• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Aces&Eights

Holy hell Zip Extractor on Google Onedrive is taking forever to unzip the file. I downloaded it here at work to OneDrive so when I get home I can throw it on my flash drive unzipped but this is taking fooooreeeevvver.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Cross Post from the TV Thread

Mid early December my parents bought a Samsung KS8000 with my assistance using EPP. I coaxed my parents to get the KS8000 over the cheaper Samsung TV. The company delivering it was a freight service I've never heard of called AGS, Associated Global Systems. It shipped well before Christmas, but still hadn't been delivered by January. At one point it was sitting in one area for more than a week. My dad kept calling the company trying to track down the TV. It was like they didn't want to deliver it. Several calls several weeks later they finally got the TV delivered.

The TV box had a huge gaping hole on the bottom. They opened the box and there is a huge crack going through the whole TV.

My dad called Samsung and Samsung claims they can't give them the same price for the TV ($1079 + Tax) and they'll have to order the TV for full price and get a refund some time later.

I'm livid.

GReeeeN

does anyone recommend any settings to use in game mode (PS4) without using the Warm 2 filter?

I've tried calibrating the TV using the recommended settings in this thread, but I feel with the Warm 2 setting, the image looks way too dark and and whites having a very strong yellow tinge to it isn't very attractive.

If anyone can help me out that'd be awesome. I'm thinking of returning my x800d for this set but the only thing thats keeping me from doing so is the motion blur and how apparently it's not that great.

Can anyone let me know how it is?

Insane Metal

Gold Member
So the strangest thing started happening. My TV has always seemed to have different settings for HDR and non-HDR content, and would switch between them automatically depending on the source (playing a non-HDR game like Bloodborne would show different Picture Settings than when playing an HDR game like Ratchet and Clank, for example). This was great as I could fine tune my settings for both HDR and non-HDR content separately and get great results for both. But all of a sudden, as of today there just seems to be one set of a settings for both, no automatic switching. Anyone know what could be up with this?
If mine was ever split like that, I never noticed. I do know mine is like yours is now. HDR on, same settings. Since you mention it, that would be ideal, yeah.

Maybe play with the "Current Source/All Sources" setting and see if that has any effect for it? No idea.

Ok, follow up, I did encounter that today on HDMI 2 which my Samsung K8500 4K blu ray player is hooked up to, which I also have to calibrate a lot. I finally pinned down that I needed the actual player's settings set to ycbr 4:4:4 in order to see anything in Deadpool and bring it to parity with BvS & Revenant... and that has also subsequently improved everything so that I don't need to use any judder reduction or ever switch to dynamic, even for older 4K transfer films like Crouching Tiger & Labyrinth.

Once I felt content with that, I threw on a regular 1080p blu ray of Predator, which of course doesn't trigger the HDR content detection switch... and indeed, my settings were wrong. Realized it was on Warm1, judder reduction up to 3, and a couple other basic slider differences. Threw BvS back in to confirm and write down those settings. Switched back one more time to match them up and now both HDR & non-HDR looks right, stays right.

Everything is current source, so that's not the issue. Now I'll have to see what happens over on HDMI 3 with the Pro when I switch Uncharted 4's HDR on and off, since that's the easiest one. This might actually be useful when all's said and done.

Orayn

That's the exact guide I used, and it leaves everything looking very yellow

I say just use Warm1, it's not "industry perfect" but it's a great all-around setting that's good for all kinds of content. Some people have even reported going back to it after various intensive calibration settings.

Apath

Cross Post from the TV Thread

Mid early December my parents bought a Samsung KS8000 with my assistance using EPP. I coaxed my parents to get the KS8000 over the cheaper Samsung TV. The company delivering it was a freight service I've never heard of called AGS, Associated Global Systems. It shipped well before Christmas, but still hadn't been delivered by January. At one point it was sitting in one area for more than a week. My dad kept calling the company trying to track down the TV. It was like they didn't want to deliver it. Several calls several weeks later they finally got the TV delivered.

The TV box had a huge gaping hole on the bottom. They opened the box and there is a huge crack going through the whole TV.

My dad called Samsung and Samsung claims they can't give them the same price for the TV ($1079 + Tax) and they'll have to order the TV for full price and get a refund some time later.

I'm livid.
That's fucked up. They really won't replace it?

After a busy day of work, I came back home and when I glanced at my TV I saw something that looked like a smudge. I tried cleaning it with the provided micro fiber cloth but then I noticed it wasn't going away. Upon close inspection, I realized it wasn't actually a smudge from finger print. I don't know what it is. Here is a pic.

32261895085_c6521a085a_c.jpg

Trust me guys it's not a smudge or a crack. I called Samsung and they ask me to send pics. Should I send them this pic?

laxu

Thinking of getting a 4K TV. Should I jump in now? When do the new models usually come out?

This year's models were just revealed at CES. Probably a few months until they start shipping and then a few more for reviews and good availability. Based on the info released the new models should offer more brightness (good for HDR) and better viewing angles. Personally I have no complaints about either on my KS7005 (Nordic KS8000).

Simbo

Neo Member
After a busy day of work, I came back home and when I glanced at my TV I saw something that looked like a smudge. I tried cleaning it with the provided micro fiber cloth but then I noticed it wasn't going away. Upon close inspection, I realized it wasn't actually a smudge from finger print. I don't know what it is. Here is a pic.

32261895085_c6521a085a_c.jpg

Trust me guys it's not a smudge or a crack. I called Samsung and they ask me to send pics. Should I send them this pic?

Looks like a booger.

EDIT: On a more serious note does it appear to be on the inside or outside of the screen?

Belker

That's fucked up. They really won't replace it?

Could you find out if the courier has a policy of taking photos when delivering items like that? When I ordered the TV here in the UK, that's what the courier did to protect themselves.

If they did and there's no photo, that might be a solution. If you're going to ask, maybe do so as a regular punter asking a general enquiry of customer service. That way you'll be getting an unbiased answer.

I actually missed a couple of slight dings when I inspected the box, but luckily they weren't serious. I did remember to write something like 'TV not yet inspected' on the docket.

EDIT - bugger, I meant to quote Trojita.

laxu

Nah. Just an HDMI running straight from my PC to the TV.

Then check if any overscan options are enabled in Nvidia Control panel. For me it has worked just fine with 980 Ti straight to TV. Try a different cable if you have one as I have experienced some really weird shit with them.

So sometimes my TV will change inputs out of the blue. Like yesterday, i was playing on xbox and it switched to my ps4 input, and my ps4 was off....

It's a total crapshoot and only Samsung knows why. If you want to be on the most current firmware you're going to have to use USB. The built-in network updater is for casuals who will probably leave it on auto anyway.

I figure its a slow rollout in case they accidentally brick TVs. They let early adopters get in on it via USB updates right away, and then they probably control which regions to send the OTA update to.

dcx4610

does anyone recommend any settings to use in game mode (PS4) without using the Warm 2 filter?

I've tried calibrating the TV using the recommended settings in this thread, but I feel with the Warm 2 setting, the image looks way too dark and and whites having a very strong yellow tinge to it isn't very attractive.

Warm 1 is recommend by Microsoft in their calibration. Warm 2 is a little too off to me. Warm 1 feels closer no natural me.

I figure its a slow rollout in case they accidentally brick TVs. They let early adopters get in on it via USB updates right away, and then they probably control which regions to send the OTA update to.

I agree and had this thought myself. People that go to the trouble of the USB method know what they are doing and would likely be more apt to both report on and understand any issues so that Samsung can make corrections or pull the update before it gets rolled out to too many "normal" people.

Nah. Just an HDMI running straight from my PC to the TV.

I would check in my Nvidia control panel, specifically the page that talks about desktop scaling and make sure all that stuff was unchecked. Have you updated your Nvidia drivers since you were on the new TV?

So sometimes my TV will change inputs out of the blue. Like yesterday, i was playing on xbox and it switched to my ps4 input, and my ps4 was off....

The PS4 is capable of sending an HDMI signal out to TVs and Receivers that basically says "Switch to my input". None of my other devices do this. You can turn this off to see if it corrects the issue: On your PS4, go to (Settings) > [System], and then uncheck the checkbox for [Enable HDMI Device Link].

Alucard725

Neo Member
This year's models were just revealed at CES. Probably a few months until they start shipping and then a few more for reviews and good availability. Based on the info released the new models should offer more brightness (good for HDR) and better viewing angles. Personally I have no complaints about either on my KS7005 (Nordic KS8000).

Thanks for the info. Saw a post about some dude who had a bad experience with Samsung customer service. Good thing I'm not gonna buy it directly from them.

chaosaeon

If there are no patch notes I'm almost convinced these updates are just to look like they're supporting this and doing something. Also, waiting to see if this auto updates for a second time while I have that turned off.

I just got my 55 inch and I'm in love with the TV. It's now my only computer monitor, and the desktop looks great with 4k. I'm pleased with how it looks with the PS4 and Xbox. The overall TV UI is a huge improvement over what I've had before. The remote even works on the Xbox somehow, which is fantastic for watching my cable which is fed through the console. Burn in is not a thing on this right? I saw the 10 year Samsung warranty, so I'm assuming it's not. I'm not going to be in trouble if I doze off and have it on my desktop for 6 hours will I?

I'm very colorblind, so I'm not overall concerned with color accuracy. I read through the recommended settings, but I wanted to be sure that I'm getting the most out of the TV. I set every input to game mode, set the sharpness to 0, and changed the HDMI UHD color on the PC input based on the comments about it making text clearer. Should I change anything else?

The PS4 is capable of sending an HDMI signal out to TVs and Receivers that basically says "Switch to my input". None of my other devices do this. You can turn this off to see if it corrects the issue: On your PS4, go to (Settings) > [System], and then uncheck the checkbox for [Enable HDMI Device Link].

I did that thx

How often do you guys find that you have to hold the power button down on the remote a bit to restart everything in order to get certain apps working?

Really annoying how often I have to do this.

How often do you guys find that you have to hold the power button down on the remote a bit to restart everything in order to get certain apps working?

Havent had to yet, but i only use youtube and netflix. I think it happened once

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Never so far, been a month or so of heavy use too.

What are the apps doing to require a restart, hanging or crashing completely?

Ever since I updated the TV to 1160 you know when you turn on the TV and it shows you what shows are currently on(I Have TWC and it shows up at the bottom as some sort of TWC app) now when I turn on the TV and it stays this way, that area is blank, and on the left hand side it shows "Recordings" "Guide" and "Home" but it no longer shows on the right hand side anything its totally blank, how do I get that all back?

reKon

Banned
I've got an important question that I hope multiple people here can give me input on

I'm interested in an OLED TV set, but I'm too scared of potential IR issues based on my experience with my Panasonic Plasma (55UT50) and I use this display as computer monitor as well for my home entertainment set up.

I may go for the 2016 version of the 8000 if it's on sale this year

My question:

Is there any one who has has moved from one a Panasonic set similar to mine (known for having outstanding picture quality, even at the mid range models) to a KS8000?

I know the color will be great, but were you fine with the black levels and level of detail in comparison?

Thanks.

Rip

I've got an important question that I hope multiple people here can give me input on

I'm interested in an OLED TV set, but I'm too scared of potential IR issues based on my experience with my Panasonic Plasma (55UT50) and I use this display as computer monitor as well for my home entertainment set up.

My question:

Is there any one who has has moved from one a Panasonic set similar to mine (known for having outstanding picture quality, even at the mid range models) to a KS8000?

I know the color will be great, but were you fine with the black levels and level of detail in comparison?

Thanks.

Just get the OLED, it'll be fine brother! You won't regret it.

reKon

Banned
Just get the OLED, it'll be fine brother! You won't regret it.

Ughhh. My issue with pricing. I have to go at least 65 inches. OLEDs at that size have not dropped past $2K and that's just too much for me... a $500 premium (if it does hit $2K which is an absolute best case scenario). I feel like I will have to wait another 2-3 years until I see the type of pricing I would like to see on OLED TVs ($1600 - $2000 for 65 inch)

Heel

Ughhh. My issue with pricing. I have to go at least 65 inches. OLEDs at that size have not dropped past $2K and that's just too much for me... a $500 premium (if it does hit $2K which is an absolute best case scenario). I feel like I will have to wait another 2-3 years until I see the type of pricing I would like to see on OLED TVs ($1600 - $2000 for 65 inch)

Yeah, double the price at this juncture is my issue. Not worth it to me, personally.

OLED down the road a few years, though: Cheaper, HDMI 2.1, better peak brightness? I'm in.

sugarman

The CraveTV app on this TV is hilariously bad, as far as I can tell you can't pause or rewind or control anything about the video whatsoever. Just start the episode and finish it or else you have to watch it again from the beginning to get back to where you left off.

Yeah, double the price at this juncture is my issue. Not worth it to me, personally. OLED down the road a few years, though: Cheaper, HDMI 2.1, better peak brightness? I'm in.

Same here. The 55KS8000 is far from my ideal TV, but it'll get me by at a reasonable price until OLED and HDMI 2.1 are here and more affordable. If I'm going to spend a fortune on a 65" OLED, I might as well wait another couple years and get one with variable refresh rate support for gaming. HDMI 2.1 could be a game changer for comfy couch aficionados like me.

Belker

Hope this isn't an inappropriate bump, but just saw this on the Samsung forum - I get emails when the red/blue separation thread is updated.

"[A Samsung mod said] If it is only happening in game mode, Samsung considers that normal. Game has a tendency to "shake" the screen a bit which causes this temporary shift or separation of colors. If it is also happening in Netflix or other sources, then there may be something else at fault."

Anyone know if they're spinning a line?

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...color-separation-in-Game-Mode/m-p/59619#M7497

Hope this isn't an inappropriate bump, but just saw this on the Samsung forum - I get emails when the red/blue separation thread is updated.

"[A Samsung mod said] If it is only happening in game mode, Samsung considers that normal. Game has a tendency to "shake" the screen a bit which causes this temporary shift or separation of colors. If it is also happening in Netflix or other sources, then there may be something else at fault."

Anyone know if they're spinning a line?

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...color-separation-in-Game-Mode/m-p/59619#M7497

Sounds like a hot bullshit quote that confuses the problem people are having, with occasional in-game visual effects like screenshake or temporary chromatic abrasion.

That being said, woe is the CSR who has to take 300 calls a day for people who can't tell the difference.

KalBalboa

Banned
So just to clarify, as this seems to be the most active place:

There are no component inputs on this set, right? I'd need to get a converter to use my PS2 on this TV?

KalBalboa

Banned
Man. I looked at my breakout box to confirm and saw I was out of luck. I was secretly hoping there was something I was missing.

Unrelated note: I just played some Twisted Metal (2012) on my PS3 with the 55" KS8000 and was pleasantly surprised how great it still looked.

Orayn

Yeah, the quality of last-gen content on this thing seems really fantastic, even without any sharpening. I'm currently playing through the Ico remaster and I'm super happy with it.

My question:

Thanks.

I was personally fine with it. However, I came from a ST30. Still using it for my PS4 in fact.

I just got a KS800 today. I'm sure this been answered in this thread, but there's a lot to read through!

I had Game Mode on and when that was selected, the PS4 said that the TV did not support HDR. When I turn HDR+ Mode on, the PS4 says that HDR is supported.

So... is there a way to have Game Mode enabled and have HDR ability at the same time? Is one or the other bad? I've read that HDR+ Mode shouldn't be enabled... but then the PS4 doesn't recognize that capability.

I just got a KS800 today. I'm sure this been answered in this thread, but there's a lot to read through!

I had Game Mode on and when that was selected, the PS4 said that the TV did not support HDR. When I turn HDR+ Mode on, the PS4 says that HDR is supported.

So... is there a way to have Game Mode enabled and have HDR ability at the same time? Is one or the other bad? I've read that HDR+ Mode shouldn't be enabled... but then the PS4 doesn't recognize that capability.
Something is going wrong. HDR+ isn't real HDR, and it real HDR should work.

The most likely scenario is that you need to go into advanced settings and make sure UHD HDMI is set as enabled for all ports.

If that doesn't work, are you possibly going through a receiver, and using the HDMI cable that came with the receiver?

Turn off HDR+ mode because that's the faux HDR mode for SDR content that Samsung offers which I think is shit. Turn on UHD HDMI Color to on for all of your input.

Settings>Picture>Expert Settings>HDMI UHD Color and turn then all on.

sugarman

I think HDR+ mode is to fake hdr on non-hdr content, so leave it off and use game mode and your tv will recognize it automatically.

Top Bottom