• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Epoch Launch Trailer

Bulletzen72

I hope this completely puts Diablo 4 to shame. We need a game like this.
It does put D4 to shame in regards to the systems it has in place and the build diversity and theory crafting that the player can do. But it should be noted that the story in Last Epoch is kind of shit, and incomplete with release of 1.0. Now I don't usually play ARPG's for the story, but some people do, so I felt that it should be noted.

Last edited:

Tomeru

It does put D4 to shame in regards to the systems it has in place and the build diversity and theory crafting that the player can do. But it should be noted that the story in Last Epoch is kind of shit, and incomplete with release of 1.0. Now I don't usually play ARPG's for the story, but some people do, so I felt that it should be noted.
I don't know if youve seen this, but you (everyone interested in LE) should. The levels of shame it puts out are hyuge

Bulletzen72

I don't know if youve seen this, but you (everyone interested in LE) should. The levels of shame it puts out are hyuge

Yep! I think I mentioned it earlier in the forum, but I played the Pre-Alpha and supported the title on Kickstarter and have played the game off and on since it was in early access in Steam (just 137 hours). I hope it goes really well for them.

foamdino

It looks good RPG wise but art direction and animation wise it's....meh against things like Diablo or Wolcen.
If the reviews are good I will definitely grab it. Online needs to be half stable too. Hopefully it alleviates the Helldiver's 2 thirst.
I can see this doing 200k easy within a day or two.
You're in luck as there's a full offline mode

Hot5pur

Not too many reviews out there. Will wait a bit.
Mostly put off by how cluttered things seem with the enemies being a bit on the random side. Also the animations/combat.
I got it once already during the EA period about a year ago but I didn't feel all that good...
It's already at 150k players so seems very promising.

GHG

Servers getting hammered right now so if you're looking to play with an online character it's a bit of a no-go right now.

Big shame. Will try again tomorrow.

Hot5pur

Game is getting hammered in reviews.
I did get to play offline and I was surprised at how good it was. .
My biggest gripe before was the action not feeling good, and it's much better now.
Also the game is colorful and the enemies are very varied and interesting.
Reminds me a bit of Torchlight 2, but with a lot more depth.
Comparing to Diablo 4, the animation/sound/design isn't as good. However, D4 has kinda sucky enemy variety, everything is drab, loot is just not that fun, and things that should be in skill trees are attached to weapons.

Will continue with LE, hopefully can get online soon.

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm having more actual fun with the game than D4 based off the first few hours. You actually feel like you can build a character.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Game is getting hammered in reviews.
I did get to play offline and I was surprised at how good it was. .
My biggest gripe before was the action not feeling good, and it's much better now.
Also the game is colorful and the enemies are very varied and interesting.
Reminds me a bit of Torchlight 2, but with a lot more depth.
Comparing to Diablo 4, the animation/sound/design isn't as good. However, D4 has kinda sucky enemy variety, everything is drab, loot is just not that fun, and things that should be in skill trees are attached to weapons.

Will continue with LE, hopefully can get online soon.

Reviews aren't even criticizing the game, but the inability to play online.

The game is absolutely amazing. Best Diablo-like since Titan Quest for me, which was the best since Diablo 2. Completely blows D3, 4, and PoE out of the water IMO.

Hot5pur

Reviews aren't even criticizing the game, but the inability to play online.

The game is absolutely amazing. Best Diablo-like since Titan Quest for me, which was the best since Diablo 2. Completely blows D3, 4, and PoE out of the water IMO.
Yeah it is good.
Also saw there is some stability to the servers now and the game has hit 200k+ CCU on steam.
Going to see if I can coerce my wife to play with me today. Also one weird thing about LE Is that if you portal in and out of town the level you were on resets and I think stuff that was on the ground is gone? I think it's been a persistent issue they've had a hard time resolving.
Weird there is not more activity on GAF, I would have thought this game would have attracted more attention. Probably everyone too busy with Helldivers 2

Cyberpunkd

C'mon man, seriously ?
I saw the topic, didn't know the game, watched the video and... got disappointed since - again - i'm no fan of iso ARPGs, better now ? ;)
Then why do you post? Contrary to what you might see on social media you don’t need opinion on everything. Similarly, your opinion doesn’t matter as much as you think it does.

Hot5pur

Finished the story and played some endgame.
I believe the story isn't fully finished, but doesn't matter too much, it was quite a fun ~25 hrs.
There seem to be a bunch of very cool endgame activities that actually introduce unique content rather than recycling campaign stuff.

What I love:
- enormous build variety and casual friendly as well
- skills have their own skills trees
- itemization and crafting
- loot filter (both useful but also quite essential)
- general feel of the combat
- sound, environments, colorful design
- leveling always feels meaningful, skills and character level independently
- endgame loop, actually has unique bosses and some additional story beats (but very basic)
- dungeons with very unique mechanics that extend to the boss fights
- managing affixes on gear feels quite important and meaningful
- enemy variety

What is just good enough:
- the voice acting is decent for the most part with some jarring exceptions
- animations are good, not great like in Diablo 4 for example, but they get the job done
- graphics are good, again not great but it's not an issue
- for the most part levels are linear, with some open arenas a bit later
- coop play is decent, feels a bit clunky at times with how quests are handled but not a big deal
- story and characters are OK, nothing special, motivating enough to move forward and see what happens

Needs improvement:
- item designs don't aways match up with their drawings, especially for unique, which is a shame
- NPC portraits sometimes don't match up with character model
- some missing voice lines, or who is voiced and who isn't feels random at times
- story is convoluted and would benefit from some sort of a diagram explaining all this jumping between timelines

This game could easily sell for $60 as it's one hell of an achievement. Compared to Diablo 4, it is much more fun. Diablo 4 was excellent in the 1st act, and then it was kinda samey, especially with the limited skill trees and the pain of having to reslot aspects.
This game is better in every way except for the aesthetics, and even then it's 80-90% there and even beats in in certain areas because it has good variety and color while diablo 4 is washed out and looks very similar regardless where you are adventuring.
I feel we need an OT for this, I might put one together, it would be a damn shame for anyone who loves ARPGs to sleep on this one. The online was very stable this week and otherwise the game is polished and bug free.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Finished the story and played some endgame.
I believe the story isn't fully finished, but doesn't matter too much, it was quite a fun ~25 hrs.
There seem to be a bunch of very cool endgame activities that actually introduce unique content rather than recycling campaign stuff.

What I love:
- enormous build variety and casual friendly as well
- skills have their own skills trees
- itemization and crafting
- loot filter (both useful but also quite essential)
- general feel of the combat
- sound, environments, colorful design
- leveling always feels meaningful, skills and character level independently
- endgame loop, actually has unique bosses and some additional story beats (but very basic)
- dungeons with very unique mechanics that extend to the boss fights
- managing affixes on gear feels quite important and meaningful
- enemy variety

What is just good enough:
- the voice acting is decent for the most part with some jarring exceptions
- animations are good, not great like in Diablo 4 for example, but they get the job done
- graphics are good, again not great but it's not an issue
- for the most part levels are linear, with some open arenas a bit later
- coop play is decent, feels a bit clunky at times with how quests are handled but not a big deal
- story and characters are OK, nothing special, motivating enough to move forward and see what happens

Needs improvement:
- item designs don't aways match up with their drawings, especially for unique, which is a shame
- NPC portraits sometimes don't match up with character model
- some missing voice lines, or who is voiced and who isn't feels random at times
- story is convoluted and would benefit from some sort of a diagram explaining all this jumping between timelines

This game could easily sell for $60 as it's one hell of an achievement. Compared to Diablo 4, it is much more fun. Diablo 4 was excellent in the 1st act, and then it was kinda samey, especially with the limited skill trees and the pain of having to reslot aspects.
This game is better in every way except for the aesthetics, and even then it's 80-90% there and even beats in in certain areas because it has good variety and color while diablo 4 is washed out and looks very similar regardless where you are adventuring.
I feel we need an OT for this, I might put one together, it would be a damn shame for anyone who loves ARPGs to sleep on this one. The online was very stable this week and otherwise the game is polished and bug free.

I need to get back to it! Got about 3 hours in, but server issues had me take a break so I can play with some friends later. Loved every moment I was playing though. Even in the first 10 levels,there was more build variety than the entirety of D3 and D4.

foamdino

Server issues for me haven't been an issue this entire week (EU servers).

I've not quite finished the story, but the game starts quite slow and really doesn't take off until you get a few synergies going between skills

Hot5pur

Game is soooo good.
Took me away from Helldivers completely. Got like 80 hours in this bad boy.
Making new builds is just too much fun. So much better than D4 it's crazy how a much smaller team just made a far better product.

amigastar

Game is soooo good.
Took me away from Helldivers completely. Got like 80 hours in this bad boy.
Making new builds is just too much fun. So much better than D4 it's crazy how a much smaller team just made a far better product.
Yeah, i keep hearing this although Metacritic even gives Diablo 4 a 91 on Xbox and Last Epoch gets a 79. I can't imagine D4 being that much better especially from what i've hear about Last Epoch.

Zheph

I hope the D4 Team open their eyes on the lack of variety and the silly itemisation they have because this games offers so much more, its embarrassing

I've been playing this, I love but only thing I hate is the crafting. Maybe I'm an idiot but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Also I haven't found a stronger item than my current magic staf in 3 hours gameplay... not sure if that's normal.

Also stuff in the store is super weak...

Last edited:

Zheph

I've been playing this, I love but only thing I hate is the crafting. Maybe I'm an idiot but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Also I haven't found a stronger item than my current magic staf in 3 hours gameplay... not sure if that's normal.

I feel like crafting is a strong asset of the game.. maybe check a guide on yt about it?

Hot5pur

Crafting is some of the best in any arpg. Do check a a guide.
Finding new piece of gear should happen more often but your main weapon may take a few hours to replace depending what level you are (there is a bit of a dead zone between 60-80 apparently). Vendor should not have good items.
You can get a lot of the power increases in your main weapon through crafting which keeps things interesting.

Top Bottom