• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Blizzje

I've had the KS8000 for just over 6 months now and never any problem with black screens... the PS4 Pro HDMI cable worked day 1, the old PS4 cable worked for my Samsung K8500 blu ray player, no problems.

I have nothing between the TV and the HDMI connector. Is it possible you guys might be relaying everything through some other things along the way? Would they maybe have really, really old HDMI cables that you haven't switched out during all your switching out? Or have trouble with the signal? Some sound system, video capture or console switcher things?

You may not have anything of the sort, but it's just a thought, and I think I'd read people mention that when I was wondering if I should bother getting fancier cables for "better" picture.

How can this be? My ps4pro is connected directly to the one connect box. I have tried four different cables all with the black screen problem. Are you using the auto setting on your ps4 pro?

DomLando

I asked a little while back and got one response but I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.

Everything looks really good on this TV except for FiOS. It looks like it's a bit washed out and not as crisp as it should be. Are there any settings or recommendations anyone can think of? I'm using setting pretty close to rtings.com. Everything else looks great from other sources. Any help would be much appreciated!

Everything looks really good on this TV except for FiOS. It looks like it's a bit washed out and not as crisp as it should be.

If it's like most cable/satellite sources it may only do 720p/1080i because that's what most of the channels broadcast in. Then on top of that it's compressed to death. Cable channels are never going to look as good as blu-rays or even 1080p/4K streaming from Youtube. That being said, if it's washed out, make sure your black level is set to low for that source as most non-game/PC sources do not output in full/normal.

So it seems I've missed the boat in getting this tv. No one near has it, and no one online is selling it for it's normal price. Even open box and used sets have inflated prices. So my question is this...what's this years ks8000 going to be? I'm looking to buy a 4K tv this year, and I am patient and most likely will wait til the fall sales.

AndersK

So it seems I've missed the boat in getting this tv. No one near has it, and no one online is selling it for it's normal price. Even open box and used sets have inflated prices. So my question is this...what's this years ks8000 going to be? I'm looking to buy a 4K tv this year, and I am patient and most likely will wait til the fall sales.

It wont be the 2017 model from Samsung, i can tell you that. Worse on almost all fronts. Maybe you could look at the LG B6 OLED? Its 2016 too, but it has been universally praised and comes in 55 and 65. It'll go the way of the KS8000 soon, no doubt, but its pricier, so if thats the stop gap i don't have other ideas currently.

How can this be? My ps4pro is connected directly to the one connect box. I have tried four different cables all with the black screen problem. Are you using the auto setting on your ps4 pro?

I have the internal PS4 resolution settings set to 2160p YUV420 and everything else Auto. I never change it, but even early on when I had it set to Auto, I had no black screen anything.

I can't even imagine what the problem would be.

DomLando

If it's like most cable/satellite sources it may only do 720p/1080i because that's what most of the channels broadcast in. Then on top of that it's compressed to death. Cable channels are never going to look as good as blu-rays or even 1080p/4K streaming from Youtube. That being said, if it's washed out, make sure your black level is set to low for that source as most non-game/PC sources do not output in full/normal.

I will check the black level.

That being said I know it won't look as good as 1080p/4K stream and Blu-ray but the image looks sharper on the other TVs in my house. That's why I was thinking it may be a setting or something I am missing.

earlier i noticed a new screensaver that i've never seen before while watching TV. i guess the new firmware did something or changed some setting?

Ithe image looks sharper on the other TVs in my house. That's why I was thinking it may be a setting or something I am missing.

Make sure your FIOS box is outputting the maximum resolution to the TV. If it's set to Auto it might have defaulted to a lower setting. You can also bump up the Sharpness if you want. If the input is listed as anything other than PC, you can bump the sharpness up to 15 or so without introducing noticeable artifacts. If the input is listed as PC, then I would change the input to something else (like Cable Box), but default sharpness in PC mode starts at 50 (which in that mode should be no sharpening or softening).

earlier i noticed a new screensaver that i've never seen before while watching TV. i guess the new firmware did something or changed some setting?

What does it look like? I've never noticed a screensaver on my set.

rokkerkory

Did u try costco?

MazeHaze

Banned
i've never seen it before. it still had audio from the tv show i was watching but the samsung logo appeared and was bouncing around (like that DVD logo you see on DVD players)

this happened to me a couple weeks ago. There's a setting for it in the menu, I'm guessing a firmware update switched it on or something.

This is always a good deal for this TV ? I can have it at 1100€ right now but i am not sure that a good idea ( i see lot of complaint about clouding , bad black and bad motionflow )

Engell

This is always a good deal for this TV ? I can have it at 1100€ right now but i am not sure that a good idea ( i see lot of complaint about clouding , bad black and bad motionflow )

??motionflow works fine as far as i can tell, you can adjust it however you want or just turn it off.(i just left it off)

Biggest problem on my set is that that 1 inch at the bottom of the display is clearly brighter then the rest of the screen(because of the screen backlight, only a problem with fullframe content), and left corner is even brighter and the right corner is darker. So looks like they put the light strip in slightly shifted to the left in my set, considering making them fix it.

Blizzje

I have the internal PS4 resolution settings set to 2160p YUV420 and everything else Auto. I never change it, but even early on when I had it set to Auto, I had no black screen anything.

I can't even imagine what the problem would be.

You don't have black screen issues because you have YUV420 as the format, which uses lower bandwidth. Choose RGB2160p and you will start getting black screens sooner or later.

I can't wait until either Samsung or Sony informs their customers about this problem, because I'm sure getting sick of it quickly.

DomLando

Make sure your FIOS box is outputting the maximum resolution to the TV. If it's set to Auto it might have defaulted to a lower setting. You can also bump up the Sharpness if you want. If the input is listed as anything other than PC, you can bump the sharpness up to 15 or so without introducing noticeable artifacts. If the input is listed as PC, then I would change the input to something else (like Cable Box), but default sharpness in PC mode starts at 50 (which in that mode should be no sharpening or softening).

I will mess with the sharpness tonight. I did notice my black level is grayed out when I tried to change it last night. Why would it be this way? Thanks for your help by the way!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I've had the KS8000 for just over 6 months now and never any problem with black screens... the PS4 Pro HDMI cable worked day 1, the old PS4 cable worked for my Samsung K8500 blu ray player, no problems.

I have nothing between the TV and the HDMI connector. Is it possible you guys might be relaying everything through some other things along the way? Would they maybe have really, really old HDMI cables that you haven't switched out during all your switching out? Or have trouble with the signal? Some sound system, video capture or console switcher things?

You may not have anything of the sort, but it's just a thought, and I think I'd read people mention that when I was wondering if I should bother getting fancier cables for "better" picture.

Do you have your TV running through a "Receiver" of any kind?

Madness

Got my first ad on the menus for this tv for some American Gods Amazon show. How Samsung thinks this is acceptable is beyond me. Tizen is already such a garbage os. Nowhere near as fluid as WebOS and with a fraction of the apps, useability of Android 7.0 tv now.

Is there any new update? Did they bring new features or not yet? I wonder if KS 8000 gets the same updates as KS 9000 and the new QLED ones.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The lack of necessary fixes for the ridiculous OS on this TV is solidifying the fact that I will never buy a Samsung TV again.

So I've been dealing with a horrible set for months with all kinds of issues. Samsung authorized repair has replaced the mainboard, panel, power box and yet the issues persist. So now that I have evidence of said issue the local repair person isn't willing to come over to check it out and they keep canceling the repair orders. Samsung is pretty bad with support and this local outfit is my only repair option. This sucks..

I will mess with the sharpness tonight. I did notice my black level is grayed out when I tried to change it last night. Why would it be this way? Thanks for your help by the way!

If your device is outputting a YUV signal, then the Black Level will be grayed out as that is an RGB setting. With YUV the TV already knows what the black level (range) should be so it's grayed out. Most non-computer graphics video sources like TV or Blu-Ray use YUV encoding as a default. My cable box will allow you to select either, though. I have it set to YUV since that is the "native" output format for that kind of source, and it also means my TV automatically selects the correct black level, and then reverts to Normal/Full for my game consoles and PC. I have everything going into one input on the TV as it all goes through my receiver.

So I've been dealing with a horrible set for months with all kinds of issues. Samsung authorized repair has replaced the mainboard, panel, power box and yet the issues persist. So now that I have evidence of said issue the local repair person isn't willing to come over to check it out and they keep canceling the repair orders. Samsung is pretty bad with support and this local outfit is my only repair option. This sucks..

I'm in my third panel since November
at least they have an okay service where I live.

First issue was

3 horizontal dead pixel lines across the entire screen and 2 going vertical.

(they came to replace the screen)

2nd issue was the panel started separating from the sides :(

(they came to put a new back cover and clamp it together nicely)

3rd time the panel started to warp (due to heat? HDR. + 20 back lit perhaps?)
and it was causing abnormal light bleedeing - oh and the back cover started to warp again)

(tech came to replace both the front panel and back cover add extra special dual sided tape and just wished me good luck, he said he has had many calls on this particular tv)

now it's been like 1 month since, and I thought there was a hair stuck on the front panel
but as I'm looking closely it looks like 4 dead pixels on a row-

but I'm reading that no panel is perfect and I'm just going to have to deal with this tv the way it is.

if I get more dead pixels again I'm calling them before my 1st year is up with my TV.

Do you have your TV running through a "Receiver" of any kind?

No, just straight to the one connect HDMI thing that comes with it.

You don't have black screen issues because you have YUV420 as the format, which uses lower bandwidth. Choose RGB2160p and you will start getting black screens sooner or later.

I can't wait until either Samsung or Sony informs their customers about this problem, because I'm sure getting sick of it quickly.

I think you might have that backwards. YUV is what it should be on for 10bit HDR that you get from this TV. RGB is for if you had bought one of the 4K TV's that can't do 10bit HDR. I keep it set on YUV instead of Auto because I don't want the Pro incorrectly assuming I want RGB or 1080p as I go from game to game.

I also had my PS4 Pro resolution on Auto for the first couple weeks, and still didn't have any problems like you're having. I wish I could help, but I have no idea what the problem is.

DomLando

If your device is outputting a YUV signal, then the Black Level will be grayed out as that is an RGB setting. With YUV the TV already knows what the black level (range) should be so it's grayed out. Most non-computer graphics video sources like TV or Blu-Ray use YUV encoding as a default. My cable box will allow you to select either, though. I have it set to YUV since that is the "native" output format for that kind of source, and it also means my TV automatically selects the correct black level, and then reverts to Normal/Full for my game consoles and PC. I have everything going into one input on the TV as it all goes through my receiver.

The FiOS box does not give that option. I checked on my other inputs that I have my Xbox one and PS4 Pro hooked up to and they are grayed out as well. Should they be?

I moved the sharpness up to 15 and it did look much better. At what point with sharpness would I start to notice artifacting? Would you suggest going higher than 20? Also, are there any other settings I can play with or do you have any other suggestions for viewing cable? I didn't think to move up the sharpness since it seems frowned upon but it did seem to help just moving it up to 15 for normal TV viewing.

I checked on my other inputs that I have my Xbox one and PS4 Pro hooked up to and they are grayed out as well. Should they be?

If you specified RGB-out on either console I would expect that option to be available. If the console is set to automatic I'm not sure. There are also black level (or range) settings on each console but really this isn't something you have to mess with unless things don't look right (either too dark or blacks are grayish). As long as your source and the TV agree on the encoding then either way is fine. I wouldn't worry about this if you're not having a problem there.

I moved the sharpness up to 15 and it did look much better. At what point with sharpness would I start to notice artifacting? Would you suggest going higher than 20?

I wouldn't go higher than that, personally. You're going to see a lot of recommendations to keep it at 0 because on most TVs that means there is no artificial sharpening applied. However on this set 0 appears a little fuzzy. There has been a lot of debate on this topic in this very thread. You can look at something with sharp edges onscreen (a test slide, paused animation, or even just text on a colored background), sit close and play with the sharpness adjustment. Look at the edges of the sharp edged objects and notice as you increase sharpness that the colors around the edges change slightly. Whites get more white at the edge, or colors get brighter along the edge. This kind of artificial highlighting is not in the source, but sometimes it really helps with the resolution of detail, especially at a normal seating distance. If you keep increasing sharpness it can introduce some weird wavy artifacts around objects. My advice is to play with this setting so that it looks good to your eyes but edges aren't noticeably funky. For me that was around 15 for video content, and 10 for game systems.

philm87

I think you might have that backwards. YUV is what it should be on for 10bit HDR that you get from this TV. RGB is for if you had bought one of the 4K TV's that can't do 10bit HDR. I keep it set on YUV instead of Auto because I don't want the Pro incorrectly assuming I want RGB or 1080p as I go from game to game.

I also had my PS4 Pro resolution on Auto for the first couple weeks, and still didn't have any problems like you're having. I wish I could help, but I have no idea what the problem is.

People are having the issue when it's set to YUV422, not YUV420. This is presumably because YUV422 is passing more data through the hdmi cable than YUV420.

RGB is an uncompressed format. This option isn't available for 10-bit as it can't pass that much data through HDMI. On this tv if you have the PRO set to 2160 RGB or Auto, it will automatically change to YUV422 for hdr content. If you have it set to 2160 YUV420, it will stay at YUV420 for hdr content.

People are having the issue when it's set to YUV422, not YUV420. This is presumably because YUV422 is passing more data through the hdmi cable than YUV420.

RGB is an uncompressed format. This option isn't available for 10-bit as it can't pass that much data through HDMI. On this tv if you have the PRO set to 2160 RGB or Auto, it will automatically change to YUV422 for hdr content. If you have it set to 2160 YUV420, it will stay at YUV420 for hdr content.

So it was probably doing that when I was playing on Auto for the first couple weeks. I'm going to keep it on RGB for the next few days and see what happens.

Any specific games anyone encounters this in most frequently?

Blizzje

So it was probably doing that when I was playing on Auto for the first couple weeks. I'm going to keep it on RGB for the next few days and see what happens.

Nah. I can go for days without a black screen but then all of a sudden I get one. Currently testing without using any other HDMI inputs and having all UHD color options for other HDMI inputs to off.

No black screens yet but it's almost certain I'll see one this week. Like I said, I've been through 4 cables and 2 panel replacements, so I'm almost ready to throw in the towel, take my loss and buy a different tv in a few years. What a bummer.

philm87

Does seem very random, and some people get it worse than others, some not at all. I had it 3 or 4 times in the 45 hours I played Horizon Zero Dawn. Not played any HDR games since. Can't remember it happening on Ratchet and Clank, but that's only about a 10 hour or so game.

Aske

Got my first ad on the menus for this tv for some American Gods Amazon show. How Samsung thinks this is acceptable is beyond me. Tizen is already such a garbage os. Nowhere near as fluid as WebOS and with a fraction of the apps, useability of Android 7.0 tv now.

So did I. Fuck that so hard. I love the TV, but those ads are completely unacceptable.

Don't worry, just go into the Terms and Conditions menu and uncheck everything. There's a specific one for "interest based" ads.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So did I. Fuck that so hard. I love the TV, but those ads are completely unacceptable.

Don't worry, just go into the Terms and Conditions menu and uncheck everything. There's a specific one for "interest based" ads.

I'm surprised that ads make you guys this mad.

corn_fest

Did the same, but I still get the occasional ad after rebooting. Gonna have to figure out the adserver IPs and block them at the router level I think.

I'm surprised that ads make you guys this mad.
Being served ads in the menu of your $1000 TV is pretty shit, yeah.

philm87

Is it not just advertising programs on other apps? Don't see too much harm in that. I get google play movie ads show sometimes, might see something I like.
You're talking about the small box ads that come up just above the app selection bar yes?

Aske

Is it not just advertising programs on other apps? Don't see too much harm in that. I get google play movie ads show sometimes, might see something I like.
You're talking about the small box ads that come up just above the app selection bar yes?

An ad box that makes me click right an extra time to open the app I want in the app menu bar. It would be offensive enough if it was just there, but it actively disrupts the GUI. Of course if you find them useful, wonderful: turn them on! I totally do not.

You do not get to advertise to me in the menu of my expensive TV just because it has an internet connection. Absolutely disgusting.

vpance

An ad box that makes me click right an extra time to open the app I want in the app menu bar. It would be offensive enough if it was just there, but it actively disrupts the GUI. Of course if you find them useful, wonderful: turn them on! I totally do not.

You do not get to advertise to me in the menu of my expensive TV just because it has an internet connection. Absolutely disgusting.

It is annoying, as infrequent as they seem to be for now. I think they should be blockable though.

I figured something like this would come eventually but there was no chance I wasn't going to update with HDR10+ coming later this year anyways.

Aske

It is annoying, as infrequent as they seem to be for now. I think they should be blockable though.

I figured something like this would come eventually but there was no chance I wasn't going to update with HDR10+ coming later this year anyways.

I'll be waiting to see if they come back now I've turned them off. If they do, I will be apoplectic.

philm87

Ahh right, I don't get that. Does sound annoying.

Well I talked with Samsung ECR today and it looks like their engineering team is in my backyard in Santa Clara. So they are gonna come over and inspect my KS8000 personally.

Since I know a lot of you guys want specific tweaks for this set. I'd like to give them some of your feedback as I think this is as direct of a path to getting it to real engineers. So if you've got something I can throw their way let me know.

Symphonia

Banned

Oh my god, you have to press one more button!?

#FirstWorldProblems

Skeletron

Well I talked with Samsung ECR today and it looks like their engineering team is in my backyard in Santa Clara. So they are gonna come over and inspect my KS8000 personally.

Since I know a lot of you guys want specific tweaks for this set. I'd like to give them some of your feedback as I think this is as direct of a path to getting it to real engineers. So if you've got something I can throw their way let me know.

The HDR gamie mode issue is my #1 annoyance:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...-doesn-t-save-settings-for-HDR-SDR/td-p/65103
Users want the television to remember to switch the backlight setting to "20" when playing an HDR game, as the television will do for HDR content in every other television mode. As it stands, the television does not save a specific settings profile when playing an HDR game in Game Mode, so the user must manually change the backlight to "20", and any other setting they want to change, for their HDR games when using Game Mode.

vpance

I'll be waiting to see if they come back now I've turned them off. If they do, I will be apoplectic.

I don't think you can turn it off. I've disagreed to every T&C and they've still appeared. Blocking in the firewall may be the only way.

Oh my god, you have to press one more button!?

You have to understand that it's not just about the one button. Different people see ads differently. While I might look at a small ad and see...an innocuous small ad, there are many others who instead see it as a giant middle-finger or a contributing factor to the commercialized downfall of society. It hurts their sensibilities and they want no part of it. Even if I don't see it the same way, I understand they are upset about it, so why not let them be upset. If it somehow resulted in the ads being removed, I'd be all for it.

The HDR gamie mode issue is my #1 annoyance:

I'm just spitballing here but I think there is a possibility this can't be fixed due to the way the set is designed. It's possible that Game Mode bypasses a lot of circuitry including most of the TV's smart guts in order to shave off processing time. It's possible that the portion of the system that handles the game mode is simplified for speed and maybe cannot be updated with firmware. Could also explain the rare red/blue separation issue that is also not fixed. I do not believe that Samsung is unaware of the issue or is choosing not to fix it just to be assholes.

You have to understand that it's not just about the one button. Different people see ads differently. While I might look at a small ad and see...an innocuous small ad, there are many others who instead see it as a giant middle-finger or a contributing factor to the commercialized downfall of society. It hurts their sensibilities and they want no part of it. Even if I don't see it the same way, I understand they are upset about it, so why not let them be upset. If it somehow resulted in the ads being removed, I'd be all for it.

RESUME VIEWING

7nBetJZ.jpg

All I've seen are things that tell me what's on Netflix that I might want to watch, so I'm not too bothered by it, but yeah, I get it.

Top Bottom