• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - returns Feb 12th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
Pretty good first episode. Having more time compared to The Daily Show really helps with having more time to talk and to have better pacing. At times, I felt like TDS was rushing through segments because of lack of time. Last Week Tonight has a nice, natural flow.

His set is huge, with a ton of space. I'm hoping they don't just have him glued on his table and have him interact with other parts of the set, like what Colbert does from time to time.

linsivvi

Pretty good first episode. Being on HBO means he doesn't need to waste time on interviewing boring authors promoting their latest uninteresting books, which is also the worst part of the Daily Show/Colbert Report.

Scarecrow

It was pretty good. I hope Oliver can keep up the momentum on his own, or at least bring in some guests from time to time.

sangreal

So is this going to be every week, or does it have a set number of episodes?

I'm not sure it's been explicitly stated. I think it's basically every week, although probably with occasional breaks for holidays or during those weeks HBO doesn't have other new programming. I've definitely seen nothing suggested it's some 13 episode deal or anything like that.

But this was revealed in the THR cover story about the show:

The first season is 25 episodes, but they are apparently looking to do 35-episode seasons like Bill Maher

Zero315

Banned
This is fucking great. I can't help but think how much better The Daily Show would be in this format, like not having to deal with commercial breaks and random celeb interviews.

sangreal

didn't love this episode, but I thought he did a better job on the format -- taking his time to discuss the issues at length instead of rushing through. The "and now this" remains jarring though. I look forward to more "other countries' president of the united states" segments even though the audience did not seem into it

Only watched the first episode, but this show is hilarious. Will continue to tune in every week. They really do have that GOAT Sunday lineup on HBO.

Also, love the graphic design on the opening titles. Makes me want to steal it for my website :)

I'm really enjoying it. It's great for me because I don't watch Daily Show/Colbert much due to Conan being on during that time slot, and I already have enough shows to watch. Plus having a full, uninterrupted half-hour is wonderful.

I love this picture. He looks so natural that it took me a few seconds...

40882.jpg

kaskade

I'm really enjoying it. It's great for me because I don't watch Daily Show/Colbert much due to Conan being on during that time slot, and I already have enough shows to watch. Plus having a full, uninterrupted half-hour is wonderful.

Same here. I think it would be nice if it was an hour though. Since it's a whole week of news I think it wouldn't be a problem.

And that's why we needed a show like this on a network free of constraints like HBO. Tonight John Oliver ascended to god-tier television with those attack ads.

I've never been more proud to be a Bugler. The only thing that would have made this episode better is a massive pun run.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Pointing out the lyrics of those Eurovision songs was amazing. The episode made me miss one of my old coworkers who was obsessed about Eurovision and all the surrounding drama. Now might have been an interesting time to have him around.

Lkr

I really wish this show had more exposure. I know it has to be on HBO, but more people need to see it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom