• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - returns Feb 12th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
mv8Fzyz.jpg

About the Show:
Presenting a satirical look at the week in news, politics and current events, LAST WEEK TONIGHT WITH JOHN OLIVER returns for its 35-episode second season SUNDAY, FEB. 8 (11:00-11:30 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO.
HBO's Full PR Release

John Oliver Bio:
An Emmy and Writer's Guild Award-winning writer, John Oliver was previously a correspondent for 'The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,' joining the show in 2006. He first came to prominence as a cutting-edge political stand-up performer in the UK with a string of TV appearances and sold-out solo shows at the Edinburgh Festival. Oliver won the Breakout Award at the Aspen Comedy Festival in 2007 and went on to write and star in the Comedy Central stand-up special 'John Oliver: Terrifying Times,' followed by the series 'John Oliver's New York Stand Up Show,' which he has hosted for four seasons. With longtime collaborator Andy Zaltzman, Oliver co-writes and co-presents the popular weekly satirical podcast The Bugle, which currently receives more than 500,000 downloads a month. He also has a recurring role on the comedy series 'Community.' In the summer of 2013, Oliver's tenure as guest host on 'The Daily Show with Jon Stewart' earned strong critical reviews.

Promos:

Links:

1lVSPic.jpg

mclem

Big Bugle fan here, and it's been enjoyable to hear his encroaching terror in the past few weeks on the podcast.

The Boat

I like Oliver and I'll watch this, but I feel like it's a shame that he's doing basically another daily show. Sure, Colbert does it (although not for long), but Colbert is another beast entirely.

Damn it, I thought from the promos this was going to be an hour long---it would've been the perfect vehicle to get me directly to the midnight rerun of Bourdain's show on CNN!

Not sure what'll go down with the first guest as General Alexander is...well...

Oriel

I hope this doesn't try to be another Daily Show. One is enough, Oliver would be better off trying something different.

He can be quite funny, and hopefully the restrained episode order and production schedule will mean he and his team are able to make each episode count. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
With a half an hour time slot, its weird they couldn't do this show more than once a week. Seems like 30 minutes won't be enough time to build meaningful jokes about the current events for an entire week AND do an interview.

Tucah

you speak so well
Excited to see how he does with his own show. I was pleasantly surprised with his great Daily Show run last summer, hope he does well tonight.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's not much different than the Daily Show, but it feels a little more light hearted. Which is odd because they can now curse.

I doubt this is live?

I doubt it, the Daily Show and Colbert aren't either. They do have an audience though, I assume this is the same.

WOW this is amazing. Finally, someone talked about Modi's Gujarat genocide! About goddamn time.

Thank you John Oliver.

Edit: lol this is awesome. He also talks about India's ridiculous media.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I'm fucking dying here. "Frosted Miniwheats: it's literally better than nothing."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He's managed to bring together Stewart, Colbert and the Correspondent's best stuff together into one show.

This is the best thing ever.

EDIT: Mr Tiggles! :lol

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
"Mr. Tiggles" :jnc

Lol. "The NSA, the only government agency that actually listens to you."

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
:jnc Trevor. Tell me about your day.

Great first episode. I think it's gonna go well and this is a great round out to Sunday nights on HBO.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Frosted mini wheats was the funniest segment.
having no commercials made the episdor feel really fast paced, its like an extended version of dailyshow/colberts first 10 minutes. Will watch every week tho.

WOW this is amazing. Finally, someone talked about Modi's Gujarat genocide! About goddamn time.

Thank you John Oliver.

Edit: lol this is awesome. He also talks about India's ridiculous media.

The Bugle is coming through.

They better hire Andy if they haven't already. But don't let him do puns or his historic nonsense.

I thought it was rather well done. Good jokes, love how much easier to look at his set is than Stewart and Colbert's. Hopefully this goes on for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom