• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

philm87

I don't have a PS4 pro so no, just 1080p. But I would hope that the upscaling wouldn't be making it look THAT bad considering all the positive talk I've heard. I'm strangely tempted to go with a 1080p TV instead since I have no 4k content if all my 1080p content is going to look blurry.

Edit: most of the 1080p TVs have worse ratings for 480 and 720 content than this TV, so that wouldnt be great with DVDs. I think I just need to mess with the settings, maybe side by side with my previous tv, to get what I like. Going to give it a few days of watching and playing before making a decision.

1080p stuff upscales great on mine. Make sure you're not using 1080i(interlaced), that won't upscale well. Sharpness may help a bit for 1080p content. Just fiddle with your settings, there might be something else that's causing it.

Belker

Weird thing happened a few times today when turning my in Xbox One, got a split-second flash of a garbled screen with lots of very thin multicoloured lines before th dashboard appears. Don't know if it's the Xbox or the TV.

Lima

Weird thing happened a few times today when turning my in Xbox One, got a split-second flash of a garbled screen with lots of very thin multicoloured lines before th dashboard appears. Don't know if it's the Xbox or the TV.

That's the Xbox. Happened to me a couple times on several TV's.

TheZink

Rtings: Samsung MU8000 Review

Cqd72WM.gif
This makes me feel better for buying the KS last week

Aces&Eights

Just want to chime in on the DC for video games: I have tried every suggestion under the sun and if I don't have DC on at least medium in game mode, the games just look too dark. This, with brightness at 50 in a dark ass room. I'm just going to plant my flag on the "Dynamic Contrast" hill and leave it there.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well it's a good thing they said the KS8000 was better than the Q7F too.

Best $1079 I ever spent (65").

After Dell dropped the price a few days ago, mine is now coming out just under 900. It's insane how good it is for such a paltry sum in the grand schme.

My cable box does this when I first cut it on before it displays the program guide.

jbug617

Banned
bit the bullet and ordered the 65in KS8500. Total came out to $1693 when you take into account insurance (2yr Geek Squad) and tax ($95)

AwShucks

One thing I've noticed with looking up settings is the number of people who actively change settings based on what they are watching. However, I don't think the majority of people buying TVs do that. Hell, I certainly don't. My old TV has each input with different settings but I wouldn't be changing anything if I was watching a movie on my PS4 versus playing a game. I need to find settings that work all around, hopefully I can.

Thinking about grabbing a KS8000 tommorrow (or tonight). Any reason I shouldn't grab it if I am a real schtickler for input latency? I own a PS4 Pro and have been using the same TV since 2010, some 32" Toshiba.

Yoday

1080p stuff upscales great on mine. Make sure you're not using 1080i(interlaced), that won't upscale well. Sharpness may help a bit for 1080p content. Just fiddle with your settings, there might be something else that's causing it.
I agree with him. I understand why people want sharpness at 0, but it doesn't look good with 1080p. That said, not a lot of sharpness is needed to bring things in line. I stick to sharpness 10 which tends to sharpen up 1080p enough, but doesn't noticeably impact higher res content to my eyes.

Side note, I've switched to DC off and I'm good with it now. I think I just needed to adjust.

Thinking about grabbing a KS8000 tommorrow (or tonight). Any reason I shouldn't grab it if I am a real schtickler for input latency? I own a PS4 Pro and have been using the same TV since 2010, some 32" Toshiba.

You'll be well off with the KS8000 it has an input lag of 21.1ms for 4K-HDR/60fps and 22.7ms for 4k/60fps according to this Rtings review

bubumiao

After Dell dropped the price a few days ago, mine is now coming out just under 900. It's insane how good it is for such a paltry sum in the grand schme.

Do you have a link to that $900 price? I looked on their site earlier (mobile browsing) and couldn't even find the KS8000. I'd love it if best buy would price match that, I think they'll match Dell.com.

If you don't mind subpar video upscaling, though it upscales video games well, bad motion and judder then probably yes.

It's either this or the Sony X850D and I need to make a choice this week. They're both about the same price. Apparently the Sony has better scaling, but the Samsung has better blacks and HDR. Help me, GAF!

Caramello

So, I'm looking to make the jump into 4K/HDR but the KS8000 is not available is my country anymore, but the KS9000 is.
How do they compare for gaming?

KS9000 performance is equal to slightly (very slightly) better than the KS8000.

The only reason it's not recommended over the 8000 is the added price.

I have a 9000 because I got it on sale for $100 more than the 8000 and I prefer the design of the TV itself.

There's no performance reason not to buy this model if that's your worry.

I have a 9000 because I got it on sale for $100 more than the 8000 and I prefer the design of the TV itself.

I got the 65" KS9000 because of the Samsung EPP thing back in November. I also prefer the "look" of the KS9000 over the KS8000. Input lag is also better but the difference is negligible.

FEYtYD6.jpg

MLB The Show 2017

f3nwq70.jpg

BotW

ponziacs

Banned
It's either this or the Sony X850D and I need to make a choice this week. They're both about the same price. Apparently the Sony has better scaling, but the Samsung has better blacks and HDR. Help me, GAF!

The 850D is an IPS so the blacks aren't going to be as good. I'm waiting for the 900E to drop in price since that one is direct LED.

850D advantages

+ Better motion
+ Better upscaling

KS8000 advantages

+ Better blacks
+ Better input lag for gaming

AwShucks

I agree with him. I understand why people want sharpness at 0, but it doesn't look good with 1080p. That said, not a lot of sharpness is needed to bring things in line. I stick to sharpness 10 which tends to sharpen up 1080p enough, but doesn't noticeably impact higher res content to my eyes.

Side note, I've switched to DC off and I'm good with it now. I think I just needed to adjust.

I spent way too much time in this thread today. I'm definitely on the side of needing some sharpness in general. I'm also not sure if I'm on the warm1 or warm2 side. I think I like warm1 for games and warm2 for other stuff but don't want to be switching it constantly.

MazeHaze

Banned
I had the 850d for a couple of weeks and the black levels are crazy terrible. I mean straight up light gray. Dark scenes in movies and games are awful. Returned it for the ks8000 and couldn't be happier. The 850d is an ok set, but the pq on the samsung is a huge step up imo. Can't tell much of a difference in upscaling honestly, but the sony does handle motion a little bit better.

nikos

So is the consensus now to turn up the Gamma and turn off Dynamic Contrast for HDR content? I just picked up Planet Earth UHD as well, and want the best possible experience. Also, I've always had Sharpness set to 8 but found that it actually looks better if I turn it up a bit more, probably because the source is such high quality. Do we know when artifacts start to get introduced?

I feel like I've been tweaking settings since getting the TV in October, always trying to get the most from it.

EDIT: Sharpness above 20 seems to introduce artifacts, from what I've read. Also, it seems Low or Medium Dynamic Contrast is still recommended for HDR content.

Yoday

I spent way too much time in this thread today. I'm definitely on the side of needing some sharpness in general. I'm also not sure if I'm on the warm1 or warm2 side. I think I like warm1 for games and warm2 for other stuff but don't want to be switching it constantly.
I prefer Warm 1 myself. Warm 2 is just too yellow for me with whites appearing more cream colored than white. I'm of the opinion that calibrated settings should serve as a guideline more than a rule. People aren't machines like the tools used to find these settings, and we all have different perceptions and preferences. Get things into the realm of accuracy and then tweak to your liking.

Even though I know Warm 2 is supposed to be the more accurate, I prefer Warm 1.

Symphonia

Banned
I calibrated my 49" KS8000 using the settings recommended by Rtings. The picture is absolutely incredible. I've used the same settings for 'Game Mode' too, and it looks equally as beautiful. Well worth the money.

ss_lemonade

So I just noticed that my ks9000 now remembers the device type I set for the input my receiver is connected to. Before, I could set it to PC but switching the TV off then on again would make it revert back to whatever it wanted to call my receiver. Must have been from the latest update.

I don't understand how everyone is playing with sharpness at 0. Playing Horizon with it at 0 and everything just blurs together. You can't really see the grass/leaves. Even going from 0 to 15 is like the first time I put on my glasses.
Blurs together? While it isn't as sharp as my w900a at 1080p, the difference is almost negligible when gaming and it stays plenty sharp enough to my eyes at 0 sharpness.

I believe that the ks8000 has an advantage when it comes to motion blur handling due to supporting BFI when enabling LED clear motion. For some reason, our ks9000 doesn't seem to work as well as expected under that mode.

Here. We. Go! Just ordered the KS8000 from Amazon as it's the only place I could find it in Chicago. It'll be delivered this coming Thursday, we close on the new house on Friday, and I'll be setting it up next Saturday!

Zakkath

I don't understand how everyone is playing with sharpness at 0. Playing Horizon with it at 0 and everything just blurs together. You can't really see the grass/leaves. Even going from 0 to 15 is like the first time I put on my glasses.

Personnally, I set the sharpness at 20. I didn't like the blur at 0 either.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Do you have a link to that $900 price? I looked on their site earlier (mobile browsing) and couldn't even find the KS8000. I'd love it if best buy would price match that, I think they'll match Dell.com.

I bought it a couple of weeks ago on sale. They just dropped the price some more, but they have a 30 day price match guarantee, so I am just getting a small refund on top of it. The main deal is gone.

Garwoofoo

Neo Member
Still playing around with Dynamic Contrast in HDR mode. I've now switched to using Low, which given that I was on High only a few weeks ago is quite a change.

The turning point was Final Fantasy XV - it was absolutely eye-searingly bright on Medium or High. One of those points where you think "yes, I know it's supposed to be bright and sunny, but there's no way it's meant to look like this". On Low it looks fine. And now I've adjusted to it, I'm finding Low to be generally better (I think) for most stuff - certainly for games. It's not as immediate, and it's taken some getting used to, but I think it's better. Probably.

I put Uncharted 4 back in, which I'd played through only a few weeks ago with Dynamic Contrast on High, and at the time I thought it looked amazing. DC on High now looks terrible, really over-saturated and unnatural. Can't believe I actually played it like that.

Still can't see myself making the jump to DC Off for HDR though, it's just too dark. But thanks to everyone in this thread for at least sharing their impressions and making me re-evaluate my settings.

I have spent SO much time playing around with the settings on this TV since I got it :D

Here. We. Go! Just ordered the KS8000 from Amazon as it's the only place I could find it in Chicago. It'll be delivered this coming Thursday, we close on the new house on Friday, and I'll be setting it up next Saturday!

Enjoy the set! I haven't had any problems with mine and it's the best television I've ever owned.

tiku

Still playing around with Dynamic Contrast in HDR mode. I've now switched to using Low, which given that I was on High only a few weeks ago is quite a change.

The turning point was Final Fantasy XV - it was absolutely eye-searingly bright on Medium or High. One of those points where you think "yes, I know it's supposed to be bright and sunny, but there's no way it's meant to look like this". On Low it looks fine. And now I've adjusted to it, I'm finding Low to be generally better (I think) for most stuff - certainly for games. It's not as immediate, and it's taken some getting used to, but I think it's better. Probably.

I put Uncharted 4 back in, which I'd played through only a few weeks ago with Dynamic Contrast on High, and at the time I thought it looked amazing. DC on High now looks terrible, really over-saturated and unnatural. Can't believe I actually played it like that.

Still can't see myself making the jump to DC Off for HDR though, it's just too dark. But thanks to everyone in this thread for at least sharing their impressions and making me re-evaluate my settings.

I have spent SO much time playing around with the settings on this TV since I got it :D

I read your post and I fell like trying DC on low. Then, I realize I switched to PC Mode just a few days ago and can't change that concrete option -_-

AwShucks

So, can you not adjust the audio equalizer or mode when in game mode for picture? Playing Horizon is certainly an audio experience in game mode. Every ambient noise is super audible and Aloy can barely be heard outside of cutscenes. Plus things get really loud when a few enemies are around. I'd like to be able to turn down my audio and still hear aloy without having to mess with the game settings.

Top Bottom