• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: How Kate Upton's curves sold a mobile video game (Game of War makes 1M/Day)

johnsmith

remember me
Nintendo, you know what you need to do.

sufdkfl.gif

antitrop

Why is it so hard for people to understand that when you spend money in these competitive games, you're only knocking yourself out of the "scrub" bracket and into the bracket with people who have more money than you do?

Spending money makes these games harder, not easier.

Why are people so stupid? :(

It's not really Upton's "fault" or anything, but it's depressing just how easy this strategy was.

If anything it's sad that her career sunk this low this fast. Modeling is a seriously fickle business...

daxgame

Well, I did see those ADs, Kate is always fantastic.
no clue what the game even is, though. Can't care less.

yatesl

The second video game crash can't come soon enough. Burn it all, my Super Nintendo still works.

Not at all, there's more games for everyone than ever. The way the market has gone, you can ignore mobile freemium games and still have more than possible to play.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Blanket and targeted adverts work?! Someone alert the authorities!

Console videogame pubs truly failed post 16-bit age by really stepping away from aggressive TV marketing. Its no surprise that each time one of them really tried (Wii in particular, Sony when they started trying properly with Kevin Butler), there were grand results.

Sega particularly really fucked up with things like Vanquish. They did great ads for Bayonetta, guess what: it sold! They didn't even let hobbyists know when the fuck Vanquish was out: le bomba.

Juanfp

But OP where are the pics? :)

Ontopic: I really hate to read things like this, all the time we reads game from indies and mayor studios that make good game that don't sell well or don't met the expetation and at the same time we have thia freemium "games" that bring 1 millon per day.

Honestly I thought the name being a rip-off of Game of Thrones was more of a reason for its success than Kate. Sex sells, everyone knows that, but that's why the name was a greasier tactic than the boobs.

jwhit28

Where does all the big videogame publishers advertising budget go if they aren't spending it on TV ads? The only traditional games I've seen on TV as much as Game of War the last couple of months are Bloodborne and The Order.

Where does all the big videogame publishers advertising budget go if they aren't spending it on TV ads? The only traditional games I've seen on TV as much as Game of War the last couple of months are Bloodborne and The Order.

They do a lot of advertising on websites. Especially buying space on Youtube's front page whenever a big game is coming out.

StoneFox

"Advertisements sell game"

Shocking. /s

As disappointing as it is to use a sexy woman to sell a garbage game, it has been proven to work time and again.

Sex sells and water is wet, we've known this for generations.

Can't knock the hustle though that's some serious bread and just imagine with the low barrier to entry for an indie developer or a small team to strike lightning. Your chances are slim, but the relatively low overhead makes it a lot more appealing compared to the alternatives.

antitrop

Honestly I thought the name being a rip-off of Game of Thrones was more of a reason for its success than Kate. Sex sells, everyone knows that, but that's why the name was a greasier tactic than the boobs.

They should have called it Thrones of War, to get both the Game of Thrones audience AND the Gears of War audience.

Abdiel

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-...s=10153288191987164&fb_action_types=og.shares

Main point of the article is to stress that Mobile-game marketing and advertising is only just beginning and that lots more is coming. Doesn't touch upon the marketing campaign itself. But it seems the results are telling, sex sells overwhelmingly yet again.

It is sad though for those of us who see these games making money hand-over-fist which are some pretty crappy games (Sorry, Game of War is bad and boring) where as traditional gaming is struggling to meet ends meat.

I guess I'll never understand the mentality that drives clearly a huge consumer base to drop hundreds if not thousands on in-app purchases rather than fully-developed game experiences in total.

Make ends meat.

ends meat.

Meat.

(I'm sorry - your post is really interesting and poses interesting thoughts on the qualms associated with development and mobile vs. traditional... but that derailed my entire thought process as I imagined a giant grinder)

Web banners, conventions and PewDiePie.

At one company I worked for, they spent about $4m on just PAX Prime one year.

They also gave several popular Youtubers/Streamers anywhere from $10k-$300k for coverage.

Nibiru

Banned
I'm not a fan of this type of games but I have tried many of them and Game of War is among the worst of the bunch imo. To put it bluntly, the game is total shit.

Verger

Banned
Make ends meat.

ends meat.

Meat.

(I'm sorry - your post is really interesting and poses interesting thoughts on the qualms associated with development and mobile vs. traditional... but that derailed my entire thought process as I imagined a giant grinder)
Freudian slip I guess? :p

Dreavus

Game is free though so it's really not selling anything. Once people realize the game is garbage they'll delete it.

That's the thing though: for a vast majority of the cases, they just need to get you to give them that download. If they can do that, it moves them up the most popular list and gets them noticed by more people. Not to mention all the tricks built in to get you to keep playing and/or spend money once the game is on your phone.

I was pretty disgusted with what the actual "game" looks like. Just timers and expiring deals and "limited time offers" as far as the eye can see.

That was the first ad I saw on national tv for a mobile game. Frankly I was shocked they had the marketing budget to advertise like that for what seems like a really shitty run of the mill mobile game.

I don't like to play games on my phone, personally. That's what I have a 3DS for.

yatesl

Game is free though so it's really not selling anything. Once people realize the game is garbage they'll delete it.

I'm not in the US, but how many people watch the Superbowl? If only a fraction of them download the app, and then a fraction of that group buy one IAP... That's a lot of money.

Teeth

Got a relative that tells me video games are a waste of time. He plays games on his iPad for hours. Some people rationalize that phone games are not video games so they feel better about playing them.

And some people rationalize that phone games are not video games to feel better about not playing them.

Top Bottom