• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - returns Feb 12th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, yup.

Sweet! Love that subject.

It seems John might get sued this time for real. It sounds like that hack Murray is not fucking around.

Incidentally - That project Bit Source that helps coal miners in these areas become software programmers by letting their education be covered by the work they do, is an amazing way to help us.

Imagine if we had thousands of these projects. Today its coal miners, tomorrow its truck drivers and retail employees.
We need tons of these re-training career paths that focus on mobility and allow people to take a new profession specific skill.

I believe this could be the way that we help millions of people as the work force needs change.

What would be amazing is if you could imagine a coal miner, taking training in a field, and then doing a 2-3 year stint of re-education while providing for his family and at the same time, paying off his training, you're looking at a person who is able to be re-focused into a new career that the market needs.

The question is: besides programming and software development, what other skills could you train people with on sight?

I imagine that some of these people don't have a lot of education and lots of them wouldn't be able to learn some of these skills.
So there would need to be a wide selection of different disciplines to choose from, and it would need to be re adjusted in accordance with fitting into the regular education system.

But if you're a coal miner without a job, and you had 10-20 different professions you could choose from between labor, care, service, development, production, maintenance, there would have to be something for nearly everybody?

There are so many people who are going to need this, that the coal miners might just be like a alpha phase or beta phase. It's going to be scared when truck drivers and retail workers are going out of work. That's a lot of low skilled people with seriously diminishing options.

Jag

It seems John might get sued this time for real. It sounds like that hack Murray is not fucking around.

And he did.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/coal-king-sues-hbo-over-john-olivers-show?via=mobile&source=copyurl

The largest private coal mining company in America is suing HBO over the most recent episode of John Oliver’s show Last Week Tonight.
“The false and defamatory statements in this broadcast severely and destructively impact Mr. Murray… as well as coal mining itself,” said a press release from Murray Energy Corporation, which is suing.

J_Viper

Man the Coal episode was very good, but like the rest of his segments, the content is constantly undercut by the god awful barrage of Borderlands-tier humor

They really gotta reduce that shit. I feel like the humor that works comes from the stories they cover, not the writers

Man the Coal episode was very good, but like the rest of his segments, the content is constantly undercut by the god awful barrage of Borderlands-tier humor

They really gotta reduce that shit. I feel like the humor that works comes from the stories they cover, not the writers

The problem is John doesn't know when to stop. Most of the gags where he's shouting at whatever graphic is on screen go on waaaaay too long. I do a lot of skipping forward 5 seconds while watching the show.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The problem is John doesn't know when to stop. Most of the gags where he's shouting at whatever graphic is on screen go on waaaaay too long. I do a lot of skipping forward 5 seconds while watching the show.
John's not a great comedian, but he's always been like this since the start of the show.

Same set up and punchline every. single. time. Best to not think to hard about it and go with the flow, I see it as an informational show first and foremost with some colour commentary.

John's not a great comedian, but he's always been like this since the start of the show.

Same set up and punchline every. single. time. Best to not think to hard about it and go with the flow, I see it as an informational show first and foremost with some colour commentary.
I agree to an extent, when his jokes are more subtle or a turn-of-phrase, they're absolutely hilarious.

I'm not American so assumed the whole 'shouty' thing was for the American audience. Apparently I'm wrong.

The worst ones are always cocaine jokes

I love that the graphics team always Photoshops in bugged out eyes. That's totally how cocaine works.

They are just going through the motions at this point. For a weekly show, LWT write their jokes with arguably less effort than a late night talk show.

Jag

They are just going through the motions at this point. For a weekly show, LWT write their jokes with arguably less effort than a late night talk show.

Their effort goes into investigative journalism which is becoming increasingly rare and much more valuable in the era of "fake news" and social media reporting. He's performing a vital service by exposing issues that are not sexy or exciting.

I happen to like his jokes. Maybe it's because i'm a huge fan of dry British humor, but I think he is incredibly funny.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also think he is funny... Sometimes it's a bit overdelivered, though.
This is it. Some gags are great (mislabelled countries one especially), sometimes he just does too much, and it becomes more apparent the more you watch.

EDIT: I don't want to be overly critical, I think the show is fantastic and super entertaining, and one of the best things on TV several years running. Again, best not to think about it too much.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Naw, show is hilarious, y'all just have poor senses of humor. Don't feel bad, nobody is perfect.

You think he would realize by now that the longer his jokes go on\, the less funny they become.

If the show shifted from a comedy to a full on news show one week the quality would improve 100%.

Their effort goes into investigative journalism which is becoming increasingly rare and much more valuable in the era of "fake news" and social media reporting. He's performing a vital service by exposing issues that are not sexy or exciting.

But that not true, because if it were LWT wouldn't be able to do their segments since most of the information in there comes from other sources. They've even done a segment explaining that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq2_wSsDwkQ

It's gotten to the point where I'd rather just read the sources they used for the segments because I'll learn more about the subject and I won't have to deal with the "comedy".

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Borderlands (2, at least) is funnier. >_> I feel like LWT is more of a Borderlands The Presequel level of humour... lol

Incredibly hit or miss.

Yeah, that's annoying as fuck and not funny at all. Sometimes the jokes land really well, but many times it's just... pure cringe.

I don't watch for the comedy, but it couldn't hurt if the humour writing was better.

KFGLxnO.gif

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Holy shit, that trailer

Joeku

Jesus this Sinclair segment is sickening. Fuck every one of these people.

That first one in particular is baffling. "Sit down social justice warrior snowflakes, college is not for babysitting." Firstly, that is clearly just to keep the hackles raised of the old conservative people watching because what fucking college student (or person under 30 period) is watching local news, and secondly it really doesn't say anything. It's just a bunch of buzzwords. Dude is a maniac.

I looked up Sinclair in relation to where I live and jesus fuck, 2 out of the 3 local news stations are Sinclair. As if things couldn't be bad enough politically here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom