• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - returns Feb 12th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

finowns

Liking this show. I don't find John Oliver particularly funny but he is insightful and really gets the point across.

nicolajNN

Been watching the main segments on youtube for about a month now, genius stuff, even though some of the more American centric subjects can be less relevant for me it's still interesting and funny.

Great one this week, that "Spanish" sentence had me floored, good grief.

Matush

Amazing episode again, everything from Brazilian election to Olypmics was brilliant. Not to mention last segment.

Lkr

Finally have HBO again, missed the past couple of episodes. The space gecko Olympic mascot was fucking great last night. Never forget

Lots of stories here

Here is a little bit from one of them:

Madison County, Ill., where Huff was pulled over, is bisected by I-70 just outside of St. Louis. Interstates are a particularly rich ground for forfeiture. Law enforcement officials say that's because interstates are ideal for drug running.

Critics say it's because police can target out-of-state drivers, who are more likely than local residents to accept a police officer's baseless accusations and turn over their property, rather than refuse and face arrest, multiple returns to the state for court dates and thousands of dollars in legal expenses. Sometimes winning the property back can exceed the actual value of the property.

Faced with that choice, it isn't difficult to see why innocent people would opt to hand over their cash and head home.

"The joke around our office is that all you need for probable cause in Madison County is an Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, or Florida license plate," says Rekowski, the public defender. Collinsville defense attorney Jessica Koester says she's seen the same thing. "If you're from out of state, they're simply going to find a reason to pull you over."

Local news reports indicate that Illinois law enforcement agencies along the I-70 corridor have ramped up their forfeiture efforts in recent years. Rekowski said one tactic police use is to put up a sign for a "drug checkpoint" roadblock ahead. In 2000, the U.S. Supreme Court said such checkpoints are illegal; roadblocks are legal for DWI checks, but not for narcotics checks. But Rekowski says that isn't the point.

"They put the sign up so there's only one exit you can take to avoid it. Then they pull over and search anyone who tries to exit before the roadblock."

That tactic too is constitutionally suspect. Police can't pull a driver over merely for exiting before an announced (and illegal) drug checkpoint. "But, of course, that isn't why they'll say they've pulled you over," Rekowski says. "They'll say you crossed two lanes to get to the exit, or switched lanes without signaling, or that you cut someone off."

The Edwardsville Intelligencer reported in 2010 that the Madison County State's Attorney's Office has reaped a half-million dollars from the policy over eight years, which at the prosecutor's take of 10-12 percent suggests a total bounty of $4.5 million to $5 million. Madison County Assistant State's Attorney Stephanie Robbins, who handles forfeiture cases for the office, told local paper the Telegraph in 2010, "Law-abiding citizens have nothing to worry about."

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The Edwardsville Intelligencer reported in 2010 that the Madison County State's Attorney's Office has reaped a half-million dollars from the policy over eight years, which at the prosecutor's take of 10-12 percent suggests a total bounty of $4.5 million to $5 million. Madison County Assistant State's Attorney Stephanie Robbins, who handles forfeiture cases for the office, told local paper the Telegraph in 2010, "Law-abiding citizens have nothing to worry about."
Wow. Fuck you, Mrs. Robbins.
Those state attorneys are in on it, I'm sure. Fucking greedy corrupt assholes, the lot of them.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Critics say it's because police can target out-of-state drivers, who are more likely than local residents to accept a police officer's baseless accusations and turn over their property, rather than refuse and face arrest, multiple returns to the state for court dates and thousands of dollars in legal expenses. Sometimes winning the property back can exceed the actual value of the property.

Faced with that choice, it isn't difficult to see why innocent people would opt to hand over their cash and head home.

"The joke around our office is that all you need for probable cause in Madison County is an Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, or Florida license plate," says Rekowski, the public defender. Collinsville defense attorney Jessica Koester says she's seen the same thing. "If you're from out of state, they're simply going to find a reason to pull you over."

Yup. There have been countless stories of police targeting interstate vehicles over the last several years. It's a popular tactic.

Reasonable people should be able to find a way to hurt criminal enterprises without wantonly stealing from any and all citizens without reproach.

Fifty

Was that the first interview he's done? It was definitely a really solid episode, showcasing perfectly what this show can be. I don't want to get into a debate about what show is better, but IMO this is leagues above The Daily Show.

A big target for civil asset forfeiture is prostitution. You pick up a prostitute in your car . . . they take your car. It is pretty harsh justice.

xbhaskarx

The jokes during the translator segment didn't really do much to make it less sad, so while I appreciated it from a news / informational perspective it didn't work on a "funny" level.

And the quick intro stuff before it (Ebola thank you letter and five second clip of some random show I've never seen) wasn't as good as usual.

Jonm1010

Banned
That translator bit was one of the more depressing things I have seen on the show.

I really don't care whether the humor worked or not, I have a lot of respect for them taking the issue on. It is an issue I would really like to see them re-visit before that date hits.

These are the sorts of issues that really should be able to be resolved across partisan lines but leave it to congress to find a way to either ignore it or not fix it.

ZenaxPure

Yeah that translator story was straight up heartbreaking, but I am okay with them doing it. I've taken a real liking to the show doing major stories on things nobody is talking about.

Also the dog court was amazing and I hope someone puts it to good use.

Keasar

Yeah that translator story was straight up heartbreaking, but I am okay with them doing it. I've taken a real liking to the show doing major stories on things nobody is talking about.

Yeah, I will never say they shouldn't have made the segment, I have known about this story for a while now and am glad it gets brought up more. Just sad to get reminded again about it and how terrible it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom