• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last day for the Smash Ballot votes!

DedValve

Banned
The 1 true king. It is known. (click for accuracy)

latest

EDIT: Curse you default size settings! You cannot handle the power of this ridley!

Sponge

Banned
Yup, you're right.
It even was the same way with Snake in SSBB.
For those who didn't play the game he was basically a reminder that MGS4 was about to get released. It even had the Love Theme of MGS4 as a song in it. There has been no Metal Gear related game on a Nintendo console or handheld since Twin Snakes on the Gamecube and MGS3D was still far away at that point.

Characters in Smash are chosen not (only) because of their license holder, but (also) because of their suitability in the game.

The biggest difference between Banjo, Snake, and Ryu is that while Metal Gear, and Street Fighter have exclusives titles on platforms, their series are not. Street Fighter V may be exclusive but spinoffs and potential other games can show up elsewhere. Banjo is stuck with Microsoft. Phil Spencer may be okay with Banjo getting in Smash, but Microsoft and Nintendo have had some disagreements in the past (Goldeneye port). Everyone should vote for who they want to but I just don't see Banjo happening. Maybe Yooka-Laylee if DLC continues in 2016. Nintendo is already doing stuff with Playtonic (Mario Maker levels).

I voted batman.

Yes, batman. Think about how awesome that would be. All the moves he would have. I know he's not a popular pick but I can dream, Harold.

I'd cry tears of joy. If Batman can cross over with Scooby Doo, he can cross over with anything.

jwillenn

I'm going to be the only one that voted for James Bond as the exception to the "didn't start in videogames" rule, aren't I? And my reason was exactly that it is an exception that needs to be made. Goldeneye 007 64 was a big deal in Nintendo's history.

I dropped just one vote in this thing since it started up, with any character choice at my fingertips I went and made the exciting choice of a character who should really just be in the base game anyway, arguably as far back as Brawl at that.
Where the heck is Dixie Kong?!
DQ7gW.png

Like ideally this would be the time for me to throw in third party candidates like Simon Belmont, Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton.
Or Nintendo characters with what I'd assume to have pretty much no hope otherwise like Wonder Red or Dillon.
But I'm still trying to get a third dang DK rep in here.

Lutherian

I know it'll never happen but darn, I'd love to see these guys :

- Ark from Terranigma.
- Bren Mc Guire from Turrican.

Both are from my most beloved games and both would be interresting (well, I think) to play. Espcially Bren in the Turrican Assault Suit (but from witch Turrican ?). His Final Smash would be the super attack from Turrican II where he transforms into the spike ball and shoot everywhere in the screen (hold fire to use the surround beam and press the fire lines button : surprise !). Would love to see a CG presentation with him and Samus fighting against each other then teamup to fight Ridley and Morgul.

In a perfect world, Retro Studio would have bought Factor 5 US and DE and a Turrican X Metroid cross over would have been released on Wii U, so the world might be mended.

Bluth54

I voted batman.

Yes, batman. Think about how awesome that would be. All the moves he would have. I know he's not a popular pick but I can dream, Harold.

I once made the mistake of seriously suggesting Batman for Smash and that didn't end well.

Azuran

Banned
I voted for Sora and I don't regret it one bit. I want to hurl Keyblades in Smash no matter how salty some of you may get.

Clefargle

You guys can have whoever you like after Snake makes it back. I won't complain about banjo kazooie or goku, or fucking batman, just give us a complete 3rd party roster. Cmon

Jawmuncher

You guys can have whoever you like after Snake makes it back. I won't complain about banjo kazooie or goku, or fucking batman, just give us a complete 3rd party roster. Cmon
I'm in the same boat. If snake had already been in or gets in. I could care less whoever else makes it in.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
As much as I want this, it just feels unrealistic for some reason. Will vote for him again though. At least he has a better chance than Ridley.

Well, I think it's unrealistic right now because of limitation so I don't want half baked moveset for Wonder Red. He could have like 4 partners following him; Blue, Green, Pink and Yellow. (Toss White and Black in would be awesome ). If they had to downsize and turn Pikmin into sprite-ish for 3DS, then I fear what they would do to Wonder Red. Save him for Smash Bros Nx might be for best to reach full potential for Wonder Red.

Do not want Blunder Red.

Zalman

Isaac is my primary choice, mainly because we need more modern Nintendo franchises represented. There are quite a few post-2000 IPs that don't have a character yet.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I voted for Sami. The Wars series has a dozen goddamn installments. That they don't have a rep yet while a one-off like Duck Hunt gets one, while Kid Icarus has fuckin' three character slots? It's absurd and unjust.

We can have three outcomes.

3 Nintendo characters like Another FE character,Rythm Heaven guys,Ice Climbers

Nintendo and 3 Party: Bayonetta,Wonderful101

Or they go balls deep and we get glorious Banjo Kazooi,Goku and Snake.

But i bet my ass that they will manipulate this vote like they did with the last one where "everyone" asked for Dark Pit.

Loona

No love for Ryu Hazuki? Come on GAF, I need this^^

If recent rumrs are correct he's already in Project X Zone 2, which is a better fit for a more realistic-looking character - Smash is best left for those who're a bit more cartoony.

It's an extremely long shot, but my vote still goes to classic Athena - even if it's only 1 vote, it's better than no votes for her:

fcad1.jpg

We can have three outcomes.

3 Nintendo characters like Another FE character,Rythm Heaven guys,Ice Climbers

Nintendo and 3 Party: Bayonetta,Wonderful101

Or they go balls deep and we get glorious Banjo Kazooi,Goku and Snake.

But i bet my ass that they will manipulate this vote like they did with the last one where "everyone" asked for Dark Pit.

Dark Pit didn't make it into the game by a poll. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Dark Pit didn't make it into the game by a poll. I have no idea what you are talking about.

This was a survey on what characters players wanted to see in the next smash (the one that is out now). Sakurai even tweeted that pic. So im sure that he got added because japanese people wanted him and he was easy to make. But somehow i doubt he was really that popular.

Bluth54

Nope, someone made it right after Toon Link got revealed and huge discussion about Batman bejng playable in Smash Hype thread.
Ironically if Batman were in Smash his moveset would probably be similar to Link's moveset. He has a grappling hook that would be similar to the hook shot, batarangs thar would probably be similar to the boomerang, explosives that would probably be similar to bombs. He might actually be too similar to Link.

This was a survey on what characters players wanted to see in the next smash (the one that is out now). Sakurai even tweeted that pic. So im sure that he got added because japanese people wanted him and he was easy to make. But somehow i doubt he was really that popular.

I'm pretty sure this poll had nothing to do with smash

JCX

I love all of you guys. There isn't a single suggestion there that I don't feel wouldn't be great. :3

... except for that one.

You can't deny this greatness from Smash

8Eyb2Se.png

My real 3 would be

Fighting Polygon Team (a true Mokujin/Charade type character, first Smash originating from Smash)
Isaac - handhelds need more love, has great moveset potential, could be a Robin clone.
Wonder Red - This is his moment. He'll be too irrelevant by next Smash (like how Geno is too dated now)

Isaac is my primary choice, mainly because we need more modern Nintendo franchises represented. There are quite a few post-2000 IPs that don't have a character yet.

The problem is, there's not that many noteworthy post-2000 IPs left to include. There's Rhythm Heaven and Splatoon, but that's kind of it as far as feasible characters for Smash are. We already have a lot of the important ones, such as Animal Crossing, Pikmin, and Wii Fit.

I know there's Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Wonderful 101, Starfy, etc but it would appear that Sakurai isn't super huge on giving those types of series playable characters (assist trophies on the other hand...). Whenever there's a second party developed franchise with playable fighters in Smash, it tends to be a huge deal for Nintendo, like Kirby or Pokemon, two of their most popular franchises. Something like Wonderful 101 or Sin & Punishment just doesn't quite compare.

But anyways, I definitely expect (and hope!) for Wolf to be one of the slots. I really hope the Shovel Knight rumor isn't true, but if it is, I won't be that angry, just kinda disappointed. Same thing with Professor Layton.

Gartooth

Every time Banjo-Kazooie gets brought up as a pick for ballot submissions these threads get semi-derailed into a circular conversation that has already happened 100 times beforehand.

Its annoying that people just can't let others be and vote for the character they want in this glorified popularity poll without giving them a reminder that they "wasted their votes". Who am I to say this though, I didnt pick up on Sakurai's secret character selection algorithm.  

Kicko

I must add that I'm down with Viridi getting in. There needs to be more love for female characters Gaf!

DrArchon

So, assuming that the ballot actually leads to new characters. how long do you think it will take for them to get made? Spring '16 seems like a safe bet, but I'm not sure how long it will take them to count up the votes and choose from them the ones they think can work/fit.

Top Bottom