• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

tiku

Well, I switched to PC Mode after a month using Game Mode. Just to try it out.

Yes, the colours are quite saturated and I don't really like it :/ Besides, if I remember correctly, when HDR is ON, Dynamic Contrast is set on High when in PC Mode, without a chance to change the value. Not cool.

On the other hand, it's very comfortable to have separated SDR/HDR configs. Really comfortable.

By the way, some people say that in PC Mode, 'Sharpness' must be set at 50 because that value is, indeed, equivalent to 0 in other modes. Do we have official info about this?

noomi

I wish I would have picked up a 65" model instead of 55"

Recently moved, and the TV mounted on the wall looks small now :(

MazeHaze

Banned
Well, I switched to PC Mode after a month using Game Mode. Just to try it out.

Yes, the colours are quite saturated and I don't really like it :/ Besides, if I remember correctly, when HDR is ON, Dynamic Contrast is set on High when in PC Mode, without a chance to change the value. Not cool.

On the other hand, it's very comfortable to have separated SDR/HDR configs. Really comfortable.

By the way, some people say that in PC Mode, 'Sharpness' must be set at 50 because that value is, indeed, equivalent to 0 in other modes. Do we have official info about this?
You can definitely turn dynamic contrast off when in pc mode HDR. Also, the sharpness thing is true, just use your eyes. Put it at 0 in PC mode it obviously adds blurring, and 50 has no sharpening artifacts and is default.

tiku

You can definitely turn dynamic contrast off when in pc mode HDR. Also, the sharpness thing is true, just use your eyes. Put it at 0 in PC mode it obviously adds blurring, and 50 has no sharpening artifacts and is default.

Yes, my fault. Although, I'd swear first time I changed into PC Mode some of the "dynamic" options were activated on high with no chance of changing the value. Weird...

Anyway, thanks :)

Playing and testing PC Mode with The Witcher 3: Blood & Wine, only annoying issue is how satured the colours are. No problem with the increased input lag, in fact it feels completely normal and enjoyable to me.

Madness

Same the Amazon seller is not amazon, but it's 150$ less then BB.... i'm on the fence to buy it....

I wouldn't buy a set like this from a third party seller on Amazon. I bought mine direct from Samsung and there was a sigh of relief when no defects or things like light bleed. The panel lottery is always there with edge lit LED. Buying from Best Buy or Costco type stores at least allows you easier returns, ability to exchange sets. Manufacturers also make it very difficult to remove televisions or put them back in for this reason. The bigger the hassle a return or exchange is, the more people will keep.

Always get the biggest screen possible. Even if you think it's too big, it's not.

TVs shrink over time.

My 65 looks small to me now.

I agree completely. I remember when I got my 65" KS9000 last November I thought it was solo big and it felt outta place in my father humble room and now it feels small.

ornery

New firmware update released today for Sammy TVs (I have a KU6300, but I read the KS got 1168.2)

Anyone see any differences?

Leeroy605

The one that comes with it? Do you need to pair it again?

Or a smart remote that pairs with Anynet+?

It's a long shot, but you could try unplugging the tv overnight and seeing if helps.

Yes talking about the one that comes with it. Thing is, I only got this TV last week but have never been able to turn it On/Off with this remote, but everything else works when using it.

Will try going through some of the settings and report back, thanks.

AwShucks

So I just got this TV. The ratings and op settings work fine for TV but all the settings I've found seem to make games look very....Soft? Smooth? Like in Horizon the grass and ground was just a blob of color. Setting the sharpness higher helps this but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this and how did you solve it?

Also, starting with standard mode looks way better than movie mode to me. Maybe I've just been watching TV and playing games with incorrect video settings all this time

So I just got this TV. The ratings and op settings work fine for TV but all the settings I've found seem to make games look very....Soft? Smooth? Like in Horizon the grass and ground was just a blob of color. Setting the sharpness higher helps this but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this and how did you solve it?

Also, starting with standard mode looks way better than movie mode to me. Maybe I've just been watching TV and playing games with incorrect video settings all this time
I got better subjective results than the OP with a tweaked version of these settings (minus the digital clean view and auto-motion stuff, and then welcome to the great 20 page debate on dynamic contrast -- I'm in the camp of having it on at least 'low' for games).

I've grown to very much prefer movie mode (with the warm colors) for movies, game mode (with a whiter balance) for games.

Really though, ultimately go with what your eyes prefer.

Yoday

Holy crap, played Ratchet and Clank last night in 4k HDR. It's glorious!

But going back to the dashboard with backlight at 20 is eye searing. I need to invest in a bias soft led lightstrip to plug into the back usb.
I'm lucky in that my living room lighting is wall mounted on either side of where my TV is, so even at night I get a well lit room that doesn't effect image quality much at all. I've also noticed that because of this leaving the backlight at 20 really isn't too bad for non-HDR content. It's still on the bright side for sure, but it doesn't hurt my eyes.

Melubas

So the other day I experimented a bit with resolutions on my PC. I fired up Metro: Last Light and Rise of the Tomb Raider and compared 1080p to native 4k when sitting in my sofa. I was really surprised to see that to me there was hardly any difference. The thing I could make out if I concentrated was that background details were a little sharper (distant buildings and the like) but other than that I thought there would be more of a difference. Thing is I can tell a clear difference when firing up a 4k youtube video most of the time but for gaming it was really hard. Can you guys tell a solid difference from "sofa distance"? Do I have to sit closer? Do I have too high expectations for 4k gaming?

philm87

So the other day I experimented a bit with resolutions on my PC. I fired up Metro: Last Light and Rise of the Tomb Raider and compared 1080p to native 4k when sitting in my sofa. I was really surprised to see that to me there was hardly any difference. The thing I could make out if I concentrated was that background details were a little sharper (distant buildings and the like) but other than that I thought there would be more of a difference. Thing is I can tell a clear difference when firing up a 4k youtube video most of the time but for gaming it was really hard. Can you guys tell a solid difference from "sofa distance"? Do I have to sit closer? Do I have too high expectations for 4k gaming?

Very much depends on what you're watching/playing, and how close you are to the TV (I'm about 7ft back on a 49"). I notice a huge difference with the increased resolution on The Division and Battlefield 1. Basically anything where you need the smaller details or you're looking more into the distance for, you'll notice more. Makes a massive difference to watching sport, but there's not much broadcast in 4k.

I find a get a much better picture in 4k if I leave sharpness on 0. The TV can't display more than 4k, so you're only ever going to be losing detail, though it will help to make the picture 'pop' more. For 1080p I put it somewhere between 10 and 20. My logic with 1080p is that it has less of a negative impact as there's more room for improvement to enhance it.

philm87

But I thought it defaults to YUV anyway for HDR since HDMI2 doesn't have enough bandwidth.

It defaults to YUV422 if you have it set to RGB or Auto. YUV422 is the 10-bit version of YUV420 in this case. This can be seen if you go to the PS4 Pro's 'video output information' section in the settings whilst a HDR game is playing. They do really need to make it clearer.

Melubas

Very much depends on what you're watching/playing, and how close you are to the TV (I'm about 7ft back on a 49"). I notice a huge difference with the increased resolution on The Division and Battlefield 1. Basically anything where you need the smaller details or you're looking more into the distance for, you'll notice more. Makes a massive difference to watching sport, but there's not much broadcast in 4k.

I find a get a much better picture in 4k if I leave sharpness on 0. The TV can't display more than 4k, so you're only ever going to be losing detail, though it will help to make the picture 'pop' more. For 1080p I put it somewhere between 10 and 20. My logic with 1080p is that it has less of a negative impact as there's more room for improvement to enhance it.

Yeah I guess I'll try with some more games. I could actually try the Division too since I have it. Thanks for the answer!

1168.2 also available for European models.

Don't ask for change log. LOL

too late

- Model : KS8000, KS800D, KS8500, KS850D, KS9000, KS900D, KS9500, KS950D, KS9800, KS9810, KU7000, KU700D, KU7500, KU750D
- Version : 1168.3
- Improved usability 1. Improved browser performance 2. Improved app performance 3. Improved stability 4. Improved usability of input devices

philm87

Holy crap, played Ratchet and Clank last night in 4k HDR. It's glorious!

But going back to the dashboard with backlight at 20 is eye searing. I need to invest in a bias soft led lightstrip to plug into the back usb.

It is beautiful.

I've been tempted to try bias lighting. Any idea what you're going for?

Will a usb one work fine plugged into the One Connect box?

AwShucks

I don't understand how everyone is playing with sharpness at 0. Playing Horizon with it at 0 and everything just blurs together. You can't really see the grass/leaves. Even going from 0 to 15 is like the first time I put on my glasses.

D23

Y'all need to check out Planet Earth II in 4k HDR.. my god it looks sooooo amazing on this TV.. especially the third EP. @.@.@

philm87

I don't understand how everyone is playing with sharpness at 0. Playing Horizon with it at 0 and everything just blurs together. You can't really see the grass/leaves. Even going from 0 to 15 is like the first time I put on my glasses.

Are you playing in 4k? Maybe it depends on sitting distance and tv size. Mine is nowhere near what you could call blurry with sharpness on 0.

Zutrax

Is there an easy way to tell when HDR is on? Sometimes I'll be playing games or using apps that support it without realizing it, but I'm not quite sure if HDR is on or not so I get hesitant about bumping up the backlight setting for HDR.

I know HDR obviously looks better, but without a direct comparison of it off and on at the same time it's a little hard and my brain plays tricks on me.

Heel

Rtings: Samsung MU8000 Review

Samsung MU8000 LED TV vs Samsung KS8000 LED TV

The 2016 KS8000 performs better than the MU8000 overall.

The KS8000 has a higher native contrast ratio for dark scenes
The KS8000 gets significantly brighter for HDR and SDR
The KS8000 has a wider color gamut, and can display a larger color volume
The KS8000 is better at handling reflections
The MU8000 has better motion handling due to the faster response time
If you can find it, the KS8000 performs better and is available at a lower price.

Cqd72WM.gif

philm87

Is there an easy way to tell when HDR is on? Sometimes I'll be playing games or using apps that support it without realizing it, but I'm not quite sure if HDR is on or not so I get hesitant about bumping up the backlight setting for HDR.

I know HDR obviously looks better, but without a direct comparison of it off and on at the same time it's a little hard and my brain plays tricks on me.

It should go black for a second then pop up saying 'A HDR VIDEO IS PLAYING'. Make sure UHD Colour is turned on in the expert picture settings.

AwShucks

Are you playing in 4k? Maybe it depends on sitting distance and tv size. Mine is nowhere near what you could call blurry with sharpness on 0.

I don't have a PS4 pro so no, just 1080p. But I would hope that the upscaling wouldn't be making it look THAT bad considering all the positive talk I've heard. I'm strangely tempted to go with a 1080p TV instead since I have no 4k content if all my 1080p content is going to look blurry.

Edit: most of the 1080p TVs have worse ratings for 480 and 720 content than this TV, so that wouldnt be great with DVDs. I think I just need to mess with the settings, maybe side by side with my previous tv, to get what I like. Going to give it a few days of watching and playing before making a decision.

Top Bottom