• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Xbox One Update releases to Insiders Today (Fluent Design)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Watching all the latest videos on the newest builds and I have completely 180d on this new dash.

PERFECT blend of the original launch dash and the current one.

Sean

Banned
Just got the update (in beta ring) and not a fan of this new homescreen design at all.

The new recommendation things are horrible so far. It's recommending me to join a friend in a game that I don't have installed, never played before, and have never shown any sort of interest in. It's also showing me Madden NFL 18 even though I don't play any sports games at all. And lastly it's recommending me to join some Forza club just because I played the "Forza Horizon 3 demo" a single time about a year ago. These are all bad for obvious reasons.

So then I attempted to "train" the recommendation algorithm and when I pressed "show less like this" it just grays it out and says "Thanks for the feedback!" rather than "refreshing" that spot and replacing it with a new option. So a useless recommendation become even more useless until I either restart or sign out of XBL. I restarted the console just to see if my feedback actually worked, and it showed the exact same tile(s) in the exact same spot. Ugh.

Aside from the crap recommendations, I don't like how the artwork takes up the entire top half of the screen. Not only does it take up a bunch of valuable space but it simply doesn't look good at all in certain games and apps, (especially those with light or white backgrounds, makes it difficult to read the white text).

Those are my first impressions. It does feel noticeably faster, so that's a plus. I'm okay with most of the changes but really dislike the new homescreen stuff.

Caayn

Oh man I would love that.

Is it something which is coming in the future or just you wishing?
I don't think that MS has said anything about USB headset support, so it's me wishing.

It's the one major feature that I hope they'd finally include with this fall update. But it's looking more and more that we won't get it until at least the next major update.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Good video show casing the light theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO93g_DXftc

After watching, I'm thinking the light theme will be my go to. Not too bright, but pretty inviting.
Im going light theme for sure, i already had a bright background image and i was always annoyed that it seemed out of place with everything else being dark.
Now we can be uniform!

This guy has a 7 figure gamerscore?
Holy shit thats the first time ive ever seen a 7 figure gamerscore.

Bet the same fuckers that like this light theme love to get blinded by GAF's light theme. :)

Hhehehehe Guilty!!!!!!

I think one of the problems is...when you go light theme, some of the dashboard elements have full on white background. Like the Store and My Games & Apps. The vast majority of the screen is white. BUT, you can't choose that same white as a background colour under settings > personalization > my background colour, so no matter what, your home screen is going to look different than the rest of the splash pages. For example, you can't have your home look like this:

I guess one workaround would be for someone to make a background image that's a solid white, the same white used elsewhere, and just set the background as that image?

This is my point exactly. It should have come with some sort of greyish white background to give the console dashboard an overhaul. In its current state my dashboard is still mostly black. Its a shame to because they found a very pleasing looking settings screen with its colors. I just wish it all looked the same.

Also i noticed that the transparency setting is becoming less important and utilized as time goes on. It does barely anything now lol.

MS will never add this imo. They push their own wifi direct connection technology here!

I just got some Astro A40's and they connect with usb to the console, with no other plug going into the controller. But somehow they have full voice chat. Isn't that basically a usb headset? It seems like they allow it, but they need to be approved officially by Microsoft. Seems silly, because its already possible, but locked away.

Leyasu

Banned
I just got some Astro A40's and they connect with usb to the console, with no other plug going into the controller. But somehow they have full voice chat. Isn't that basically a usb headset? It seems like they allow it, but they need to be approved officially by Microsoft. Seems silly, because its already possible, but locked away.

No, I'm pretty sure that the white mix amp communicates directly with the xbone and pad using Microsoft's technology.

I'm okay with most of the changes but really dislike the new homescreen stuff.

Welcome to the club! I believe that is the case for many (most?) people. Unfortunately the home screen isn't going to change much between now and release. Those useless recommendation boxes are there to stay, at least until the next big redesign. I believe they are part of MS's goal with this update, which is to better "expose" mixer, clubs, and other social features to the users. I'd be okay with them being on by default with the option to turn them off buried in the settings app. That way they would still appear on most people's dash since they don't fiddle with the settings. This isn't like the ad boxes where MS basically has to guarantee those are there because of advertising deals. The good thing is you almost never need to use the home screen since the guide has most everything.

Couldn't turn that light mode theme off quick enough. My god, dial down the brightness MS

I won't use the light mode personally, but when I tried it last night I didn't find it to be all that bright. It's far from a solid white, more of a very light gray. This could appear different with improper TV settings, of course, but I was happy they didn't go solid white on that.

With HDR requiring max backlight, I don't see myself using the light theme.

Does the dash render in HDR? If you go home while running an HDR game, does HDR stay "on" while you're on the dash or does it cut off, then back on when you return to the game. I don't have any HDR games installed on my X1s at the moment.

Alx

Any info on when/if we get to try the new avatars ? Windowscentral had a preview of it a few weeks ago, so I thought it was just around the corner...

I'm sure they are aiming to launch before the X, they don't people buying an X and then getting a new interface a week later. Mid to late October would be my guess.

The light theme is literally the best design change you can make to the whole dashboard. It looks absolutely incredible, everything is crisp and sharp and looks like this was the way it was always intended to be.

I haven't tried live wallpapers yet, however I'm not sure they are even active.

Head.spawn

Omg Light theme is BLINDING on the KS8000 in Game mode. Seriously burned my retinas.

Everyone at my houses reaction to enabling it and looking around the settings screen:
635946268876057377221432345_giphy-2.gif

or

too_many_feels.gif

Maybe a light-gray theme would be cool as well. I like the look of the white theme in normal function, but in the settings or when it's full-screen, it's a bit nutty on my KS.

This is my point exactly. It should have come with some sort of greyish white background to give the console dashboard an overhaul. In its current state my dashboard is still mostly black. Its a shame to because they found a very pleasing looking settings screen with its colors. I just wish it all looked the same.

Also i noticed that the transparency setting is becoming less important and utilized as time goes on. It does barely anything now lol.

I'll try to get someone on Reddit with design skills to make a background image that we can use to mimic it.

I like the look of the white theme in normal function, but in the settings or when it's full-screen, it's a bit nutty on my KS.

What do you have your backlight set to on the KS? I keep mine around 10 for non-HDR content and I didn't find the light theme to be blinding at all.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It's for Alpha dash users (if you don't know)

I change my location to US and it worked after that

Got invited into the Alpha, dunno if i want to make the jump cuz Alpha seems to get updates like every week or atleast every 2 weeks.
Maybe ill jump in November when i have a little more free time and dont mind constant updates and can actually report more issues.

Caayn

Just got the dashboard (beta ring) is there anyway to move the store tab forward? I don't use the mixer and community tabs.
MS will never add this imo. They push their own wifi direct connection technology here!
That'd be a major dissapointment. Not being able to use my Logitech G933 wireless on the XB1 whereas I can on my W10 PC and PS3/4. Are there even any wifi direct headsets on the market that are compatible with the XB1?

Here's a shitty attempt by me to replicate it. It's a little too dark, and I think the store page has a slight gradient, but it's a start?
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ag0GgIQy1xLkgVA0mEimYx42KcNO

Just save to a USB and set as custom background.

Here's a shitty attempt by me to replicate it. It's a little too dark, and I think the store page has a slight gradient, but it's a start?
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ag0GgIQy1xLkgVA0mEimYx42KcNO

Just save to a USB and set as custom background.

I mean its better than nothing. It looks better when the tiles with font on them have a light background. It makes it look more unified and not so cheap. Whats weird is that when i first boot up the console with a light theme, it appears for one second that there is a white background to it. But it then goes back to my selected background. I hope its more complete when it launches. Animated backgrounds will be interesting as well.

I mean its better than nothing. It looks better when the tiles with font on them have a light background. It makes it look more unified and not so cheap. Whats weird is that when i first boot up the console with a light theme, it appears for one second that there is a white background to it. But it then goes back to my selected background. I hope its more complete when it launches. Animated backgrounds will be interesting as well.
I agree. It's not the same. Hoping they just add either a light theme background colour, or the light theme comes built in with more of it. It feels unfinished, which, I guess, it is.

Sean

Banned
Welcome to the club! I believe that is the case for many (most?) people. Unfortunately the home screen isn't going to change much between now and release. Those useless recommendation boxes are there to stay, at least until the next big redesign. I believe they are part of MS's goal with this update, which is to better "expose" mixer, clubs, and other social features to the users. I'd be okay with them being on by default with the option to turn them off buried in the settings app. That way they would still appear on most people's dash since they don't fiddle with the settings. This isn't like the ad boxes where MS basically has to guarantee those are there because of advertising deals. The good thing is you almost never need to use the home screen since the guide has most everything.

Yeah I get why the recommendation boxes are there, they probably "boost user engagement" or whatever, so I'm sure they're here to stay. I'd just like them to be smarter and provide actual useful recommendations.

1. Join Friend recommendation should only show up for games that you actually have installed. Why recommend me to join a game that I'd need to first purchase for $60 then download 100gb of data for a couple hours? By that time my friend will either be offline or playing a different game anyway.
2. Club recommendations should only show for stuff that you actually play. I should never see stuff like "recommended because of this random demo / beta you played two years ago".
3. Store tile should show games that you either currently have installed or have played a lot of in the past. Or at the very least in a genre of games that you play. They shouldn't be trying to sell me on Madden if I don't play any sports games.
4. Feedback system needs to be reworked a bit. Right now it's not entirely clear what the "show more like this" and "show less like this" options actually do. Instead, that feedback menu should have choices like "Show less club recommendations", "I am not interested in Forza 3" etc.

IMO this is all common sense stuff and not too much to ask for. Microsoft has a ton of data on us (what games we play, how long we play them, etc) and currently it feels like they're not really using any of that information in order to make personalized recommendations. As it stands right now I'm actively ignoring/avoiding the majority of my home screen which is probably not what they had in mind.

I got the new UI yesterday and I just... don't get it.

I mean, it's not changed really radically, but overall it just feels like a pointless redesign. ESPECIALLY with the guide. Like, why make it so we have to manually open the friends list/party/achievements? Why change that from the vertical guide, which had all these things open by default? Why add that extra button press? I just don't get it.

Top Bottom