• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Xbox One Update releases to Insiders Today (Fluent Design)

Bsigg12

Don't know, notes are out yet. Major just teased those two things on Twitter.

Release notes

NEW FEATURES:
• Languages
Right-to-left language support for Arabic and Hebrew, which means you can now change your console language to select right-to-left languages in the Xbox settings menu. Arabic and Hebrew language support will be enabled for Preview Alpha 8/31 @ 1:00 AM PDT. Note there is a known issue which affects the sign-in screen when signing in with a Microsoft account e-mail address (see KNOWN ISSUES below for details).

• Pins
The Pin block on Home, as well as the pins flyout in the new Guide now support 40 pins.

• Home
• The two discovery slots next to the resume tile show more relevant content, have clearer descriptions, visual improvements and we’ve given you the ability to influence what is being presented via the upvote/downvote in the context menu.
• It’s easier to see your custom background images on Home.

• Mixer
The Broadcast tab in the guide is redesigned and includes more info about your Mixer account including Level, Sparks, Total Views, Mixer channel pic, and more. Mixer broadcasters can now broadcast at up to 1080p. No need to change anything in settings, when you start the broadcast we automatically check your bandwidth to optimize quality.

• Guide
• Active parties and broadcasting sessions are now easier to manage than ever. Similar to background audio, active party and broadcast management now show up on the Guide landing page for quicker and easier access.
• Tournaments are now easier to find via Guide under the Multiplayer tab.

• Game Hub
Going to the Game Hub for your favorite games now takes you to the new Game Hub Welcome tab. The Welcome tab features a summary of all the great content around the game in one page. See what achievements you’re closest to, which friends are playing, popular community content and more.

• General
Navigation is clearer with new visual updates that include showing you a peek at what’s below Home, making the focus rectangle more visible in the Guide, and more.

FIXES:
• Home
• Fixed an issue which caused Home customizations to disappear after a console reboot.
• Fixed an issue which sometimes caused a console crash when adding or removing content blocks.
• Numerous small fixes and performance improvements for Home and the dashboard.

• Games & Apps
• Fixed issues which sometimes prevented games and apps from launching.
• Fixed an issue which sometimes prevented games and apps from transferring between hard drives.

KNOWN ISSUES:
• Sign-in
When using Arabic or Hebrew language and signing in with a profile using the “Lock it down” security preference, the sign-in screen which requests Microsoft account e-mail address and password is distorted. This does not affect the profile if it is set to use the “Ask for my passkey” or “No barriers” security preferences.
Workaround: Set the console to use another language, sign-in, and set the profile’s security preference to “Ask for my passkey” or “No barriers”. Alternatively, you can still type in your password as normal using the virtual keyboard though the screen is distorted.

• Netflix
When using Hebrew language, Netflix fails to launch.

• Pins
Users in Preview Alpha who do not already have the Pins block added to Home, will need to add via the bottom of the Pins flyout in the Guide.

• Movies & TV
Fast forward, rewind, and other media controls may not function.

• 4K UHD Playback
When playing 4K or UHD content, you may encounter periodic crashes or black screens. This occurs with multiple apps which support 4K and UHD content including Movies & TV and VUDU.

• Minecraft Better Together Beta
Other games fail to launch after launching the Minecraft Beta.
Workaround: This occurs if the Minecraft Beta is the first game launched after powering on the console; launch another game before Minecraft to avoid this issue. If you are stuck in this state, hard reset your console.

• Blu-Ray Player
3D Blu-Ray content plays in 2D.

• Game Hub
Game Hub isn’t accurately tracking Gamerscore and achievement unlocks for certain games.

Bsigg12

I don't see light theme mode wtf

Noticed that as well. It must have not been ready for this build which sucks. We'll have to dig around once we get it to see if they put it in since features sometimes not being detailed seems to happen occasionally in these builds.

Yeah, as Bsigg mentioned stuff in new builds is often not in the notes, so it's always worth checking around the builds once you have it.

Ybarra is going to do to a Mixer stream walkthrough of it at 5:30 (in ~25 minutes of this post).

borges

Banned
Theres some things MS is doing SO GREAT this generation. Couple of weeks ago users were complaining that number of pins needed to expanded. Bam! new build and thing is there. That direct user to product developer feedback is awesome.

No light theme, but 40 pins is so nice ^^

They made the home screen a little prettier too. with a nice animation scaling the icon up. I think the first one might be super early, they might deliver a great looking home by the time they are done.

And not even sure if it was possible, but this dash feels even faster than before.

There's something I just realized though. There's no way to arrange the pins from the console anymore. The xbox app have that functionality or do we have to go back to smartglass?

They made the home screen a little prettier too. with a nice animation scaling the icon up. I think the first one might be super early, they might deliver a great looking home by the time they are done.

And not even sure if it was possible, but this dash feels even faster than before.

There's something I just realized though. There's no way to arrange the pins from the console anymore. The xbox app have that functionality or do we have to go back to smartglass?

You can rearrange them from the guide.

etta

my hard graphic balls
40 pins is so ood but they are so tiny.
4K UI and artwork on the X will alleviate that issue hopefully.

Just updated

Viewing custom wallpaper is a lot better

The changes to the welcome page on the game hubs...why?? They look a mess now. Sometimes I wonder if they do these sort of things on purpose to fix later on to look busy. Why do you need to see Achievements on the welcome page when they just a click to the right?

It's these little things that add up that irk me with these guys. Not saying it's a big deal but I really don't see any improvement there.

They took out the option to arrange the pins from the guide pin tab? That's how I was doing it in the first build. I think it was the Y button.

muzzymate

Unable to make a thread but this is good news

kommt.jpg

Off topic, but is the HDMI-In port on the Xbox One X HDMI2.0 compatible? Has there been any word about the capabilities of the TV In capabilities thru the OneGuide app. I know the Xbox One S is limited to 1080P and won't accept a 4K video and display it out.

Back on topic, I just saw that Mike Ybarra did a walk through of the updated build. Is there a way to replay that?

Bsigg12

Off topic, but is the HDMI-In port on the Xbox One X HDMI2.0 compatible? Has there been any word about the capabilities of the TV In capabilities thru the OneGuide app. I know the Xbox One S is limited to 1080P and won't accept a 4K video and display it out.

Back on topic, I just saw that Mike Ybarra did a walk through of the updated build. Is there a way to replay that?

I believe it was just a 1.4 port still which sucks because it won't be able to pass through 4K content.

I believe it was just a 1.4 port still which sucks because it won't be able to pass through 4K content.

They confirmed the X won't pass through 4k either. Pretty big oversight actually. Pushing a 4k premium console that can't pass through 4k. No better than the PSVR not passing through HDR so you need to unplug it to play games in HDR.

muzzymate

Thanks for the response @BSigg12 & @SimpleCRIPPLE, even though I'm not pleased with the answer, though now I don't need to upgrade to the TiVo Bolt I suppose. Will probably cancel my preorder for the X then, since at the moment 4K gaming doesn't interest me. More interested in HDR then 4K and the S I have already does that very nicely.

Edit: Found several sources confirming. Preorder officially canceled. I'll pick it up when it gets to a more main-stream price point.

Vinc

I hope the X supports HDMI-CEC this time. If it doesn't, I'll seriously pretty much be turned off buying it altogether.

Does it still have the built-in IR blaster?

I have a weird bug, none of my apps or games are showing as installed in the library or store. But if I try to open them from a pin they open fine.
You can rearrange them from the guide.
Oh I see. Apparently the giant pins buttons allows you to rearrange them too.

I hope the X supports HDMI-CEC this time. If it doesn't, I'll seriously pretty much be turned off buying it altogether.

Does it still have the built-in IR blaster?

Yeah. the videos/mockups show the IR blaster port. Since it has the HDMI pass through, they One Guide features are still important to MS and the IR blaster is integral to that since Kinect didn't last.

Just updated

Viewing custom wallpaper is a lot better

The changes to the welcome page on the game hubs...why?? They look a mess now. Sometimes I wonder if they do these sort of things on purpose to fix later on to look busy. Why do you need to see Achievements on the welcome page when they just a click to the right?

It's these little things that add up that irk me with these guys. Not saying it's a big deal but I really don't see any improvement there.
The update is supposed to come out in October. I guess it's just super early in these builds.

muzzymate

What cable/satellite provider is broadcasting channels in 4K? My cable still tops out at 1080i.

DirecTV for one - https://support.directv.com/dtv-programming/4k-events

A TiVo Bolt for example has apps that output 4K contents. Unless absolutely necessary, my wife never touches the Xbox Media Remote and only uses the Tivo's remote. I don't believe the Youtube app on the Xbox does 4k (I'd be happy if I was wrong) but the one on the TiVo Bolt does.

It's a big oversight for me. Enough of an excuse to cancel my Xbox One X preorder, since it won't gain me anything I care about over the S.

It's a big oversight for me. Enough of an excuse to cancel my Xbox One X preorder, since it won't gain me anything I care about over the S.

If you weren't interested in higher framerates, better IQ, and higher resolutions in games, I'm curious why you pre-ordered the X in the first place. The upgrade is entirely game-focused.

These suggestion tiles are still in ? Meh :/

I doubt those will go away, sadly. I think "exposing" clubs, mixer, and other social features seems to be one of the major goals with this update.

You can also rearrange them from the dash. :)

Just hover over a tile and hit the start button (the one with the three lines). Select move pin.

Ahh, you're right. I guess the only thing that disappeared is the Y button functionality from the Home page, because it's now used to edit the blocks.

----------------

The UI polish on the guide in this build is nice. The section header at the top is brightly highlighting and has a "popped out" effect over the other ones. The design of the Home, Games & Apps, Store, and Pins buttons on the Home tab looks much better than before as well.

____

If it's anything like my interaction with any web-based thing ever:

'Show less like this'
'Show less like this''
'Show less like this'
'Show less like this'
'Show less like this'
'Show less like this'
'Show less like this'
'Show less like this'
'Show less like this'
'Show less like this'