• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Gaga continues conquest of NeoGaf, "BAD ROMANCE" recreated in LBP

Psyclone

Full respect to the work she's put into it. I completely understand where you're coming from (shinobi). Mainstream needs to be easy to listen to/catchy/something you could dance to, but I find it very hard to sit back and watch grown men/women dancing to this. The way she appears at award ceremonies? Is she trying to make a statement? Does any of this make her any different than our other mainstream pop/RnB artists? As for talent, check this out (Little Tiger or Fiya). Someone like her will never make it, and I've often found myself wondering the reason why, maybe it's because too many people still go out and buy gaga's album/single as soon as it hits shelves, or maybe I'm just completely in the wrong here.

Remember GAF : "Culture is not your friend"

If she had released her songs as an acoustic album, she'd be just as obscure as any other piano artist and nobody in this thread would even think about saying anything negative about her. But because she is one of the few who happens to have no problem with the mainstream sound and getting people to dance (or 'manipulate poor saps' as some of you peeps on your high horse would call it), she "popped up" her songs and got big. Obviously that is going to totally change her audience and who she gets respect from, but it doesn't make her a talentless fool comparible to Miley Cyrus.

And for the record, I don't listen to modern top 40 music typically. My favourite bands are The Beatles and Radiohead. I just don't have a problem with Lady GaGa when I hear her songs. They're catchy and harmless. I think if GAF existed in the 80's you guys would be saying "There is probably people in your town who can sing and dance like Michael Jackson". Am I saying Gaga is the modern equivalent? Not at all. Merely that it takes more than a piano and a voice to do what Gaga has done, and you're totally wrong if you think anyone with those things can get in her position if they work hard enough just like everybody that can hold a tune and do a moonwalk can't be Michael Jackson.

lol sooo cool to hate on Gaga now, yay. This girl is a gift to the music industry. Pure passion and talent going mainstream. But yeah, since I'm cool i dont like her...

vulva

Agalloch said:
Gaf, you have

disappointing to see such a comment from someone named Agalloch. I'd expect someone who (most likely) likes a great atmospheric black metal band being open minded. We have a musician who was invited in to the Juilliard at the age of 11, writes her own music, writes music for other pop performers (britney spears and pussycat dolls) and has managed to create her own image and have fun. It's one thing to say it's not your thing, but Gaga is far from being an objectively bad musician. If you listen carefully to her music, she actually does many creative and slightly avant-garde things in the midst of the pop music.

She's probably the best thing to happen to pop music in a long time, and that's coming from a devoted japanese noise rock fan.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Air Zombie Meat said:
Her hair is an elephant, your argument is invalid.
You know...I was going to poo poo the use of this meme...but her hair is indeed an elephant.

I retract my impending chastising and submit my apologies.

Spydy

Banned
Happy Phantom said:
disappointing to see such a comment from someone named Agalloch. I'd expect someone who (most likely) likes a great atmospheric black metal band being open minded. We have a musician who was invited in to the Juilliard at the age of 11, writes her own music, writes music for other pop performers (britney spears and pussycat dolls) and has managed to create her own image and have fun. It's one thing to say it's not your thing, but Gaga is far from being an objectively bad musician. If you listen carefully to her music, she actually does many creative and slightly avant-garde things in the midst of the pop music.

She's probably the best thing to happen to pop music in a long time, and that's coming from a devoted japanese noise rock fan.

She writes music for the pussycat dolls and Britney because those artists themselves couldn't ever put pen to paper when it comes to writing music. They sing crap and wouldn't notice the difference between a good or bad pop tune. She's musically adept, but her song writing skills are dreadful.

B-Ri

Youtube finally updated the view count, but still says the current count is behind.

However it has received some honors:

#74 - Most Viewed (Today) - Film & Animation - Canada
#54 - Most Viewed (Today) - Film & Animation - New Zealand
#62 - Top Favorited (Today) - Film & Animation
#76 - Top Rated (Today) - Film & Animation

dazzgc said:
The Lady Gaga fandom here is quite trifling, her music really isnt good by any stretch of the imagination.

Dictionary.com said:
Trifling
–adjective
1. of very little importance; trivial; insignificant: a trifling matter.
2. of small value, cost, or amount: a trifling sum.
3. frivolous; shallow; light: trifling conversation.
4. mean; worthless.

???

Mr. Wonderful said:
Lady Gaga would make a fantastic video game villain. Maybe that's why we love her.

b4u5qg.gif

You're thinking... Gaga O. Koopa?

Sydle

Great job.

In celebration of your work and how amazing she is, I'm going to go listen to The Fame Monster. So good....

I love Gaga because she brings out all the music snobs from their dark, smelly basements. They are fun to laugh at.

[lol at dark, smelly GAF]

Larson Conway said:
lol sooo cool to hate on Gaga now, yay. This girl is a gift to the music industry. Pure passion and talent going mainstream. But yeah, since I'm cool i dont like her...

Or maybe some of us genuinely don't like her and/or her music. Seriously, it's not just "the haters" who are on a fucking high horse here.

Manaka

She should make a video with David Bowie- this would probably end in thousands of new ideas for videogame character designs :lol

B-Ri

I tweeted the video to a local TV news achor who does a segment where she shows off a fun video or site she runs into online.

mariasearth

@B_Ri That is so cool!!! I'll pass it on to our producer.

lets see if i can get this on the local news!

I love how none of the music snobs have come out and said what is actually good. I bet they just hide in a closet and listen to Lady Gaga. :lol

Zaptruder

Banned
Do any of the haters even enjoy pop? Because I get the feeling that they're quite happy to dismiss the mainstream genre out of hand, not because they have some kind of deeper insight into music... but simply out of a seething jealousy that their chosen genre (probably punk or metal) isn't quite as commercially viable.

I'm sorry, but Lady Gaga is pure disposable trash that's going to be forgotten in five years, probably less.

She's McDonalds. She's a NYC girl plucked from obscurity, given an 'image' by a team of producers and PR people, packaged, and shit out into the world.

B-Ri

SirButterstick said:
I'm sorry, but Lady Gaga is pure disposable trash that's going to be forgotten in five years, probably less.

She's McDonalds. She's a NYC girl plucked from obscurity, given an 'image' by a team of producers and PR people, packaged, and shit out into the world.

you clearly have no idea about her and her career

SirButterstick said:

She's McDonalds. .

A part of modern culture that's impossible to ignore - recognised all over the globe you mean?

I wholly agree with you.

The thread title is troll bait. I'm not a Lady Gaga fan (I don't get the appeal either) but I can appreciate a good effort. I watched the original Bad Romance video once. The LBP remake was cute, I liked it. Thank you OP for posting.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Rez said:
it takes talent to analyze a marketplace and write and present accordingly to become successful without sacrificing musical or personal credibility, and individuality.

What's talent in regards of music got to do with analyzing a marketplace? It seems like you hear people acknowleding someone being smart because they're successful while doing something that stands out, chalking it up to some cynical view of knowing the audience/market even before they've set the ship out at sea while they in reality might have worked at their thing for years. I'm not commenting on your post exclusively, so don't get me wrong. But it feels like I've read that sentiment being repeated quite often, and while certainely true in some cases -- especially when it comes to pop stars or bands created by big labels -- I'm not that fond of it being applied onto everything.

Yeah, she's talented. Not because she supposedly "knows the market" or anything though, but because her "mainstream pop" has managed to get a identity of its own with well presented videos and live performances along with the catchy songs.

Top Bottom