• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - returns Feb 12th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Good episode. There should be more righteous indignation about the danger Dr Oz and his cohorts represent to general public health. Likewise for all the similar pseudoscientific figureheads that Oprah has given successful platforms to sell bullshit to the masses, and all the moronic politicians who bend over backwards to ensure these industries aren't taken down.

Vlad

Good episode. There should be more righteous indignation about the danger Dr Oz and his cohorts represent to general public health. Likewise for all the similar pseudoscientific figureheads that Oprah has given successful platforms to sell bullshit to the masses, and all the moronic politicians who bend over backwards to ensure these industries aren't taken down.

The thing is, as John said on the show, Dr. Oz is just a symptom. Sure, the specific pills that he mentions on his show get a bump in sales, but people buy this shit anyway. Sadly, I know some of these people, and have long given up trying to change their minds. The thing is is that they think that "oh, just because something hasn't been proven by science or approved by the FDA doesn't mean it doesn't work!"

Of course, telling them that it doesn't mean that it DOES work doesn't help at all. They're going to have their blind faith that all this bullshit does something just because it's "ancient chinese" or "what the FDA and drug companies are conspiring to keep away from us" or some other nonsensical reason.

Vlad

This is literally becoming my favorite show. I always found him funny on the daily show, but this. This is like Olivers "true form".

Yeah, while it is very similar to TDS in format, there's even less of the pretense towards neutrality on issues. Stuff like the Bill Nye, Net Neutrality, POM, and tonights supplement segment really take a stand on a certain issue and do a great job at highlighting a lot of the insanity that surrounds it.

This is literally becoming my favorite show. I always found him funny on the daily show, but this. This is like Olivers "true form".

If you've ever listened to his podcast, what he's doing on his show shouldn't surprise you. I'm really happy that his voice is shining through so clearly.

Oh yeah. I did a speed-run of a podcast I found a few months ago. I started out loving it but by episode 60 in a row I was thinking, "what level of hell is this, and why did I subject myself to it?"

That Uganda stuff, fucking hell. The interview and then preacher guy with the fruit was hilarious, though. Almost like satire.

Off next week and then final episode of the season the week after that! Sad! I thought this would be an ongoing programme and not consist of short seasons like this! Hope it's back sooner rather than later.

Every week, another reason I am glad to be a European. The amount of influence industry can have on politics is just scary.

This happens in Europe as well. A Dutch political party had decided to make an ingredient in pesticides illegal, but the company that produced these pesticides was earning millions on them in the Netherlands. Just before passing the law, the ministers of that party were pulled into a last minute meeting with company executives. The law making the pesticide illegal was delayed indefinitely right after.

That Uganda stuff, fucking hell. The interview and then preacher guy with the fruit was hilarious, though. Almost like satire.

Off next week and then final episode of the season the week after that! Sad! I thought this would be an ongoing programme and not consist of short seasons like this! Hope it's back sooner rather than later.

?

HBO has episodes through Aug 17th on the schedule.

As far as I'm aware this isn't a "season" based show. They'll probably take some breaks, as most late night shows do of course, but other than that they are going to run it as long as HBO is happy with the show's performance.

sangreal

?

As far as I'm aware this isn't a "season" based show. They'll probably take some breaks, as most late night shows do of course, but other than that they are going to run it as long as HBO is happy with the show's performance.

the first season is 25 episodes but they're planning to increase it to 35 which is more or less year-round. I guess they could be back to back though

?

I'm sure he said "we'll wrap up the week after next" or words to that effect right after he said they wouldn't be on next week.

What's the word on HBO's satisfaction with the show?

I can't imagine them being disappointed with this.

The net neutrality bit is at 4.3 mil views and the FIFA one is at 6.6 mil on YouTube alone. Thats amazing traction for a show only like a handful of episodes in.

BigDug13

Isn't season 1 only 11 episodes?

I don't understand why a show like this is getting "seasons". The episode numbers should simply be the date the episode aired. Attaching "season 1 episode 11" to it seems silly when it's supposed to air all the time like Daily Show with some breaks here and there.

There will be another episode next week. So is that E01S12? It's stupid.

quickwhips

I don't understand why a show like this is getting "seasons". The episode numbers should simply be the date the episode aired. Attaching "season 1 episode 11" to it seems silly when it's supposed to air all the time like Daily Show with some breaks here and there.

Dvd sells though. I mean I want the show to continue and make money so I'm ok with DVD sells so I understand the numbering...

jay23

I agree, I was just wondering if the show is gonna take a hiatus after next weeks episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom