• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

yoplay

Got the 55 inch KS8000 from Amazon with the Amazon store card 24-month financing option. Sold my Samsung PNF8500 for $500. I wanted to wait out OLED until it is the perfect "for general use" tv set. Also, those bendable OLED's will be mine. I can wait.

rinse82

So after much deliberation I decided to order the 65" KS8000 using my discount through work. At $1079 it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

This will be going in the man cave and my 50" 2014 Vizio P-series will be going in the regular living room.

I hope I am not disappointed by the lack of FALD.

I got the 65KS8000 after owning the new Vizio P65 since March.

I had lower expectations for the edge-lit KS, and am pleasantly surprised by the black levels. Obviously it can't match the P65 in a dark room for night viewing, but I feel its the more well-rounded set of the two.

Was able to sell my P65 for about 70% of what I paid for it. Not bad I guess for a 9 month old TV; big ticket item so was hard to find a buyer.

Haines

Banned
Here are my final settings for this tv. I will try to add notes, and talking points. I am just a casual gamer and this is simply done from reading on here, my own eye sight and using the wow disney disc

This is on the aaou 55 inch panel. Diff panels could take diff settings!

For gaming, movies and netflix

Picture mode : movie, special viewing mode game

Go to expert settings
I use backlight anywhere from 5 at night to 10 during day. My tv is beside a sunny window in the morning.
I leave brightness at 45
Contrast at 100. My calibration seemed like it wanted it even higher so def max this out imo
Sharpness at 0 from what ive read any sharpness is bad.
Color at 53 My setup wanted those 3 extra notches. May vary by panel
Tint g52r48 again, very small difference from default and may be panel specific
Smart led high. Im not sure on this one. Ive seen it reccomended being on high for hdr so im just going to det it and forget it
Make sure hdmi uhd color is turned on for your input
Hdmi black level auto. I trust the auto setting. Hopefully the tech does what it should
Dynamic contrast off. This should be off imo. If you want it on, go for it, your tv
Color tone warm2. I found 1 thing looked better on standard. My kids paw patrol cartoon show. Anything other than warm2 looked cold and lifeless. set this to your preference in the end
White balance. I use rtings 2 point system. I have absolutely no idea if you should or not. I found my picture looked good with it, so im just going to stick with it. Please use at your discretion.
Gamma 0. Ive seen some suggestions of -1 and such. Im fine with 0. Seemed darker on -1 and i didnt think i needed any more of that on this tv
Color space auto. Set it and forget it.

Hdr for gaming!
This is bugged, you will have to manually up the backlight to 20 for hdr game content in gaming mode and back to 5-10 when you are done. Hopefully we get a fix soon
I also set dynamic contrast to low on hdr gaming. Off is simply to dark. This helps. Medium seemed to really kill the range of lighting so i stick with low for now, i might like medium, need more time to actually play a game with it. use whatever setting makes your eyes happy. Remember every room is lit different and could vary by game to game basis!

If you want 4k hdr streaming on netflix you will need to use the tv app until the ps4 one gets an update.
For this i change my source from console to tv, movie mode, with gaming turned off. This way the tv will change the backlight for hdr on its own. If you go to settings, backlight you will see it will be jacked up to 20.
If you switch to a normal sdr show, it will auto put it back to your normal backlight setting
You will not get a notification like in gaming for hdr content
For this i used marco polo.
I found i needed dynamic contrast at medium to rid of the dim image. Please set at your own preference.
You tv should switch between settings on its own between hdr and sdr content when in normal movie mode.
Do not forget that hdr mode will need its settings set, it wont take the settings from your other modes. So tune it accordingly. I also use the same color And tint and 2 point settings on my movie mode
I do not use rtings 10point. It made my colors wrong,
I leave digital clean view and auto motion plus off in movie mode. I want to do a lil more research in these though to see if there is any benefit to using them.

My tv sound is on audio out/optical with bitsream and dolby digital for my logitech 5.1 pc surround i use
Ps4 audio is hdmi out, bitstream digital
Than optical from tv to surround.hdmi from ps4 to tv

My ps4 settings are all set to auto.

Please feel free to correct me where im wrong or tell me what settings you find best

I don't believe they support HDR. Where are you seeing that stated?

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Games_List

http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/07/call-of-duty-games-will-support-ps4-pro-4k-hdr-graphics-on-day-one/

Also, I just tried HDR on daredevil again now I am home, using the Netflix app and it isnt running in HDR. When a game is running in HDR mode the HDR+ option is greyed out. I still had this option while watching Daredevil. Can anyone confirm that their netflix is displaying true HDR?

coopolon

I tried watching Netflix HDR content through the tv app last night and I don't think it worked at all.

I loaded up daredevil season 2, it said HDR on the show title, my settings didn't bump up backlight to 20. I had my pc playing the same episode in SDR on the monitor next to the to and they looked identical.

Anyone else come across this?

Daredevil season 2 doesn't have hdr, it is mislabeled. Try Marco Polo, you should definitely see it. Dd season 1 does have it but it isn't very pronounced.

BigFwoosh

So let me make sure I have this straight. When going from non-HDR to HDR content and vice-versa, you need to change video settings back and forth? Does that just apply for games or also TV/streaming services?

Really thinking about getting this TV, but the way things sound it seems like it'd be pretty annoying until a firmware update improves the experience, if that ever happens.

Haines

Banned
So let me make sure I have this straight. When going from non-HDR to HDR content and vice-versa, you need to change video settings back and forth? Does that just apply for games or also TV/streaming services?

Really thinking about getting this TV, but the way things sound it seems like it'd be pretty annoying until a firmware update improves the experience, if that ever happens.

It's only for game mode. Just a firmware glitch.

It's not a big deal. You simply turn backlight to 20 and turn Dynamic contrast on if you wish. Turn it back if you go to sdr content.

Movie mode will switch and save hdr settings automatically right now as it should.

BigFwoosh

It's only for game mode. Just a firmware glitch.

It's not a big deal. You simply turn backlight to 20 and turn Dynamic contrast on if you wish. Turn it back if you go to sdr content.

Movie mode will switch and save hdr settings automatically right now as it should.

Oh, well that sounds a lot better than I thought then. Thanks for the clarification.

rinse82

No DD+ Over ARC is kind of a bummer

I run everything through my Denon AVR and intend to keep it that way. Might have to use another device for Netflix/Plex

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Seconding this question. I'm on the same firmware but the (German) Samsung support page offers version 1150.7 (2016.11.10) for the KS7090 which is the German equivalent of the KS8000.

EDIT: Here's the link: http://www.samsung.com/de/consumer/tv-av/tv/quantum-dot-display/UE49KS7090UXZG
Samsung rolls these out really slowly. Apparently a few people in California have gotten it via the update process, but it takes a while until it's available to everyone. It's probably nothing major anyway.

tommyguns

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Games_List

http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/07/call-of-duty-games-will-support-ps4-pro-4k-hdr-graphics-on-day-one/

Also, I just tried HDR on daredevil again now I am home, using the Netflix app and it isnt running in HDR. When a game is running in HDR mode the HDR+ option is greyed out. I still had this option while watching Daredevil. Can anyone confirm that their netflix is displaying true HDR?

I believe both of those linked are mistaken. Everywhere else says it supports the Pro but not with HDR

Haines

Banned
My last tv had huge amounts of backlight bleed and I hated it.

This one looks completely black to my eye.

If it's a black screen and there's a little white logo somewhere that corner of the screen gets bright. Like a pillar of light. I can deal with that tho. I can't afford Oled.

I also turned that samsung light off. That shit was annoying

Yep I turned the Samsung logo light off. I wish there was a way to have it only illuminate for a couple seconds on startup/shutdown.

I had a weird vertical line last night that was only visible on stark white backgrounds, but this morning it's gone. Almost like the light diffuser expanded and caused a little wrinkle after I was using it all day?

Haines

Banned
There's moving art shows in 4k Netflix that look great and are kid friendly.

I need to figure out the auto motion stuff. Anybody knowledgeable on it? I know the tv comes with default custom and blur reduction at 10. I currently have it off.

I also need to look up a wall mount that will mount to a wall and than hang the tv off to the left where there is no wall. Never bought a mount in my life so that's a big task to learn.

lt519

I know I asked before but now I have a pic. Is this too much backlight bleed at the bottom or should I just roll with it?

http://imgur.com/a/MTgFD

That is about what I have. Maybe a little more. It is a grab bag, you could get 10 more exchanges and not get one better/worse. The nature of edge lighting.

Make sure your stands are on correctly (they should overlap the Bezel a bit on the front). If you have them on incorrect (as I initially did) it'll create some odd pressure which can cause the bottom bezel to flex.

Here are my final settings for this tv. I will try to add notes, and talking points. I am just a casual gamer and this is simply done from reading on here, my own eye sight and using the wow disney disc

This is on the aaou 55 inch panel. Diff panels could take diff settings!

For gaming, movies and netflix

Picture mode : movie, special viewing mode game

Go to expert settings
I use backlight anywhere from 5 at night to 10 during day. My tv is beside a sunny window in the morning.
I leave brightness at 45
Contrast at 100. My calibration seemed like it wanted it even higher so def max this out imo
Sharpness at 0 from what ive read any sharpness is bad.
Color at 53 My setup wanted those 3 extra notches. May vary by panel
Tint g52r48 again, very small difference from default and may be panel specific
Smart led high. Im not sure on this one. Ive seen it reccomended being on high for hdr so im just going to det it and forget it
Make sure hdmi uhd color is turned on for your input
Hdmi black level auto. I trust the auto setting. Hopefully the tech does what it should
Dynamic contrast off. This should be off imo. If you want it on, go for it, your tv
Color tone warm2. I found 1 thing looked better on standard. My kids paw patrol cartoon show. Anything other than warm2 looked cold and lifeless. set this to your preference in the end
White balance. I use rtings 2 point system. I have absolutely no idea if you should or not. I found my picture looked good with it, so im just going to stick with it. Please use at your discretion.
Gamma 0. Ive seen some suggestions of -1 and such. Im fine with 0. Seemed darker on -1 and i didnt think i needed any more of that on this tv
Color space auto. Set it and forget it.

Hdr for gaming!
This is bugged, you will have to manually up the backlight to 20 for hdr game content in gaming mode and back to 5-10 when you are done. Hopefully we get a fix soon
I also set dynamic contrast to low on hdr gaming. Off is simply to dark. This helps. Medium seemed to really kill the range of lighting so i stick with low for now, i might like medium, need more time to actually play a game with it. use whatever setting makes your eyes happy. Remember every room is lit different and could vary by game to game basis!

If you want 4k hdr streaming on netflix you will need to use the tv app until the ps4 one gets an update.
For this i change my source from console to tv, movie mode, with gaming turned off. This way the tv will change the backlight for hdr on its own. If you go to settings, backlight you will see it will be jacked up to 20.
If you switch to a normal sdr show, it will auto put it back to your normal backlight setting
You will not get a notification like in gaming for hdr content
For this i used marco polo.
I found i needed dynamic contrast at medium to rid of the dim image. Please set at your own preference.
You tv should switch between settings on its own between hdr and sdr content when in normal movie mode.
Do not forget that hdr mode will need its settings set, it wont take the settings from your other modes. So tune it accordingly. I also use the same color And tint and 2 point settings on my movie mode
I do not use rtings 10point. It made my colors wrong,
I leave digital clean view and auto motion plus off in movie mode. I want to do a lil more research in these though to see if there is any benefit to using them.

My tv sound is on audio out/optical with bitsream and dolby digital for my logitech 5.1 pc surround i use
Ps4 audio is hdmi out, bitstream digital
Than optical from tv to surround.hdmi from ps4 to tv

My ps4 settings are all set to auto.

Please feel free to correct me where im wrong or tell me what settings you find best

The picture mode bit wont matter if its Movie when you turn Game Mode on, it defaults to its own settings and ignores Movie altogether.

When you say HDR needs its own settings as well, are you referring to this for when gaming or just movies?
So do I need to apply settings whilst HDR is on and I'm playing a game, or will it not matter?

Haines

Banned
That bit was about movies.

I'm sorry I know my formatting was awful I'm just on limited time.

If you are in movie mode and switch to an HDR show you will have vanilla hdr settings (backlight maxed) until you tweak the rest. Than they will be saved going back and forth.

Talking strictly movie mode.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
That bit was about movies.

I'm sorry I know my formatting was awful I'm just on limited time.

If you are in movie mode and switch to an HDR show you will have vanilla hdr settings (backlight maxed) until you tweak the rest. Than they will be saved going back and forth.

Talking strictly movie mode.
For the record, all of this holds true for Standard mode as well. Initially only Movie mode had separate HDR settings, but they added those functions to Standard mode as well a couple months ago via a firmware update.

Haines

Banned
Good to know. I haven't had any need for standard mode and most things usually tell me to use movie for best settings on TV

razzel

I've found for HDR movies and content, if I use dynamic setting and turn dynamic contrast completely off it looks absolutely amazing. Clear picture, great colors, and great contrast. Again, it only looks amazing for HDR content though.

For non-HDR movies and content, some people may hate this but i think HDR+ is fantastic and creates a better picture than regular settings. Again though, dynamic contrast should be off.

Still can't figure out the exact right gaming settings.

Hjod

Banned
So I got in contact with Samsung Support regarding that you have to manually change the backlight and contrast settings when you change to HDR-mode while you're ine the "game" setting. I'll translate the response to the best of my abilities.

Samsung Support said:
Hi Hjod,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Support.

The Game mode scales down some images settings when you change to that mode. HDR is still functional when you are using game mode since the format is HDR. But as you say you can change the settings manually to get the settings you want.

We can't say if this is going to be patched, because that's the way the Game mode works.

With kind regards Samsung Support

So the support won't do anything about the firmware, I don't know who to turn to really haha.

Haines

Banned
If it isn't changed I will live but I don't understand why not.
Customer support probably wouldn't know if a fix was in the works or would they

Reading the other thread I'm tempted to mess around with low and medium dynamic range in hdr games and see what works best. I've seen some people reccomend medium. I was just afraid I was losing too many darks but I might have been mistaken. I know I'm for sure using low at minimum and high is out of the question.

Hdr just needs dc period. Low or medium, yet to be decided

I've found for HDR movies and content, if I use dynamic setting and turn dynamic contrast completely off it looks absolutely amazing. Clear picture, great colors, and great contrast. Again, it only looks amazing for HDR content though.

For non-HDR movies and content, some people may hate this but i think HDR+ is fantastic and creates a better picture than regular settings. Again though, dynamic contrast should be off.

Still can't figure out the exact right gaming settings.

I think have given up on playing about with the movie profile, no matter what settings everything looks really flat and no better than a 1080p TV. Dynamic really makes everything pop. It has much better contrast, sharpness and colour. Testing it in movies, games, HDR and non HDR content, I think this is where I will stay.

VicViper

Can any KS8000 (KS7000 UK) owner go the the built-in Youtube app and play this video please:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO01J-M3g0U

This is one of the new Youtube HDR test videos and there are claims that HDR is supported in apps on devices which support it.

My TV does not switch to HDR mode when playing the video, but it works fine for every other HDR content (PS4 Pro, Xbox One S and UHD Blu-rays).

If I'm right, this may confirm that the Youtube app in the KS8000 does not (yet) support HDR properly and may well explain why so many users are having trouble getting HDR to work properly in their Netflix app. It seems the apps are just not ready yet.

MazeHaze

Banned
Can any KS8000 (KS7000 UK) owner go the the built-in Youtube app and play this video please:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO01J-M3g0U

This is one of the new Youtube HDR test videos and there are claims that HDR is supported in apps on devices which support it.

My TV does not switch to HDR mode when playing the video, but it works fine for every other HDR content (PS4 Pro, Xbox One S and UHD Blu-rays).

If I'm right, this may confirm that the Youtube app in the KS8000 does not (yet) support HDR properly and may well explain why so many users are having trouble getting HDR to work properly in their Netflix app. It seems the apps are just not ready yet.

Youtube just rolled out HDR support last week, so of course the app needs to be updated.

Netflix and Amazon apps on the TV definitely play HDR.

The Netflix app supports HDR already. The YouTube app does not. There really isn't ambiguity there other than Netflix dropping the ball on some of their HDR updates to existing content.

Hjod

Banned
If it isn't changed I will live but I don't understand why not.
Customer support probably wouldn't know if a fix was in the works or would they

Reading the other thread I'm tempted to mess around with low and medium dynamic range in games and see what works best. I've seen some people reccomend medium. I was just afraid I was losing too many darks but I might have been mistaken. I know I'm for sure using low at minimum and high is out of the question.

I thought that maybe they could foward it to someone who knows, we'll se if we get a fix. I'll be fine either way, but it would be nice with a fix.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Having to manually change my settings for HDR and SDR games every time seems really annoying. I've always been one to find a setting I like and just leave it there forever.

Dzab

Absolutely cannot get rid of colour banding. It mainly happens on the Pro though, even when the VR social screen is displaying on the TV. (Uk ks7000)

Hdr content on the PC (Shadow Warrior 2) is great and the Amazon Video app had incredible looking HDR content. No colour banding.

Haines

Banned
Reading the other thread.

A guy says we need to be forcing this mode in HDR.

"24 bits is 8 bit
30=10bits
36=12 bits

I can guarantee ur missing lots of colour @ 8 bits. Min HDR is 10 bits,switch to YUV420"

Last of us says in Playstation display out as 22 which is 8 bit I guess.

Supposedly need to force it the 420 for 10 bit color that is needed for hdr.

Will test when I get home.

I have a KS8500 and there is noticeable ghosting as opposed to black uniformity.
Not awful, but not nearly as good as the review on rtings would suggest.

What is all y'all experience? Should I consider exchanging it for a different set? I'm still in my 90 days period to exchange it at Costco.

coopolon

I reset my smart hub and Amazon is working.

But I'm watching man in high castle season 1 episode 1 and not getting 4k or hdr? Do you have to do anything to get these from Amazon? Anyone have this work ok the ks8000

Reading the other thread.

A guy says we need to be forcing this mode in HDR.

"24 bits is 8 bit
30=10bits
36=12 bits

I can guarantee ur missing lots of colour @ 8 bits. Min HDR is 10 bits,switch to YUV420"

Last of us says in Playstation display out as 22 which is 8 bit I guess.

Supposedly need to force it the 420 for 10 bit color that is needed for hdr.

Will test when I get home.

So, are you saying to get it to 10 Bit, instead of having Resolution set to Automatic, we need to change it to 2160p - YUV420 when in HDR mode?

III-V

So, are you saying to get it to 10 Bit, instead of having Resolution set to Automatic, we need to change it to 2160p - YUV420?

Auto is outputting everything from 422 8, 10 or 12 bit to 420 10 to 12 bit, from what people have been reporting. It seems to be game specific, but it may also be set specific. Right now, there aren't enough people reporting in with their bit depths to determine what exactly is going on.

For example, in inFAMOUS SS, I get 12 bit 422 with auto and HDR enabled.

lt519

Do the Apps automatically switch into HDR? Like if I boot up Netflix from the TV and start Narcos will it just turn on HDR? Turning UHD color on by source doesn't seem to make sense since the TV itself is the source.

coopolon

Do the Apps automatically switch into HDR? Like if I boot up Netflix from the TV and start Narcos will it just turn on HDR? Turning UHD color on by source doesn't seem to make sense since the TV itself is the source.

I don't think narcos has hdr, but yes in answer to your question, turning on Marco Polo will out it into hdr.

It doesn't notify you though like with hdmi sources.

III-V

No PS4 apps currently support HDR. If you want Netflix with HDR< log into the TV's native netflix app.

Haines

Banned
So, are you saying to get it to 10 Bit, instead of having Resolution set to Automatic, we need to change it to 2160p - YUV420 when in HDR mode?

All I understand is I said I was getting 422 and he said that was wrong and I need to try forcing it to 420

It all goes above my head and I'm at work so I can't test it

lt519

I don't think narcos has hdr, but yes in answer to your question, turning on Marco Polo will out it into hdr.

It doesn't notify you though like with hdmi sources.

Hmm, says 4K Ultra HD, but maybe they just slap that label on everything.

No PS4 apps currently support HDR. If you want Netflix with HDR< log into the TV's native netflix app.

I meant the TVs native App.

Auto is outputting everything from 422 8, 10 or 12 bit to 420 10 to 12 bit, from what people have been reporting. It seems to be game specific, but it may also be set specific. Right now, there aren't enough people reporting in with their bit depths to determine what exactly is going on.

For example, in inFAMOUS SS, I get 12 bit 422 with auto and HDR enabled.

All I understand is I said I was getting 422 and he said that was wrong and I need to try forcing it to 420

It all goes above my head and I'm at work so I can't test it

See, I can confim for Rachet and Clank in HDR mode, I changed the Resolution setting to 2160p - YUV420 and it stayed on it, as opposed to Auto for Resolution where it went to 422.

Haines

Banned
Does it make the picture look a lot better?

Supposedly the 22 only gives 8 bit and the 20 will give you 10 bit for your hdr

Top Bottom