• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: How Kate Upton's curves sold a mobile video game (Game of War makes 1M/Day)

entremet

MemorableIcyAntelope.gif

I will be your hero Kate :p

Verlander still hitting dat?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
$1mm a day is a lot of money.

But to keep it in perspective, that's $365MM in revenue in a year. AAA games can do that in a weekend.

And yes, budgets are different... But in is article the publisher spent $80MM on TV over 4-5 months to get that.

AAA games TV campaigns are around $10mm-$20mm. And usually have separate P&L's for some of that money. So, all things relative.

There needs to be a rebalancing and that's exciting as the industry continues to evolve.

But mobile money isn't going to cause core games to go away over night.

Ramune

I was all set to climb up on my high horse over this, and then I remembered I bought Huniepop last night on Steam. So I guess I’ll just keep hypocritical my mouth shut.

But HuniePop was at least up front about what it was. And fun. This on the other hand...boobs were used to make you interested in an game you probably wouldn't have checked out otherwise.

A banner version of this pops up on mobile GAF pretty frequently. I've always found it amusing that it starts at boob level and then slowly pans up to her face.

jrDev

Honestly I thought the name being a rip-off of Game of Thrones was more of a reason for its success than Kate.
This is what I thought of when it was shown...

But to keep it in perspective, that's $365MM in revenue in a year. AAA games can do that in a weekend.

And yes, budgets are different... But in is article the publisher spent $80MM on TV over 4-5 months to get that.

AAA games are around $10mm-$20mm.
So, all things relative.

There needs to be a rebalancing and that's exciting as the industry continues to evolve.

What are you even...what 'AAA' game costs 10-20 million? That is so low and it doesn't even include a marketing budget...

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Who will Nintendo hire for their mobile game tho...

I was just about to say.....Nintendo....take notes with marketing for your next console.

Doesnt have to be big boobs bouncing, but something a lil better than what they did with the Wii U.

Sony ads are usually clever, eye catching, sometimes funny. MS's are somewhat fine too, that Halo 5 one has me very intrigued...

One thing Sony and MS have is signature sounds in theirs..without even seeing the ad, only hearing part of it I know instantly its Sony or MS..Only signature sound I relate to Nintendo is Mario coin collecting sounds....I know the 1 up sound too but the coin collecting sound just sticks out more.

I cant remember the last time I heard a signature Nintendo sound in their ad, if at all.

Nintendo...take notes. From this and Sony.

John Harker

This is what I thought of when it was shown...

What are you even...what 'AAA' game costs 10-20 million? That is so low and it doesn't even include a marketing budget...

Their TV budget.
I'll fix for clarity.

Head.spawn

She's not even that great ffs

+1.

I don't get it. Everytime someone is ogling about her, i'm at a lose for words. Bras work wonders for her, besides that she dances like an awkward 13yo boy and is missing a great deal of curves.

6/10, would meh.

AAA games TV campaigns are around $10mm-$20mm. And usually have separate P&L's for some of that money. So, all things relative.

Aaa games cost between 80-250 million to make.

joecanada

Well she does look very good riding a horse, but the tweets are truly hilarious
"I don't care how big your tits are I'm not playing your stupid game " was the first one, great stuff

I saw the ad for this on TV the other day, over here in Sydney. Kate looked great with her boobs out, plus there was some kind of giant ogre looking monster, so it got my attention and I may have downloaded it, if I was into mobile gaming.
I like seeing hot women in games (or even ads), so if these reports of big earnings encourage other devs to follow suit, I'd be pretty happy about it.

John Harker

Aaa games cost between 80-250 million to make.

$250mm? That is double what the average one costs. You must be citing some serious outlier.

That said, don't sleep on how much money it actually costs to keep mobile games running with that big of an audience. While upfront dev costs are lower its not exactly easier or cheap to keep a game like game of war running year after year

JPS Kai

$250mm? That is double what the average one costs. You must be citing some serious outlier.

That said, don't sleep on how much money it actually costs to keep mobile games running with that big of an audience. While upfront dev costs are lower its not exactly easier or cheap to keep a game like game of war running year after year

I think he's referring to Destiny.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
+1.

I don't get it. Everytime someone is ogling about her, i'm at a lose for words. Bras work wonders for her, besides that she dances like an awkward 13yo boy and is missing a great deal of curves.

6/10, would meh.

I dunno. I think a super hot girl being kind of awkward is somehow more endearing.

Kate's super hot, but what I don't get is, at least based on my understanding of this game, it doesn't have Kate Upton in it, or really any sex or risque material at all, right?

So I get why people love the commercial, I love it too, but then why not go play Dead or Alive instead or just Google image search for Kate Upton pics, instead of playing this game that doesn't actually have anything to do with the commercial?

Kate's super hot, but what I don't get is, at least based on my understanding of this game, it doesn't have Kate Upton in it, or really any sex or risque material at all, right?

So I get why people love the commercial, I love it too, but then why not go play Dead or Alive instead or just Google image search for Kate Upton pics, instead of playing this game that doesn't actually have anything to do with the commercial?

I havent played the game, but it does appear that way from what I've seen of it.
I guess Kate is there to get guys to take a closer look at the game, like I did after I saw the ad.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The fact that these commercials work offends me. At least clash of clans ads actually look like a game. This is unashamedly just hot girl with nothing else.

Why? Why do you fall for this my fellow gender?
Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Verger

Banned

Well that's why it probably will go down in Marketing 101 textbooks as one of the best examples of an ad campaign. The commercial itself features the actual product very little and relies primarily upon, well, Upton's curves, as I doubt anyone really pays attention to the script she is reciting. Yet that alone is enough to entice a great many to download the App, which in turn gets it more visibility on the app store, thus feeding the cycle, and nabbing the "whales" who for some reason seem to be spending 1 Million a Day on this "game" (yes I played it, and I think it bears a dubious distinction for its gameplay)

Again though, this ad campaign cost millions.

fritolay

This game is a similar pattern for me.

Install > Learn Game > Figure out is not much fun > Don't quit in case leveling up makes it more fun, or am I missing something? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Uninstall

Verger

Banned
Unfortunately the reason "mobile gaming" gets a lot of flak is due to games like Game of War succeeding and raking in lots of money despite them being "not fun" at all.

The mentality behind the prevailing game design of mobile games is unfortunately derived by analytics and behavior manipulation. It is almost similar to gambling in a way with how these games thrive on "addiction" to IAP and Event-based purchases.

What you end up with isn't so much a game as it is a bunch of weekly content add-ons to entice their users to buy stuff each week which is where the money comes from.

To their credit, they seem to have done a bang up job in grabbing a market that seems eager to spend hundreds for in-game content.

Akainu

I'm confused by the "curves" in the title or do they mean to say breasts. Admittedly I haven't seen a picture of her in ages.

I'm really in 2 minds about it. Obviously, I look down my nose at this kind of thing, it's crass, base and degrading to women to objectify them like this. Trying to sell anything with nothing more than 'Hey, want to fuck this woman with big tits? Buy our product!' Is just bloody low. Plus, it's a shitty game from every single thing I've seen about it, which just makes the entire thing that much worse.

Conversely...

Sex sells, and I'm not going to tell anyone that using it to make a living is wrong. Sex is great, looking at attractive people is fun, and if that's enough to get your attention and interest you in a product that you'll enjoy, then fair enough, and I don't think anyone who wasn't already an arsehole is going to suddenly become a misogynist because of sexy adverts.

As for the objectification, sure, it's part of a wider problem with the media portraying unrealistic body images at women, but for Kate Upton herself, it's just her career. She's made a killing by being physically attractive to most people, and if she wants to milk her looks for all they're worth while she can, then fair play to her.

Unfortunately the reason "mobile gaming" gets a lot of flak is due to games like Game of War succeeding and raking in lots of money despite them being "not fun" at all.

The mentality behind the prevailing game design of mobile games is unfortunately derived by analytics and behavior manipulation. It is almost similar to gambling in a way with how these games thrive on "addiction" to IAP and Event-based purchases.

What you end up with isn't so much a game as it is a bunch of weekly content add-ons to entice their users to buy stuff each week which is where the money comes from.

To their credit, they seem to have done a bang up job in grabbing a market that seems eager to spend hundreds for in-game content.
The fact that these games make a shitload of money doesn't mean they're the prevalent style of game design of mobile. F2P, yes, but stuff like this, no. F2P doesn't mean a game is automatically a wallet-sucking addiction machine. There are tons of great games that are free to download.

Of course games like Clash of Clan and such are going to permanent fixtures on the Top Grossing chart. It sucks but it's been like that are years now. Does that mean they represent mobile gaming? Does CoD represent all of console and PC gaming when it breaks records?

To be honest Kate Upton sold me on the game, since before her ads I didn't even knew the game existed. Also she can sell me on almost anything, damn what a fine woman.

ocean

Banned
Holy shit...that really works?

do fellas think that if they buy the game Kate Upton will go down on them?
Does marketing work? Hell yes it does. I went into business school a skeptic but came out convinced. You'd be surprised how freakishly specific our knowledge is concerningd what is effective for any given target audience. If you have the money for a marketing budget and high skilled managers designing your campaign, sales will come.

Not

Banned
My grandpa was talking about a game out with tits. He kept saying " do you play the war of titties game?" I had no idea what he was talking about until he showed me the ad for this game. LOL, works on old dudes apparently lol!

Can't believe you got a tag for this post. GAF is remarkable.

Everytime I see this this game's title my subconscious goes,"oh, Gears of W-- no, Game of Thr-- wait..."

hydruxo

This is sad.

My grandpa was talking about a game out with tits. He kept saying " do you play the war of titties game?" I had no idea what he was talking about until he showed me the ad for this game. LOL, works on old dudes apparently lol!

Hahaha amazing

Slayven

I see commericals for this game and boom beach on all channels dt all times of the day. Yet console/pc games only show commercials at 10 pm on a few channels. Mobile is killing it in marketing.

Kinyou

This game is a similar pattern for me.

Install > Learn Game > Figure out is not much fun > Don't quit in case leveling up makes it more fun, or am I missing something? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Uninstall

Always make the player feel like fun is just right around the corner. That's the whole magic to it.

tuxfool

Banned
Pretty much, although I think those are far worse.

Actually, no. It isn't anywhere near the same thing.

For better or for worse, the previous examples are exactly they promote to be. Kate Upton plays little to no bearing whatsoever in the game as such is purely a marketing stunt. Frankly, if they promoted the Game of War as it is, very few people would begin playing it (it looks like ass).

Top Bottom