• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - returns Feb 12th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

Dvd sells though. I mean I want the show to continue and make money so I'm ok with DVD sells so I understand the numbering...

This show is being sold on DVD? That doesn't make very much sense to me for a show that is built around current events and has a youtube channel.

I don't understand why a show like this is getting "seasons". The episode numbers should simply be the date the episode aired. Attaching "season 1 episode 11" to it seems silly when it's supposed to air all the time like Daily Show with some breaks here and there.

There will be another episode next week. So is that E01S12? It's stupid.
All late night shows have "seasons" on their production stamps for episodes. Not really sure why.

There's probably a real reason for it, but I don't know what it is.
I agree, I was just wondering if the show is gonna take a hiatus after next weeks episode.
HBO's schedule goes out six weeks and it currently shows a new episode for each of the next six weeks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, without the desperate need to have a guest on all the time and the freedom to cover a story for 15 minutes, the show is what I always wished The Daily Show could be.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I still can't believe for-profit prisons are constitutional. I don't understand.

All late night shows have "seasons" on their production stamps for episodes. Not really sure why.

There's probably a real reason for it, but I don't know what it is.

It still makes sense to group episode orders for various financial and contractual purposes.

Wow, this is like the first time I ever heard anyone on television actually talk about the horrible US prison rates and how terrible the system is.

John Oliver never ceases to amaze me.

Cohsae

How do they keep killing it every week!? I worry over how long this show can keep up this quality, it's been so damn good.

Fusebox

Banned
That was a stellar new episode, hard to believe he's still only done 11 shows so far, he's knocking it out of the park like it's his 11th season. And what an enjoyable musical outro, felt like a classic variety show but mixed with top notch commentary.

Joeku

I'm so glad they showed
the puppeteers and the piano man at the end
. Lends so much to the way the show prefers to show reality most of the time.

Didn't really know about the privatization of prisons, that's pretty shitty.

And they didn't even talk about judges taking payoffs to send minors to for profit prisons, or law enforcement officers who own stock in prison companies that need to keep prisons full to keep the money rolling in. Or how Hawaii had to pull their female prisoners from a private prison in Kentucky because of routine sexual abuse by the guards.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
And they didn't even talk about judges taking payoffs to send minors to for profit prisons, or law enforcement officers who own stock in prison companies that need to keep prisons full to keep the money rolling in. Or how Hawaii had to pull their female prisoners from a private prison in Kentucky because of routine sexual abuse by the guards.

Or prison corporations drafting and lobbying for harsh sentencing guidelines and other policies that would result in additional prisoners. The whole concept of for-profit prisons is unbelievably rife with corruption.

lexi

Banned
I'm so happy to see John talking about the massive problem with the prison industrial complex in America. I hope there is change soon, most people seem to be able to file away their ability to care about this because they subscribe wholly to the 'just world' fallacy.

jay23

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Singapore's G…: http://youtu.be/HKMNKS-9ugY

Gambling commercials had me crying

And for profit prisons are so fucking corrupt. I bet they're one of the main reasons why drugs haven't been decriminalized. Have all these rich assholes lobbying to keep them illegal, just so they can keep their prisons full. It's sickening.

Too much money to be made

docbon

That Rick Scott bit. Holy shit, Floridians really did elect Voldermot as their governor.

My jaw hit the floor the day he was elected.

Apparently overseeing the largest medicare fraud in history wasn't a big deal after all. Unsurprisingly, he's been utter shit since then.

My jaw hit the floor the day he was elected.

Apparently overseeing the largest medicare fraud in history wasn't a big deal after all. Unsurprisingly, he's been utter shit since then.
In Florida. FLORIDA. The place with all the old people.

Hey's let's elect the fox that ate all the chickens to guard the new chicken-coop!

I hope they do a new "Other Countries Presidents of the United States" segment soon. I loved that. Last week's episode was stellar though and gives me another reason to have HBO besides Bill Maher.

Frog-fu

Banned
This show is really brilliant. Been watching it from the start, haven't missed an episode yet, and if the quality keeps up, I certainly don't intend to.

Siegcram

It's really a bummer that this show is gonna get cut down in its prime due to the inevitable team-up of thai, dutch, kuwaitian and danish assassins.

But it was really fun while it lasted.

#GoGetThoseGeckos

I have to think that the #GoGetThoseGeckos thing was also to see if they can crash another government site like the FCC and the Net Neutrality thing. Better this week more than one funny segment this week but the song at the end of last week was gold.

Zaptruder

Banned
Pretty much the only news/political summary show that I enjoy at the moment.Guy is hilarious, and makes his points excellently.

darkace

Banned
His shows have been fantastic so far, I just hope he doesn't run out of steam. He has started with the death penalty, nukes and corporate lobbying.

That said, there is usually an endless stream of shit in politics that would merit a segment from him, so I think I can look forward to seeing much more.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
That politician and the Indian fiasco that transpired

HOLY SHIT!

I was like he can't be that dense can he, I mean he is a congressman, someone must have relayed to him what the meeting was about and who will be speaking... OF COURSE FUCKING NOT!

Also HOLY FUCK at the amendment passing and the mistakes with the nukes, *YEESH*

IdleRover

Can you imagine the size of pun runs he'll be able to do with an HBO budget?

I want that so bad and at the same time not at all.

Really hope he manages to continue doing both the Bugle and this show. I was clapping my hands in childish anticipation for the response to Clawson's "slow moving car crash". So well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom