• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest data confirms SF Bay Area has highest concentration of marijuana smokers in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ws-how-many-people-are-getting-high-near-you/

Take a bow, San Francisco: The Bay Area is home to the highest concentration of marijuana smokers anywhere in the country, according to new data released Tuesday by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).

Every few years, SAMHSA combines data from the annual National Surveys on Drug Use and Health to derive estimates of monthly marijuana use among Americans age 12 and older. The latest cut of that data, encompassing the years 2012 to 2014, include responses from approximately 204,000 people. That huge sample makes it possible to visualize marijuana use rates with a level of detail not possible with traditional surveys.

Over 15 percent of San Francisco residents age 12 and over use marijuana monthly or more, the highest rate in the country. By contrast, the lowest use rates are in the far south of Texas, where fewer than 4 percent use monthly.

The report finds that nationally, 7.7 percent of people 12 an older — roughly 20.3 million Americans — use marijuana monthly or more. Broadly speaking, marijuana use rates are highest in the Western states and lowest in the South.

Marijuana use rates have become a hot topic since Colorado first opened up its legal marijuana market in 2014, with several other states following suit. But since this data mostly covers the period before 2014, SAMHSA's Hughes says you can't really see many of the effects of legalization here.

Marijuana use in Colorado is relatively high, but it's been that way for quite a while. "There are some states where we see rates on the high end even before legalization," Hughes said.

The map above does potentially illustrate the relationship between marijuana policymaking marijuana use. Different states have had radically different marijuana policies in place for years now, evident in the sometimes stark differences in use rates on either side of a state border.

Look again at the high use rates in Colorado — where marijuana has been decriminalized for some time and medical marijuana has been available for years — compared to the rock-bottom usage across the state line in Kansas. Of course, the causality could run both ways here: states where people are naturally inclined to use more marijuana may end up enacting looser marijuana laws.

The most relaxed attitudes toward marijuana use were found right here in the District of Columbia, in wealthy Ward 3, where the average household income is $253,000 a year. Only 14 percent of Ward 3 residents said there was "great risk of harm" from smoking marijuana monthly. Roughly 1 in 10 Ward 3 residents said they smoked marijuana that often.

By contrast, nearly 50 percent of people living in Miami-Dade county in Florida saw a great risk of harm in regular marijuana use. Roughly 5 percent of Miami-Dade residents smoke monthly.

Again, the causality here could go either way: People with lax attitudes about the risks of marijuana use may be more likely to use it. Or, people living in areas where many of their peers smoke weed may adopt more relaxed attitudes toward the drug.

e5M1UJ7.png

BokehKing

Banned
Well here is to hoping another 8 years of Liberals gets this stuff legalized already. I'm sick of getting harassed by the police for vaping when there is handful of drunks driving past us on the road.

Edit: I should be smarter and just smoke at home, I'm not a teenager anymore and refuse to run from the cops

h1nch

It saddens me that TX is so behind in this area.

I blame our political climate, and law enforcement unions/interest groups.

Viewt

Not surprised. I used to visit SF on a pretty consistent basis, and it felt like NOT smelling weed was the outlier. When people shoot up on the corner while a mom pushes a stroller and no one bats an eye, who the fuck cares about some pot smoke?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Accurate. Last time I was there I lit up like a bonfire.
DMV slowly but surely getting there as well.

BokehKing

Banned
If arrest rates were to be believed NYC should be bright purple and the rest of the map would be stark white.
In Manhattan I don't think cops care if you're smoking weed
if you are white
I remember asking cops for directions during a Yankee parade while having a joint lit. They know you're not going to get violent from smoking weed
again, if you are white, all that logic flies out the window if you're a minority

Eyeron

Higher concentration in Maine than I'd expect. Greater Seattle area must near top of the list. No fucks given here when it comes to blazing in public.

JimiNutz

Banned
Goddamn I wish weed were legal here :(
Is it true that certain tech firms allow people to work high? I knew someone that did something in IT and he was always high haha!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Is it true that certain tech firms allow people to work high? I knew someone that did something in IT and he was always high haha!

less allowed and more laissez faire. If you can still perform your duties to 100% and don't let it become an issue no one really calls you out on it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Really surprised about Louisiana being so light colored. I always assumed it was a popular thing around these parts, though I've never personally partaked.

Saganator

A lot of office jobs in Colorado are pretty lax it seems, unless you have government/security clients, there probably won't be a drug test. I'm high almost everyday at work in the morning and sometimes after lunch, I'm just not an idiot about it. It's also well known in our office that the guy who codes our e-commerce website which processes millions of dollars is high as a kite on a daily basis.

UncleMeat

I guarantee that if nothing is changed at the national level (although I think it eventually will) Oklahoma will be the very last state to legalize. The mj laws here are crazy. They'll say it doesn't happen but technically you could do a year in jail from a single possession charge for any amount.

I guarantee that if nothing is changed at the national level (although I think it eventually will) Oklahoma will be the very last state to legalize. The mj laws here are crazy. They'll say it doesn't happen but technically you could do a year in jail from a single possession charge for any amount.

Second offense for any amount is a felony? The possibility of life imprisonment for sale?

These laws are archaic to say the least. They must really hate black people in OK.

atr0cious

Feels good to be a part of a good statistic for once.

Second offense for any amount is a felony? The possibility of life imprisonment for sale?

These laws are archaic to say the least. They must really hate black people in OK.

One of the largest KKK compound in the nation is in Guthrie. It's no treat getting followed around town by trucks.

The Beard

1 out of every 6.6 people smokes weed in the Bay Area? Wow.

They really need to make it legal. I believe it will be on the ballot this year.

Sadly, it looks like the Massachusetts ballot initiative to legalize marijuana is going to fail this November. Had momentum earlier this year, but the tide swung over the last 2 or 3 months.

atr0cious

All you had to do was Skype with a Dr.? Teach me.

Every spot is different. I used to go to one with actual doctors over here in Oakland off telegraph, but its always super full, and takes too long. This new one over on international literally skypes you into a doctor. One time the doctor was literally on his phone while driving and we got cut off half way through because he went in a tunnel. Still got mine. My partner got hers recently and said they couldn't get the skype to work, lol. This shit needs to be legalized years ago.

is 420recs.com legit?

apparently on Reddit they just call you and it's $40

I think so. A friend recommended a website renewal and she said the same thing, was thinking of trying it. Apparently, you just take pictures of your ID, text it to them, and they mail you your stuff.

Word, my renewal is on the 15 of November, you think they can ratify the bill before then so I don't have to skype with a doctor again?

Doubt it, it'll be at least a year before you'll be able to buy without a card based off of other states. Medical prices are usually cheaper than recreational, so you should keep the card.

We need those sweet tax dollars though. There is hundreds of millions just waiting to be had.

Medical is still taxed.

atr0cious

Doubt it, it'll be at least a year before you'll be able to buy without a card based off of other states. Medical prices are usually cheaper than recreational, so you should keep the card.

Good point. If it's legalized, think I can get it covered by Obamacare?

KingKong

I checked the HSA I have and they specifically mention that it cannot be used with Marijuana purchases. I'd be surprised if Obamacare is any different. :(

I believe its not covered by insurance because its a schedule 1 drug, so if its legalized nationally that might change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom