• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - returns Feb 12th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great segment. None of the jokes made me laugh, but this was a great one, and one that hits too close to home.

You see, it's not just an American problem about translators not getting a break in war. In Denmark, we too have been treating translators like garbage and just seen them slowly die off to bullshit.
I particularly loved how Oliver didn't spin it in a anti-War rant or any of that. Regardless of how you felt about what has happened over there, this treatment of anyone in any situation, anywhere on earth just hits you in the gut on a personal level. It's the very definition of ungratefulness. I also loved the little tidbits he made about the Vietnam Evacuation.

The entire lack of proper translators during the initial invasion of Afghanistan was insane. I heard a crazy figure being thrown around that less than 10 people where working as translators during the initial Afghan invasion. That is fucking crazy if you're trying to occupy a country and don't have anyone to speak the language. I have a feeling these translators have a big part to play in less people on both the civlian and american military side.

Nearly cried at the translator bit. His dad blessed him to take the translation job and it cost his father's life. Damn.

That supreme court bit is genius. Looking forward to people using this.

Fantastic episode.

Dabanton

I'll echo it was another great episode.

The translator bit was depressing, the bureaucracy once again fucking things up.

The supreme court with animals is the funniest thing I've seen in a while. It did actually make it a lot more watchable.

Loved the chicken stenographer.

Keasar

Is the dude in the home depot commercial bob from bobs burgers?

Yup, Jon H. Benjamin. Also known as Sterling Archer in his best role.
archer_sterling_5461.jpg

blanky

Weird, I would have guessed this episode would have caused more of a stir than this. Especially considering election season. Even if some bits went on a bit long, that state legislation shit is just straight up wrong. All those horrible politicians running unopposed.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Weird, I would have guessed this episode would have caused more of a stir than this. Especially considering election season. Even if some bits went on a bit long, that state legislation shit is just straight up wrong. All those horrible politicians running unopposed.

Anyone who votes notices that they only have one major-party choice when it comes to some of their local representatives/sheriffs/judges etc. They (including me for the most part) just don't really care.

blanky

Anyone who votes notices that they only have one major-party choice when it comes to some of their local representatives/sheriffs/judges etc. They (including me for the most part) just don't really care.

I suppose, but it doesn't really seem like an option considering just how productive the state legislation is.

I just watched a couple hours worth of stuff on Youtube of this show. It's great info, but there are a lot of times where some horrific shit gets played and then a joke is made after it. I know thats the show and I'm not criticizing it, but personally sometimes I have to just shake my head and wonder what the fuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom