• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

philm87

My remote does not have info button :(

Samsung_KS8000_large_3.jpg

The button in the center plays/pauses videos from NEtflix. No info shown.

Ok, I got that one and a normal one with mine. Should be able to do all the same things with the smart remote though. I can get to info by pressing the '123' button.

WorldHero

There may have been a firmware update either with Sony or with Samsung regarding DC. NBA 2K17 used to be a dim mess with DC turned off, however, I booted it up last night and now "DC off" is the best setting by far. Now when DC is turned on, it makes the picture oversaturate.

I've had my KS8000 since Thanksgiving, and know for a fact that something has changed.

Anyone else notice any difference with certain games?

Has anyone noticed the new FW update, version 1168?

Just checked and HDR/Game Mode back light issue is still there. I officially give up, Samsung will never fix this little issue.

ss_lemonade

Just checked and HDR/Game Mode back light issue is still there. I officially give up, Samsung will never fix this little issue.
The latest update seems this to have fixed my ks9000 resetting my input device settings everytime the TV is powered off. I can now set my receiver to run under PC mode all the time. The saturated colors aren't too bad to me, but at least I get near game mode-equivalent input lag and separate sdr/hdr settings.

MazeHaze

Banned

It's honestly never bothered me. When I play an HDR game I just turn up the backlight.

MazeHaze

Banned
Truth be told I've gotten used to it, and it's become second nature now with games that support HDR but it would be nice for Samsung to fix that little issue.
I'm not sure it can be done. Game isn't it's own picture mode, it's a special viewing option, so I'd imagine the software wasn't set up to work that way.

Skeletron

I've been speaking to the moderator who replied on on the Samsung community forum via private message and he mentioned that the HDR gaming issue has been escalated to the next level, so the people in charge of the engineers know about it now at least, though he hasn't received any updates which is why he hasn't replied in the thread again.

philm87

What kind of setup did you go with?

I saw some people recommending light strips from IKEA, but I wonder if there's an even more bargain brand potion people are using.

Luminoodle Bias LED lighting from Amazon. Only cost £16.99 in the UK. Not sure what the IKEA ones are like, but the Luminoodle one is specificly for tv bias lighting. Very easy to install, just plug it into the usb in the back of the TV, peel off the adhesive backing and run it round the back as shown in the pic on Amazon. Turns itself on and off when you turn the tv on and off.

Luminoodle Bias LED lighting from Amazon. Only cost £16.99 in the UK. Not sure what the IKEA ones are like, but the Luminoodle one is specificly for tv bias lighting. Very easy to install, just plug it into the usb in the back of the TV, peel off the adhesive backing and run it round the back as shown in the pic on Amazon. Turns itself on and off when you turn the tv on and off.
This one?

I've heard the recommendations about bias lighting forever, and having it connect via USB seems like genius.

The only downside is having to haul your giant tv off the wall so you can get to the back of it, right?

philm87

This one?

I've heard the recommendations about bias lighting forever, and having it connect via USB seems like genius.

The only downside is having to haul your giant tv off the wall so you can get to the back of it, right?

That's the one. Makes it so much more pleasing looking at the tv, enhances how your eyes perceive the picture and also reduces eyestrain, really works. I guess you'll have to take yours off the wall yeah, mine's on a stand so was quite easy to move.

bubumiao

Question for anyone that plays ps2 or other systems with a component to hdmi converter.

I was gonna order a component to hdmi converter from Amazon, but then thought ebay might be cheaper. So I started looking and found really cheap ones, but they weren't actually what I need. Some convert hdmi to component which is the opposite of what I need. So I've found 3 that seem like they'll do the trick. The thing I'm wondering about is whether the image on the tv screen is going to be real small because it'll be a 480i/p signal converted to hdmi?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400975801083?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301894787869?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131537091228?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The first two links don't have a button "720p/1080p" but the last one has a button. So does that mean even if the signal is smaller, like a ps2 signal would be, that it will scale the picture to 720p or 1080p? I'm confused so I thought I'd ask if anyone is familiar with converters like this or has a better solution.

Do I need that button that the third auction has?

Thanks.

I'm really just holding off on this set now of and when they "fix" game mode. I think I'd just find it too annoying and let down my purchase. So here's hoping then I'll jump in.

I'm really just holding off on this set now of and when they "fix" game mode. I think I'd just find it too annoying and let down my purchase. So here's hoping then I'll jump in.
Definitely subjective, but I've finally come to peace with it by leaving my backlight in game mode on 17-18.

It doesn't make my retinas explode on SDR games, and saves me from burning two calories internally sighing and grabbing the remote.

Tbh it was very very annoying at the beginning but you get used to it. I'm very anal about it and now whenever playing an HDR enabled gamed (once the HDR banner prompt appears) I just switch the backlight to 20 and when I finish playing I just switch back.

In hindsight, with my old Sony 55W802a I was already doing the same basically. When playing a game on my Xbox One I would change the scene select to game, when watching TV I'd change it to the normal preset and when watching anime I'd change it to animation. Georaldc who has a w900 can probably relate.

If that's the only reason why you're holding out then it's a shitty reason. The TV is superb in almost every way.

nikos

Tbh it was very very annoying at the beginning but you get used to it. I'm very anal about it and now whenever playing an HDR enabled gamed (once the HDR banner prompt appears) I just switch the backlight to 20 and when I finish playing I just switch back.

In hindsight, with my old Sony 55W802a I was already doing the same basically. When playing a game on my Xbox One I would change the scene select to game, when watching TV I'd change it to the normal preset and when watching anime I'd change it to animation. Georaldc who has a w900 can probably relate.

If that's the only reason why you're holding out then it's a shitty reason. The TV is superb in almost every way.

Agreed. No matter which TV you have, you're going to be changing settings based on source material. If not, you'll never have the ideal image quality. Even back in the CRT days, I was always tweaking settings.

philm87

I think it's a terrible reason not to get the tv. I'm not sure why people find it quite so annoying, it's not as if you'd be switching between hdr and non-hdr game every 5 minutes. So many other good things about the tv that should make this issue almost meaningless.

It is a shitty reason but it's still a potential annoyance I'd rather not have to deal with. Something that could mar the experience for me. You'd certainly get used to it but there's always the thought that why should you. And yes the TV seems superb which I think this issue is highlighted that bit more. I guess I'm also in no major rush to upgrade so whilst this problem persists it's just another reason to not upgrade yet :p

philm87

I used to have a similar setup on a garbage tv at an old apartment and I absolutely loved it.

I'm hoping the above LED strips feel as soft on my wall as two diffused lampshades.

I'm guessing the only way with the luminoodles to adjust the softness of the light is to adjust how far towards the outside of the tv you attach them I.e. Put them more towards the middle if you find the light too harsh. Think it should be fine following as per picture though.

It is a shitty reason but it's still a potential annoyance I'd rather not have to deal with. Something that could mar the experience for me. You'd certainly get used to it but there's always the thought that why should you. And yes the TV seems superb which I think this issue is highlighted that bit more. I guess I'm also in no major rush to upgrade so whilst this problem persists it's just another reason to not upgrade yet :p

For sure on the bolded, I agree entirely. It's why I'm constantly checking the avs thread once an update does hit.

Aske

When you're shelling out a large sum of money for a new TV, you don't want bugs. I totally get it, and I felt the same way. But I bought the KS8000 anyway, and the backlight thing is a total non-issue in practise. I'm so blown away by everything about this TV, manually adjusting the backlight in game mode is no big deal. But that's me - I typically play one game at a time, so I'm not constantly having to go back and forth.

Everything else about the TV is perfect. Only other setting I need to change based on content is Game Mode on/off on the Sbone depending on whether I'm using it for UHD Blu-rays or games. Otherwise I set it and forget it and just enjoy.

ss_lemonade

Haha, I still do that today with my w900a. I wish these smart TVs had snappier interfaces though because it's almost feels like they get worse with newer releases. There was one time yesterday when my Samsung's UI suddenly turned into a snail and nothing was literally working. I had to switch the TV off and on multiple times until the interface started responding to my inputs again. Outside of that bug, it still feels off and sluggish at times moving around the menus.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So yeah saw couple of episodes of Planet Earth 2 UHD. And all I can see is hollyshit. A MUST buy UHD disk with this TV. Breathtaking.

AwShucks

So dark colors / blacks are really dark on this thing. As in I feel like they are too dark and I'm missing stuff. Any suggestions?

Backlight 7-10
Brightness 45
Contrast 97
Warm2
Smart led low
Dynamic contrast off
Gamma -1
Black level auto
Color space auto

Symphonia

Banned
I'm getting confused. Is the UK KS8000 (UE49KS8000) different to the KS8000 being discussed in here? Have I bought a different TV?

WolfRathmA

Anyone else having problems with subtitles screwing up the contrast by having backlight leakage. I notice it mainly with netflix where the subs are super bright. Backlight set to 20.

You can change how Netflix subtitles appear.

https://www.netflix.com/SubtitlePreferences

Wow how did I not know that. After tweaking some settings it did the job, thank you!

I'm having the same problem here. I've changed the settings but nothing happened. It's keeps the default. Any help?

Lacix

So dark colors / blacks are really dark on this thing. As in I feel like they are too dark and I'm missing stuff. Any suggestions?

Backlight 7-10
Brightness 45
Contrast 97
Warm2
Smart led low
Dynamic contrast off
Gamma -1
Black level auto
Color space auto

Gamma +1 for me. Which input do you having problems? PS4/XBox, TV, Plex, etc. ?

AwShucks

Gamma +1 for me. Which input do you having problems? PS4/XBox, TV, Plex, etc. ?

PS4 standard (input 2) and cable box (input 1). I can try upping the gamma. I've tweaked so much in the four days I've had it. Almost completely satisfied and the black blacks are certainly nice but sometimes just scenes being too dark.

I just wanted to thank OP for compiling all these in one place. Just picked up the 55in at Costco today and it looks great so far!

Edit: stupid question: I connected the set to wi-fi but do I need to do something special to download firmware updates?

Lacix

PS4 standard (input 2) and cable box (input 1). I can try upping the gamma. I've tweaked so much in the four days I've had it. Almost completely satisfied and the black blacks are certainly nice but sometimes just scenes being too dark.
I had problems with automatic color range settings before. I now using full rgb color range on PS4 and Normal black level on Samsung TV. (for hdr I use gamma +2)

philm87

I'm getting confused. Is the UK KS8000 (UE49KS8000) different to the KS8000 being discussed in here? Have I bought a different TV?

That's the European version of the next model up. Similar but slightly better, has better local dimming and a few other features. The European equivalent to the US KS8000 is the KS7000. In terms of settings and firmware they're pretty much the same.

Yours will be the same as the KS9000 in the US. I have the European KS9000 (curved), which I think is the same as the US KS9500, but they don't do it in 49" in the US. Obviously too simple for them to keep the same numbers worldwide.

Top Bottom