• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft can't swim in the reboot? The hell? + Regen health - 12/15 hr SP

Shinta

Banned
Yeah, so glad they ditched it and just made a cover shooter instead.

I haven't even seen her get guns yet. Is it a cover shooter? I saw her sneak behind some rocks to run away, but I haven't seen her do any cover shooting yet.

Both the artwork for the early concepts, and the final game they made seem to focus on using a bow. The gameplay would likely have been very similar.

I get the survival angle they're going for and I would be all for it, had they not included regenerating health. This is going to be my first Tomb Raider game, oddly enough, so I'm not as outraged as some people here are.

Swimming? Not too big a loss.

Not being able to swan dive from something really high you just spent an hour climbing? Sorry but that isn't a tomb raider game.

Bladenic

Yes and before that concept art and details were released when it was originally going to be a very different project. It was originally about lara marooned on a Japenese island that she could explore. The island was inhabitad by strange creatures from japenese folklore. It was open world with metroidvania elements and it would have had a survival horror slant.

tombraider_leak.jpg

tombraider1ggbi.jpg

Then somewhere along the way they decided to just make an uncharted clone

HOLY SHIT I never knew of this. This sounds ten times more interesting, whyyyyyy :(

What's the point of hunting and scavenging if Lara can magically regenerate all her injuries.

Except those used as a plot device in order to impair your movement to piss you off

bluemax

Banned
Regenerating health? The hell was the point of adding hunting and gathering if you were only going to use it to not heal your wounds?

Why didn't they take the MGS3 model of survival and just amp it up to 11?!

The game design basically wrote itself from the original trailer and concept!

BAH!

Because that was one of the most horribly unfun game mechanics of all time.

Shinta

Banned

Thanks, I guess I forgot that one. Looks pretty awesome. Yeah, I guess there's some cover shooting. But it looked like the cover got destroyed almost instantly in a lot of cases. And since she was using a bow against multiple people with machine guns, she had to use the environment to get an advantage such as shooting the lamp, or the barrels.

I don't think she'll be fighting dozens of armed guys in a fortified position very often. Looks like it's kind of a turning point in the story.

And again, she was using the bow almost the whole time, which looks like the artwork in the early concepts to me. I don't see what's so different. The game still has survival elements, only now the enemy is just other people instead of monsters.

Looks good so far. Way better than most of the recent Tomb Raider games. I'd like more exploration, so maybe they can get into that kind of thing more if they get to a sequel. After all, by the end of this story she'd probably be the old Laura that most remember, with the mansion and focus on tombs, etc. I don't get why everyone's bitching so much about the tiniest things before they've even tried it.

ASIS

Meh, I know I might be the odd one out but I generally love swimming in videogames. The controls suck but everything else is awesome.

UrbanRats

So the entire game is Lara being beat to shit?

Sure.
See, deconstruction through the attack of ones' identity, is the first stage of brainwashing.
If they want to rebuild Lara, they first have to destroy her.

Thanks, I guess I forgot that one. Looks pretty awesome. Yeah, I guess there's some cover shooting. But it looked like the cover got destroyed almost instantly in a lot of cases. And since she was using a bow against multiple people with machine guns, she had to use the environment to get an advantage such as shooting the lamp, or the barrels.

I don't think she'll be fighting dozens of armed guys in a fortified position very often. Looks like it's kind of a turning point in the story.

And again, she was using the bow almost the whole time, which looks like the artwork in the early concepts to me. I don't see what's so different. The game still has survival elements, only now the enemy is just other people instead of monsters.

Looks good so far. Way better than most of the recent Tomb Raider games. I'd like more exploration, so maybe they can get into that kind of thing more if they get to a sequel. After all, by the end of this she'd probably be the old Laura that most remember, with the mansion and focus on tombs, etc. I don't get why everyone's bitching so much about the tiniest things before they've even tried it.

That video + heavier emphasis on story + no swimming + 12 hours campaign(which means 8 hours campaign), makes for a worrysome picture, if you're a Tomb Raider fan.
Ofcourse, it may end up being a decent to good game in its own right, just not a Tomb Raider.

From since i can remember, all the fans asked from the franchise was: Less guns/combat, more exploration.
This is, literally, the opposite of that.

stupei

I don't know how they manage to make this game sound even less appealing to me, but they do it every single time.

It takes place on an island. Why do you want her to swim? Are you going to swim out to the sea for miles and miles until you die? I don't see the point.

Ranger X

Well, am actually scared of that game now.

I REALLY fear now that they will reboot this thing changing Lara completely and that she will become some stupid frail women in need of protection. The worse you can do about a female hero and basically what killed Metroid Other M from being anything resembling a good game. Can't swim? come the fuck on. I hope a man will teach her at some point during the game heh? lol

Seriously, I am prepared to anything now. 2012 wow. Maybe the end of world should come afterall. lol

Foffy

Banned

I REALLY fear now that they will reboot this thing changing Lara completely and that she will become some stupid frail women in need of protection. The worse you can do about a female hero and basically what killed Metroid Other M from being anything resembling a good game. Can't swim? come the fuck on. I hope a man will teach her at some point during the game heh? lol

Seriously, I am prepared to anything now. 2012 wow. Maybe the end of world should come afterall. lol

But Bayonetta 2...

But has it ever been enjoyable? Swimming pretty much always sucks in games. They never get the controls right, and it turns into a chore.

I'm looking forward to this. Hope it turns out well. February right? Unfortunately for Tomb Raider February already belongs to another game for me... Guess I'll be waiting until it drops in price.
Uncharted 3 had some pretty awesome swimming segments

Sojgat

Health regen doesn't surprise me, but Lara Croft not swimming in a Tomb Raider game is just fucking dumb. Up next a new Soul Reaver game where Raziel can't phase-shift.

UrbanRats

It takes place on an island. Why do you want her to swim? Are you going to swim out to the sea for miles and miles until you die? I don't see the point.

Are you serious? The past TR could've taken place on an siland and you would've had to swim all the same.
artificial pools in tombs, underground rivers, actual rivers etc etc..

Connecting the dots between her not being able to swim and her being a weaker female character seems to me like reaching at straws.

Shinta

Banned
I REALLY fear now that they will reboot this thing changing Lara completely and that she will become some stupid frail women in need of protection.

She just massacred a half dozen armed guys in the video linked a few posts back, stabbing one in the throat pretty brutally.

"stupid frail woman in need of protection." I don't see it.
That video + heavier emphasis on story + no swimming + 12 hours campaign(which means 8 hours campaign), makes for a worrysome picture, if you're a Tomb Raider fan.
Ofcourse, it may end up being a decent to good game in its own right, just not a Tomb Raider.

From since i can remember, all the fans asked from the franchise was: Less guns/combat, more exploration.
This is, literally, the opposite of that.
I'd like more exploration too. But most of the posters here are ignoring everything that looks amazing about this game, and focusing on only the bad. We don't really know how much exploration the game has yet, and we don't really know what the puzzles will be like.

And there is no Tomb Raider fan consensus that said less combat is what everyone wants. So far this Tomb Raider has generated more interest than the last couple combined. All I'm saying is that people should keep an open mind, think of the series long term and what they could accomplish in future games, and maybe try it or read a review before completely making up their mind.

People are just trying to tear this game down for sport now after a string of over-inflated bad publicity. A lot of it is just irrational mob hatred and bandwagoning. Tomb Raider was hardly a sacred series before this game.

Ranger X

She just massacred a half dozen armed guys in the video linked a few posts back, stabbing one in the throat pretty brutally.

"stupid frail woman in need of protection." I don't see it.

If that's the feeling the game can give thought its story it could ruin it. I mean, Samus is doing a bunch of cool things but it didn't prevent me from feeling she was a little emotional girl in Other M. I just don't want them to ruin Lara, I don't fear much for the gameplay in itself.

This thread has reminded me how much I loved the TR Legend trilogy. Really solid platforming mechanics and huge, sprawling levels. Legend comes from the early days of QTEs, so it doesn't hold up so well, but I played Underworld again recently and it's still glorious. At one point Lara shows up in South America, says some things to her radio pals, and then the game just leaves you to it. You're in a gigantic level with multiple tombs separated by motorcyle paths, and you just ride around slowly working everything out. Over the next three hours or so you solve a bunch of puzzles, open a huge door to another tomb, bring the bike down with you and actually use it to solve yet more puzzles. No cutscenes, no run-towards-the-camera setpieces, just a bunch of awesome Tomb Raider goodness.

BUT WHO NEEDS THAT WHEN YOU CAN PARACHUTE THROUGH A FOREST AND TEAR UP LARA'S FACE ON JAGGED BRANCHES, PUSSY? PRE-ORDER NOW FOR EXCLUSIVE AZTEC WEAPONS PACK AND SEASON PASS DISCOUNT!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

???

You do know that many islands have inland bodies of water correct? Or do you just see them as solid land?

Shinta

Banned
???

You do know that many islands have inland bodies of water correct? Or do you just see them as solid land?

Every type of land has inland bodies of water. People were implying that because its an island, OF COURSE she would swim. The only distinguishing factor in an island is that its surrounded by water. So he was right in pointing out that its mostly pointless to swim in the ocean surrounding an island.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Every type of land has inland bodies of water. People were implying that because its an island, OF COURSE she would swim. The only distinguishing factor in an island is that its surrounded by water. So he was right in pointing out that its mostly pointless to swim in the ocean surrounding an island.

It seemed from his posts that he didn't think people would want to swim in lakes and rivers, just swim out to sea.

dreamfall

That's pretty disappointing. I'm not entirely sure why they wouldn't allow Lara to swim, but I want to stay positive about this game.

grumpy

Man, I can't wait to get my hands on this game and protect the shit out of Lara...
Once it hits €9.99...
~ 2 - 3 weeks maybe?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Swimming was the worst part of Tomb Raider. Next you guys will get mad over a new Soul Reaver with no swimming. Fuck swimming.

Gotta say, I think this game looks great. People seem awful rubbed up the wrong way by it/things the devs have said and so on, but all the game play has looked great, and Crystal D have usually made great games bar Underworld (thought that was a good bit undercooked). SE seem to have had a good handle on their western studios since they bought Eidos too. I don't know, this seems like a game to be excited for, not lament. To each their own though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
you couldn't swim in Red Dead too. No one cared.

But I had fun reading this thread.

XenoRaven

No but I could shoot guns and ride horses. You know things cowboys do.

I wasn't on board with a lot of the negative attention this game got on GAF, but I've gotten burned so many times this year on big hyped up games that I think I'm just going to wait for reviews or impressions from a friend at this point. I'm just tired of being disappointed and this doesn't really sound like the direction I was hoping things would go.

diamount

Banned
Sounds like it's going to be a linear as hell, crammed with setpieces. They have so much potential with a bloody island in terms of exploration, why waste that?

Tash

The more I read about it the less I like it.
Following the marketing for this it seems they don't know where to take this and change design and ideas on the fly instead of having a clear vision for the game.

The whole "you need to protect her" drama and how they dealt with it and what news and information came out after that was like a train wreck. Information about the game just doesn't feel connected and doesn't give me a good idea of what their vision is with the game.

stupei

You could swim in Assassin's Creed 2 and could not in the first Assassin's Creed. Both had multiple bodies of water -- unlike, say, a game about cowboys.

And people cared!

Top Bottom