• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Xbox One Update releases to Insiders Today (Fluent Design)

What cable/satellite provider is broadcasting channels in 4K? My cable still tops out at 1080i.

Directv already offers a couple channels. Not sure about others.

Source: I have directv and haven't bothered to add the 4k content because I don't want to uncouple my cable box from my xbox.

malfcn

The home is slightly better this build.
Don't know how I feel about the glow.

The welcome and social hubs are okay. Change is change and will feel fine soon enough.

Caayn

If it's anything like my interaction with any web-based thing ever:

'Show less like this'
'Show less like this''
'Show less like this'
'Show less like this'
'Show less like this'
'Show less like this'
'Show less like this'
'Show less like this'
'Show less like this'
'Show less like this'
I'm way past that station and now completely ignore those elements. No matter how many times you give feedback it'll never show anything remotely interesting or useful.

It's a waste of space imo.

Theorry

I'm way past that station and now completely ignore those elements. No matter how many times you give feedback it'll never show anything remotely interesting or useful.

It's a waste of space imo.

I just want LFG and Clubs next to that. Of the game that is currently running.

Alx

I don't think always selecting "show less" would be useful anyway. They probably don't intend to remove it altogether, but prioritize the kind of thing you'd accept on that tile. If everything is a "no", then everything has equal chances of appearing there, and your vote has no effect.

Has anyone come across a type that they'd like in there? So far it's been friend suggestions, Club suggestions, club activity, and telling me what friends are doing. I think I'd much rather them be able to be things like:
- What Favourited friends are doing
- Notifications/Messages
- Twitch streams I'm following that are broadcasting
- News about DLC/updates to games I've played recently

Or new features like being able to add a game to a wishlist and get a message when that game is on sale.

mike4001_

2,35:1 content still has grey bars instead of black ones when playing with the official Media Player App or PLEX (which also uses their internal video player).

Can anyone confirm?

Has anyone come across a type that they'd like in there? So far it's been friend suggestions, Club suggestions, club activity, and telling me what friends are doing. I think I'd much rather them be able to be things like:
- What Favourited friends are doing
- Notifications/Messages
- Twitch streams I'm following that are broadcasting
- News about DLC/updates to games I've played recently

Or new features like being able to add a game to a wishlist and get a message when that game is on sale.

I had it two times where it showed a friend of mine in a party playing the game I last played (Path of Exile). Really liked that, because I went to the party (ended up not playing with them as we were in very different levels, but found a nice feature.

Gek54

This feels so much better, 40 pins! And I do like the glow now. Just need to get rid of the giant pin icon on the left of the pins.

A video on demand version of Mike Ybarra's walkthrough last night of the updated build: https://mixer.com/Qwik?vod=7313489

It's really a shame the little the jewel icons on the left are going away.

Is the video down or am I doing something wrong?

Nm found it on the xbox app. Phone browser doesn't show previous streams?

No fast forward?

I had it two times where it showed a friend of mine in a party playing the game I last played (Path of Exile). Really liked that, because I went to the party (ended up not playing with them as we were in very different levels, but found a nice feature.
Yeah, if the alogirthm could be narrowed down to Favourited Friends and games that I own, that is something I would find useful. So far it's mostly Looking For Groups from people I don't know in games that I don't own (Madden 18), Gamerscore leaderboard and xbox tips like...backwards compatibility. I've clicked "Show Less Like This" a dozen + times on each of those and it seems to just cycle through those options. Really hoping this feature goes a long way from its current state.

Holy shit, the Mixer tab is gone. I only have home, entertainment, and store.

I hope this isn't a bug. F the Mixer tab.

Update: it's back after rebooting.

Damn it.

arhra

I swear my installed and waiting to install numbers keep changing and I don't know why.

Do you have an external drive? There have been some issues on the recent alpha builds with externals being re-indexed on every boot, which causes the games installed on the external to slowly populate into the installed section as it scans the drive and figures out what's there.

So this shit got pushed out to me today and let's just say I'm none too pleased.

Why the hell do they constantly redesign their UI? It's just a series of half baked interfaces and I'm getting pretty sick of it.

So OK, you move your guide left and right to switch tabs. That's not too bad I guess. But the home level is now dicking around in the middle. Needless change. Just keep it on the left and let it wrap around to the other side. I'm not feeling going left to get to the Party tab and Friends. Did this shit really need to be re-ordered?

Speaking of going to Party, instead of getting me all my party status when I move over, there's bullshit there. LFG. Whatever. Shit I don't use. Shit I don't care about. I need to be able to get to my party menu quickly because Xbox parties barely work a lot of the time, and I need to see if I or someone else has a fake network error that is really on Microsoft's end. All that empty space and they get rid of the information that I actually want and dump it onto a subscreen.

And the game DVR, jesus christ is that a minefield. They came up with a pretty solid interface. It was actually quick to record one of the time spans they allow you to choose from. Guide button, Back button, pick the thing you want.

Now instead once again you have to go to another fucking menu to get at what you want. My favorite parts is Guide->x is your 30 second recording. Then Guide->Back puts you highlighted on the record 30 second option. Completely redundant. And if you want anything else you need to scroll down to a menu option with a goofy name which I've already forgotten and only then do you get the options you want.

It's like people who don't even use their fucking Xboxes are just coming up with ideas and implementing them at complete random. I just want something that responds quickly, and lets me develop muscle memory for common tasks. Not a yearly "go fuck yourself".

Do you have an external drive? There have been some issues on the recent alpha builds with externals being re-indexed on every boot, which causes the games installed on the external to slowly populate into the installed section as it scans the drive and figures out what's there.

I can't get my Xbox to boot without doing a hard reset and unplugging my USB drive, and then plugging it back in once the UI is up. Because making the UI worse isn't enough, apparently they need to break basic functionality!

This schizophrenic bullshit is tempting me to cancel my XBX order.

Majine

Banned
So this shit got pushed out to me today and let's just say I'm none too pleased.

Why the hell do they constantly redesign their UI? It's just a series of half baked interfaces and I'm getting pretty sick of it.

So OK, you move your guide left and right to switch tabs. That's not too bad I guess. But the home level is now dicking around in the middle. Needless change. Just keep it on the left and let it wrap around to the other side. I'm not feeling going left to get to the Party tab and Friends. Did this shit really need to be re-ordered?

Speaking of going to Party, instead of getting me all my party status when I move over, there's bullshit there. LFG. Whatever. Shit I don't use. Shit I don't care about. I need to be able to get to my party menu quickly because Xbox parties barely work a lot of the time, and I need to see if I or someone else has a fake network error that is really on Microsoft's end. All that empty space and they get rid of the information that I actually want and dump it onto a subscreen.

And the game DVR, jesus christ is that a minefield. They came up with a pretty solid interface. It was actually quick to record one of the time spans they allow you to choose from. Guide button, Back button, pick the thing you want.

Now instead once again you have to go to another fucking menu to get at what you want. My favorite parts is Guide->x is your 30 second recording. Then Guide->Back puts you highlighted on the record 30 second option. Completely redundant. And if you want anything else you need to scroll down to a menu option with a goofy name which I've already forgotten and only then do you get the options you want.

It's like people who don't even use their fucking Xboxes are just coming up with ideas and implementing them at complete random. I just want something that responds quickly, and lets me develop muscle memory for common tasks. Not a yearly "go fuck yourself".

They do need to make their mind up and settle for a design, and perfect that.

This constantly changing dashboard is terrible for end users.

Theorry

I can't get my Xbox to boot without doing a hard reset and unplugging my USB drive, and then plugging it back in once the UI is up. Because making the UI worse isn't enough, apparently they need to break basic functionality!

Go out the preview program then. Or go to Beta. Things can break in the preview program. :)

They do need to make their mind up and settle for a design, and perfect that.

This constantly changing dashboard is terrible for end users.

Or better depending on the updates, like with the last dashboard removing Snap so it could help improve speed.

It's really not difficult to learn the dashboards after updates.

JoeLT

Um, Alpha builds will break, that's why it's the Alpha build. If this is something that bothers you go on a more stable build.

Go out the preview program then. Or go to Beta. Things can break in the preview program. :)
You would think that, but you know why people like me are in the preview program? Because there have been debilitating problems pretty much since launch and we hope that the preview updates will fix more things than they break. The last big change was certainly an improvement as far as being able to make clips with the GameDVR. I can't Nostradamus it and know exactly which builds are just going to be way worse for no logical reason.

RedRum

Banned

I opted out with this update and went back to the old dash. This one was too much of an asspain change for me.

Raide

You would think that, but you know why people like me are in the preview program? Because there have been debilitating problems pretty much since launch and we hope that the preview updates will fix more things than they break. The last big change was certainly an improvement as far as being able to make clips with the GameDVR. I can't Nostradamus it and know exactly which builds are just going to be way worse for no logical reason.

You should probably wait for all the Alpha/beta etc builds to go out and go through all the weird issues they deal with and wait for retail builds that go out to every system. They tend to be the ones that have worked out issues but MS will forever tweak and alter their OS, so we will never really get a complete.

gossi

...You should not be in the early release beta streams for that reason. Those streams are there to break things through testing.

Akai__

Anybody else noticing that patches for Games are not auto downloading in Standby anymore? Because, that is totally happening for me.

Akai__

Yep, I think I'm having the same issue.
I've not seen any updates auto install for a while.

It's great, because I'm used to put my console into Standby Mode a night before a patch I know of releases and it usually downloads it before I get home. This hasn't worked for quite some time now.

It's great, because I'm used to put my console into Standby Mode a night before a patch I know of releases and it usually downloads it before I get home. This hasn't worked for quite some time now.
That may be happening to me. I woke up to 4 game updates (Injustice, Battlefield 1, NBA Live demo, Sea Of Thieves Insider Alpha) waiting to be installed.

New build tonight (note the timing on the themes):
We are releasing a new build to the Alpha ring at 6.00pm PDT today. Our goal is we will release this to the BETA ring tomorrow is all looks good.

Please note the new features and when we are enabling the Light themes!

https://forums.xbox.com/en-us/thread/45148d27-e25a-4cd2-9e15-c1a68b0c9b7a

HOW TO GET IT

• If your console is in Instant-On mode and you have been selected to receive the update, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.

• NOTE: Once the update is available to you, you can manually begin the update by launching the Guide and navigating to All Settings > System > Updates.

• If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00 AM PDT 9/6/2017 (8:00AM GMT 6/9), you will be prompted to do so at that time.

DETAILS

OS version released: rs3_release_xbox_dev_1710.170831-1900

Available: 6:00PM PDT 9/5 (1:00AM GMT 6/9)

NEW FEATURES: ​ Light and Dark Themes

· We are adding new themes to the dashboard. In addition to the current theme, you’ll be able to select a new light theme. Please note that this setting will not be enabled till 9.00am PDT 9/6/17 as we need all Alpha users to be on this new build. After 9.00am on 9/6 simply reboot your console to see the setting. 1. Navigate to Settings > Personalization > System personalization > System theme. 2. Select Light.

Notifications enhancements

· Game invites are moving from Action Center to the Multiplayer tab of Guide and Recent Achievements will now be in the Achievements tab. This makes it easy to see at a glance if you have new invites or Achievements when opening the Guide, and makes accessing those notifications faster, now that other system notifications aren’t in the way

FIXES:

​ • Movies & TV and Misc Media Apps

Black screens during movie playback have been fixed as has Fast Forward.

KNOWN ISSUES:

​ • Light Theme

There are some known visual contrast issues in messaging, the entertainment twist and the Mixer twist – you may see white one white. Fixes will be coming soon.

• Sign-in When using Arabic or Hebrew language and signing in with a profile using the “Lock it down” security preference, the sign-in screen which requests Microsoft account e-mail address and password is distorted. This does not affect the profile if it is set to use the “Ask for my passkey” or “No barriers” security preferences.

Workaround: Set the console to use another language, sign-in, and set the profile’s security preference to “Ask for my passkey” or “No barriers”. Alternatively, you can still type in your password as normal using the virtual keyboard though the screen is distorted.

• Netflix

When using Hebrew language, Netflix fails to launch.

• Minecraft Better Together Beta

Other games fail to launch after launching the Minecraft Beta. Workaround: This occurs if the Minecraft Beta is the first game launched after powering on the console; launch another game before Minecraft to avoid this issue. If you are stuck in this state, hard reset your console.

• Blu-Ray Player

3D Blu-Ray content plays in 2D.

• Game Hub

Game Hub isn’t accurately tracking Gamerscore and achievement unlocks for certain games.

Yes! Can't wait to try the light theme!

I swear I was getting sick of the pitch black look of all the apps, glad to see I can finally have a nice change of pace!

Really hoping they can add night light from Redstone 2.

Wedzi

Banned
Do you guys think the light theme will become the default theme going forward? Kind of goes along with the Xbox One S design.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Do you guys think the light theme will become the default theme going forward? Kind of goes along with the Xbox One S design.
No, I'm pretty sure studies indicate the majority of people prefer dark backgrounds.

Zedox

No, I'm pretty sure studies indicate the majority of people prefer dark backgrounds.

Yep. Dark is better for eyes during nighttime gaming as well. Though i will be using the light theme for a bit. I feel like light theme is the last major feature (outside of kb/m) for this update.

speedomodel

Eh, having my shit not work is becoming a drag, think I'm out of the preview program at this point. Too much of a pain when I want to play games and have limited time.

It's been getting better with each update. Especially the Guide. Automatic game updates are also broken for me and sometimes my console won't start up unless I unplug the power cable from the back of the console first for a few seconds. Definitely not annoying enough for me to ditch the preview program though. I'm too lazy to buy an optical switcher so I'm always back there plugging in my headphones anyway.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Yep. Dark is better for eyes during nighttime gaming as well. Though i will be using the light theme for a bit. I feel like light theme is the last major feature (outside of kb/m) for this update.
Wouldn't it be cool to have light theme during daytime and dark theme during nighttime?

Nheco

there are any word on when those updates will be available for everyone else? I was in the beta on prior years, but since I had some problems to play my stuff on 2016, I leave it for good.

krang

there are any word on when those updates will be available for everyone else? I was in the beta on prior years, but since I had some problems to play my stuff on 2016, I leave it for good.

Tends to be around November. My guess is this coincides with the X this year.

Top Bottom