• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
Samsung will refund the $200 for those who bought the 65" at 1279. You just need to take a screenshot of the new price logged into your account and email it to them. $1079 for the 65" KS8000 is probably the best electronics deal I've ever taken advantage of.

Conveniently, I cannot see the product page anymore. It errors out with a "Sorry, but this offer is no longer valid."

CORRECTION - I was able to login. Who do I need to contact to get this refund?

TLZ

Banned
I only use dynamic contrast with HDR content. Even low is enough to make a difference. I know that it's unnatural, post-processing is bad, yada yada yada, but it looks better to me.

Apparently Dynamic Contrast in HDR is encouraged and doesn't negatively affect anything like it does SDR. Mine's set on low/medium as well and gamma raised to 2.

Symphonia

Banned
So were in auto/auto now?

When i run the netflix app on the tv in movie mode it doesnt even let me switch the black level. Its greyed out on low.

Going to try and calibrate the set now. I guess i will just do it in movie mode, and see if when i switch it to game it keeps the same settings or what
I put it in HDR+ plus mode and calibrated it.

Apparently Dynamic Contrast in HDR is encouraged and doesn't negatively affect anything like it does SDR. Mine's set on low/medium as well and gamma raised to 2.

Gamma 2 seems too bright. Like washed out. Is that the recommended setting for an appropriate 2.4 gamma curve?

I put it in HDR+ plus mode and calibrated it.

HDR+ mode is for SDR content. It's basically a processing feature to try and recreate SDR as HDR. It's not advisable to use.

Symphonia

Banned
HDR+ mode is for SDR content. It's basically a processing feature to try and recreate SDR as HDR. It's not advisable to use.
But in 'Movie' mode, with the calibration settings for my TV that were posted in here, the picture looks washed out. I put HDR+ on and tweak the settings until I have a decent picture.

Simbo

Neo Member
Does anyone know which USB port / ports are 5V 1A?

Thinking of buying some bias lighting that runs off USB and I wasn't sure if the port on the back of the TV or the ones on the mini connector box have enough juice to power it.

EDIT: Silly me. One of the USB ports on the connector box is labelled 5V 1A. The port on the back of the TV just says 'IoT Extend'. Does anyone know if that was is 5V 1A too?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Does anyone know which USB port / ports are 5V 1A?

Thinking of buying some bias lighting that runs off USB and I wasn't sure if the port on the back of the TV or the ones on the mini connector box have enough juice to power it.

EDIT: Silly me. One of the USB ports on the connector box is labelled 5V 1A. The port on the back of the TV just says 'IoT Extend'. Does anyone know if that was is 5V 1A too?
I don't know what the difference is (I actually didn't realize there were USB ports on the One Connect box), but I use the rear panel USB port to power bias lighting with no issues.

VicViper

Just got the KS7090 (Germany's equivalent of the KS8000 US/KS7000 UK) 55" set and very happy with the quality after some calibration. Coming from a 7 year old Bravia KDL40W5500 so definitely a major upgrade.

I'm using the rings settings (http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings) but with color tone warm1 and backlight set to 5 for non-HDR content.

However, the settings menu and HDR options are a freaking mess as others have pointed out. Took me a while to figure out the quirks of the menu to finally get HDR working right but now it's pretty darn awesome.

I do have some questions though:

1) Using built-in apps such as Netflix and Youtube do not seem to give me the "A HDR movie is playing" notice in the top left corner. Is this a known issue or does HDR not trigger correctly for content which definitely supports it? (e.g. Youtube HDR videos)

2) Samsung website says the latest firmware is 1150.7 - however my set is on 114x (don't remember the exact version) and does not find a newer version online. Can I safely update via USB?

3) Game Mode and HDR - the hassle to get this working properly is just ridiculous with the amount of manual tinkering which has to be done every time. Any easy ways/solutions to work around this? Do we know if Samsung is aware and working on a fix?

4) I'm using custom calibrated settings for white balance and color tone (rtings), will this result in full or limited range colors? I don't want to use the auto setting because I'd rather prefer the color calibrated settings which look phenomenal to me.

5) Apparently my Sony STR-DN860 AVR does not properly pass through 4K HDR so both PS4 Pro and Xbox One S need to be connected to the TV directly. This is a major pain in the ass for sound as the TV connect box apparently does not route back 7.1 PCM via ARC (it may be a limitation of the ARC specs) so the best I can get is lossy 5.1 DD/DTS via optical. Any AVR users out there facing the same dilemma? This is for a 2015 set, any chances of a firmware fix? The STR-DN860 supports 4K and HDCP 2.2, but can not pass through HDR for some reason.

All in all, I think I really like the set and HDR improvements for games are clearly visible. I just think that with all the troubles (manual tinkering for picture settings, AVR audio limitations for HDR) I should have waited a year or so until these quirks are fixed.

As amazing as HDR is, I can't help but think TV manufacturers are rushing it with weird settings, menu choices and HDMI spec limitations. It will take another year or two until HDR settles in and becomes a truly hassle-free experience for everyone.

I have noticed that call of duty infinite warfare and modern warfare remastered don't support HDR. Even though everywhere states it should?

Blizzje

Wait, I'm not supposed to use color space: native for HDR content?
I use it right now for non-HDR content and the colors look great, just how I like them.
Colors also look good in HDR, but apparently I should be using auto?

I think the colors look really dull in non-hdr content with auto, but I guess thats my preference for saturation or popping colors.

coopolon

What's this now? Can anyone extrapolate?

For video content the TV detects you are watching am hdr source and turns the backlight up to max which is appropriate for hdr. But if you have the TV in game mode (basically required because input latency is very high outside of game mode) it detects you have an hdr source but doesn't make any changes.

So everytime you play an hdr game you have to open the settings and turn backlight up. Then when you are done and want to play a non hdr game you have to open settings and turn it back to normal. every time..

In addition, many of us are finding we like dynamic contrast on for hdr but its terrible for sdr, so that's now another setting you have to change every time.

(Obviously if you are only playing an hdr game you can leave it on, when watching video you can switch it back to movie where it will autochange settings correct.)

Honestly, I could live with this,but also having to fix the audio out for every source (only a problem if you are using the TV to passthrough audio) is too much for me.

Steve152

Neo Member
I'm planning on buying the KS7000 (UK) and have been following this thread, particularly with regard to changing settings for HDR.

One thing I have done with other TVs in the past is to use one picture mode (e.g. Standard) for certain types of games and then use another picture mode (e.g. Sports or Animation) with all the settings changed for other types of games. Typically since there is a scene/picture select button on the remote I can change pictures settings very quickly without going into the setting menus.

Obviously given I don't have the TV yet I can't try, and this may be a stupid post given the number of people who have this TV and I expect have already tried everything!!

TLZ

Banned
1) Using built-in apps such as Netflix and Youtube do not seem to give me the "A HDR movie is playing" notice in the top left corner. Is this a known issue or does HDR not trigger correctly for content which definitely supports it? (e.g. Youtube HDR videos)

This isn't an issue. The notification is for HDMI connected devices.

Wait, I'm not supposed to use color space: native for HDR content?
I use it right now for non-HDR content and the colors look great, just how I like them.
Colors also look good in HDR, but apparently I should be using auto?

I think the colors look really dull in non-hdr content with auto, but I guess thats my preference for saturation or popping colors.

Using Native for SDR will look artificial. Auto is what should be used. If that floats your boat though then by all means.

thuway

I get crazy amounts of flicker on and off when I set the PC display to 4:4:4 or RGB to Full. Any one else having this issue?

Sounds like low quality hdmi cable that cant fully handle that much data.

The Amazon Basics cable is not good enough? It apparently claims to pass 18 GBPS and 4K @ 60 hz.

I tried watching Netflix HDR content through the tv app last night and I don't think it worked at all.

I loaded up daredevil season 2, it said HDR on the show title, my settings didn't bump up backlight to 20. I had my pc playing the same episode in SDR on the monitor next to the to and they looked identical.

Anyone else come across this?

thuway

It is, but you could potentially have a faulty one.

Well I actually tried multiple cables it's not the cable. I have found an interesting curiosity. If I set the Nvidia Panel to 59 hz instead of 60 hz the flickering goes away. I'll test a little while longer before claiming everything is OK, but it seems to be scott free so far.

D23

Samsung will refund the $200 for those who bought the 65" at 1279. You just need to take a screenshot of the new price logged into your account and email it to them. $1079 for the 65" KS8000 is probably the best electronics deal I've ever taken advantage of.

And I bought the 65" for $2k after tax back in September 😭

Yopis

In the other thread dynamic contrast came up and it sounds like it should be on for hdr content.

Going to give it a try, but honestly, it's getting kind of annoying having to open the menu and change settings depending on if I am playing hdr vs not.

Does anyone know for movie mode, if I make a change in hdr will it carry over to sdr or only apply during hdr content?

Not a fan of dynamic contrast at all. After toggling,while playing games over past week. Just seems to brighten the entire picture. You lose some of the range in lighting on screen.

Personally though if you don't notice this, or in bright room go for it.

Just funny because when I got the tv nothing looked right without setting on.

Now nothing looks right unless off.

TLZ

Banned
So is HDR support confirmed for the built-in Youtube and Netflix apps? Any way to check this in the TV settings?

I know from 2 reasons; when I play an HDR movie/show, say Daredevil, and then go into expert settings, it'll show me a different settings I'd have set for HDR when watching Daredevil, Marco Polo etc. Stop that and watch a SDR program, go into settings and it'll show me a different set I'd have done for SDR. The other way is when change colour space from Native to Auto in HDR it shows more color. Doing so in SDR gives me less color.

I wish there was an easier way like showing us HDR when pressing the info button but it doesn't. If you know of a better way let me know.

VicViper

I know from 2 reasons; when I play an HDR movie/show, say Daredevil, and then go into expert settings, it'll show me a different settings I'd have set for HDR when watching Daredevil, Marco Polo etc. Stop that and watch a SDR program, go into settings and it'll show me a different set I'd have done for SDR. The other way is when change colour space from Native to Auto in HDR it shows more color. Doing so in SDR gives me less color.

I copied all my calibrated SDR settings (using movie mode) to HDR playback with the only difference being the backlight auto-adjusted to 20 (max) in HDR mode. I can't confirm this right now, but this does not appear to be happening for me when using the Youtube or Netflix apps (with HDR content, ofc).

ViciousDS

Banned

I wish there was an easier way like showing us HDR when pressing the info button but it doesn't. If you know of a better way let me know.

kind of weird.....I know on my X800D if I go into the picture settings it shows a grey HDR box telling you that HDR is currently active for the material on the screen.

such a simple thing.....you think all you would have to do is hit the display info button and when it shows you the res you get an HDR icon next to it.

VicViper

kind of weird.....I know on my X800D if I go into the picture settings it shows a grey HDR box telling you that HDR is currently active for the material on the screen.

such a simple thing.....you think all you would have to do is hit the display info button and when it shows you the res you get an HDR icon next to it.

If you "re-select" an HDMI source, it will show you display info such as resolution, refresh rate and HDR, but there is no such option for the TVs internal smart hub.

So after being underwhelmed by the HDR in Daredevil (not even certain it's working) and Marco Polo, I checked out some of Mozart in the Jungle on Amazon Prime. The show itself is garbage, but I immediately recognized the quality of the colors.

Netflix needs to get their HDR stuff in order because it's a mess right now.

MazeHaze

Banned
So after being underwhelmed by the HDR in Daredevil (not even certain it's working) and Marco Polo, I checked out some of Mozart in the Jungle on Amazon Prime. The show itself is garbage, but I immediately recognized the quality of the colors.

Netflix needs to get their HDR stuff in order because it's a mess right now.

Watch Goliath on Amazon next. I really liked the show, and it has the best HDR streaming I've seen.

Watch Goliath on Amazon next. I really liked the show, and it has the best HDR streaming I've seen.

Will do! One thing Netflix has going for it is you can easily search for HDR content (or at least what they claim is HDR). On Amazon, there's no way to view HDR content other than to play stuff and check. At least it says HDR in the player, something Netflix doesn't.

RobotVM

Sucks Perks at Work doesn't work anymore. My wife gave me the go ahead to buy a new TV and I really want to pick up the 60" right now Amazon seems my best bet. After Discovery cash back I can get it for 1025.00. Anyone know if they will have better deals on BF?

Can anyone please screencap the price for the 60"?

I got it for $1054.99 using EPP and if the 65" is down to $1079.99, the 60" should definitely be lower. Would love to get that $200 refunded...

So I plugged my PC straight into my KS7500 (8500 US) and Game Mode is greyed out. No setting on the PC changes it. Changing the name on the source does allow Game Mode. Word of warning: the name can be reset sometimes randomly, or maybe when the PC is on when you start the TV. Also changing settings on the PC like going from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 can reset the input name. It's very annoying.
Just something to keep an eye on.

Clockwork

So after much deliberation I decided to order the 65" KS8000 using my discount through work. At $1079 it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

This will be going in the man cave and my 50" 2014 Vizio P-series will be going in the regular living room.

I hope I am not disappointed by the lack of FALD.

Top Bottom