• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Xbox One Update releases to Insiders Today (Fluent Design)

Colbert

Banned
Don't you have to say "Hey Cortana Xbox on"? I dunno I turned Cortana off, it didn't work as well for me.

It never worked for me as in Germany you can't use Cortana in our language profile which is a shame.

Btw I understand there are different tastes of UI out there but have the people noticed if they don't like the new design (not Home Screen but the Guide) that the new Guide is the nearest thing we had so far similar to the old 360 Guide?

I say that because with the 360 Guide you also had that extra step to browse through your friends and messages. Just saying.

Jumeira

Banned
Facebook and PSN beg to differ, or are those over complicated? Followers and friends should be two separate things.

If what you say above is true then it seems bolted on due to legacy system already in place. And I really wouldn't like to use PSN as a template for account and friends, MS have traditionally led the way here (PSN used 360 as a blueprint, now they added followers) and should continue to.

leeh

Btw I understand there are different tastes of UI out there but have the people noticed if they don't like the new design (not Home Screen but the Guide) that the new Guide is the nearest thing we had so far similar to the old 360 Guide?

I say that because with the 360 Guide you also had that extra step to browse through your friends and messages. Just saying.
First thing I thought when I looked at it. I'm presuming they've done that purely for speed purposes so it doesn't have to pull as much data on load.

Alx

Don't you have to say "Hey Cortana Xbox on"? I dunno I turned Cortana off, it didn't work as well for me.

Indeed, but that doesn't work any more, while it was one of the few improvements Cortana had on regular Xbox commands. "Hey Cortana" registers (kinect lights up), so I guess it's still active, only it doesn't recognize the "on" command.

Colbert

Banned
First thing I thought when I looked at it. I'm presuming they've done that purely for speed purposes so it doesn't have to pull as much data on load.

Yes indeed. And even Mike Ybarra confirmed that just yesterday in a podcast with Jez Corden (at least from my understanding listening to the podcast while doing other things).

I had installed the preview Monday night on my Xbox S and played around with it before shutting it down. My power settings are on "Power Saving" so it's supposed to shut down all the way. (We have had a lot of power outages lately due to construction down the road). When I went to turn on my Xbox last night it would make the chime sound but the light wouldn't come on and it didn't power up. When I went to check it out it was VERY warm to the touch. Like it was on but the fan wasn't running. Holding in the button on the console did nothing so I pulled the plug. After this it booted up normally and seemed to work OK. I changed my power settings to "Instant On" and so far it appears to be working normally. Whether this was related to those settings or a one-time glitch I do not know. I haven't reported it because I'm not 100% sure what happened.

I used the new Transfer option last night to move some things around and it's pretty cool. A lot easier than the old method of doing it one at a time. However, after the transfer, it said that I had like 102599125.3 TB of files selected. First, I don't have that much hard drive space, and second, nothing was selected at that point. I reported this with a screenshot.

I also checked out the Dolby Atmos support. Pretty neat. The Dolby app you use to set it up and run the test clips is buggy as hell and often leaves you in a black screen (press B to return) but the demos are cool and the 5min Pacific Rim clip they ask you to test in the Insider app is pretty awesome with 4K/HDR/Atmos support. Last night was the first time I had actually used the Atmos support on my receiver so I was glad everything worked.

This is the first alpha that's really felt like one to me. Last night I ran into the following problems:

- Network tests showed me having 150+ Mbps. Battlefield 1 from EA Access was downloading at a snail's pace. Like 416 kB/s. A hard reset got me back to speeds in the 140+ Mbps.
- Clicking on the store link in the guide was just taking me to the home page.
- Pressing RT on the home page seemed to bring me to different sections below - once it was my pins, then it was the Games With Gold block.
- Could not report feedback until hard resetting the xbox.
- Well, that's not true, about an hour after trying to report feedback unsuccessfully, in the middle of a game of Injustice 2, the report a problem form popped up, seemingly massively delayed from when I tried ages ago.
- Had Injustice 2 crash on me twice, despite never doing that before.
- Had a prompt to update Groove Music, but clicking on update never triggered the update. After trying a few times, the pop up menu to update stayed on the screen but my dpad/analog sticks were controlling the navigation BEHIND the popup.
- The icon for pins wasn't showing up.
- The blocks that I had previously deleted (Games With Gold/Suggested Games/Game Pass) returned and editing them once again caused hard crashes to a black screen.

This morning it seemed considerably smoother, but I was still having some very weird download speed discrepancies when trying to update another app.

Looking forward to the next update, which will hopefully smooth out most of these bugs. I've probably reported 15-20 crashes/bugs/broken links through the system so far. Eep.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I was bored so had a go at combining the bits I like from the current dash with the new one

xbox4gms48.png

for comparison

I was bored so had a go at combining the bits I like from the current dash with the new one
Someone mocked one up for reddit too...
One of the things I like most about it (though not all of it), is that there is place immediately on the home splash page for pins (instead of having to scroll down for it). I would actually prefer "recently opened" to be customizable to a full other row of pins instead, personally, but understand why there'd be a push for recently opened.

I do like that your version brings "friends playing" to the fore instead of using that space for clubs or suggested friends or whatever.

Anywho, I guess what I'm starting to realize is there are aspects I like and dislike about the current dash and the alpha dash, but one consistent thing is the ability to customize what I immediately have access to is among the most important features for me, and that's something that isn't really present in either.

ViciousDS

Banned
Etta posting all the picS makes me want to jump back into early access......damn....I don't want an update everyday though!!!!!!!!!!

I am in phase 1 though if I do opt back in.....hm, decisions

for comparison

You should post those on their insider forums and uservoice, much better. I also have some ideas in terms of the pinning customization. Maybe I'll work on a mockup as well this weekend.

Chris1

Just noticed achievements in the notifications has just a default trophy pic. IIRC it used to have the achievement art for it

I can't imagine changing that making the UI that much faster, so add that to the long list of changes in this update I don't like. I know it's only a small thing but honestly achievement art is one of the best things they've done with achievements this gen IMO, for it to be ignored like that kind of annoys me just like when games have all the same icons over and over

Theorry

I still dont get that suggested friends. Nobody is using that.
Promote LFG there. Most likely you find new friends also there and it promotes LFG.

for comparison

This one is good. And realistically possible.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I think this is the most negative feedback they’ve gotten for a dashboard yet, it’s probably going to change a lot until November.
I just pray they keep the cursor glow, I love it.

Theorry

I think this is the most negative feedback they’ve gotten for a dashboard yet, it’s probably going to change a lot until November.
I just pray they keep the cursor glow, I love it.

Yeah this is the first time the majority doesnt like it and has been vocal. That probably sends a message it isnt really good instead of preference etc.

EvB

Exactly. Who ever wants to be recommended random contextless gamertags?

They aren't random though, they are attached to your facebook friends, and your friend's friends.

That box is also a dynamic box and changes between different things. I've seen it displaying downloads, showing me if anybody on my friends list is playing a joinable game or if a broadcast is happening.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yeah this is the first time the majority doesnt like it and has been vocal. That probably sends a message it isnt really good instead of preference etc.
Yea, those r/xboxone threads even brought in Major Nelson.
It will definitely change, and it should, they butchered the Pins section and the way Home looks. I’m fine with the Guide, I like the cards design.

Alx

They aren't random though, they are attached to your facebook friends, and your friend's friends.

That box is also a dynamic box and changes between different things. I've seen it displaying downloads, showing me if anybody on my friends list is playing a joinable game or if a broadcast is happening.

Hopefully we'll be able to filter such suggestions. I'm fine with seeing what my friends are doing or if someone is looking for a game, but I don't care about new friends suggestions.

Synth

Yea, to be fair I know better.

I still think it's basically useless though. I don't necessarily mind it sitting in the Friends tab in the guide, but it's certainly not something I believe is useful enough to ever really justify itself taking up the very limited space we have on the home menu, when there are so many great features like clubs and LFG that struggle for exposure because they mostly sit a few layers deep.

Friends of friends on a service where people are following up to 1000 other players isn't likely to result in many useful suggestions, and you have stuff like "Popular Broadcaster: Friday the 13th"... as though I ever even once signalled any interest in that game. Make it so it'll find me other people that regular play classic Sega titles (and not just people that played it once before returning to Battlefield 1) and then I may see some real value in it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yea, to be fair I know better.

I still think it's basically useless though. I don't necessarily mind it sitting in the Friends tab in the guide, but it's certainly not something I believe is useful enough to ever really justify itself taking up the very limited space we have on the home menu, when there are so many great features like clubs and LFG that struggle for exposure because they mostly sit a few layers deep.

Friends of friends on a service where people are following up to 1000 other players isn't likely to result in many useful suggestions, and you have stuff like "Popular Broadcaster: Friday the 13th"... as though I ever even once signalled any interest in that game. Make it so it'll find me other people that regular play classic Sega titles (and not just people that played it once before returning to Battlefield 1) and then I may see some real value in it.
Yea their suggestions are about as accurate as the ads when you browse the internet. “Hey we found in your cookies you wanted to purchase some Sennheiser headphones, have a penis enlargement trick!”

Synth

Yea their suggestions are about as accurate as the ads when you browse the internet. “Hey we found in your cookies you wanted to purchase some Sennheiser headphones, have a penis enlargement trick!”

Amazon: "Thanks for purchasing a new $3000 OLED television yesterday. Maybe you'd be interested in purchasing these other five $3000 OLED televisions?"

Caayn

Amazon: "Thanks for purchasing a new $3000 OLED television yesterday. Maybe you'd be interested in purchasing these other five $3000 OLED televisions?"
That's basically the ads I get recommended ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. They might as well advertise literal shit.

The friends recommendation to me is a waste of space. There's so much more relevant info that could be put in that spot. Friends currently playing the same game, download/install progress, unread messages, etc.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Hah yea I got the same after getting a new TV, they recommended more TVs :/

Majine

Banned
Microsoft needs to realize that constantly changing the user interface like this is in itself, a bad user experience.

JlNX

Microsoft needs to realize that constantly changing the user interface like this is in itself, a bad user experience.

Well thats why Mike Ybarra himself has said this is the last revision as they have got the platform to were they want it to be, now they just have to adjust it to feedback. He said going forward the team will be focused on implementing new features and just tweaks here and there for the dash.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well thats why Mike Ybarra himself has said this is the last revision as they have got the platform to were they want it to be, now they just have to adjust it to feedback. He said going forward the team will be focused on implementing new features and just tweaks here and there for the dash.
But the community doesn’t approve of this yet.
I think they do need to find one good design and settle on it instead of a mass restructure on a yearly basis.

.la1n

But the community doesn't approve of this yet.
I think they do need to find one good design and settle on it instead of a mass restructure on a yearly basis.

It's almost as if they've hired a huge team to manage only UI. If they don't do revisions they don't eat :(

JoeLT

for comparison
This is fantastic and wish we got something along these lines.

Honestly there hasn't been even a single decent one posted on Reddit. Every one has looked horrible from a usability standpoint. People just like them because they're visually pleasing, and of course people always show of their designs with a great wallpaper picked out for the design.

That's basically the ads I get recommended ¯_(ツ)_/¯. They might as well advertise literal shit.

The friends recommendation to me is a waste of space. There's so much more relevant info that could be put in that spot. Friends currently playing the same game, download/install progress, unread messages, etc.
It does show that tho. That spot is dynamic.

When I downloaded BF1 yesterday it showed friends that were playing BF1 and gave me the option to join them.

Its not just a recommended friends slot.

JlNX

But the community doesn’t approve of this yet.

He meant from a platform standpoint, as in backend. I also put in my post "adjust to feedback", so they will shape the dash between now and November based on what people say and what ships will be what they stick with going forward. This is obviously a early build coming in hot that is nowhere near fully implemented, especially in terms of current internal MS design principles.

Wedzi

Banned

I like this a lot. Now if I can just pin my apps right next to/below that bottom row with very little wasted space it would be perfect.

I've also noticed the Xbox One subreddit hasn't been too happy with the new dashboard and there has been a few mock ups made. (this actually might be the most divisive update yet from what I've seen)

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/6syemm/minimal_xbox_one_dash_mockup_because_i_hate_the/
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/6t22yo/dashboard_mockup_other_interpretation_of_fluent/
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/6t2ps9/xbox_fluent_design_concept_revised_version/

Amateur of course but it's interesting to see the responses to all of them.

Figments

I like this a lot. Now if I can just pin my apps right next to/below that bottom row with very little wasted space it would be perfect.

I've also noticed the Xbox One subreddit hasn't been too happy with the new dashboard and there has been a few mock ups made. (this actually might be the most divisive update yet from what I've seen)

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/6syemm/minimal_xbox_one_dash_mockup_because_i_hate_the/

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/6t22yo/dashboard_mockup_other_interpretation_of_fluent/

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/6t2ps9/xbox_fluent_design_concept_revised_version/

Amateur of course but it's interesting to see the responses to all of them.

The last one is what I like.

UltraJay

Yes i did. Ads are gone? I see them on main screen they take like 50% of information displayed there. Community tab is one huge ad itself.

kL2OJVk.png

Don't even bring the Games With Gold tab into this. That's a direct link to download those games every month and I use it ALL THE TIME. On PlayStation I have to go at least 3 menus deep I believe (Home page > PS Plus > Free Games). Not to mention I have to use the website specifically to see the PS3 and Vita games as PS4 will only show me PS4 games.

Top Bottom