• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La La Land |OT| Not quite Mia tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.

RusselUp

Great OP!

Saw this a few weeks ago at the Airbnb Open Spotlight - really liked it. Not as much as Whiplash personally but I'm a big fan of old-school musicals and having lived in L.A. for a while, love the movie's interpretation of the modern day city + Chazelle's continuing love for jazz on the big screen.

And right after watching the screening, got a copy of the soundtrack. ^_^

bounchfx

really wish I saw this last night instead of star wars Lol. Gonna see this tomorrow, really excited for it. Love music, love whiplash.

Love this move. I was entranced the whole way through.

The ending
really gave me a 500 days of Summer vibe. This is not exactly a love story. How real life kind of just happens. This one ended on a happier note though.

Its a goddamn love letter to Los Angeles

That's not how I took it.

Theres these two people who are struggling to make in in LA. At the end, you see a different life where good things happen to them; that would be a love letter to LA.

That's quite my tempo, Chazelle made me a believer I'll watching anything he does, even a musical

Chazelle is gonna save Jazz at this rate, heh.

Really, really enjoyed this movie. It's in my top 3 for the year for sure.

I was looking forward to it, but wasn't sure I was feeling it after the opening number. But once Stone and Gosling really got going, I loved every minute of it.

cj_iwakura

Love this move. I was entranced the whole way through.

The ending
really gave me a 500 days of Summer vibe. This is not exactly a love story. How real life kind of just happens. This one ended on a happier note though.
I think 500 Days of Summer had a way happier ending. There was hope for him. Ryan Gosling's character had no one.

shira

I'm making a road trip to buy the soundtrack tomorrow. How complete is it? Music. So. Good.

I haven't seen the movie. . . but the iTunes soundtrack is great. I have no context for what they are talking about, but it's so catchy and easy to sing along.

I can't wait till the karaoke machines are updated with it.
I can also totally see a sing-along movie version like they did with Frozen if it's super popular.

cj_iwakura

I haven't seen the movie. . . but the iTunes soundtrack is great. I have no context for what they are talking about, but it's so catchy and easy to sing along.

I can't wait till the karaoke machines are updated with it.
I can also totally see a sing-along movie version like they did with Frozen if it's super popular.

The theater was sold out, but I was easily the youngest person there. Almost all seniors.

My only problem with the movie is that...

The movie trailer previews before the movie sucked so much. All of them were eye-rolling saccharine type of movies. Blegh.

I wonder if that's what they think are the target audience of La La Land?

cj_iwakura

The movie trailer previews before the movie sucked so much. All of them were eye-rolling saccharine type of movies. Blegh.

They're not wrong. My theater was packed with people who ate that stuff up.

Had like six trailers. The Ben Affleck prohibition flick, the dog reincarnation one, some religious drama...

cj_iwakura

Did anyone else feel some serious parallels to Mulholland Drive? Not as nightmarish, obviously, but the whole dreams VS reality in Hollywood thing.

Also,
For having such a small role, J.K. Simmons left one heck of an impression during his second appearance. That final sequence was really hard to watch.

What really made this film difficult...

Is I thought I had it figured that it would end on a breakup when it went into the four seasons thing. Especially when he hurt her at dinner. Then he came back for her and I thought I was wrong, a happy ending was going to happen... but, nope.

Eidan

Saw it last night. Loved it. The opening number had me hooked. Honestly my only gripe with the movie was that I wanted more songs. I felt like the second half of the movie was largely a standard romantic film with an occasional drop of musical whimsy.

I think 500 Days of Summer had a way happier ending. There was hope for him. Ryan Gosling's character had no one.

JGL was not the hero of that film. He was the villain. The ending is supposed to signify that he learned nothing from his time with Summer.

It's the biggest untapped demographic. Gisele is a fucking genius

Same here. Mostly older folks at the showing my wife and I went to and it too was sold out. Great movie! Felt it started off a little and was a little too on the nose with its musical nature off the bat, but I suppose they had to warm people up and keep things basic as it then got more elaborate with its story telling. Loved the camera shots and editing. Felt as if the director was trying to make the audience dance along with the action going on with the camera movements.

Zalasta

Love the movie, have the songs stuck in my head all day. The only criticism I have is that it seemed very front loaded with the spectacles and the music that the last act felt pale in comparison, so it didn't finish as strong as it started. Regardless, it's definitely a favorite I've seen in a while.

The ending is amazing, so bitter sweet.

I am still processing the movie (in term of how great it is on my all time favorite musical list), but its definitely a great movie from 2016.

Yes there was Groundhog Day for babies, so awful.

Zereta

Caught it with the girlfriend last night. Huge Whiplash fan, was my favorite movie of that year.

This feels like an extension of that, at least to me personally, in the best way possible. I absolutely loved it and straight cried at the end of the movie, and for a while after. 2016's best movie definitely, and a classic in its own right.

Watch it.

cj_iwakura

Caught it with the girlfriend last night. Huge Whiplash fan, was my favorite movie of that year.

This feels like an extension of that, at least to me personally, in the best way possible. I absolutely loved it and straight cried at the end of the movie, and for a while after. 2016's best movie definitely, and a classic in its own right.

Watch it.
Agreed. The director's love for jazz definitely permeates his films.

Jzero

Saw it yesterday, hit too damn close to home. I loved the whistling bit, they should have done more.

_Isaac

Same here. Mostly older folks at the showing my wife and I went to and it too was sold out. Great movie! Felt it started off a little and was a little too on the nose with its musical nature off the bat, but I suppose they had to warm people up and keep things basic as it then got more elaborate with its story telling. Loved the camera shots and editing. Felt as if the director was trying to make the audience dance along with the action going on with the camera movements.
I really enjoyed the beginning chunk of the movie. I actually think the first few songs are amazing. For me, the movie took a bit of a dip during some of the courting stuff, but then it really picked up afterwards.

My showing this past Friday evening had about fifteen people in it. It had a variety of age groups though.

My showing was sold out, which surprised me. Lots of younger and older people. It's my favorite film of the year and I can see it blowing up in the next few months, especially considering it's a lock for Best Picture among tons of other awards.

Caught this on Friday night and loved it, especially since seeing non-animated musicals in theaters is always a pleasant (if rare) surprise.

I loved how it played out, especially with the use of colors, and the music was phenomenal.
I loved the dance sequence in the Griffith Observatory, that was magical.

As far as the ending goes, I do see how it's divided people's opinions, but I wholly enjoyed it. Maybe it's due to seeing my fair share of both slice of life & romantic anime, but I had zero issues with how it played out.

The soundtrack though, been streaming it off Spotify for the past two days, freaking love it. The opening, I adored it completely as part of me wouldn't mind seeing it happen in real life
while stuck in LA traffic

That all said, I still need to watch Whiplash, which has been on my to-watch list.

_Isaac

Oh and one weird thing is that from my crowd of fifteen people like thirteen people stayed all the way through the credits. I've never seen such an "attachment" rate even with Marvel movies. I guess people were really enjoying the music.

shira

I don't think whiplash is required viewing except for the one sorta Easter Egg.

Oh and one weird thing is that from my crowd of fifteen people like thirteen people stayed all the way through the credits. I've never seen such an "attachment" rate even with Marvel movies. I guess people were really enjoying the music.
Way back in the day I think it was respectful to stay till the end. I see it all the time with old people.

What a beautiful film. Just watched it with my brothers this morning. There were about 20 people at my showing, I'd say everyone but us were old people haha, but we saw the first showing of the day so I'm sure the that had something to do with it.

Anyways, I loved the film. That opening song put a big smile on my face and it never faded throughout. That ending
was incredibly bittersweet, but it was perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom