• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Epoch Launch Trailer

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Hey, look, it's another small indie company absolutely clowning on Blizzard's D4 with a much more interesting game design - with actual mechanics and build diversity!

This is a positive indeed ;)
This is one of the best games in the genre. I'm guessing you've never even heard of it.

You'd be right, never heard of it, not that it'd make a difference since i stopped playing these type of OCD games after Diablo2/Dungeon Siege/Titan quest and Torchlight.

I could explain why i dislike these type of games but A) i'd need to type about 10 paragraphs and B) no one would obviously give a shit.

Personal opinion : isometric ARPGs are some of the laziest type of games in existence, click, click, click,click x 1000000, get loot, watch huge screen flash on your char. when lvl'ing up, repeat ad infinitum, it's sleep inducing tripe (D3 literally made me sleepy).

It's my personal opinion obviously man, no need to take anything personal.

Cheers

drotahorror

This is a positive indeed ;)

You'd be right, never heard of it, not that it'd make a difference since i stopped playing these type of OCD games after Diablo2/Dungeon Siege/Titan quest and Torchlight.

I could explain why i dislike these type of games but A) i'd need to type about 10 paragraphs and B) no one would obviously give a shit.

Personal opinion : isometric ARPGs are some of the laziest type of games in existence, click, click, click,click x 1000000, get loot, watch huge screen flash on your char. when lvl'ing up, repeat ad infinitum, it's sleep inducing tripe (D3 literally made me sleepy).

It's my personal opinion obviously man, no need to take anything personal.

Cheers

So you managed to make the first post in a thread regarding a game's launch trailer, negative from the get go, in a genre you know you don't like at all. That's just a driveby shitpost. I personally don't waste my time in threads about games/genres I don't have interest in.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
So you managed to make the first post in a thread regarding a game's launch trailer, negative from the get go, in a genre you know you don't like at all. That's just a driveby shitpost. I personally don't waste my time in threads about games/genres I don't have interest in.

C'mon man, seriously ?
I saw the topic, didn't know the game, watched the video and... got disappointed since - again - i'm no fan of iso ARPGs, better now ? ;)

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Ignoring the drive by troll ….

This game is fantastic. Combat, builds, visuals , and end game is aces.

I doubt it’ll be fixed by launch but heads up to those expecting it to be D4 or PoE polished it :

- Doesn’t have fully voiced dialogue or character art for everyone you talk to

- Many armors I would get would have a unique art in inventory but you’d put it on and go “oh this is just armor X I’ve worn before”

It may be 1.0 launch but the game will likely launch still in beta for many things—but the things that matter that D4 lacks, are all here to lose hundreds of hours.

Reactions: Isa

Filben

I've been watching a German YouTuber from time to time who's very critical – and elaborate about it – of Diablo IV, and Last Epoch was one of his alternatives he mentioned. Then I realised it was that game I had on my Wishlist for YEARS and removed it because I thought it's another one of those feature-creep EA games that rely on EA as a business model for the company's entire life cycle and it will never see the light of day. Seeing it has a 1.0 date now makes me happy, even if I'm not a huge isometric ARPG fan.

Hot5pur

Game definitely has scope creep. They redid entire chapters with better visuals, for one. Apparently multiplayer is still half baked. It seems the new trailer has better lighting and graphically looks pretty good. Animation is not on D4 level but that's ok.

One thing about D4 is that for some reason it didn't hold my interest beyond the campaign. As you gear up the build can be easily broken if you need an aspect that you can't reslot anymore. It made things feels restrictive.

Also the world of D4 felt like it had no soul. Areas were samey looking drab wastelands. Story wasn't bad but mostly only got good towards the end.

Ozzie666

It's a pity Lost Ark had so many mobile mechanics and microstransactions, the game it self was pretty good.

Okay how does this game to compare to Lost Ark or even just Diablo Immortal, which I thought was at it's core, better then D4.

Rickyiez

C'mon man, seriously ?
I saw the topic, didn't know the game, watched the video and... got disappointed since - again - i'm no fan of iso ARPGs, better now ? ;)
OP clearly said that this is an ARPG like Diablo before linking the video
Couldn't find any existing last epoch threads, this might be a good game to put on your radar if you like ARPGs like Diablo.
Had you read that , and you yourself said you're not a fans of this genre , why bother watching the video and even reply in this thread ? The answer is you never read :messenger_winking:

Bulletzen72

Looking forward to this. I remember playing the alpha demo and played in on and off in the proceeding years that it was in early access. It blows the mediocre shite that was Diablo IV out of the water. It has it's problems - graphics, performance issues with the engine and the story is shite, but the systems in place are great. It's the perfect middle ground to the simplicity of Diablo 4 and the mind numbing complexity of Path of Exile. Hopefully they can iron out the problems and I hope it does well!

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I only heard this game recently because of how absurdly terrible D4 was and a guy just mention the game and PoE. I was like, never heard of it.
It honestly catch my attention. Gonna keep my eye on it.

Freeman76

Addictive as fuck this game, plenty of loot to chase and it has some well thought out systems. As much as I loved D4 this game puts it to shame and I hope the hundreds of Blizzard devs involved will play this and feel embarrassed

• Fire
Reactions: Pop

WitchHunter

Banned
Couldn't find any existing last epoch threads, this might be a good game to put on your radar if you like ARPGs like Diablo. It's releasing in about a month after being in early access for a long ass time.

When will they understand that overusing these effects make it like an everyday thing, like boiling an egg. These should be rare things to behold. Fucking Diablo 3 ruined itself and everyone copies it and the ridiculously shit PoE.

april6e

I'm really excited about this one. Looks like it has potential to be the next Grim Dawn. It'll help ease the wait since lord knows when the next big Diablo 4 expansion or POE 2 will come out.

Last edited:

nikos

Game looks great. I'd have already bought it if it had WASD movement.

I may grab it if controller support is good but I generally don't like playing games with a controller.

GymWolf

Precanned death animations with no ragdoll in 2024 is a big nono in a game like this.

D4 can have all the problems of this world but combat feels way punchier than what i'm seeing here.

amigastar

Precanned death animations with no ragdoll in 2024 is a big nono in a game like this.

D4 can have all the problems of this world but combat feels way punchier than what i'm seeing here.
I haven't played the game but from videos i've seen there is ragdoll, no?

Hot5pur

It looks good RPG wise but art direction and animation wise it's....meh against things like Diablo or Wolcen.
If the reviews are good I will definitely grab it. Online needs to be half stable too. Hopefully it alleviates the Helldiver's 2 thirst.
I can see this doing 200k easy within a day or two.

Pakoe

Skipped Diablo 4 for either this or PoE2.
Launch trailer looks really good.
Holy shit the technical trailer is insane.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I bought the game and will try it out soon with a friend who is interested in trying the game but for me at least the game already gets 1 point off regardless of how the game end ups being because they have gendered locked classes and that's something I really hate. I know they aren't exactly a AAA studio and can't get everything done at once but this is one aspect of the game I really hate and it's usually done by Korean developers so it was surprising to see this being done by a US developer.

Top Bottom