• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Xbox One Update releases to Insiders Today (Fluent Design)

Justinh

The more pins the better, I feel. I'd like it if I didn't have to pick and choose what I pinned so I don't have to dig in Games and Apps as often.

How do I take a screenshot of the home and games menu? The prompt isn't showing up anymore.

I don't think I've ever been able to screenshot the home page. I've just streamed it to PC and took a screenshot there if I needed to for something.

DomLando

Any reason why I didn't get the latest dash update? I been in the preview program since it started.

A couple of my friends that I invited to the program when you could do that got the update but I did not.

Anybody else getting the very frequent crackling audio via headphones plugged into a controller? I get it so often when major alpha preview builds come out and makes it impossible to watch media content through YT or Netflix for a bit, usually games work pretty well but it's been acting up. Usually need to reset the whole system but sometimes that doesn't help, I have a long audio cord from the tv but the quality is rather lacking.

Effects all my controllers and headphones as well, even using the adapter.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Anybody else getting the very frequent crackling audio via headphones plugged into a controller? I get it so often when major alpha preview builds come out and makes it impossible to watch media content through YT or Netflix for a bit, usually games work pretty well but it's been acting up. Usually need to reset the whole system but sometimes that doesn't help, I have a long audio cord from the tv but the quality is rather lacking.

I noticed some audio issues recently.

I *think* that the upcoming 40 Pin limit is 10 more than it used to be? Can anyone remember/confirm?

The last major updates increased it to about 30 and this recent one cut it down quite a bit. However I would like to know to people really take advantage of pins ever so often? I fine myself just using the recently played tab more and the old way of just scrolling down getting to the pins in the guide was way faster.

Electret

YES

I'm not in the preview program - still have the regular UI, but it started about 2 weeks ago. Wasn't there an update around then? It's not just audio, either - controller connectivity has been behaving strangely. A few times I've been unable to start the console with the controller; it just pulsates trying to establish a connection.

Raide

Are people liking it so far? I am insider but not alpha.

Takes a while to adjust to something new again but the speed at which the dash moves is great. Having quicker access to some things that might take a few menus deeper is nice.

Still plenty of work but they are on the right track.

Are people liking it so far? I am insider but not alpha.

I like it. Even faster than before and except for the new default home layout (and the pins which they are fixing) everything is much better.

The new guide is amazing, dunno why people are complaining about one extra tap when it moves so fast, and can handle more content better too.

Hexer06

So glad they're boosting the pin count to 40. Can't wait to see all the fixes they make to the dashboard by the time it's released.

The last major updates increased it to about 30 and this recent one cut it down quite a bit. However I would like to know to people really take advantage of pins ever so often? I fine myself just using the recently played tab more and the old way of just scrolling down getting to the pins in the guide was way faster.
I do. I had all 30 pins used up last time. The first row was all media apps (Netflix, Plex, Crave, Youtube, Twitch, IGN, etc.), the second row was the major games I was playing at any point, or games that I hadn't gotten around to yet, 3rd and 4th rows were dedicated to smaller games that were good for quick games when I didn't have much gaming time. Things like Divekick, Rocket League, Videoball, Jackbox, Magic Duels, etc. The kind of games that, for me, aren't top of mind, and I don't play often, but I like reminding myself I have them easily and visually, so that when friends are over or when I don't have much time, I can quickly jump into something.

Justinh

Any reason why I didn't get the latest dash update? I been in the preview program since it started.

A couple of my friends that I invited to the program when you could do that got the update but I did not.

I think it depends on which group you are in. I'm in Beta group and I haven't gotten this update either. I think this is just for Alpha testers for now (judging from OP).

Takes a while to adjust to something new again but the speed at which the dash moves is great. Having quicker access to some things that might take a few menus deeper is nice.

Still plenty of work but they are on the right track.

I like it. Even faster than before and except for the new default home layout (and the pins which they are fixing) everything is much better.

The new guide is amazing, dunno why people are complaining about one extra tap when it moves so fast, and can handle more content better too.

That sounds good to me. But goddamn, MS keeps changing the dashboard don't they? I mean it feels like it was only shortly ago that they changed how the guide button works and made it much faster and now they're bringing quite some drastic changes again. But if it's great, great. :)

vg260

Let me fill tbe entire 2nd screen with pins.

Also the huge game title text in the screen center is so ugly.

arhra

I like a lot of what they've done with the Guide, but Friends being buried in a submenu means you can't scroll over and quickly glance to see if one of your favourites is online/what they're doing. On the other hand, it being in the submenu means you no longer have to navigate past all the other fluff to actually get to your friends to invite them or whatever (because now that can all be below the friends list).

I think they could probably split the difference there by just showing more info in the menu item that opens the full list - rather than just gamerpics, show the full info for your top 5 friends, but keep it a single item that opens the submenu for the full listing.

Bsigg12

I like a lot of what they've done with the Guide, but Friends being buried in a submenu means you can't scroll over and quickly glance to see if one of your favourites is online/what they're doing. On the other hand, it being in the submenu means you no longer have to navigate past all the other fluff to actually get to your friends to invite them or whatever (because now that can all be below the friends list).

I think they could probably split the difference there by just showing more info in the menu item that opens the full list - rather than just gamerpics, show the full info for your top 5 friends, but keep it a single item that opens the submenu for the full listing.

I do think if you press the guide button then press left once, you should be able to see friends online without needing to button in further. Favorites should always take priority.

I do think if you press the guide button then press left once, you should be able to see friends online without needing to button in further. Favorites should always take priority.
Exactly. I have 100+ friends, but only about 6 favourites that I will drop what I'm doing to play with. Having quicker access to see these is my biggest priority on that tab of the guide.

Lom1lo

I Just want to customize the tiles on the homescreen, I hate those friend suggestions and one Advertisement tile is enough I dont need a second

Raide

I Just want to customize the tiles on the homescreen, I hate those friend suggestions and one Advertisement tile is enough I dont need a second

It's nice to be able to put pins right at the top but I would love to be able to drop the first bar at the top. I don't want group suggestions etc. If I wanted them, I will look for them.

EvB

I had loads of that with the last preview dashes when they introduced Dolby atmos. It went away, I’ve not had any yet.

JoeLT

I'm so keen for the light mode, the pin change is nice. Still want that to work the same way as the Windows 10 Start menu. Let me completely customise my Pins!

Most of my biggest complaints with the Alpha dash are being responded to:
- 40 pins instead of 19 (I can pin all my media apps, my party games, and my "still to play" games and still have space for some classics.
- The guide is very quick to get to "My Games And Apps" - it used to be quicker to get to the store from the guide.
- The light mode gives it a really fresh look.

Really, the last major pieces I'm looking for are:
- the Home Screen re-tooling, because it gives such a bad first impression. Ideally it would allow for complete customization od rilwa, and not algorithm-based suggestions, which would take care of all of my complaints. But even if it doesn't go that far, I'm hoping you can customize what algorithms make it to the front page. Even if it cycles through, I'd like to be able to disable things like Friend Suggetsions and Club-activity in favour of things based on what my Favourited friends are up to.
- the guide giving instant access to Favourited friends without having to go an extra menu deep
- easier access to notifications

(And still hoping that the PiP, Gifting and "Wish List" features will be added soon)

etta

my hard graphic balls
I remember you wanting a light theme Etta :) did you get what you envisioned?
Looks good so far. The closer we get to this the better.

xbox-windows-8-metro-ui-5240616.jpg

Man that was peak Xbox for me, I remember that holiday season, so joyous and playful.

nillapuddin

So the standard (dark) mode will now be like gray it seems?

I really wish we could have it black (because I have an oled tv and I think its cool when its super dark) and I wish that weird dumb gray accent bar on the home tab could be made completetly transparent, no me gusta

update to pins is fantastic tho, much needed my goodness

ViciousDS

Banned
So the standard (dark) mode will now be like gray it seems?

I really wish we could have it black (because I have an oled tv and I think its cool when its super dark) and I wish that weird dumb gray accent bar on the home tab could be made completetly transparent, no me gusta

update to pins is fantastic tho, much needed my goodness

I feel you on the oled

Love when backgrounds are black and it's just so awesome to witness

I really like the glow to the user selected highlighter. It makes it feel much more modern and tangible in a way every XB1 UI hasnt. Its always felt so flat. Making it much more bold and tangible is a step in the right direction. Even the shadows on the old 360 dashboard picture above feels much more modern.

MaulerX

Is anyone else having an issue with not being able to access their games even when online? It keeps telling me that I need to be online or set the Xbox as my home console (this is on my second Xbox at home and I've always been able to play my games while online with my account). I sure I'm online because I can stream from Mixer etc... Tried a hard reboot and nothing. Not sure if it's a preview bug or a local issue with my Xbox.

JaggedSac

Is anyone else having an issue with not being able to access their games even when online? It keeps telling me that I need to be online or set the Xbox as my home console (this is on my second Xbox at home and I've always been able to play my games while online with my account). I sure I'm online because I can stream from Mixer etc... Tried a hard reboot and nothing. Not sure if it's a preview bug or a local issue with my Xbox.

I can't launch my games but it doesn't say anything about needing to be online. Just kicks me back to dash after the loading splash screen for every single game I try.

Ok so it's not just me, I was freaking out a little.

Bsigg12

I can't launch my games but it doesn't say anything about needing to be online. Just kicks me back to dash after the loading splash screen for every single game I try.

Ok so I'm not alone. It's doing the same for me now. Ughh.

The only thing I can't get to launch currently is Microsoft Edge. Everything else just crashes back to the home screen.

Top Bottom