• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La La Land |OT| Not quite Mia tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

What a beautiful film. Just watched it with my brothers this morning. There were about 20 people at my showing, I'd say everyone but us were old people haha, but we saw the first showing of the day so I'm sure the that had something to do with it.

Anyways, I loved the film. That opening song put a big smile on my face and it never faded throughout. That ending
was incredibly bittersweet, but it was perfect

A pattern is emerging

The first 10 or 15 minutes or so made me feel like going to see it had been a mistake, but then the rest of the movie happened and it was AMAZING. Not afraid to say that ending got me teary-eyed.

I legit liked this more than RO.

i haven't seen the film, but listening to the soundtrack was just ok. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling's voices are just serviceable. I'm certain after watching the film and giving context to the songs will give me better appreciation of the material. However they don't do much for me on their own.

RBH

Beautiful film, enjoyed it a lot.

The ending
montage was very touching. I now want to try to play that piano solo.

shira

Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling's voices are just serviceable.

It's an old debate do you get singers to do acting or actors to do singing.
If you want Justin Bieber singing to Lady Gaga of course it's going to sound great but then the acting is shit. There's a few actors that can do both like Emmy Rossum.

Chazelle is making a movie after all.

golem

Oh man that was so good! Really great film. And yes a lot of old folks at the theater but mostly normal people lol. 1:45 showing and completely sold out.

kingocfs

The first 10 or 15 minutes or so made me feel like going to see it had been a mistake, but then the rest of the movie happened and it was AMAZING. Not afraid to say that ending got me teary-eyed.

I legit liked this more than RO.

It did take a while to get going, but once it did...hoo boy.

shira

This'll be wide on Christmas right? That's when I'm planning to see it

Supposedly. The new theater schedules are up on Monday so you can check your area.

I can't even remember the last Sunday open of a major motion picture.

Not

Banned
My showing was sold out, which surprised me. Lots of younger and older people. It's my favorite film of the year and I can see it blowing up in the next few months, especially considering it's a lock for Best Picture among tons of other awards.

Hope not. Another "love letter to Hollywood starring white people" would really hammer home the Academy's self-obsession

Moonlight or Manchester deserves it.

Hope not. Another "love letter to Hollywood starring white people" would really hammer home the Academy's self-obsession

I've yet to see Manchester but I agree that I would love to see Moonlight win since it's a vastly more important film than La La Land. I like the movie because of my taste, but I won't deny Moonlight is incredible and a win for it would be awesome.

It's an old debate do you get singers to do acting or actors to do singing.
If you want Justin Bieber singing to Lady Gaga of course it's going to sound great but then the acting is shit. There's a few actors that can do both like Emmy Rossum.

Chazelle is making a movie after all.

I mean there's a happy medium. There's a whole place of actors that do musical theatre called Broadway. Matter of fact, there's a lot of Hollywood actors that come from musical theatre. I realize the movie is being sold with Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, but that doesn't mean they're exempt from criticism vocally in a film that's a MUSICAL. You're acting as if historically musical films that this film is trying to pay homage to didn't have both great singing and acting.

Caught it yesterday with my girlfriend. Didn't love it as much as Whiplash, but I liked it quite a bit. I hate musicals and yet, I didn't hate this one. I don't think I appreciated it as much as I would have if I enjoyed musicals more, but I could still appreciate the technique and artistry on display.

I feel like it could have been a bit shorter (it takes longer to get going between Stone and Gosling than I think is needed), but that's a minor criticism.

My girlfriend absolutely hated the ending though. Not the structure of it, so much, but
the fact that the lovers don't end up staying together. It really seemed to upset her.
For as indifferent to most of the movie she was, I was really surprised by her reaction.

I don't think this film deserves Best Picture, but I'm happy it's doing well for the director.

shira

Imho it's a lock to be nominated for best original score/best original song.

But even then it's not a guaranteed winner.

Amen. Exactly how I felt. I was rolling my eyes to the moon with that opening musical number. I couldn't believe my girlfriend dragged me to this movie.

But I cried like a baby during the end. Incredible movie.

Do we have to do this? It's not necessary to bring politics in, even then, this ceaseless crying about racism is doing more harm than good.

Yes it stars two white people. Chazelle, however, has a deep love for Jazz and its culture. And, what a surprise, Jazz is is prolific because of black people. At least that's how I interpret it.

tommyguns

Have been anticipating this movie for a while now...Finally saw it this morning. It was everything I hoped. Absolutely fantastic throughout. And that ending...It wrecked me. I cried. Will probably see it again this week

cj_iwakura

Caught it yesterday with my girlfriend. Didn't love it as much as Whiplash, but I liked it quite a bit. I hate musicals and yet, I didn't hate this one. I don't think I appreciated it as much as I would have if I enjoyed musicals more, but I could still appreciate the technique and artistry on display.

I feel like it could have been a bit shorter (it takes longer to get going between Stone and Gosling than I think is needed), but that's a minor criticism.

My girlfriend absolutely hated the ending though. Not the structure of it, so much, but
the fact that the lovers don't end up staying together. It really seemed to upset her.
For as indifferent to most of the movie she was, I was really surprised by her reaction.

I don't think this film deserves Best Picture, but I'm happy it's doing well for the director.
It's a perfectly understandable reaction. The movie had them on the ropes, then brought them back together... and they break up again. It's pretty rough.

Saw it for free today. Great film even though I've never really liked musicals. Washed the disappointing Rogue One taste out of my mouth.

Not

Banned
Do we have to do this? It's not necessary to bring politics in, even then, this ceaseless crying about racism is doing more harm than good.

Your perspective is obviously skewed. But yeah, let's not turn this thread into that.

Yes it stars two white people. Chazelle, however, has a deep love for Jazz and its culture. And, what a surprise, Jazz is is prolific because of black people. At least that's how I interpret it.

Most good and influential American and British music was at least initially appropriated from African-Americans. Musical taste has never been racist, so white people had to take the actual music and pretend they made it.

In the film, a white guy complains that "classic" jazz--an art created and mastered by black people-- is on its way out. There'll probably be white guys in 2060 complaining how hiphop isn't in the top 40 anymore.

_Isaac

Some of you are crazy. The beginning is amazing with the one two punch of "Another Day of Sun" and "Someone in the Crowd"

Halp, I'm addicted to "Another Day of Sun"...

Same. I think that one is more deserving of a nomination than" City of Stars", which is the one likely to get nominated for the Oscar.

I mean there's a happy medium. There's a whole place of actors that do musical theatre called Broadway. Matter of fact, there's a lot of Hollywood actors that come from musical theatre. I realize the movie is being sold with Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, but that doesn't mean they're exempt from criticism vocally in a film that's a MUSICAL. You're acting as if historically musical films that this film is trying to pay homage to didn't have both great singing and acting.

The Broadway actors don't necessarily can act and look natural when the camera is directly in front of their faces. Their craft have a different style.

Ryan Gosling really come on to his own recently. I thought I would have prefered Miles Teller in this smallish movie but Gosling totally convinced me with his performance. I can see him become as big a star as DiCaprio in the future.

As for Emma Stone. I think you can find actresses who sing better such as Amanda Seyfried but Emma Stone is very convincing as a struggling actress. She has a weathered look in her young body.

If you think of this movie as a Jazz romantic story then it's easier to overlook the flaws in the songs.

oipic

Halp, I'm addicted to "Another Day of Sun"...

Me too! The entire soundtrack, actually - its hooks and melodies have been bouncing around my mind for days now. Wonderful stuff.

I haven't seen the film yet (it doesn't open here until Dec 26th), and while I understand to some degree a level of criticism of the singing of the two leads, to me it only makes the songs all the more personable and 'relatable' in some way.

Gosling's range is limited, but that's cool - his pieces fit that - but I think Stone's singing and vocal performance is really quite nice. Her stumbling giggles in the 'City of Stars' duet are delightful and charming, too.

The Broadway actors doesn't necessarily can act and look natural when the camera is directly in front of their face. Their craft have a different style.

Ryan Gosling really come on to his own recently. I thought I would have prefered Miles Teller in this smallish movie but Gosling totally convinced me with his performance. I can see him become as big a star as DiCaprio in the future.

As for Emma Stone. I think you can find actresses who sing better such as Amanda Seyfried but Emma Stone is very convincing as a struggling actress. She has a older look in her young body.

If you think of this movie as a Jazz romantic story the its easier to overlook the flaw in the songs.

You have no idea of the history of Hollywood. There was a time when the biggest Broadway stars became the Hollywood movie stars. I'm dying laughing claiming there's some huge difference in craft. LOL They're acting on stage only they can sing too.

Everything else you're saying you're probably right. I was just critiquing the soundtrack on it's own merits with no context from the movie. As somebody who loves musicals, I'm certain i'll really enjoy La La Land and will appreciate Emma Stone's and Ryan Gosling's performance.

You have no idea of the history of Hollywood. There was a time when the biggest Broadway stars became the Hollywood movie stars. I'm dying laughing claiming there's some huge difference in craft. LOL They're acting on stage only they can sing too.

Everything else you're saying you're probably right. I was just critiquing the soundtrack on it's own merits with no context from the movie. As somebody who loves musicals, I'm certain i'll really enjoy La La Land and will appreciate Emma Stone's and Ryan Gosling's performance.

I am happy you keep bumping this thread up and get this movie more exposure, but go fucking watch the movie.

The songs don't showcase the best parts of the movie.

I am happy you keep bumping this thread up and get this movie more exposure, but go fucking watch the movie.

The songs don't showcase the best parts of the movie.

I never said it did showcase the best parts of the movie. i just made a post critiquing the voices on the soundtrack. That was it. I plan on watching it.

Toa TAK

Banned
Just got out of it. I didn't know anything about this movie beyond Chazelle directing and that I saw the trailer once a few weeks ago seeing something else and that was enough for me to get excited for it.

Totally grabbed me at the opening number. The movie was wonderful and hit close to home with Mia's character wanting to break in while working on WB's lot and being in proximity to film equipment, props, and crew. Hell, even driving through Fair Oak's Ave to see the old theater. Someone should renovate that thing one day...

Been itching for a musical in awhile so I'm really glad I saw this. The theme is going to stay with me for awhile. One aspect of the film was how they handled
their departure from each other to follow their dreams.
Pretty mature and was expecting some really sore drama, but that didn't happen and I was pleased.

This has got to be one of my favorite films of the year (at the moment). I know a lot of people don't care for or are sick of films celebrating Hollywood itself, but, eh, I personally really enjoy them. So keep 'em coming, Academy Award or not.

Really in the mood to rewatch Bringing Up Baby now. Katherine Hepburn <333

Went to watch it with my girlfriend, my best friend, and his girlfriend.

I saw Whiplash a few years ago and showed it to my best friend, who came to realize that it not only was his favorite film of all time, but gave him hope for the power of film as an artistic medium. So I made plans to watch La La Land with him and our partners in theaters and wow.

At the end of the movie my girlfriend was crying and my best friend and I were yelling at each other about how genius this movie is. It's so so so wonderful. The cinematography, directing, acting, music, colors, pacing, it was the stuff movie magic is made out of. It's brilliant. Utterly brilliant. Also that ending wrecked me... I don't even like musicals and yet La La Land is one of my favorite films I've ever seen. It's so good ;;

Another Day of the Sun is amazing and themetically relevant to idea of persistently pursueing your dreams despite life's obstacles and I wont hear any bad things about it

shira

Yo where my Ass Creed OT?
kunk-rum.gif

Helmholtz

I thought this was out this week in Toronto but it looks like not until next week :(
I can't wait to see it. Loved Whiplash and Gosling is one of my favorite working actors.

Toa TAK

Banned
Another Day of the Sun is amazing and themetically relevant to idea of persistently pursueing your dreams despite life's obstacles and I wont hear any bad things about it
I wouldn't worry. There are no bad things about it.

I'm addicted to it, too. Send help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom