• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Gowans

- Nothing to do on the Switch, other than run it through a receiver.
- Volume on the bar remote or TV remote? You should be able to set the TV sound out to Optical then use the TV remote volume without problems. It may not show the number of the volume setting, but it should show the +/- logo.

So just keep unpluging the switch HDMI if it's not in use? :(

The sound comes out via optical fine but the volume button does nothing with the smart remote. Even after proper setup with the device name.

chaosaeon

So this unlocking the Cal Night/Day options using the old samsung remote doesn't seem to be working for me. I turn it off, then press info -> menu -> mute -> power, but it just turns on as normal every time. Pressing them in fast succession didn't change anything, nor did a combination of holding those buttons, holding then pressing power, nothing. And I had set thye TV to be in regular TV mode when I started just in case that was a thing too. None of it opened the menu.

Rpgmonkey

So this unlocking the Cal Night/Day options using the old samsung remote doesn't seem to be working for me. I turn it off, then press info -> menu -> mute -> power, but it just turns on as normal every time. Pressing them in fast succession didn't change anything, nor did a combination of holding those buttons, holding then pressing power, nothing. And I had set thye TV to be in regular TV mode when I started just in case that was a thing too. None of it opened the menu.

Are you in the US (maybe North America in general)? I wanted to open the service menu to check something a while ago, and for me the button sequence was Mute -> 1 -> 8 -> 2 -> Power.

It took me several attempts but I eventually got the necessary tempo down for it to work.

j0hnnix

Going into the service menu will reset HDMI UHD Color to off, the Samsung light effect and all picture settings, it will not reset the CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT settings if you already have them unlocked.

Here is how to activate CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT settings

1) Download the IR service remote to an android phone or tablet: https://sameapk.com/service-remote-control/

2) Power on your tv and select tv as the source

3) Boot up the ir remote on your android device

4) point the android device to the tv and tap the S1 followed by the S2 button. Wait a couple of seconds

p2bSpTUzi0dytxHACAcR2tg2PW-qMv-XmDyoFLNwdfpbUwAgmNMLhnp7i8DDHFmNvSI

5) Your tv should boot up the service mode, from here you can use your original tv remote.

6) Go down to SVC and select it

7) Go down to Other Setting and select it

8) Go down to Expert and select it

9) Press right on N/D ADJ to switch from OFF to ON ( You might need to press right a couple of times for the tv to register it)

10) Press return on your remote to go all the way back to the beginning ( about 3-4 clicks)
71wontpukfl._sy550_cyxg6.jpg

11) Power off the tv with the remote and then power on again after a couple of seconds. Now give the tv about 30 seconds to load everything up. You should now have both settings unlocked.

How does the CAL options look with the movie mode settings you provided a couple pages back?

hlhbk

So just keep unpluging the switch HDMI if it's not in use? :(

The sound comes out via optical fine but the volume button does nothing with the smart remote. Even after proper setup with the device name.

Power off the switch (not sleep mode) and it won't automatically go to that input.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Does anyone have a problem where if you enable UHD Color and play non-HDR content, the screen goes black for a second?

Leeroy605

Think this may have been asked before but is there any way to stop the TV automatically recognizing my PC as a PC?

Would like to use game mode on it but although I manually set it to a game console in the source settings it automatically switches back after a day or so. Thanks.

Think this may have been asked before but is there any way to stop the TV automatically recognizing my PC as a PC?

Would like to use game mode on it but although I manually set it to a game console in the source settings it automatically switches back after a day or so. Thanks.

It will still revert to PC mode if you install new graphics drivers or leave it off for a while. Make sure it is named something other than PC as the title for the input, because that will cause it to immediately revert. I just put it on console mode and named it "Computer."

Leeroy605

It will still revert to PC mode if you install new graphics drivers or leave it off for a while. Make sure it is named something other than PC as the title for the input, because that will cause it to immediately revert. I just put it on console mode and named it "Computer."

Right, gotcha. Thanks for the response. Slightly annoying that you can't update your drivers without losing all your settings!

snipah

Neo Member
German prices up to 1400€, damn. Thank god I got it in time. 1170€ is an extremely fair price for the 55" version of this. Amazing TV.

...definitely! I even got a better deal back then in Germany, because I bought the UE65KS7090 for 1.599 Euros including a Galaxy S7 which I sold for 400 Euros. So the 65''-version basically cost me 1.199 Euros. Was very happy!

VicViper

Did we ever establish if there is a fix/solution to the Youtube app forgetting your sign-in every time you launch it? My login is preserved in all other apps (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) so I'm wondering what's up with that.

Engell

Did we ever establish if there is a fix/solution to the Youtube app forgetting your sign-in every time you launch it? My login is preserved in all other apps (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) so I'm wondering what's up with that.

?? my youtube app remembers the login just fine, maybe do a reset of the tv (or first update if you haven't)

Blizzje

I've gotten a panel replacement for excessive smear/lag on my KS7000 and have switched HDMI cables. Both the PS4 Pro cable and some other highspeed cable I had lying around gave me black screens, so I shopped around and got a cable for about € 30.

The black screens are gone, which is a victory of course, but I've noticed some graphical glitches from time to time. It kind of seems like a white flash/line that pops up when for example an explosion in happens in say Diablo 3. I could just be imagining things of course, but my question is this: is it possible that graphical glitches occur if a HDMI cable is still not up to par? I managed to eliminate the black screens in 2160p RGB mode (they didn't happen in 2160p YUV) so I thought I fixed the bandwidth issue.

Any ideas? The panel is replaced so I highly doubt its a panel issue. PS4 Pro seems to be working fine as well. What gives?

?? my youtube app remembers the login just fine, maybe do a reset of the tv (or first update if you haven't)

If you power the TV off completely, as in unplug it from the wall, it will always lose the details.
You need to have power to it for it to at least remember them.
Thats how it is for me.

Little question: How do I make a 1440p option appear in PC games? I got my computer hooked up to the TV and I only get to chose between up to 1080p and 4k. My computer can handle Prey up to 1440p so I'd rather settle for that. Force it through the Nvidia driver somehow or what?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Are other people having an issue with this?

MazeHaze

Banned
Little question: How do I make a 1440p option appear in PC games? I got my computer hooked up to the TV and I only get to chose between up to 1080p and 4k. My computer can handle Prey up to 1440p so I'd rather settle for that. Force it through the Nvidia driver somehow or what?
Theres an option in nvidia control panel iirc.

So does Amazon Prime support HDR10+ now or not yet?
I knwo 2017 models already do and 2016 models will later but just curious if they are already streaming such content.

chaosaeon

Are you in the US (maybe North America in general)? I wanted to open the service menu to check something a while ago, and for me the button sequence was Mute -> 1 -> 8 -> 2 -> Power.

It took me several attempts but I eventually got the necessary tempo down for it to work.

Oh damn this worked for me ! No idea how/where to find the settings to enable Cal Night/Day though so I just had to turn the TV back off. How do I get to those in the menus, and then which one is the better setting, night or day, and what differentiates these two from the regular options ?

There must be something that makes cal night/day better than standard or movie right ? Can anyone vouch for the differences these bring ?

Streaming Game of Thrones from the Amazon app on my Xbox One S.

Man, the blacks have some nasty artifacting or something nasty going on. Is this because I'm streaming or will blu rays look like this too? It's rather distracting in really dark scenes.

Blizzje

Nevermind, after 3 different HDMI cables and a swapped KS7000, i still get occasional black screens when I play on PS4 Pro. I can't be the only one that has this issue with three different cables (all different brands, including the cable that came with the pro) and with two different tv's can I?

Why is no one else complaining about this?

Man, the blacks have some nasty artifacting or something nasty going on. Is this because I'm streaming or will blu rays look like this too? It's rather distracting in really dark scenes.

Blu-rays won't be as bad but streaming and Cable TV/Satellite are lousy with high compression and ugly artifacts like that. It's worse in the dark areas on the screen. I find it's better to turn brightness slightly below what the test patterns suggest on those sources because while you may be "crushing" blacks slightly, it hides a multitude of ugly compression artifacts and as a result improves the picture. I use movie mode with 42 brightness on those.

philm87

Nevermind, after 3 different HDMI cables and a swapped KS7000, i still get occasional black screens when I play on PS4 Pro. I can't be the only one that has this issue with three different cables (all different brands, including the cable that came with the pro) and with two different tv's can I?

I looked into this a bit more and it appears it's not isolated to the PS4 PRO and this TV, it's because HDCP 2.2 (copyright protection) is apparently really buggy. This means the same issues occur on most HDCP 2.2 devices. Not sure if this is something that will be fixed by firmware or not.

Streaming Game of Thrones from the Amazon app on my Xbox One S.

Streaming can have it depending on quality, speed factors etc, but I can't recall seeing it on Amazon or Netflix, maybe just youtube or occasionally hulu... I recommend trying the built in TV apps in most cases.

DVD's can show some artifiacting on my PS4, but my 4K blu ray player has an upscaler that makes them look nice. No artifacting for either on regular blu rays, but the dedicated player looks better thanks to the upscaler again. Only my player plays 4K UHD since the Pro doesn't, but that of course is super clean.

Couldn't tell you if there's anything specific to the X1S that would or woudn't do anything.

Since I have a player, HDMI 1 is for movies only and fully calibrated to either SDR and HDR movies/shows, and I always switch to that if I'm going to stream anything from the TV apps.

Cartman86

Banned

I feel your pain. I've given up. This shit is absurd.

Blu-rays won't be as bad but streaming and Cable TV/Satellite are lousy with high compression and ugly artifacts like that. It's worse in the dark areas on the screen. I find it's better to turn brightness slightly below what the test patterns suggest on those sources because while you may be "crushing" blacks slightly, it hides a multitude of ugly compression artifacts and as a result improves the picture. I use movie mode with 42 brightness on those.

Do you still leave the backlight to 20? I think my brightness is set to 45, will turn it down a bit.

I've got all my settings dialed in for gaming which looks great, but haven't really calibrated for movies/shows.

stryke

I looked into this a bit more and it appears it's not isolated to the PS4 PRO and this TV, it's because HDCP 2.2 (copyright protection) is apparently really buggy. This means the same issues occur on most HDCP 2.2 devices. Not sure if this is something that will be fixed by firmware or not.

I don't think so. I still get the issue regardless of the HDCP setting I have it on. I'm pretty sure it's related to having RGB on full for ps4 pro. My TV plays nicely if it's on auto or I force YUV420 but full causes my screen to go in a fit.

And auto doesn't really work for me, looks washed out.

Aske

I feel your pain. I've given up. This shit is absurd.

Have you guys specifically tried Monoprice Certified Premium cables? I had this issue with the cable which came with the Pro. Also occasionally have it when my VR breakout box is plugged in, which introduces an extra cable. Pro straight into the TV with the Monoprice cable, it literally never happens. I'm sure other shit is at play or whatever; maybe it's coincidence. Just reporting my experience. It consistently works, and due to VR/HDR, I swap out these cables with some frequency.

Re: the above post, all my shit is on Auto.

Engell

If you power the TV off completely, as in unplug it from the wall, it will always lose the details.
You need to have power to it for it to at least remember them.
Thats how it is for me.

just had the TV unplugged for approx 10 minutes, and i was still logged in.. but did take some time to boot the application, so memory was certainly wiped.
Maybe it is related to the TV switching IP on the network, so if it detects that it is on a new IP it would ask for login.

On my network specific IPs are locked to specific devices
my TV is running firmware version 1169 btw

Blizzje

Have you guys specifically tried Monoprice Certified Premium cables? I had this issue with the cable which came with the Pro. Also occasionally have it when my VR breakout box is plugged in, which introduces an extra cable. Pro straight into the TV with the Monoprice cable, it literally never happens. I'm sure other shit is at play or whatever; maybe it's coincidence. Just reporting my experience. It consistently works, and due to VR/HDR, I swap out these cables with some frequency.

Re: the above post, all my shit is on Auto.

Okay. How many hours have you tested this for? Im willing to buy one more cable but after this im done and giving up. Can you link me to the particular cable we need to get?

I've had the KS8000 for just over 6 months now and never any problem with black screens... the PS4 Pro HDMI cable worked day 1, the old PS4 cable worked for my Samsung K8500 blu ray player, no problems.

I have nothing between the TV and the HDMI connector. Is it possible you guys might be relaying everything through some other things along the way? Would they maybe have really, really old HDMI cables that you haven't switched out during all your switching out? Or have trouble with the signal? Some sound system, video capture or console switcher things?

You may not have anything of the sort, but it's just a thought, and I think I'd read people mention that when I was wondering if I should bother getting fancier cables for "better" picture.

Top Bottom