• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - returns Feb 12th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocks

I can only assume he meant he didn't like the advertisements FOR the show.

Yeah, it stopped being funny about the 4th time I saw it.

But it's OK, cause the show itself delivered. Clever, funny, and informative.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Show is interesting without commercial breaks as segways. I guess the "and now this" stuff kinda serves that purpose.

Set feels empty too, and the lighting was very orange. Stuff like that will be tweaked so it's not a huge deal.

Otherwise, felt pretty much like the daily show. Should be interesting to see how it evolves and gets its groove. Reminds me of the first week of Colbert report. Stuff changed very quickly.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Good start, I approve. It seems like they're serious about doing some deeper dives into less talked about topics, like the Indian elections and the POM v. Coca-Cola case. That'll help differentiate itself from TDS and Colbert Report, and of course it makes sense given it's a weekly show.

I was dismayed to see no end credits. Umm, the staff and crew deserve a mention.

Tucah

you speak so well
Great first episode. The topics were varied and interesting and John Oliver was just as charming and funny as ever. Sure, it's pretty much TDS but that's perfectly okay with me. HBO now owns two and a half hours of my Sunday.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So is this going to be every week, or does it have a set number of episodes?

I'm not sure it's been explicitly stated. I think it's basically every week, although probably with occasional breaks for holidays or during those weeks HBO doesn't have other new programming. I've definitely seen nothing suggested it's some 13 episode deal or anything like that.

But this was revealed in the THR cover story about the show:

They have talked about expanding the show to an hour or having it on more than once a week as well as giving Oliver a new home for his stand-up -- once Oliver gets his feet under him.

I thought it was great, really funny. It did feel really packed into 30 minutes though, could use a little room to breathe.

I almost went to bed and missed it... almost. I tuned in and did not regret it. It was just like when Oliver hosted the Daily Show. I look forward to next week.

The Bugle is coming through.

They better hire Andy if they haven't already. But don't let him do puns or his historic nonsense.

First thing I thought reading through the thread as well, The Bugle is great and everyone should listen to it.

Now to find a way to watch this in the UK.

Tamanon

Banned
Caught the episode on Youtube. I like how much more bite Oliver has in his interviews since I assume he's not looking at repeat interviews down the road.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just saw it on YouTube, thought it was pretty great. The once a week format and the HBO budget looks like its going to let them do some really fun stuff

enjoyed it. Hope it branches out from the daily show mold when they find things they like. Its almost more like a weekly update than the daily show though. I forget how the correspondents spice it up even when theyre not always hits

I enjoy the unbleeped curses. The bleeping makes it sound cartoonish but when you here Bullshit you get the anger across so much better

I enjoyed the first 15 minutes or so, but had to turn it off. It comes on way too late for me. I'll probably continue to watch this on HBO Go in the future.

^ Edit:I just watched this on YouTube.

That was very good. There's one thing that they need to work on is the pacing in the beginning. It's like they were shot out of a cannon for the first part there. The beginning needs better definition, something that was oddly enough corrected in the second half of the show.

• The intro leads into the week recap segment, which ends with the Lisa Loeb music video.
  • The segment on the Indian Elections should have it's own title card. Instead is just kind of rolls into the segment that came before it.
  • A title card (with voiceover) introduces McCain's traveling comedy show.
  • When that's over, it John introduces the marketing issue.
  • A title card (with voiceover) introduces the Workplace of the week segment.
  • Finally, the interview with the general gets an intro from John.

DJ_Lae

Enjoyed it more than I expected based on the ads for it and the first five minutes where it just felt like another Daily Show.

Will continue watching. Sunday night are packed with shit to watch now.

Meier

I'm surprised there is such a lag time in getting it posted to HBO Go. Most other shows are within 10-15 mins at this point, right? Looking forward to watching it tonight!

Disappointed it's only 30 mins long. In theory it reminds me of Totally Biased when it was a once a week show. Man, it was so good.. shame it flamed out so spectacularly after they switched it to nightly.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm surprised there is such a lag time in getting it posted to HBO Go. Most other shows are within 10-15 mins at this point, right? Looking forward to watching it tonight!

Real Time usually takes around 24 hours (sometimes less, sometimes more) to post on HBOGO.

Mathezar

I love John Oliver, but this show feels a bit redundant... Don't get me wrong, it's a good show, but it's almost an exact copy of The Daily Show minus the "correspondants". Hope it elvolves into something more unique.

It's very clearly a rip on Daily Show, but I didn't mind that. If they continue to cover more international type stories (like the one on the India elections) that DS might not then I think it will have it's place.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It's very clearly a rip on Daily Show, but I didn't mind that. If they continue to cover more international type stories (like the one on the India elections) that DS might not then I think it will have it's place.

Yeah I like the international slant, it's like it's the BBC version of the daily show.

demon

Wow this is basically The Daily Show. I guess that's not a bad thing but I was hoping for something a little more original.

demon

Hey look, it's the American "Mock the Week", except with only one person instead of many lol..

I've never heard of that before but just from reading about it, LWT is much closer to the Daily Show formula.

The pacing for that episode was sublime. Having no commercials does the Daily Show formula wonders.

for real.

siddhu33

I've never heard of that before but just from reading about it, LWT is much closer to the Daily Show formula.

for real.

Yeah...You're right, it is a lot like TDS. But it's funny and I like John Oliver, so that's fine. I think that Bill Maher might be more like Mock the Week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom