• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: Nintendo Switch’s Right Joy-Con Offers IR Pointer Functionality

Nice find.

One thing which is interesting to me in an engineering way is the compromise Nintendo seemingly had to make here. Obviously they'd rather have the IR pointer on the front end of the joycon, similarly to a wiimote, but clearly the shoulder and trigger buttons take up too much space to allow for an IR sensor window.
i think it was possible for them to get away with IR poiting in normal orientation if Nintendo chosed to employ outside/inside tracking with a sensor mounted in the Switch main body and use the LED's in the controller. At the least it will certainly take less space than the Wii Remote or cuarrent solutions.

But why can't the window be smaller? An IR sensor component in the guts of the handheld can be quite small. It could be that the shoulder and trigger components take up too much space inside of the housing, but I think it's more likely that the IR window needs to be a certain size to get an accurate enough reading of the IR light emitted from the Switch/sensor bar.
The FOV was already narrow with the Wii Remote, having an even smaller window could be problematic.

With the IR Sensor at the bottom, the user will need to shift the hand back to some extent to use the inputs on the face of the controller. Since the Joycons seem to be about 4'' in lenght vs the Wii Remote 6''. i guess even with the hand moved back the Joycon won't feel so unbalanced.

i think the above ties into another reason why the right Joycon was chosen (among some other ones already explained) to hold the IR sensor, even when it sacrifices the more ergonomic rounded contour for the palm of the right hand. The reason been that the stick is out of the way if the user is gonna use the ABXY to interact with the touch based game when IR mode. And the stick itself is more easy to reach for the thumb. If it was the left Joycon the thumb might had to go over the thumbstick to press any of the face buttons. A shame the triggers are not available for the hand thought.

The hidden R and L could help with this alot but those are still in fictional land until more solid confirmation is found.

But that screenshot is the money one... it gives lot more plausibility to Dale's rumor.

EDIT WITH OTHER RESPONSES:

As wiimote replacements, I don't want to use it plus I'm left handed requiring me to use my right hand to play games such as CoD would put me at a disadvantage.
As a matter of fact this decision favor lefties.

We already talked about this earlier. Since the IR Sensor is at the bottom of the R Joycon, when it's fliped the curved side rests in the palm of the left hand.

And besides, you can use Gyro aiming with the normal JoyCon orientation which is pretty close to IR poiting... better than thumbstick aiming for sure.

brad-t

Just let me connect my Wiimote to the thing instead of having to use the godawful Joycon controller.

Come on, you haven't even used it.

If they put the IR pointer on the bottom of the controller, it seems like it would be uncomfortable and stands out bizarrely against the multitude of smart design choices with the Switch.

I trust that there's a detail that I don't understand about the implementation, if this is how it is.

Come on, you haven't even used it.

If they put the IR pointer on the bottom of the controller, it seems like it would be uncomfortable and stands out bizarrely against the multitude of smart design choices with the Switch.

I trust that there's a detail that I don't understand about the implementation if this is how it is.

As wiimote replacements, I don't want to use it plus I'm left handed requiring me to use my right hand to play games such as CoD would put me at a disadvantage.

Has this been discussed at all? I was poring over the trailer (nearly frame by frame) looking for anything we have missed

And got a good shot of the joycon grip. It appears the controllers connect via a 4 pin connector.

enhance2ves4w.png
My bet is the joycons have their own battery, as well at the joycon grip, but the joycon grip is the only component you can plug in and charge, and the joycons charge off the grip. Like a lot of bluetooth headsets do.

Camera turning and aiming is essential for fpsers though. Lets hope they have that for games like cod.

Anyway regarding the ir placement on the joycon.. It can be easily changed. Nothing is confirmed final. There WILL be some changes

ramparter

Banned
I think it's criminal that Star Fox Zero didn't utilize the Wiimote at all. I remember for years thinking how cool it would be if Nintendo brought back Star Fox and put it on the Wii where they could use the Wiimote's IR pointer to fire at shit. It would of been perfect. Instead, when they brought it back for Wii U, they shoehorned in and forced the shitty Gamepad controls down our throats. Disgraceful.
Id say the same for splatoon. If the IR returns I hope Nintendo finally makes an fps.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So, if the Joy-Con is held upside down for IR, I guess the reasoning is, if held like a Wiimote, it's more comfortable to have navigation at the top and buttons at the bottom, much like the D-Pad was above the A button on the Wiimote; otherwise you'd be reaching over the the control stick to hit the buttons. Obviously, if you hold it like you'd hold it during normal use this isn't a problem.

KingBroly

Banned
Ignoring the IR Sensor for a moment, but I really think that the connection on the bottom is USB-C. Though Nintendo going proprietary is always possible.

Somebody already pointed out the USB-C thing in another thread I believe. But that picture does suggest something is at the bottom of the right joy-con

Peltz

So are we going to be holding this dart-throwing style?

lewis_2695999.jpg

Feels a bit tedious compared to the Wii Remote and Move.

Mokujin

Best thing is that it seems that no game will have mandatory IR controls, they are great in some games but a hurdle in others.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Best thing is that it seems that no game will have mandatory IR controls, they are great in some games but a hurdle in others.

When did we ever have mandatory IR controls?

This is the very last thing that Nintendo should do. This would only cause confusion like it did with the WiiU.
They could have it as an option while leaving out footage of someone using Wiimotes in all their advertising.

Schyz

Neo Member
Has this been discussed at all? I was poring over the trailer (nearly frame by frame) looking for anything we have missed

And got a good shot of the joycon grip. It appears the controllers connect via a 4 pin connector.

enhance2ves4w.png

Those 4 pins look surprissingly aligned with the "player number" indicator. Might be just 4 pieces of transparent plastic in L shape. This would also mean that the independent Joy-Cons have a player number indicator in the side that attaches with other devices.

Notice the black spot on the bottom right but not the left?

(please ignore the map I didn't add that was just going off of someone else screencap edit)

untitledzwszn.png

The big slot on the bottom left could be an air intake. My theory is that the dock is pumping air through the bottom of the unit which would allow for a big, silent fan and higher clocks for console mode.

Calling it now: Either click the stick to emulate a "touch" or hold it with the inner shoulder buttons facing up and push one of them with your thumb (I doubt it because that seems like it would limit the IR camera's horizontal field of view).

Hopefully either the Joycon will get handgun grips for lightgun games or they will come out with an actual IR gun. There is nothing I want more than japanese arcade lightgun games.

Top Bottom