• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest EDGE Scores (MGS4, LostWinds, Haze etc)

Farnack

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
The entire game is reported to take 29 hours to finish. About 9 hours is reported to be cut scenes, that leaves 20 hours of just gameplay. If we assume that the longest cut scenes are the intro/epilogue, then gameplay is intervened by 6 hours of cut scenes (20 + 6). The cut scenes are reported to be rather far from each other (one every hour or so).
The evolution of pixel counters.

Cut scene counters.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
CrapSandwich said:
If we adjust the current scores to account for the (alleged) pro-UK bias, it would put Grid at 88.8%...

so it still makes GRiD a 9 game.

An 8 is a good score anyway, so it doesn't matter to me. It's mine on day one even if it received a 3. I really only use reviews for general information and occasionally use them to determine my game purchases. Yeah, I know it sounds eccentric, but that's the way I am and I am pleased with 98% of my purchases. I think people get too caught up in ratings for games. I was reading a thread about a gamer who will not even look at a game unless it scored a 10 or a 9. That's ridiculous because he is missing out on alot of quality games.

AniHawk

Ynos Yrros said:
The entire game is reported to take 29 hours to finish. About 9 hours is reported to be cut scenes, that leaves 20 hours of just gameplay. If we assume that the longest cut scenes are the intro/epilogue, then gameplay is intervened by 6 hours of cut scenes (20 + 6). The cut scenes are reported to be rather far from each other (one every hour or so).

That's still a long, LONG time.

Things shorter than MGS4's cutscene time:

The Star Wars Original trilogy
The Back to the Future trilogy
The Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy
All four Die Hard films
All four Indiana Jones films
The first four Alien films
Every animated film Disney released in the 1980s

inspired by the 'things younger than John McCain' and the list of what things have taken shorter time than Duke Nukem Forever's development time. Don't take this too seriously

The Lord of the Rings trilogy surpasses it by at least 20 minutes WITHOUT the extended versions, and the Godfather trilogy surpasses it by only 5 minutes.

Exempted

Banned
AniHawk said:
inspired by the 'things older than John McCain' and the list of what things have taken longer than Duke Nukem Forever's development time. Don't take this too seriously
I would assume lots of things are older and took longer than those two things.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Ynos Yrros said:

Is this true? If so, MGS4 is about as long as 1-3 combined...

Also, are there really two 90 minute cutscenes? Sorry to ask, I haven't been paying attention to this thread.

I hope you can save in the middle of a cutscene.

ICallItFutile said:
Is this true? If so, MGS4 is about as long as 1-3 combined...

Also, are there really two 90 minute cutscenes? Sorry to ask, I haven't been paying attention to this thread.

I hope you can save in the middle of a cutscene.
Some sources claim that there are. Edge also says that MGS2 ending lasted 2 hours, so I think they might be ignoring the gameplay intervals if they aren't long enough.

6 hours of cut scenes? This really is from Asia.
Yeah, it's cut scenes are longer than most entire games this gen, 10 ranked games; it's gameplay length puts most games to shame.

I don't really like it when the cut scenes are too long, I think that 10 minutes is the sweet spot if the gameplay is this long.
It's an MGS game, so we can expect to finish the game faster each time we play it, unless we go for higher difficulties.

Exempted said:
Source? If that's true, then it shuts down this argument.
"Nor is it one that seeks to appease the critics, specifically those who lost consciousness during hour two of MGS2's finale".

Maybe the 90 minutes is like what we've seen in the first minutes of gameplay, gamer "playing out" the cut scenes.

As long as it has a "would you like to save" pop up (or something to that effect) before the long cutscenes, I'm fine. But it's not like you guys won't be able to skip it and then fast forward through it on youtube a day after release.

aeolist

Banned
Anything that hasn't been revealed before about Mad World?

Also it looks like MGS4 won't be for me. I hated the previous games and was hoping this one would turn it around but this is the second review from a credible source warning people like me to avoid it.

Ynos Yrros said:
"Nor is it one that seeks to appease the critics, specifically those who lost consciousness during hour two of MGS2's finale".

Maybe the 90 minutes is like what we've seen in the first minutes of gameplay, gamer "playing out" the cut scenes.

finale = final act and not final cinema?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
lips said:
A better question is if Grind is a 9, in what ways does it succeed pgr4 and fm2? It must be thrilling and original and new to impress these guys. All this time I have to listen to how mgo is superior to mgs4 because it will be on xbox 360. please start explaining to me how this is true, aswell.
I disagree. A better question is "What does the reviewer feel a racing game has to do to deserve a 9?" Saying game x is better than y is an opinion, and sometimes comparisons don't even make sense because it's like apples and oranges. If you prefer arcade racers over sim that will affect your choice as well. If you hate racers you will probably hate Grid even if it gets a 9.

That's why I want to see more transparency in reviews. I want to know what his personal top 10 list might look like.

favouriteflavour said:
finale = final act and not final cinema?
I think everyone gets that, the point is that he is grouping it into one thing, and makes a seemingly negative comment about it. What's to say that he isn't doing the same with MGS4 scenes?

If that was the case, then everyone would be clear, there are no cut scenes that are even near 90 minutes long (GamePro, TTP), but some sequences of them are indeed 90 minutes long (Edge,kotaku).

futnownarcade said:
It should be longer than three movies worth. How many hours of Battlestar Galactica can you get for $60?
This isn't a fair comparison and you know it.

Metal Gear Solid 4 has nothing to match up with the awesomeness of Edward James Olmos.

lips

SapientWolf said:
I disagree. A better question is "What does the reviewer feel a racing game has to do to deserve a 9?" Saying game x is better than y is an opinion, and sometimes comparisons don't even make sense because it's like apples and oranges. If you prefer arcade racers over sim that will affect your choice as well. If you hate racers you will probably hate Grid even if it gets a 9.

That's why I want to see more transparency in reviews. I want to know what his personal top 10 list might look like.

Is this game like apples and oranges to other notable racers? I am seriously intrigued.

Ynos Yrros said:
Germany is in Europe, all the info I posted is from European magazines. I think that different NDAs for different publications is pushing it.

who in the hell do you think reasonable posters on this board should believe given what konami has done concerning mgs4 reviews?

jdnation

Banned
Maybe it's just like "this car game is a 9 compared overall to other car games. NOT other genres of games like Zelda or MGS4, only car racing games!"

The two aren't being compared to each other but numerically scored in their own category.

Lightning

Banned
A game like MGS4 was never going to please everyone. MGS2 and MGS3 didn't and neither will MGS4 so why does anyone give a damn about what edge give?

Seriously, reviews are made out to be more than they really are. They don't translate to sales and their primary use on the internet seems to be promote silly arguments. The biggest thing I've taken from the reviews I've read is that MGS4's gameplay is awesome and that's all I wanted to hear. The story was always going to piss certain people off as it actually requires one to use their brains to understand it and many don't seem to like that idea.

AniHawk

Lightning said:
The story was always going to piss certain people off as it actually requires one to use their brains to understand it and many don't seem to like that idea.

I like MGS, but the reason people don't like the story isn't because it's too complex for them, but because it's too convoluted.

AniHawk said:
I like MGS, but the reason people don't like the story isn't because it's too complex for them, but because it's too convoluted.
Exactly. I can understand pre-ripped jeans and a consciousness that forms in the basement of the White House just fine. I still think it's fucking retarded.

There's also the fact that the real hero of MGS2 is Solidus, and the game forces you to kill him. If I had the option, I would help him carry out his plan, no question about it.

Lightning

Banned
AniHawk said:
Possible but with many it's also a complete lack of understanding. Especially when one gets frustrated with the dialogue and starts skipping it. I done that with MGS2 and in the end had to ask a friend what was said in order to understand the ending. :lol

Firestorm

AniHawk said:
Yeah. MGS2 mostly. I didn't find the other games in the series to be too bad.

There's no way in hell the game is 26 hours. It'll be 20 hours max, including cutscenes. It better not be any longer than 20 hours. MGS3 was a good length. MGS2... I think over 6 of the 12 hours I played of that game were cutscenes.

Lightning

Banned
Firestorm said:
There's no way in hell the game is 26 hours. It'll be 20 hours max, including cutscenes. It better not be any longer than 20 hours. MGS3 was a good length. MGS2... I think over 6 of the 12 hours I played of that game were cutscenes.
Cutscenes I don't mind, codec dialogue on the other hand is straight up annoying and got to me in the end with MGS2.

Firestorm

Lightning said:
Cutscenes I don't mind, codec dialogue on the other hand is straight up annoying and got to me in the end with MGS2.
I didn't mind those either. But the ending would not have made sense even if you did listen to everything. They went from "The Matrix" to "The Matrix Reloaded + Revolutions" near the end. Anything even remotely resembling "this is realistic" was thrown out the window. I'm with Green Shinobi in that I think it was retarded.

Antagon

Firestorm said:
I didn't mind those either. But the ending would not have made sense even if you did listen to everything. They went from "The Matrix" to "The Matrix Reloaded + Revolutions" near the end. Anything even remotely resembling "this is realistic" was thrown out the window. I'm with Green Shinobi in that I think it was retarded.

I agree with this. But all the melodrama that was thrown in (especially the stuff between Otacon and Emma) was even worse. So cliched and unnecessary.

SickBoy

ElAlcesDiablo said:
You can download this Edge here free.
You have to register, download a downloader/viewer program and it's kinda slow, but there you go.

Edge should offer subscriptions via a service like this. For the right price I'd consider it since here in Canada, the magazine costs like $14 a pop.

SickBoy said:
Edge should offer subscriptions via a service like this. For the right price I'd consider it since here in Canada, the magazine costs like $14 a pop.

They do. See here. Subscription is £3.08/issue or £4.50 for 1. But it seems to say they charge you monthly and you can cancel whenever, so I don't understand why you'd go for the latter.
It's basically exactly the same price as it is in the UK. Personally I'd rather have a physical copy but it might be a good option for those outside the UK.

antiloop

xaosslug said:
the fuck? Don't these sort of cancel each other out? :lol

"We believe it delivers but it didn't deliver on all the promises."

or something like that maybe? Sounds weird but wth.

Hinomura

SickBoy said:
Each magazine should really think about it!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I bought boom blox, it's a very well done idea. I dunno, I played it and said 'this is a really great idea and works flawlessly'

then just kind of stopped playing it.

ksamedi

catfish said:
I bought boom blox, it's a very well done idea. I dunno, I played it and said 'this is a really great idea and works flawlessly'

then just kind of stopped playing it.

Same happened to me, I initially liked it then got bored prtty quick. Its a crappy game really. I would love to see an advanture game with those mechanics though, that would be awsome.

elbkhm

SickBoy said:
You can pick up a subcription to the paper magazine here for $75 USD/year. Not a bad price, certainly better than what Chapters charges :D

SickBoy

elbkhm said:
You can pick up a subcription to the paper magazine here for $75 USD/year. Not a bad price, certainly better than what Chapters charges :D

They ship to Canada? Nice. I've thought about subscribing before, but the rate in the magazine is some massive amount. So digital seemed like the way to go, but like most people I'd prefer to have a physical copy in my hands.

Top Bottom