does have that affect where if you look at a bright background the foreground darkens significantly. And when you move the image to something more balanced you can really see the change. Nothing to do with the TV or HDR as it happens with and without and only this game. Uncharted 4 looks stellar and doesn't have this issue.

Haines

Banned
I just messed around with color temp.

Def sticking with warm 2. Standard is very blue.

Funnily enough something like my kids cartoon looks better on standard but I'm assuming that has to do with being a cartoon.

Titanfall 2 and a couple different things on Netflix looked drastically nicer to watch on warm2. Switching to standard was cold blue and sterile.

Same with dynamic contrast. Sure it makes the screen brighter. But now you just lost all that range on your tv. If it's all bright how are you going to have the darks.

That said I would put the settings to whatever you like and whatever makes you happy. Different media Def takes differently too different media too I think.

The hell am I looking at? Is your panel bent like crazy? That looks extreme.

Here's from the other side. I think my picture made it look much worse. The reason it looks super deformed is the black backplate seems to be unsealed slightly in places.

30971994215_ef1f1e8f96_k.jpg

I can't notice any issues with the panel, image, structure or TV itself. Seems like some slight damage to the bezel. Haven't decided if I want to contact Samsung yet. The TV itself is great.

coopolon

This TV has several software glitches that are very annoying.

It does a really bad job handling audio out over optical. Watching Netflix or playing a game, I have to change all the settings off then back again to get the proper audio (which then works fine until I watch out play something else.)

My receiver can handle all possible audio types. Ideally, say when watching Netflix, i should have the TV bitstream DD correct? And from ps4, supposedly TVs can't handle pcm passthrough so it should be bitstreaming DD or DTS?

I also has a known related audio issue very similar to this one.

Also, my Amazon app says "internet connectivity error" and rotates giving the error messages in many languages. Netflix works fine, and I reset the router (which is what it recommends in the error message).cant find anyone else describing this issue online. Can't uninstall the basic apps so reinstalling isn't an option.

This plus the game hdr bug.

I actually really like the TV! But thinkong it's going back to best buy, these bugs will drive me crazy over the next 3-4 years and I'm not confident Samsung will fix them.

Haines

Banned
I've noticed my optical screwing up the signal too but so wrapped up on the visual side I haven't checked it out yet.

Last thing I need to check is my hdr settings for game and the tv app now.

Which is difficult bc Netflix shits itself it seems in this department.

Edit:

looking for opinions on dynamic contrast for HDR in gaming. I'm testing it on the last of us. Low setting certainly brightens up the picture a bit. I'm not sure if I like it more or not.

Edit 2. Yeah I really need to do some reading on HDR and Dynamic contrast. This is tricky

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've noticed my optical screwing up the signal too but so wrapped up on the visual side I haven't checked it out yet.

Last thing I need to check is my hdr settings for game and the tv app now.

Which is difficult bc Netflix shits itself it seems in this department.

Edit:

looking for opinions on dynamic contrast for HDR in gaming. I'm testing it on the last of us. Low setting certainly brightens up the picture a bit. I'm not sure if I like it more or not.

Edit 2. Yeah I really need to do some reading on HDR and Dynamic contrast. This is tricky
I only use dynamic contrast with HDR content. Even low is enough to make a difference. I know that it's unnatural, post-processing is bad, yada yada yada, but it looks better to me.

Haines

Banned
I only use dynamic contrast with HDR content. Even low is enough to make a difference. I know that it's unnatural, post-processing is bad, yada yada yada, but it looks better to me.

Yeah. Maybe it's just because hdr is still new but I'm seeing DC low as a huge improvement over off right now.

Off is simply too dark even in a pitch black room at midnight here. I guess there's a reason the backlight cranks to 20 on HDR.

Edit: yup I'm going with dc low on games and media with HDR until I learn otherwise. It's so much better.

Hopefully we get a fix for game mode settings in HDR.

newsguy

Samsung will refund the $200 for those who bought the 65" at 1279. You just need to take a screenshot of the new price logged into your account and email it to them. $1079 for the 65" KS8000 is probably the best electronics deal I've ever taken advantage of.

luffeN

Samsung will refund the $200 for those who bought the 65" at 1279. You just need to take a screenshot of the new price logged into your account and email it to them. $1079 for the 65" KS8000 is probably the best electronics deal I've ever taken advantage of.

Do they still make profit for that price?

Haines

Banned
One thing I had to remind myself was to adjust the brightness meters in each game as well.

I find I just use there logo as a guide and set it where it looks best in game

Top Bottom