• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
What if you could replace it with a B6/C6 at no extra cost?

Hmmm depends on the usage. If mainly for gaming and you need incredibly tight controls KS7000 onwards is way to go.

If for movies and TV B6/C6 is way to go.

If you don't enable HDR on the LG there is next to no input lag. Once HDR is enabled its noticeable.

I wouldn't replace unless an LG patch on the B6 improved the latency. I know they have already done so but it needs more work. I am very sensitive to such things.

I would use Game Mode. It improves the latency for gaming. You only need to change the backlight to 20 manually if the game uses HDR.

How would I know if the game uses HDR? I will just assume all the games do and put it on game mode..and change the backlight to 20 when I do so..so by doing this the screen wont go black like Ive been reading about

You absolutely WANT to use game mode as otherwise input lag is quite bad.

Manual adjustments are only required in game mode as for some reason this mode does not store separate picture settings for SDR and HDR content independently.

Will put the TV on game mode when I turn on the PS4 PRO but will also change the backlight to 20 like the other person suggested, as long as when Im playing a game the screen doesnt go black like Ive read about with other people than its all good :)

ss_lemonade

How would I know if the game uses HDR? I will just assume all the games do and put it on game mode..and change the backlight to 20 when I do so..so by doing this the screen wont go black like Ive been reading about
Hit the circular OK button on your remote and the input description at the top should tell you what resolution you are running at and if hdr is enabled or not.

What do you mean by screen going black? Afaik, you only need backlight at max for hdr games. Problem is, hdr and non-hdr mode settings are shared in game mode, which can be a pain when playing an hdr game one minute, and an sdr game the next. Outside game mode, the TV seems to have no problem differentiating settings between hdr and sdr content

Hit the circular OK button on your remote and the input description at the top should tell you what resolution you are running at and if hdr is enabled or not.

What do you mean by screen going black? Afaik, you only need backlight at max for hdr games. Problem is, hdr and non-hdr mode settings are shared in game mode, which can be a pain when playing an hdr game one minute, and an sdr game the next. Outside game mode, the TV seems to have no problem differentiating settings between hdr and sdr content

Will do..once I turn on my PS4 PRO I will let you knows what resolution its running on..I know HDR is enabled since I did that yesterday and I posted earlier the info under video settings (Resolution..3840x2180-60hz, Color Format..RGB, HDR on Your TV..2K/4K Supported..HDCP..2.2) so I assume those settings are good? I have eye issues so trust me I wouldnt be able to tell you the difference between HDR and cheap 200 buck TV..I always have my brightness on low since I get eye strain and headaches..I had read about some people with this TV having issues when they put the TV into game mode how the picture will just go black and then come back, Im not sure the cause of that some kind of bug so that is what I meant
As far as my TV goes, Im happy with it but one thing sort of bothers me not sure it can be fixed..when I change the channel(And you see black for a few seconds before the channel changes) I see some clouding I think is what you call it, I dont have bleed screen but you do see some clouding not sure if that is just something I have to live with or it can be changed in settings to make it less. I didnt want to exchange the TV since the TV came in good shape and who knows what kind of TV I would get if I exchanged it, could be 10x worse
Gonna play Uncharted 4 to see how the disc drive works, make sure its not too loud

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I find that certain channels look dreadful on this TV compared to my older Penny Plasma. Food Network in particular cones to mind.

I think I'm returning this set. 4 months in and I see a subtle faint smudge of a vertical line on the left side of the panel. Also when the picture is white, the left and right edges have a greenish-blueish tint and isn't fully white. Is this normal?

The faint vertical line sounds like banding. It was probably always there, you just never noticed it until now, and since you know what to look for, you're seeing it everywhere. That's generally how that and DSE work. It usually is there from the beginning and doesn't get worse, but it's a curse of edge-lit LED sets.

As for the edges of the screen: How large is your set and how far away are you sitting when you see this discoloration? The viewing angles on this set are very narrow. So narrow, in fact, that if you are within 5-6 feet to a 55-inch set, contrast and color on the edges of the screen will shift slightly. This may not be your issue but if it is, you'll notice that the discoloration on the edges may lessen or disappear if you move your head right or left enough so that the edge is directly in front of you. I only bring this up because I've noticed some discoloration that alarms me and then when I move my head it goes away and I realize it's just the shitty viewing angles.

I find that certain channels look dreadful on this TV compared to my older Penny Plasma. Food Network in particular cones to mind.

It does not do any favors for overly-compressed cable channels, that's for sure. I'm just not sure if it's the TVs fault or not for exposing crappy source material. IMO, older sets tended to do a better job with low-quality sources.

krang

I'm getting some horrible colour banding in dark scenes in movies - specifically 1080p content. I've got a feeling that it's just the TV showing up the imperfections more than I'm used to, and it varies depending on the movie and whether it's downloaded or live, but does anyone have any settings that lessen the effect?

I'm using the settings in the OP for reference.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I'm getting some horrible colour banding in dark scenes in movies - specifically 1080p content. I've got a feeling that it's just the TV showing up the imperfections more than I'm used to, and it varies depending on the movie and whether it's downloaded or live, but does anyone have any settings that lessen the effect?

I'm using the settings in the OP for reference.

I watched the Revenant on bluray last night. Plenty of dark scenes and it was beautiful.

In my experience with downloaded movies the compression heavily contributes to banding. No real way to resolve other than get better source material.
This TV image is so good it just amplifies the effect.

Standard terrstrial TV urghhhh!!!!

Everything seems good with the PS4 PRO on this TV except for one thing..I have an ethernet cable connected to the PS4 PRO I have TWC Spectrum internet which gives me 100mbps, but sometimes when Im on the home screen under "Whats new" nothing comes up, so I go to network connection and do a speed test and it looks great then I can see what other people are doing..and sometimes when I go to the PSN store to download things from my library it wont come up because of the network not sure why

Okada

Hmmm depends on the usage. If mainly for gaming and you need incredibly tight controls KS7000 onwards is way to go.

If you don't enable HDR on the LG there is next to no input lag. Once HDR is enabled its noticeable.

I wouldn't replace unless an LG patch on the B6 improved the latency. I know they have already done so but it needs more work. I am very sensitive to such things.

The C6 has received an update that brings the HDR input lag right down. It's really impressive, especially after using the pre-updated HDR mode for a few weeks.

Thanks, will try the White Balance setting ASAP.
You also have Dynamic contrast on "high", I really think it looks better for PS4 games, but the loss of detail in movies is quite visible. But to my eyes the other DC settings look more washed out and brighten the picture more than "high". So I settled with DC on "high" for games for now.

Hope it suits you. For me, the very slight purple really helps with skin tones, blue skies, and complimentary gradiation between deep blacks/shadows and orange/red/yellow light sources. Blue and black in general seem so much richer without the ashy green, which keeps them from being outclassed in vibrancy by light sources. Really has a natural pop.

I've only watched one 4K undersea doc on Amazon, but 1080p blurays look fantastic on my end. Seeing so much more in favorites I've had for years and watched dozens of times over. They're like new experiences... you can see the film grain like it's being projected, but still get that absolute clarity. There's only one instance I've had where the dynamic contrast made Carl Weather's face look airbrushed in Predator when him and Arnold meet, but that never happened again, outside of that particular shot and scene.

You can see that film grain, purple tinge and dynamic contrast+black really bring out the best in Evil Within too, even though it doesn't have a Pro patch. It's almost like it was made with this set up in mind. Highly recommend trying it out, since it's on sale digital.

However, yeah, I noticed that more lofi, lower budget straight to DVD/streaming movies on Netflix and Amazon don't do too well with the dynamic contrast. They get the vaseline smear a bit, almost like bilinear filtering did to PSP games. I haven't watched an actual DVD on here, but I bet it would get the short end of the stick, come to think of it. I'll just bump the sharpness up to 20 or so if someone wants to watch one of those, but 90% of the time I never have to touch my settings and never switch to any other modes.

Everything seems good with the PS4 PRO on this TV except for one thing..I have an ethernet cable connected to the PS4 PRO I have TWC Spectrum internet which gives me 100mbps, but sometimes when Im on the home screen under "Whats new" nothing comes up, so I go to network connection and do a speed test and it looks great then I can see what other people are doing..and sometimes when I go to the PSN store to download things from my library it wont come up because of the network not sure why

I have the same problem, it's a bug in the PS4 Pro firmware or something. Has nothing to do with the TV.

I have the same problem, it's a bug in the PS4 Pro firmware or something. Has nothing to do with the TV.

OK good so its just some bug or something wanted to be sure it wasn't something on my end..even when I go back to the home screen(I have the playstation anniversary theme) you will see the grey boxes that is supposed to have pictures and writing but its blank, but when I go to settings and check the network connection and I go back to whats new it will come back..oh another thing..I have the same thing occur on my XBOX ONE S, when I eject a disc the TV screen will go black for a second..now I know its not the console since BOTH my consoles do it so its something to do with the TV or its totally normal?

when I eject a disc the TV screen will go black for a second..now I know its not the console since BOTH my consoles do it so its something to do with the TV or its totally normal?

Was the disc a Blu-Ray you were watching? If you were watching a movie and then ejected the disc the screen might flash because the TV is transitioning from 1080p/24fps (Blu-Ray)to 2160p/60fps. If these are game discs then no, I've not seen the screen flash from ejecting.

Was the disc a Blu-Ray you were watching? If you were watching a movie and then ejected the disc the screen might flash because the TV is transitioning from 1080p/24fps (Blu-Ray)to 2160p/60fps. If these are game discs then no, I've not seen the screen flash from ejecting.

No it was Uncharted 4, a game disc..the screen goes black for a second while its ejecting, it did the same thing when I put in Forza horizon 3 for the XBOX ONE S..when I contacted Microsoft they told me its totally normal..at first I doubted that but she said it was normal, then I saw it do the same with the PS4 PRO..its not flashing it actually goes black til the game is out of the disc drive and then it goes back to the home screen

TLZ

Banned

According to rtings, the C6 4k+HDR input lag is 36.8ms. I'm guessing this should still be ok. I know my KS9500 has 20ms and I'll miss it but hopefully 36.8ms wouldn't be that noticeable....

The faint vertical line sounds like banding. It was probably always there, you just never noticed it until now, and since you know what to look for, you're seeing it everywhere. That's generally how that and DSE work. It usually is there from the beginning and doesn't get worse, but it's a curse of edge-lit LED sets.

As for the edges of the screen: How large is your set and how far away are you sitting when you see this discoloration? The viewing angles on this set are very narrow. So narrow, in fact, that if you are within 5-6 feet to a 55-inch set, contrast and color on the edges of the screen will shift slightly. This may not be your issue but if it is, you'll notice that the discoloration on the edges may lessen or disappear if you move your head right or left enough so that the edge is directly in front of you. I only bring this up because I've noticed some discoloration that alarms me and then when I move my head it goes away and I realize it's just the shitty viewing angles.

Well I'm sat directly in front of it and about 5 feet away. All looks good but that blueish/greeinish tint on the edges :/ It doesn't look right.

Oh yes that banding I do see that as well but that didn't bother me as much. The vertical smudge looks uglier. I'll try taking a pic of it hoping it's visible.

mrndkra

No it was Uncharted 4, a game disc..the screen goes black for a second while its ejecting, it did the same thing when I put in Forza horizon 3 for the XBOX ONE S..when I contacted Microsoft they told me its totally normal..at first I doubted that but she said it was normal, then I saw it do the same with the PS4 PRO..its not flashing it actually goes black til the game is out of the disc drive and then it goes back to the home screen

It flashes black because your tv is going from HDR to standard. That's why it does it for both uncharted and forza.

It flashes black because your tv is going from HDR to standard. That's why it does it for both uncharted and forza.

Now that does make sense..because when I started Uncharted 4 it asked me if I wanted to enable HDR..and I had already turned ON game mode and boosted backlight to 20..but when I exited the PS4 PRO and went back to my TV it had automatically put the settings back to what I had before..now only if I can fix this one other issue I have with the TV..I bought mine from Samsung.com, and when Im changing channels you know how you see all black while its changing channels, you can see a little bit of clouding I guess is what you call it..now I could have sent the TV back but its otherwise perfect and I already bought a 4 year extended warranty through Squaretrade..I didnt want to send the TV back before the 30 days and risk getting something much much worse..is there anything that can be done to reduce the clouding..we have two other Samsung TVs in our house, one from 2012 and one from 2013 and you see it too, so maybe its just a normal thing and Im way too overly obsessive about it but was just wondering if anything could be done

TLZ

Banned

Here are a few images with that veritcal line on the left side, or more like between the middle and far left. My camera isn't the best so I hope it's visible. It looks like a ghost vertical line. It's very visible to my eyes.

U6Yg7ia.jpg

Here are a few images with that veritcal line on the left side, or more like between the middle and far left. My camera isn't the best so I hope it's visible. It looks like a ghost vertical line. It's very visible to my eyes.

Looks like standard vertical banding to me. Is it most noticeable when the camera pans left and right over bright backgrounds like a blue sky or the soccer field? If so, it's very common in LCD sets. If it's bothering you, return it and try another one or the LG OLED if you can.

when Im changing channels you know how you see all black while its changing channels, you can see a little bit of clouding I guess is what you call it..is there anything that can be done to reduce the clouding

Clouding is very common. It's risky but some people have had luck lessening clouding by gently "massaging" the affected area using a soft lint free cloth. However, there's also a chance you will make things worse. Especially with the fragile coating on the KS8000 screen.

ViciousDS

Banned
What were the settings on the S to avoid crushed blacks?

I swear we had a huge breakdown by a gaffer with the auto settings on these consoles like the PS4 and that the only way to avoid it was to have the TV set to auto and the console itself you forced full. I would assume it's the same on the Xbox.

Set TV to auto/native and then set the console itself to PC RGB(full)

TLZ

Banned
Looks like standard vertical banding to me. Is it most noticeable when the camera pans left and right over bright backgrounds like a blue sky or the soccer field? If so, it's very common in LCD sets. If it's bothering you, return it and try another one or the LG OLED if you can.
It's very noticeable all the time on brighter backgrounds and soccer pitches yes. It's literally stuck there and very annoying. This TV has cost me a lot and that's why I'm annoyed. This is my first LCD BTW. Had a plasma before. I'm defo returning it for an oled now.

Clouding is very common. It's risky but some people have had luck lessening clouding by gently "massaging" the affected area using a soft lint free cloth. However, there's also a chance you will make things worse. Especially with the fragile coating on the KS8000 screen.

Yeah I think you call this clouding..I know at the bottom of the screen once I did see a tiny bit of screen bleed but it has since disappeared I think..my eyes, well I am VERY light sensitive so I get constant headaches so I always put the brightness way down. I currently dont have any light in my bedroom have to get the light fixture replaced so Im not sure maybe Eco Sensor should be turned on or other settings should be applied to improve things..I am gonna post a few pics of the TV now granted you are seeing it worse with the pic cause of the way I took it so the first one isnt that bad LOL..I would never do any massaging on the TV would have no clue how to do that..I do have some fingerprint spots on the TV I was told by Samsung to take the Monster Clean with the cloth and clean it but I was thinking to just use the micro cloth and nothing else I dont want to damage the TV..
https://postimg.org/image/551keb6rr/
https://postimg.org/image/fgdx6yyh3/
Maybe you can give me some suggestions on some setting choices so I can improve things..maybe things will improve once I get the light fixture put in the room will be more lighted

Robiin

Just got a PS4 Pro. The "only" things I need to change when playing an HDR game is Backlight and Smart LED right?

Does Ratchet & Clank support HDR? I've heard good stuff about the Pro patch for that game. Just tried The Witness out, looked great.

Shai-Tan

Banned
yeah ratchet and clank supports hdr with the newest patch

backlight will change automatically with hdr. if you don't see the popup it might not be enabled.to have that happen you need UHD color enabled on that hdmi source. also might need to set black level to normal rather than low. otherwise auto on ps4 should work but you can also just set the settings for it manually. while in an HDR game you can go in the ps4 display settings or info on the tv and have it tell you what the video is set to which should show something like yuv422 or yuv420

otherwise the only settings are game mode enabled and sharpness lower if it's at it's default 50 (most say 0 is right but 0-20 should be fine). also might want to update the firmware over usb if the automatic search isn't finding a new one (I manually updated to 1154 from 1142 but 1154/1155 might be up on the automatic search by now)

dedhead54

Just got a PS4 Pro. The "only" things I need to change when playing an HDR game is Backlight and Smart LED right?

Does Ratchet & Clank support HDR? I've heard good stuff about the Pro patch for that game. Just tried The Witness out, looked great.

For me it is cranking the backlight to 20 and setting dynamic contrast to medium. I don't make any adjustment to Smart LED (always off on my set).

The game looks excellent. And is quite fun as well. I bought it when I bought my Pro and wasn't disappointed.

backlight will change automatically with hdr. if you don't see the popup it might not be enabled.to have that happen you need UHD color enabled on that hdmi source.

When I am using Game Mode this doesn't happen still. I'm on the latest US firmware available through the update via the set itself. I have to manually adjust backlight when I start Ratchet and Clank or Forza Horizon 3.

Shai-Tan

Banned
you don't need dynamic contrast. I would disable that unless you want the picture to pop in an unnatural way. that might make sense with Ratchet and Clank I suppose. I actually used HDR+ rather than game mode in Abzu and Journey (neither are HDR) which made the games look nice even if the same mode on other games looks horrible

edit: another option which should be set on HDR is Smart LED to high

Shai-Tan

Banned
When I am using Game Mode this doesn't happen still. I'm on the latest US firmware available through the update via the set itself. I have to manually adjust backlight when I start Ratchet and Clank or Forza Horizon 3.

are you sure you have HDMI UHD Color enabled for the HDMI source in the Samsung options? does it say it is in YUV422 or YUV420 for color in info (either on the tv or ps4 display options) while in an HDR game? If it doesn't HDR isn't enabled.

What firmware do you have? If it's old you can update manually by extracting the firmware downloaded from the web site on to a usb stick

madmackem

I have to say I was all set on buying this set but the post about juddering in games etc and the other issues that have popped up on tv forums has put me well off. I was dead set on getting this set too it was perfect price and performance and all reviews were glowing but I'd be coming off a top of the line a few years ago Bravia and would be gutted if I could spot all these issue when I'm happy with my current set bar it being 1080p only.

Robiin

are you sure you have HDMI UHD Color enabled for the HDMI source in the Samsung options? does it say it is in YUV422 or YUV420 for color in info (either on the tv or ps4 display options) while in an HDR game? If it doesn't HDR isn't enabled.

What firmware do you have? If it's old you can update manually by extracting the firmware downloaded from the web site on to a usb stick

For me it recognizes HDR but it doesn't change the backlight automatically (guess it's because of Game mode). It's a known bug from what I understand.

Simbo

Neo Member
I have a 55KS7000 (UK equivalent of KS8000) and I don't get any juddering during gaming. I have also had the RGB separation once when I first got the TV but it hasn't happened in 2 months.

The only time I see juddering is whilst watching football / soccer which is very rare these days as I generally watch it via Kodi on my laptop.

A lot of these issues seem to be panel dependant......definitely a lottery as other people have mentioned.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I posted this earlier in the thread, but nobody responded. I would really appreciate someone else with this TV to help me diagnose an issue (Samsung support are not being helpful).

Can anyone confirm if they are able to access a local PLEX server over ethernet? If so what port is your PLEX server running on.

It seems that I am restricted on accessing ports other than 80 or 443 when using ethernet (I can access the server over WIFI though).

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I have to say I was all set on buying this set but the post about juddering in games etc and the other issues that have popped up on tv forums has put me well off. I was dead set on getting this set too it was perfect price and performance and all reviews were glowing but I'd be coming off a top of the line a few years ago Bravia and would be gutted if I could spot all these issue when I'm happy with my current set bar it being 1080p only.

I have to say that I was wrong and apologised a page or 2 back.

The TV is incredible and the juddering was mistaken for ghosting/strobing as you pan the camera in games of around 30fps or below. Having checked LG OLED B6 it is apparent that this ghosting is present on most/all TVs. The image is so good on this TV that it simply highlighted more then i've noticed with past TVs.
Yes I get juddering in fast moving programmes/Bluray but I believe thats present in most TVs. Not sure what causes this.

Love the TV, dont be put off what I was saying many posts back. Im simply not used to a TV this good.

Hopefully with more powerful consoles i.e scorpio ps4 pro we get more 60fps games as these run and look absolutely jaw dropping.

Solid 30 fps games are really good, but one a game drops to 20-29 fps the image is awful. Not the TVs fault mind!!!

ss_lemonade

Don't know what you have right now but my US ks9000 (and I believe the 8000 as well) handles motion just as well as my bravia w900a (with what looks to be lesser motion blur on the samsung set). The only real advantage my bravia has is being able to use impulse/bfi together with game mode, which not everyone seems to like anyway due to the heavy drop in brightness and possible flickering

I've had this set for about a month and gotta say it's been amazing. Doing all the calibrations / settings for HDR in game mode has been exactly what I wanted. Also watching 4K content on this set versus my previous 2014 Samsung 4K set is almost night and day. I really can't imagine the LG OLED sets being that much better than this. Maybe I hit the display jackpot but I really haven't noticed any problems at all. Highly recommend this, especially if you can get some sort of discount (I used my company's employee discount).

Yesssss, just got notified my ks8000 tv was delivered today.

Since then i've been scanning this thread for suggestions and i'm kind of overwhelmed. For gaming, are the Digital Foundry suggestions still recommended (https://youtu.be/dsTHtQ8hI1U)? They seem easy to enough to follow.

Is there any recommended guide or post # similar in depth to Digital Foundry for regular tv viewing settings?Mostly cable tv, sports, Netflix and other streaming services would be used for this.

Thanks for the help!

Aces&Eights

Yesssss, just got notified my ks8000 tv was delivered today.

Since then i've been scanning this thread for suggestions and i'm kind of overwhelmed. For gaming, are the Digital Foundry suggestions still recommended (https://youtu.be/dsTHtQ8hI1U)? They seem easy to enough to follow.

Is there any recommended guide or post # similar in depth to Digital Foundry for regular tv viewing settings?Mostly cable tv, sports, Netflix and other streaming services would be used for this.

Thanks for the help!

DF has good info. Just make sure you do the firmware update before you begin. Congrats on the tv. Mine arrived last Friday and i could have easily called in sick today to stay home and play vids. Damn work ethic.

As for the settings, I prefer Game Mode when playing vids. From there, make sure all 4 inputs are turned on for hdr. (It's in the expert settings) Then, it's really about personal preference. Warm vs cool, etc. Backlight should be cranked up though. Sharpness to 0.

For TV/movies, I use the hdr+ for both. Use movie mode then tinker contrast, tone to preference. Smart LED is on.

There is some great info in this thread if you have issues. It's worth taking the time to read.

DF has good info. Just make sure you do the firmware update before you begin. Congrats on the tv. Mine arrived last Friday and i could have easily called in sick today to stay home and play vids. Damn work ethic.

As for the settings, I prefer Game Mode when playing vids. From there, make sure all 4 inputs are turned on for hdr. (It's in the expert settings) Then, it's really about personal preference. Warm vs cool, etc. Backlight should be cranked up though. Sharpness to 0.

For TV/movies, I use the hdr+ for both. Use movie mode then tinker contrast, tone to preference. Smart LED is on.

There is some great info in this thread if you have issues. It's worth taking the time to read.

Thanks for this. Yep, once I have my TV turned on i'll have a better idea of what i need to do, just slightly overwhelmed with the proper place to start. Opening a thread with nearly 4,600 replies is awesome, but slightly daunting at the same time.

Belker

It's very noticeable all the time on brighter backgrounds and soccer pitches yes. It's literally stuck there and very annoying. This TV has cost me a lot and that's why I'm annoyed. This is my first LCD BTW. Had a plasma before. I'm defo returning it for an oled now.

FYI Rtings says that OLED is much better then LED for colour uniformity, but the technology isn't flawless.

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-type/oled-vs-led

I have similar banding on my TV and some other issues. It is an expensive TV, but I've decided its less risky to keep it than to send it back. Compared to some horror stories I've seen, I suspect I got somewhat lucky with my panel despite its problems - which is admittedly an indictment of Samsung.

Judder -

I saw some in WatchDogs 2. There's a wall that has graffito that looks something like the ascent of man. The writing there skips and judders when panning left and right quickly, even in game mode. It is what it is.

Cleaning -

I think I've seen people recommend a produt called 'Ecomoist' on avforums. But given there are other brands of TV with the 7000/8000 numbering, I can't be sure it was for the Samsung. Might be worth looking into anyway.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00846UAZM/

ss_lemonade

I've had this set for about a month and gotta say it's been amazing. Doing all the calibrations / settings for HDR in game mode has been exactly what I wanted. Also watching 4K content on this set versus my previous 2014 Samsung 4K set is almost night and day. I really can't imagine the LG OLED sets being that much better than this. Maybe I hit the display jackpot but I really haven't noticed any problems at all. Highly recommend this, especially if you can get some sort of discount (I used my company's employee discount).

The biggest difference would probably be in black levels and oled's natural local dimming ability. Smart LED works sort of to darken/lighten portions of the screen, but the way light can bleed into black when you have a screen that's mostly black and a bit of text or an image on screen (loading screens usually in games) can become distracting. You get these huge blooming artifacts that extend throughout the entire height of the screen, and quite a bit horizontally. I just try to ignore it in favor for better blacks lol. Makes me wish Samsung went with a full array setup for their TVs ks8000 and up (though I guess that would have jacked the price even higher and made the panels much more thicker)

The biggest difference would probably be in black levels and oled's natural local dimming ability. Smart LED works sort of to darken/lighten portions of the screen, but the way light can bleed into black when you have a screen that's mostly black and a bit of text or an image on screen (loading screens usually in games) can become distracting. You get these huge blooming artifacts that extend throughout the entire height of the screen, and quite a bit horizontally. I just try to ignore it in favor for better blacks lol. Makes me wish Samsung went with a full array setup for their TVs ks8000 and up (though I guess that would have jacked the price even higher and made the panels much more thicker)

That makes sense. I either haven't noticed that in my usage or generally haven't looked for it. Been doing a heavy mix of PS4 Pro gaming and watching either 4K blu-rays on my XB1S or streaming various shows / movies (Netflix & HBO). For what I paid on a 65" (around $1100) I'm immensely happy.

I have similar banding on my TV and some other issues. It is an expensive TV, but I've decided its less risky to keep it than to send it back. Compared to some horror stories I've seen, I suspect I got somewhat lucky with my panel despite its problems - which is admittedly an indictment of Samsung.

I wouldn't single out Samsung. It's really an indictment of all LED LCD TVs, especially edge-lit ones which is the vast majority. I've tried sets from Sony, Panasonic, LG, and more and panel uniformity is never perfect on these sets. Even rear-lit LED models like the Samsung JU7500 suffer from slightly uneven brightness across the screen and once you realize what you're noticing it's hard to ignore. Most people will never see or notice these issues but they're usually present unless you are incredibly lucky. In my experience, the Samsung edge-lits are among the best when it comes to this issue.

Check out this page on RTINGS site that rates uniformity and gives example pictures for each model they've reviewed. LG's OLEDs are at the top but they aren't perfect. Samsung's Edge-lit LCDs are among the best of the LCD models, though there is always variation from panel to panel and you may get one that is worse than average.

Belker

I wouldn't single out Samsung. It's really an indictment of all LED LCD TVs, especially edge-lit ones which is the vast majority.

Good points. My old TV was a 2.5 year old Sony. The picture was great and the response time only 13ms. But it had far worse banding on a much smaller screen. That's what I'm comparing my set to, pros and cons.

Top Bottom