• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - returns Feb 12th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Lae

Haha, my wife and I really enjoyed the last episode - seems like it's found itself pretty well at this point, I hope they can keep it up.

The attack ads were spectacular.

Orca

Holy shit did he ever tear into GM for the recalls and behind the scenes dirt.

The show has more penis and profanity than I was expecting but it's been great.

The GM segment this week was incredible.

I expected a lot more stumbling initially for this show, but he's been pretty consistently hard hitting every week. Really great stuff.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Nobody watching tonight? The net neutrality... I'm sorry, "cable company fuckery," bit was fucking priceless.
KuGsj.gif

Show is decently entertaining, but i've never really thought John Oliver was that funny, even his stand up. Something about his delivery and mannerisms.. he doesn't hit the mark in quite the same way as Stewart and Colbert. Just my opinion though.

Jintor

Show is decently entertaining, but i've never really thought John Oliver was that funny, even his stand up. Something about his delivery and mannerisms.. he doesn't hit the mark in quite the same way as Stewart and Colbert. Just my opinion though.

I kinda burned out on Jon over the last few years. He's still funny, but I need another break for a few years before I watch his stuff again.

Colbert is A+ material 95% of the time though.

One of the best pieces on Net Neutrality I've ever seen. He perfectly nails the issue - it's a massive change in a service integral to daily life, but it's positioned as something so boring that most people don't bother. Pointing out that TWC & Comcast's non-competition is actually a case against mergers was also smart.

I hope this will spread. Obviously they formated the segment to go online, and I imagine it'll be at the top of Reddit & some other tech sites tomorrow. But if it can inspire a comically large response to the FCC comment page, it will be harder for legislation to occur that opposes public opinion.

Pikelet

One of the best pieces on Net Neutrality I've ever seen. He perfectly nails the issue - it's a massive change in a service integral to daily life, but it's positioned as something so boring that most people don't bother. Pointing out that TWC & Comcast's non-competition is actually a case against mergers was also smart.

I hope this will spread. Obviously they formated the segment to go online, and I imagine it'll be at the top of Reddit & some other tech sites tomorrow. But if it can inspire a comically large response to the FCC comment page, it will be harder for legislation to occur that opposes public opinion.

Youtube link to the video

Yes, this piece was amazing.

A lot of great points, and absolutely hilarious. I hope the call-to-action is effective.

Net neutrality piece was incredible. I'm biased, because I'm both British and a Community fan, but I think I prefer John Oliver over Jon Stewart already.

Jintor

Ian Duncan's TV show certainly is very good indeed

The Tony Abbott piece is already going viral down under.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Its disgusting how in bed with the lobbyists the current administration is. Approval of such bullshit will likely be one of the biggest black marks on it down the road. It feels like there is so much shit to be outraged about nobody can focus the publics attention on issues anymore.

ZehDon

Gold Member
...The Tony Abbott piece is already going viral down under.
Yeah, he earned himself a few new fans with that. It's kind of like shooting fish in a barrel, though - Abbott's just about the worst PM we've ever had.

Net neutrality piece was incredible. I'm biased, because I'm both British and a Community fan, but I think I prefer John Oliver over Jon Stewart already.

Jon Stewart has good taste in books, and is smart, insightful, and gives an ok interview sometimes, but Oliver is definitely fresher and probably naturally funnier. Stewart seems like the kind of comedian who's most certainly not 'always on'.

I really hope HBO gives Oliver an hour. It's too damn short.

Aaron

I kinda burned out on Jon over the last few years. He's still funny, but I need another break for a few years before I watch his stuff again.

Colbert is A+ material 95% of the time though.
Complete opposite for me. Colbert is like Conan in that they're very funny in small doses, but watching them over time you realize they're essentially doing the same material over and over. While Stewart isn't any less innocent, the correspondents inject just enough variety to make the Daily Show interesting.

linsivvi

Complete opposite for me. Colbert is like Conan in that they're very funny in small doses, but watching them over time you realize they're essentially doing the same material over and over. While Stewart isn't any less innocent, the correspondents inject just enough variety to make the Daily Show interesting.

I am still watching both regularly but increasingly I found myself skipping the interviews. There are only so many times I can watch interviews of no name authors promoting their books on the financial crisis. It stops being interesting after the first dozen times.

Hasney

Christ that was a brilliant episode. I knew from reading about the whole US net neutrality thing how bad it was, but I didn't realize they hired a fucking lobbyist to run the FCC. Thanks, Obama... Literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom