• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Xbox One Update releases to Insiders Today (Fluent Design)

Raide

Not sure if it's just a one off but the dash seems much more responsive at the moment. Nice an snappy getting around the menus and settings etc. I recently added an external hdd, dunno if it's that haha.

I'm only in Preview Ring 3, so it might be a little while before I finally get the new dashboard update :(. But the 1080p 1-hour capture to an external hard drive is a feature I have requested over two years ago. Nice that it is finally coming.

Bsigg12

Update notes for Beta insiders for last night's build:

HOW TO GET IT
• If your console is in Instant-On mode and you have been selected to receive the update, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.
• NOTE: Once the update is available to you, you can manually begin the update by launching the Guide and navigating to All Settings > System > Updates.
• If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00 AM PDT 9/15/2017 (8:00AM GMT 15/9), you will be prompted to do so at that time.

DETAILS
OS version released: rs3_release_xbox_dev_1710.170910-1900
Available: 6:00PM PDT 9/14 (1:00AM GMT 14/9)

NEW FEATURES:
• Game DVR

Beta Xbox Insiders, awesome new GameDVR features added today! Capture at 1080p, and capture directly to an external drive.

FIXES:
• Games & Apps

Miscellaneous performance fixes when switching between games or apps.

KNOWN ISSUES:
• Blu-Ray Player

3D Blu-Ray content now correctly plays in 3D.

• Virtual Keyboard
When using virtual keyboard the auto suggest feature does not function.

• Light Theme
There are some known visual contrast issues in messaging, the entertainment twist, and the Mixer twist—you may see white on white. Fixes will be coming soon.

• Sign-in
When using Arabic or Hebrew language and signing in with a profile using the “Lock it down” security preference, the sign-in screen which requests Microsoft account e-mail address and password is distorted. This does not affect the profile if it is set to use the “Ask for my passkey” or “No barriers” security preferences.
Workaround: Set the console to use another language, sign-in, and set the profile’s security preference to “Ask for my passkey” or “No barriers”. Alternatively, you can still type in your password as normal using the virtual keyboard though the screen is distorted.

• Netflix
When using Hebrew language, Netflix fails to launch.

• Home
Images on the Mixer tab may appear clipped or duplicated.

Alx

I wish they'd fix the voice commands thing already. It will react to "Xbox turn off" but not to "yes" when you need to confirm. For the last few days I've turned off my console by pushing a button, as if it were the XXth century. Sigh.

Bsigg12

I wish they'd fix the voice commands thing already. It will react to "Xbox turn off" but not to "yes" when you need to confirm. For the last few days I've turned off my console by pushing a button, as if it were the XXth century. Sigh.

I've done like 10 reports for that already because it's really annoying.

Night.Ninja

Banned

Mine works fine, some times with a bit of delay

I'm still using cortana, "hey cortana go to sleep" "yes" 🤷*♂️

Alx

Eh, so it's a trap to make us activate Cortana again. :p
Time to give her another chance, I suppose. There were some signs of improvement in the earlier updates, but still not enough to make me leave the old commands. Maybe it's different now...

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Creator's Program games getting access to more resources.

0e01fc7be9eb04fc087cc23c09194953.png

With the release of the Expanded Resources feature in the Windows Fall Creators Update, we are taking the industry closer to that goal than it has ever been before. Now, developers will automatically have access to 6 exclusive cores, 5 GB of ram and full access to the GPU!

https://blogs.windows.com/buildinga...mes-fall-xbox-one-update/#Lm37IptMAWXIA95d.97

I have a external drive formatted to play games, and another one I use as a media driver on xbone, but for some reason it won't let me change the capturing from internal :(

(The media HDD is a 1TB usb 3.0 2.5" drive, it shouldn't be a problem as xbox allows me to even format it to install games)

JeffG

I have a external drive formatted to play games, and another one I use as a media driver on xbone, but for some reason it won't let me change the capturing from internal :(

(The media HDD is a 1TB usb 3.0 2.5" drive, it shouldn't be a problem as xbox allows me to even format it to install games)

It has to be formatted NTFS (ie..format it on your PC)

Colbert

Banned

Reformat the media drive with your Xbox using the media format option that should be now available or reformat your drive with NTFS on your PC.

Unity2012

I really like this update. It allows us to customize the Home page even more and quickly move thru the different tabs. Definitely a welcome upgrade.

zou

hope they finally fix the god awful store. and long-pressing the xbox button is still as nonresponsive and slow as ever.

It has to be formatted NTFS (ie..format it on your PC)

It is NTFS already.

Reformat the media drive with your Xbox using the media format option that should be now available or reformat your drive with NTFS on your PC.

Will try using the media format option then.

Edit: Where is this option? I can format any external drive that is used for games, but for media it will only allow me to see the contents

Wedzi

Banned
Probably the best it's going to get for this generation. Need a full reboot next generation

That's about as good as I can hope for considering all the features planned at the start, one guide, tv out, snap that just aren't a focus anymore.

Colbert

Banned
It is NTFS already.

Will try using the media format option then.

Edit: Where is this option? I can format any external drive that is used for games, but for media it will only allow me to see the contents

Maybe I misunderstood what I was told by a friend as I am personally not on the preview anymore. It def works if you format your drive with NTFS from your PC from what I was told. You also need to change your settings for Game DVR to "external drive" before it can work. I double check and come back.

Edit:
Here is a How-To: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-record-xbox-one-game-dvr-clips-external-drive

To start recording Game DVR footage to an external drive, you'll first need to find a suitable storage solution. While you may already have a drive formatted specifically for game and apps, Game DVR clips require storage designated for media, meaning you'll need a drive not associated with Xbox One game data. USB 3.0 is required, but it appears that Game DVR doesn't follow the exact same hardware restrictions as game installations, meaning those smaller than 256 GB can be used.

Format your chosen external drive to NTFS. Connect an external drive to a vacant USB port on your Xbox One. Select Use for media if prompted with the choice.

After inserting a drive and configuring it for media use on Xbox One, navigate to the console's Setting app, where a switch can be made from internal to external recording. Not only will this save space on your console's internal drive – doing so increases the maximum duration of a recording to one hour.

Press the Xbox button to open the Guide. Scroll across to the System tab. Select All settings. Scroll down to the Preferences tab. Choose Broadcast & capture. Navigate to Capture location. Select External.

By switching to an external drive, this also opens up a new use for Game DVR, which was previously unachievable via internal storage. After recording clips, your external drive can now be plugged into a PC, where the traditional video files can be extracted. This essentially turns your console into a simple capture card, allowing recordings to be locally transferred for use in PC-based editing software. All files created by Game DVR can be found under the "Game DVR" folder automatically created on your drive.

Norse

This last update speeds up everything it seems. Everything is snappy. Hopefully the found the shutdown bug that's was making me unplug the S before I could turn it on again.

PaulLFC

I've just pre-ordered an Xbox One X - when it launches do I need to do anything special to move my preview access over from my current (original XB1) console?

Or do I just sign in with my Microsoft account on the XB1X, download the Insider Hub and I'll be up and running, same alpha ring etc?

mike4001_

I've just pre-ordered an Xbox One X - when it launches do I need to do anything special to move my preview access over from my current (original XB1) console?

Or do I just sign in with my Microsoft account on the XB1X, download the Insider Hub and I'll be up and running, same alpha ring etc?

As you wrote install the Insider App and there you can enroll your new console to the preview programm.

(You might also remove your old console if you want to sell it)

PaulLFC

As you wrote install the Insider App and there you can enroll your new console to the preview programm.

(You might also remove your old console if you want to sell it)
Thank you!

Do you know if the new console has to work up through the test tiers, or is that gamertag based? (I read something about changes meaning anyone can join but not many people are selected for alpha, which is where my console seems to be at present).

Bsigg12

Thank you!

Do you know if the new console has to work up through the test tiers, or is that gamertag based? (I read something about changes meaning anyone can join but not many people are selected for alpha, which is where my console seems to be at present).

You can jump straight into the Tier you're in now. It's based on your GT, not the console and you can enroll multiple consoles.

J 0 E

Tried the new dashboard and I don't like it overall

Simple tasks like going to settings or checking online friends require more steps on the new dashboard than the current one

Gestault

Tried the new dashboard and I don't like it overall

Simple tasks like going to settings or checking online friends require more steps on the new dashboard than the current one

I don't know it exactly exactly, but isn't it just [ Home Button > Left > Left ] ? Or from the home screen, [ Left > A > Left > Left ] ?

It's not perfect, but this is a big improvement from the last version (which I had gotten used to, but I could tell was confusing for others), in terms of the visual layout of it all.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I don't know it exactly exactly, but isn't it just [ Home Button > Left > Left ] ? Or from the home screen, [ Left > A > Left > Left ] ?

It's not perfect, but this is a big improvement from the last version (which I had gotten used to, but I could tell was confusing for others), in terms of the visual layout of it all.
Previously you could see your online friends immediately. Now it's one or two additional button presses. Audio settings for a connected headset are one additional press. (Guide is probably a bit faster because of that)

Norse

Not yet (unclear if they have distributed builds that even have that support for X specific assets on the platform side yet)

Only thing 1X related that I can see is in games/apps. You can have it sort so just 1X enhanced games are shown.

On that note, today I have 11 updates which is odd. Most are 360 games though so I wonder why so many are getting updated. Not the normal 1-3 updates I usually see. Shrug

Norse

Previously you could see your online friends immediately. Now it's one or two additional button presses. Audio settings for a connected headset are one additional press. (Guide is probably a bit faster because of that)

Home, left 1 time on dpad shows your friends. Just how many seconds does that take? Heck, just pressing the home button shows the friends icon and how many are online at the moment. Some of the complaints just seem to be petty.

Severianb

Yeah, the current version is an absolute non-intuitive mess, this new version looks like a improvement in that area at least.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Home, left 1 time on dpad shows your friends. Just how many seconds does that take? Heck, just pressing the home button shows the friends icon and how many are online at the moment. Some of the complaints just seem to be petty.
All I'm saying: Prior to this dash I was able to see who is online. Their exact names. Now with the same amount of inputs I only see their profile pictures; not everyone uses a unique picture.

Not that much of a problem.

see5harp

It is pretty shocking that they changed so much this generation. That first UI, despite having cool features like snap fully integrated into some apps like Parties have been completely erased in exchange for some minor things like overlays for parties and achievements. Almost nothing they thought would be successful for the launch UI exists anymore.

Night.Ninja

Banned
It is pretty shocking that they changed so much this generation. That first UI, despite having cool features like snap fully integrated into some apps like Parties have been completely erased in exchange for some minor things like overlays for parties and achievements. Almost nothing they thought would be successful for the launch UI exists anymore.

Because it's been improved on

Nephtes

I love the new guide.
It feels much faster than the old guide (most likely because they no longer have to load everything into bottom most (top most?) layer any longer. Basically, they now load just the basics so it pops up quickly, and then more detail can be loaded if you click on the item you want to see.

That said, getting to headphone options is a bit of a pain in the ass now.
Maybe I have too much muscle memory for the old way...
But in the new version, I find myself having to parse the settings menu for a long time before I find "Audio options".
I kind of wish the headset had its own tab in the guide since it's one of the things I adjust constantly.

Bsigg12

I love the new guide.
It feels much faster than the old guide (most likely because they no longer have to load everything into bottom most (top most?) layer any longer. Basically, they now load just the basics so it pops up quickly, and then more detail can be loaded if you click on the item you want to see.

But in the new version, I find myself having to parse the settings menu for a long time before I find "Audio options".
I kind of wish the headset had its own tab in the guide since it's one of the things I adjust constantly.

I do wish it was surfaced on a tab to easily get to it and not one level deeper like it is.

I love the new guide.

Agreed completely on the headset note. Always takes me longer than it should to find it and make adjustments.

Been using the update for a while and I really dig it. Not a fan of the new guide though. It’s feels like it’s more work to do the same things. Improve that a bit and I’ll be happy.

Light theme with the purple accent is perfection though.

Top Bottom