• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

I've just left my PS4 video out to auto.

I have decided I don't need to use game mode when playing the PS4. I don't know what my input lag is with my current settings I use but for the life of me I cannot tell any difference at all between on and off.

This also saves me having to swap the backlight and dynamic contrast every time I go from HDR to SDR.

Finally feel like I have the TV exactly how I like it and can enjoy games without tweaking every little option now. :)

coopolon

I was watching Marco Polo last night and a scene kept switching between someone with the sky as background and someone with a wall as background. The wall was much darker so every time it switched the screen visibly dimmed itself or brightened itself and I assume this was dynamic contrast because I turned off smart led and it still was happening.

It was really distracting.

Xun

I was watching Marco Polo last night and a scene kept switching between someone with the sky as background and someone with a wall as background. The wall was much darker so every time it switched the screen visibly dimmed itself or brightened itself and I assume this was dynamic contrast because I turned off smart led and it still was happening.

It was really distracting.
Sounds like local dimming to me.

You can adjust the settings for it.

Haines

Banned
I've just left my PS4 video out to auto.

I have decided I don't need to use game mode when playing the PS4. I don't know what my input lag is with my current settings I use but for the life of me I cannot tell any difference at all between on and off.

This also saves me having to swap the backlight and dynamic contrast every time I go from HDR to SDR.

Finally feel like I have the TV exactly how I like it and can enjoy games without tweaking every little option now. :)

I mean do as you will but switching them takes 30 seconds max for gaming mode. Unless you jump games every 5 minutes this seems like your saving yourself 1 minute of time a day for a fairly huge cost of input lag.

My 55 inch usa ks8000 only uses the wide tv stands. No smaller spots for them.

It isn't really the time saved that I'm more concerned about, it's more about having to remember every time. If the game mode gave me any improvement I would do it, but for me, at the moment, it is 100% unnecessary to use game mode.

Edit: It's worth noting that I understand this wouldn't suit most people on here, but I don't play games online/multiplayer. So I don't notice or need that precision approx 70ms can bring.

I have a UE55KS7000 (a US KS8000) and it only has one position for the stands.

TLZ

Banned
I was finally able to get results I am happy with in HDR and regular mode.
Initially I was one of the people that was not sure if HDR is on at all but now the HDR effect
is clearly visible in Last of Us and First Light.

Everything was calibrated using the Disney WOW Blu Ray (which I absolutely recommend).

Regular content
PS4 settings:
- Set all PS4 Display options to Automatic
- Set RGB range to Full

TV settings:
- Make sure your Firmware is at least '1142'
- Set Picture Mode to Movie (if not available, turn off Game Mode, set, then turn Game Mode back on)
- Make sure 'Picture Size/Fit to Screen' is on
- Backlight: 10 (depends on the brightness of your room)
- Brightness: 45
- Contrast: 97
- Sharpness: 20 (this especially helps 1080p content)
- Color: 53
- Tint (G/R): G53/R47
- Smart LED: High
- HDMI UHD Color (Set to ON and leave it)
- Dynamic Contrast: Off
- Color Tone: Wam1
- Gamma: 0
- Color Space: Auto

HDR content
Same settings as above except manually switch to:
- Backlight: 20
- Dynamic Contrast: Medium

You have RGB full on your PS4, why not Auto? Do you have HDMI Black Level on Auto?

Haines

Banned
I would just do both auto for tv use.

Works great for me and I've tested the shit outa the other options.

If you are worried force y20 for hdr but I assure you I could see zero difference. I'm only doing it to be safe.

Blanquito

Is there anything different between the different model numbers that come before? To clarify, my friend is looking at a UN65KS8500 model. What does the UN65 mean and what's the difference between that and a UN55?

Haines

Banned
I just put Pixar inside out on the tv for the kids and it looks insanely good.

The up scaling on the tv does wonders with a good BD

Ducayne

What's the difference in latency again inside and out of Game mode while in HDR?

Curious if it's that big of a difference over a better image.

Haines

Banned
I went from never having seen HDR in my life 1 month ago to "Why doesn't The Crown have HDR? Get your shit together Netflix!"

Yeah. Played some titanfall 2 today wishing it had hdr. It adds life to the content.

What's the difference in latency again inside and out of Game mode while in HDR?

Curious if it's that big of a difference over a better image.

Over a better image? Image is perfect in game mode. You are still in movie mode.

noomi

Are settings saved independently per HDMI input?

Meaning, if I set HDMI 2 (ps4) with all my HDR/Gaming settings will it save under that input forever, even if I change to a different input and setup an entirely different setting?

I have a separate blu-ray player that will be HDMI 3 that will have completely different settings, this way I don't need to keep changing my settings when gaming or watching content... I can just switch the input.

newsguy

Its like an 80ms difference. Picture quality looks identical IMO. Game mode all the way.

Yeah, the first time I put Forza Horizon in without switching to game mode I almost shed a tear. I was like "if this is how bad the lag is on these TVs it's going back today." Once I switched to game mode it was perfect.

bennibop

Is there a fault with the TV where it uses the same settings across hdr and none hdr or am missing something? As I put the brightness to max for uncharted hdr and when I went to play none hdr the brightness remains at max.

Is there a fault with the TV where it uses the same settings across hdr and none hdr or am missing something? As I put the brightness to max for uncharted hdr and when I went to play none hdr the brightness remains at max.

Were you changing the brightness setting or the backlight setting?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal

Yeah. Apparently it occurs in game mode, but not movie mode. So you gotta manually change your settings every time you switch in game mode.

I and alot of KS8000 people have black flickering on auto. The ps pro for some reason cant figure out the resolution and keeps trying to switch it if I put it on auto or 2160p- RGB.

I tried different ports and then I thought it was the hdmi cable. I bought the amazon 4k cord tried that and still get the black flickers.

The only setting that works is 160P - YUV420.

I do not think this the hdmi port or the cable. The xbox one s with hdr on plays fine and has no problem

:(

bennibop

Make sure you wait a minute or two before going into the settings to look. HDR doesn't turn on right away, even if appears to be in 4K.

The Amazon Prime Video app actually has an on-screen indicator when it's playing HDR.

Amazon hdr is working (mozart) as I am getting a notice that hdr has been enabled, Netflix nothing however.

Haines

Banned
I know it won't switch if it's in game mode.

If I go to tv mode, and the Netflix app it usually sets to plain old movie mode which turns hdr on itself.

I believe I heard there's a few other shows on netflix with HDR.

Maybe cooked and daredevil season 1? I think a few of the crappie Sandler movies?

Check them out maybe

I and alot of KS8000 people have black flickering on auto. The ps pro for some reason cant figure out the resolution and keeps trying to switch it if I put it on auto or 2160p- RGB.

I tried different ports and then I thought it was the hdmi cable. I bought the amazon 4k cord tried that and still get the black flickers.

I do not think this the hdmi port or the cable. The xbox one s with hdr on plays fine and has no problem

When you get this, does the screen go black for a second or two then come back? That was happening to me last night, first time I've had that issue. I haven't been able to figure out the cause yet.

krang

So just confirming, this is the KS7000 in the UK? Looking at getting the UE55KS7000 at some point, just want to make sure that's a good one to get all the green ticks on my XB1S.

This has probably been answered elsewhere, but has the issue with motion processing that I've read about been fixed via firmware? Apparently it's really juddery watching high frame rate content, like sports, without any obvious way to fix it.

Yep thats exactly what it does.

Sorry it's happening to you, but I'm also glad I'm not alone. Was starting to worry I had a defective TV or Pro.

I found this thread on the Sony EU community:
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS4-Support/PS4-Pro-flickering-in-2160p/m-p/24685850
There's a lot of garbage posts in there to sift through. But it sounds like some people are having success on our TV by setting the PS4 to YUV instead of RGB.

I am going to try grabbing a new HDMI cable from Amazon. Maybe that will help.

I had that issue with my 6-foot Amazon cable. Switched to a 3-foot and haven't had the issue since. I doubt it's specifically related to the length of the cable, but maybe try another one if you can.

I'll give that a shot. Which cable did you buy?

Ordered this one initially, which gave me the issues. I then got the 3-foot version of the same cable and haven't had any problems.

Thanks for the link! I took that $5 gamble. We'll see.

Just so weird how random the flickering is. Other than last night, my set had only flickered a couple of times since getting the PS4 Pro on launch day. I had chalked those couple of times up to weird HDR signals, as this only happens in HDR games. But then last night, it was constant. Every 30 seconds or so, screen goes black for a second then comes back. If it matters, I was playing UC4.

Edit: Also, not that it should matter, but what HDMI port are you using on the breakout box?

Mindman

From AVS Forum

Originally Posted by Mindman
Just want to confirm something: There is no way to get this TV to automatically switch between SDR and HDR presets when HDR content is detected using Game Mode or PC Mode, correct? The only way to do that is with Movie mode. Am I understanding this correctly?

Normally, you'd want to watch high-quality content such as a 4K HDR Blu-Ray in Movie or Standard modes. Those two modes both save two sets of settings, one for HDR and one for SDR. (It's been many months since "Movie" was the only possible HDR mode, that was with a very early firmware only)

In Dynamic and Natural modes, HDR won't display properly at all regardless of the saved settings. Same for the "Sport" preset mode, but to be honest this preset is so utterly screwed you'd be mad to watch it at all so you're not missing anything.

Next, if you set the TYPE of a HDMI input to "PC", under the right conditions the TV will switch itself into "PC mode". The problem is it doesn't say it's in PC mode so you have to know what to look for. You'll know if this has happened, because the "Movie" and "Natural" presets vanish, leaving "Standard" and "Dynamic". (If you have the same menu as normal, you're not in "PC mode")

In this state, you can now use "PC-Standard" for want of a better term, and THIS "PC-Standard" mode, like the normal "Standard" mode, can also store two more sets of settings, one for HDR and SDR.

Finally, in Game mode, there is the restriction you point out. The good news is that HDR does works in this mode, as well as Standard and Movie. The bad news is that the TV doesn't switch between a HDR preset and a SDR preset, you have to manually change the picture settings to be suitable (normally just two - Backlight and Contrast). Storing two sets of values in Game mode, one for HDR and one for SDR, is something that lots of users are clamouring for. Fingers crossed it happens. Samsung had been issuing firmware updates thick and fast.

Just wanted to share this. PC Mode will allow two presets for the Standard input, one for SDR and one for HDR. Cool stuff. If you don't mind the 37ms lag of PC Mode. :) (Which I don't) Thanks to user mrtickleuk on AVS Forum

You have RGB full on your PS4, why not Auto? Do you have HDMI Black Level on Auto?

Because I am 100% sure I want to use Full/Normal at all times.
Don't want to question whether 'auto' got it right.

I also have a feeling some games don't respect the setting, Ground Zeros being an example.
In that case I feel like setting PS to Full but the TV to limited will give me a dark image that's more appropriate for the night setting of the game. But maybe that's just me.

ViciousDS

Banned
From AVS Forum

Just wanted to share this. PC Mode will allow two presets for the Standard input, one for SDR and one for HDR. Cool stuff. If you don't mind the 37ms lag of PC Mode. :) (Which I don't) Thanks to user mrtickleuk on AVS Forum

sounds like I'll have to deal with moving settings when content switches......no way am I buying this TV without taking full advantage of the 21ms input lag.

Does it happen when you start HDR content ?

Because if yes then it's normal - console needs to switch output from 4:4:4 RGB to 4:2:2 YUV

That's the only thing that blinks on my KS7000

Like 115ms vs 22 ms in game mode.

There's no IQ difference. Game mode image is incredible.

You lose 120Hz panel when in game mode since it needs motion interpolation.

Steve152

Neo Member
From AVS Forum

Cheers for the pointer. This is a great solution to the problem of having to change settings in game mode when switching between HDR/SDR :)

Top Bottom