• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

I hope one day, a firmware update sets them enabled by default.

There have to be so many frustrated christmas mornings by normal people not used to digging through forum threads.

Something is going wrong. HDR+ isn't real HDR, and it real HDR should work.

The most likely scenario is that you need to go into advanced settings and make sure UHD HDMI is set as enabled for all ports.

If that doesn't work, are you possibly going through a receiver, and using the HDMI cable that came with the receiver?

Thank you! I had UHD HDMI enabled only on HDMI 2 (which is where the PS4 is). But when I changed all four of them to "On"... it worked? Weird, but I'll take it. Thanks again!

Turn off HDR+ mode because that's the faux HDR mode for SDR content that Samsung offers which I think is shit. Turn on UHD HDMI Color to on for all of your input.

Settings>Picture>Expert Settings>HDMI UHD Color and turn then all on.

Yes, that was it. Thanks! I thought I would just have to enable that setting on the applicable ports. The other three ports are a 360, PS3, and Wii U, so I didn't even think to turn it on for those.

hawk2025

Is there anything at all different about the 8500?

Any additional lag or features, or is it exactly like the 8000 save for the curve?

Aeana

Is there any way to tell what quality settings the Netflix app is using? I can't even access the normal TV info panel while Netflix is open. I'm trying to figure out if it's even using HDR. TV doesn't say anything like it does when displaying HDR content from the PS4.

The CraveTV app on this TV is hilariously bad, as far as I can tell you can't pause or rewind or control anything about the video whatsoever. Just start the episode and finish it or else you have to watch it again from the beginning to get back to where you left off.

From what I've noticed there are quite a few apps that I can't rewind or fast forward: Starz, Showtime, HBOGo. I can at least pause and play.

Also I have issues with my soundbar only recognizing one input instead of all of them simultaneously, but I just have to use my soundbar remote sometimes. Not a big deal, but my older tv was able to let me use the volume throughout.

As far as Netflix, I've noticed some movies and shows have HDR in the title, while some have Ultra 4K HD. I wish they wouldn't have taken away the video info we could access during playback and I wish we could see some kind of HDR enabled popup.

W Hudson

Has anyone had issues with their Amazon video streaming on the ks8000? I've got a 35mb Internet connection and I'm getting an annoying stutter only when streaming on Amazon. Everything else is great but I can't seem to get amazon to stream smoothly.

My apologies. I asked this but still haven't been able to find the answer. I have the ks8000 and had to exchange it for bad light bleed so I exchanged it. The first set would change all the picture settings when I would pop in Forza Horizon 3 (puttinfback light up to 20, changing smart led, etc). This new one doesn't do that. Any idea what I need to change so it does what the previous set did? I'm on firmware 1155. Any help would be appreciated. This is driving me nuts.

Heel

My apologies. I asked this but still haven't been able to find the answer. I have the ks8000 and had to exchange it for bad light bleed so I exchanged it. The first set would change all the picture settings when I would pop in Forza Horizon 3 (puttinfback light up to 20, changing smart led, etc). This new one doesn't do that. Any idea what I need to change so it does what the previous set did? I'm on firmware 1155. Any help would be appreciated. This is driving me nuts.

As it stands, we're all in the same boat. The TV does not currently automatically change settings for HDR-enabled games. In effect, you have one set of television settings for your games and must change the backlight up to 20 for your HDR games manually, until (if) Samsung fixes this issue.

This is the issue you're describing, right?

VicViper

You are in game mode.

Ryuukan

Has anyone had issues with their Amazon video streaming on the ks8000? I've got a 35mb Internet connection and I'm getting an annoying stutter only when streaming on Amazon. Everything else is great but I can't seem to get amazon to stream smoothly.

I had this issue since I got the tv on my 200mb Comcast connection

the fix for me was connecting to my 2.4ghz band wifi instead of 5ghz, smooth amazon streaming ever since

this was under 1155, haven't tried switching back under 1160 in case this was a software issue

Is there any way to tell what quality settings the Netflix app is using? I can't even access the normal TV info panel while Netflix is open. I'm trying to figure out if it's even using HDR. TV doesn't say anything like it does when displaying HDR content from the PS4.

the only tell I know is to check the backlight setting while the video is playing to see if the tv turned it up to 20 to check if its HDR

The contrast has to be up to 100 as well for HDR in addition to the backlight, correct? It'd be nice in Samsung gave us some kind of clue as to if something was activated in the television.

mario_O

Well, I found that I can still get HDR to work without enabling 'HDMI UHD Color' (I have a KU7000 model and in only has 'HDMI UHD Color' in the HDMI port 1). Plugging my PC to an HDMI port without 'HDMI UHD Color' still gets HDR to work in games like Shadow Warrior 2. Go figure. Maybe it's missing some features like 'wide color gamut' or 10 bit color, not sure, but it works.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Does anyone else have problem with Spotify? I keep on clicking the song but nothing plays, i cant even force close the app. Fucking hate Samsung OS.

btw I cant even update the TV, when I go into setting. Update section is grayed out and says this function isnt available.

That sounds like network connection issues.

It does? How come everything else works perfectly fine? Netflix, YouTube.

any more suggestions?

Aeana

the only tell I know is to check the backlight setting while the video is playing to see if the tv turned it up to 20 to check if its HDR

It hasn't been doing that for me at all. I have the 4K plan, and I put on something I know is HDR, like A Series of Unfortunate Events, and it's obviously playing in 4K but my backlight setting doesn't change.

MazeHaze

Banned
It hasn't been doing that for me at all. I have the 4K plan, and I put on something I know is HDR, like A Series of Unfortunate Events, and it's obviously playing in 4K but my backlight setting doesn't change.
I don't think that show is HDR.

Belker

In the colour separation thread on the Samsung forum, a mod is asking for video. Any chance someone here could oblige? I'm not easily able to do it right now, otherwise I would.

ss_lemonade

In the colour separation thread on the Samsung forum, a mod is asking for video. Any chance someone here could oblige? I'm not easily able to do it right now, otherwise I would.
I could probably get it to happen on my ks9000 by swapping back and forth between settings. Don't know if that counts but I'll try to catch it in video later

I think you're right. It was advertised last year that it would be when it came out, but I'm seeing other people say it isn't. What crap.

That show isn't HDR and HDR shows on Netflix have a badge that says HDR. I recommend trying Daredevil or Jessica Jones, those shows are HDR for sure.

Well, I found that I can still get HDR to work without enabling 'HDMI UHD Color' (I have a KU7000 model and in only has 'HDMI UHD Color' in the HDMI port 1). Plugging my PC to an HDMI port without 'HDMI UHD Color' still gets HDR to work in games like Shadow Warrior 2. Go figure. Maybe it's missing some features like 'wide color gamut' or 10 bit color, not sure, but it works.

I may be incorrect about this but I believe the KU7000 (US model) doesn't have a 10bit panel so although Samsung says it has HDR it truly doesn't meet the UHD Alliance Premium certification for HDR which is a 10 bit panel.

If you're not getting 10 bit color, you aren't getting HDR.

Sleeping Lesson is correct.

Trojan

I bought a 65" KS8500

:O

Welcome to real livin, brother. I've got the 65" (no curve) and it's been one of the best entertainment investments I've made. I still have people come over and say "holy shit" when they are watching with me.

So... wall-mounting a KS8500...

Does it look bad because of the curve? Are the mounts for curved TVs reliable?

It shouldn't look bad if you do it right. I wall-mounted mine and with the curved you still should barely be able to see if from the sides.

The wall-mounting for this TV seems pretty solid. I even didn't have the correct screws for my wall mount unit and still hung it fine (they aren't as long as they should be). It's a little loose if you are adjusting it but its securely fastened.

Trojan

Are you using your video card to set your color to 10 bit, or just using the TV settings? I haven't setup my computer for HDR yet because there's so little content but I'll prob need to do this in the next couple months when the shift to HDR starts picking up.

GReeeeN

So what is the best option when connecting up a pc?

- RGB (Full)

or

- 4:2:0

Also I hear people taking about 4:4:4, although I cannot see it in my nvidia control panel. I have specifically purchased a cable to get this setting, although I cannnot enable it. My previous cable kept flashing when I selected full RGB, now it seems fine. Kind of lost of what settings to use....

M_A_C

- RGB (Full)

or

Also I hear people taking about 4:4:4, although I cannot see it in my nvidia control panel. I have specifically purchased a cable to get this setting, although I cannnot enable it. My previous cable kept flashing when I selected full RGB, now it seems fine. Kind of lost of what settings to use....

I could never get 4:4:4 to work either on my 780ti. I know it's not cables because the same cables work fine with the PS4 Pro. 4:2:0 appears to me to be the best tho just from a visual standpoint and the tv says it's UHD with that enabled.

MazeHaze

Banned

- RGB (Full)

or

Put the tv in pc mode to get 444. Make sure your reciever supports 444.

Wollan

Does 30fps games like Uncharted 4 actually transfer in 10bit HDR & 4:4:4 chroma?

The HDMI 2.0 standard is bandwidth capped and drops to 8bit HDR for 4K/60fps/4:4:4chroma (while 30fps should support 10bit HDR). Or are games always using a 60fps channel despite being locked to 30?

VicViper

is 4:4:4 superior to RGB (Full) ?

It's the same thing. ;-)

It's safe to always leave this setting at 'auto' on the PS4 as it will automatically switch to 4:2:0 subsampling for HDR content. As far as I know, there is no refresh rate limitation as both modes support up to 60hz.

M_A_C

It's the same thing. ;-)

It's safe to always leave this setting at 'auto' on the PS4 as it will automatically switch to 4:2:0 subsampling for HDR content. As far as I know, there is no refresh rate limitation as both modes support up to 60hz.

He's talking about PC.

De_Marco

Anyone still having problems with color banding? or maybe exchanged the set because of it?

The picture on my KS9000 (German 8090) looks great when I feed it 4k content (movies and PS4 games), almost no banding at all, even in dark scenes. It´s visible, but I *could* live with that.

However resolutions up to 1080p look really really horrible with that kind of banding. Also HDTV and especially menus like the amazon app launcher or (non 4k) movies that I stream via netflix and amazon, which I do a lot, have terrible banding in dark scenes.

Also last nights Blu Ray "Don´t Breathe" was unwatchable, it was dark most of the time and the banding was unbearable, felt like I was watching an old VHS tape or highly compressed YouTube video. But it also looked great again, when there was a "light source".
I tried every setting and I use the OP settings now on firmware 1154, but can´t get rid of the banding or even minimize it (only with brightness setting to "1") and I am pretty sure it´s the panel/motherboard itself and that no firmware could fix that.

So I really don´t know what to do now and if I go through all the hassle again with Samsung and the shop when I insist on another replacement set (wrote my story here with the first set).
But for 2000€ I can expect a working TV right?

The set is otherwise ok (and great at 4k) with minimal clouding and light bleed, so chances are, that I get a bigger lemon. I also don´t want to be without a TV again for 3 - 4 weeks. :/

large

large

large

4k is almost flawless though.

And here there are...it looks bright because of the lighting, almost no more banding and it´s the same in movies, too. Maybe that´s why I see such a drastic change in picture quality with this firmware.

WPk7qGvl.jpg

rfxvr7Il.jpg

I have this TV and when I use the SMART apps on the TV the picture is amazing, regular TV with an antenna looks great, and PS4 Pro looks flawless. But Xbox One S always has an extremely dark tint with it. I've configured the settings trying to fix this but my only solution is maybe the provided HDMI cable with the Xbox doesn't work that well. I don't know but it doesn't matter if I'm playing Forza Horizon 3, Martian 4k BR, or Halo 5. Dark as all get out. Any help?

Is there anyway to reduce the "ghosting" or motion blurr in games? Clear motion seems to fix a lot of this issue but adds a lot of input lag, enough that even SP games feel bad to play.

Huh, I've never seen that once on my set. There are so many settings, external devices, and other factors. I imagine it could be hard to track down the cause of some of these issues.

However resolutions up to 1080p look really really horrible with that kind of banding. Also HDTV and especially menus like the amazon app launcher or (non 4k) movies that I stream via netflix and amazon, which I do a lot, have terrible banding in dark scenes.

What is your brightness set to on those Amazon shots? It looks high but it could be a trick of the camera. It shouldn't be over 45 (with Gamma 0) . Higher than that and you'll see ugly banding and compression artifacts in dark areas on a lot of content.

But Xbox One S always has an extremely dark tint with it.

What are your Xbox One settings for Color Depth and Color space?

What are your TV's HDMI black level and Dynamic Contrast set to when using the Xbox One?

Is there anyway to reduce the "ghosting" or motion blurr in games?

What games are you referring to? I don't have much of an issue with 60fps games. 30fps or variable games results in a lot of visible "double imaging" of things as you scroll/look around because the screen can't keep up. That's pretty normal with LCDs, as is a little blur on movement such as side-scrollers. I don't find this set any worse than other LCD sets I've tried, though.

What games are you referring to? I don't have much of an issue with 60fps games. 30fps or variable games results in a lot of visible "double imaging" of things as you scroll/look around because the screen can't keep up. That's pretty normal with LCDs, as is a little blur on movement such as side-scrollers. I don't find this set any worse than other LCD sets I've tried, though.

It could be because Ive gone from a 46" to a 65" TV that makes it more noticeable, also the increase in the brightness. Watch Dogs 2 is the first game that comes to mind that is very noticeable to me. It doesnt make the game unplayable but I was just wondering if there was any tinkering I could do to get rid of it or reduce it.

ss_lemonade

Anyone still having problems with color banding? or maybe exchanged the set because of it?

I get the same too with my US ks9000. I even get similar issues too on my Sony w900a so I'm guessing it's the source material (my w900a has a useful setting though called Smooth Gradations that removes such issues. WIsh there was something similar on the Samsung sets)

Is there anyway to reduce the "ghosting" or motion blurr in games? Clear motion seems to fix a lot of this issue but adds a lot of input lag, enough that even SP games feel bad to play.
Have you tried using the LED Clear Motion option? It's supposed to do black frame insertion, which significantly reduces blurring associated with LCD panels at the expense of a drop in brightness (and probably slight image trails) and should work extremely well for 60fps games. From what I read, it works just as intended on the ks8000 sets, but not as well on the ks9000 (which I can verify. Implementation looks broken or off on our sets). Sucky part is you can't use game mode and any of the Auto Motion Plus settings at the same time.

De_Marco

What is your brightness set to on those Amazon shots? It looks high but it could be a trick of the camera. It shouldn't be over 45 (with Gamma 0) . Higher than that and you'll see ugly banding and compression artifacts in dark areas on a lot of content.

It´s the camera.
Brightness is set to 40-45, Backlight 10-12 and Gamma 0 or -1. Only with Brightness set to 1 the banding disappears. :D
What baffles me is that the set before didn´t have this kind of extreme banding, only had it for 2 days, but I would have noticed it with the amazon app.

@georaldc
I had a "handpicked" Sony 55W905 for 2 years and there wasn´t any banding at all. Panel lottery FTW.

Before I watched "Don´t Breathe" I hadn´t had the intention to call Samsung again, because the picture looks really great 90% of the time, but I guess I will try my luck now.

Top Bottom