• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laura Dale: NX battery 3 hours max on dev kit, dock improves performance, touchscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedark

well we already know from nintendo that the doc doesn't add shit to the processing power..so i'd say fake for the rest too

Do we, though? Nintendo (as far as I know) said to IGN that the dock's main function was charging, output to TV, and giving power to the Switch. Since charging and giving power are separated, I would say there is no evidence against extra power yet.

Oersted

I hope you like indie titles after the contracted/incentivized support runs out. lol

Ignoring that I feel utterly stupid for discussing something so totally offtopic(I'm sure you feel the same), yes, I do enjoy games.

No matter if its from Shin'en, or a exclusive like Monster Hunter(remember that series?) or a funded game like Bayonetta.

Yes, I like games.

I'm hoping these devs know more about the strategy behing the Switch and the stuff we haven't heard yet. But it can easily go the same with as the WiiU if Nintendo doesn't capture the imagination of a lot of kids, parents and millennials.

Devs are always eager to jump in on a succes. But i think Nintendo will have to come with some brilliant stuff to get people to buy this thing. I'm talking Pokemon Go level hype.

Yeah that is unique to the Switch ofcourse. So that might trigger some people hopefully.
Games? i'm talking about 1 game. Skyrim.
Are there people here who can still have a normal conversation without becoming aggressive right away?

But sure, maybe i'm wrong in the amount of people who will buy Skyrim. I hope i'm wrong.

You talked about multiplats in general.

Interestingly, that picture should kill any speculation that there's some sort of extra processing hardware in the dock. To support the kind of bandwidth between the dock and the console that a coprocessor or GPU would require you would need some sort of wide many-pin connector along the bottom of the console, and you can't see anything like that in the picture. USB-C isn't going to cut it.

Do we, though? Nintendo (as far as I know) said to IGN that the dock's main function was charging, output to TV, and giving power to the Switch. Since charging and giving power are separated, I would say there is no evidence against extra power yet.

Just FYI, a much better image was posted in the reveal thread

I see an usb type C connector in the bottom part of the Switch console

Foto_22_10_16_15_44_26.jpg

That usb port can do video output while charging the device. It also would allow for anyone to use a standard battery pack.

OCD Guy

I like how the lack of "me too" titles is considered a bad thing. I'm ok with not having the exact same games that are on other consoles.

It's funny how the "ideal" is having the exact same multi-platform games as the PS4 and Xbox, when for me the ideal would be to have new ip's from third parties.

If anything I hate how this gen more than any other, has more focus on multi-platform games than ever before. I wish each console had more exclusive games and differentiation between them.

And believe it or not but publishers don't share the same affection and blind loyalty to certain consoles that certain posters on this thread do. If the Switch sells well it will receive support. If it doesn't sell well it will be the Wii U all over again.

My life to a T

It's silly really, the times I do fire up the PS4, by the time I've decided what to play I just put Netflix or YouTube on lol. I don't seem to have the attention span or motivation to get stuck into a game the way I used to. I tend to favour pick up and play games for quick bursts nowadays more than ever.

Xhaner5

Neo Member
It's possible that being undocked causes the processor to throttle to save battery life. This throttling might be disabled while docked.

This is the minimal thing. Anything less than that is probably lame, the dock would be totally pointless otherwise.

Hermii

Could be used for higher FPS too - I don't think Nintendo will put a hard lock on what the potential extra power is being used for.

Probably not, but I don't think they want the experience to be that different docked and mobile. With higher res on the tv it would look similar to lower res on the smaller screen because the pixel density would remain more equal.

LordOfChaos

It's silly really, the times I do fire up the PS4, by the time I've decided what to play I just put Netflix or YouTube on lol. I don't seem to have the attention span or motivation to get stuck into a game the way I used to. I tend to favour pick up and play games for quick bursts nowadays more than ever.

In the last few months the only game I put decent progress into was Bloodborne at around 45 hours now, so I really do probably spend more time talking about games than playing them, lol.

oti

Banned
I see an usb type C connector in the bottom part of the Switch console

Foto_22_10_16_15_44_26.jpg

That usb port can do video output while charging the device. It also would allow for anyone to use a standard battery pack.

So you can't charge the thing if you want to use its kickstand? That's a bit odd but I'd definitely take it because of USB-C. That's more important.

Somnid

Thanks !!!

This thing shows up in another images but i can't figure it out what it is

Can anyone guess what it is?

Probably the dock port. You could theoretically do everything through 1 type C port but I imagine they may have other concerns that might be addressed with something proprietary (zero-insertion force, high-speed bus for peripherals etc). It is close to the size of a full SD card, though I'd expect that to have a flap, the exposed port generally means it was designed for quick connections with something (the dock).

Durden77

As much of a bummer 3 hours may be, it also seems pretty damn realistic considering what the console is trying to do. If they have the option for battery packs then I think that's fine.

Probably the dock port. You could theoretically do everything through 1 type C port but I imagine they may have other concerns that might be addressed with something proprietary (zero-insertion force, high-speed bus for peripherals etc). It is close to the size of a full SD card, though I'd expect that to have a flap, the exposed port generally means it was designed for quick connections with something (the dock).

Maybe the white thing is to be used when docking and the usbc to be used to charge elsewhere.

Dominator

The main issue I have with this at the moment is that I might want to use a case with the screen... I'm gonna be playing more handheld in my bed than on the TV and even on the go, I'd like to keep it secure. That dock doesn't seem like it would fit the tablet in it with a case or protector.

A minor issue so far, we'll see how it shakes out.

CrazyHorse

The main issue I have with this at the moment is that I might want to use a case with the screen... I'm gonna be playing more handheld in my bed than on the TV and even on the go, I'd like to keep it secure. That dock doesn't seem like it would fit the tablet in it with a case or protector.

A minor issue so far, we'll see how it shakes out.

Good point. I keep my Wii U in a case, so this will need a case too.

Malakai

Well 720p is what's been quoted by the leakers deemed reliable, but my concern isn't really the resolution, it's more the quality of the display.

I was hopeful for an oled display but Nintendo mentioned an lcd, I just hope they use a decent panel. I've not seen one decent lcd on a Nintendo device, but the general build quality has always felt cheap to me too. The gamepad was awful, all round in terms of quality, I hated the loose cheap feeling buttons, garbage screen and gloss finish.

But the switch looks like the most premium device Nintendo have created so I'm hopeful.

DSi vs PSP screen shoot

The Nintendo DS Lite and Motorola Q (Part II) have largest color gamut of all the mobile devices tested.

Or like how the DSi XL all had IPS screens?

Oh, BTW, build quality isn't based on whether or not it "feels", build quality is based on durability. You can have an expensive "feeling" device, yet, the build quality could be crap (i.e. like when one drops an iPhone and crack the screen and I see a lot of crack screens on iphones vs 3DS in the wild).

OCD Guy

I wonder if you can play with two people and two complete joy cons. I mean both pieces on each joy con grip accessory.

I don't see why not. The trailer shows people playing splatoon with the pro controller while using the handheld screen, so I'd say on that basis you're not limited to only using two joy con attachments (one L and one R) either attached or detached when handheld. If you can use a pro controller while handheld, chances are you can use another "complete" joycon controller too.

I think it's safe to assume there will be a million different controller choices. What will dictate controller choices will be more down to the individual games (and the developer choices) as opposed to limitations by Nintendo.

AdanVC

I can already see kids switching and unswitching the screen when they see it on the dock and the image on the tv going on and off like crazy.

Phamit

Laura asked on twitter how external Graphic Cards work with USB-C on a pc, so Switch could really use USB-C or she working on something different.

OCD Guy

Laura asked on twitter how external Graphic Cards work with USB-C on a pc, so Switch could really use USB-C or she working on something different.

There is no way there is an external graphic card fitted in that dock that is then connected via USB C.

I get it that she was right on a few leaks, but she's not right on this.

Also not many people with gaming pcs would need to use an external graphics card, you would use the PCI-E slots on your motherboard and either sli or X-fire if you wanted to run more than one gpu.

Why is she trying to draw parallels with pc hardware and mobile hardware. This device is using an SoC not a dedicated GPU and CPU, and what is being suggested i.e an SoC and then an external GPU would just make things overly complex and expensive for very little gain.

It makes more sense to use a powerful SoC that will reduce the clock frequencies when the device is portable to reduce heat and promote better battery life.

Hermii

My take on it is no processing on the dock, but higher clock speed because they don't have to worry about battery consumption. Just like laptops have worked for a decade.

AniHawk

I agree which makes me wonder the point of this device.

I wonder what the projected install base is because I can't see why a dev would release on this platform after what happened to the WiiU.

i'd keep an eye on japan. western support is going to likely be limited to whatever family games traditionally get made and maybe the usual superhuge stuff from actiblizzard and ubisoft - at least at first.

japan's a different story though. not only is the 3ds the piece of dedicated hardware over there, japanese companies have had a lot of experience with porting between handheld and home devices even with bigger power gaps between the ps4 and switch. see games made for the psp/ps3, psp/psv/ps3, psv/ps3/ps4, and now ps4/psv.

plus, going forward, there will probably be more of this scaling up and down as companies release other platforms that are more powerful than their original ones, but want to keep their userbase and not start from zero every time. sony's already requiring it of developers within their ps4 ecosystem.

wildfire

Banned
As someone who travels often for work, many times on cross country flights 5-7 hrs long, I beg to differ.

Sometimes you get a nice plane with USB charging but most often you don't.

A product that lasts half of a flight is no use to me.

Seriously this argument about charging stations aggravates me. They aren't as ubiquitous in advanced countries as people claim. Also like you said sometimes there aren't that many ports where it's provided or the ports are at inconvenient locations in order to control where people congregate.

MDave

That screen sticking out at the top end and the equivalent dimensioned space below the handheld is triggering my bookshelf OCD.

I feel like they designed it that way on purpose so the top edge of the screen can show notifications when the Switch is in standby. Like how the Wii U Gamepad shows notifications when the Wii U is in standby. That would actually be really useful if you get messages from people on your friend list while its in stand by. You can see invites and that sort of thing before you even turn it on.

Gemmol

Neo Member
Let's hope it's a short flight. LOL.

battery banks, if he on a plane, battery bank is useful, can fit in your pants pocket or bag

and he can just charge it while he playing when it get low, which will give him more than 10 hours of battery life, if he get the 30,000mah battery bank that I want, he could probably play for 15 to 20 hours

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I haven't been able to comment because of the obvious, so my first impression of the Switch so far is that it gives me WAY more hype than either the Wii U or Wii did. Generally speaking, it doesn't matter to me the power of the thing or even the battery life because i won't be using it off of the dock...

Just to know that Nintendo has now standardized a normal control scheme...shit, i'm tearing up.

Lebneney

Banned
I have the Razer Blade Stealth hooked up to the Razer Core with an external graphics card. All of that is connected via USB Type-C. Maybe Nintendo is doing something similar? That doesn't explain how they can play the same games without the dock. Could be that the big N is lowering graphical output on the console/tablet itself when undocked to achieve their design.

Banned
Higher clock speeds when docked seems completely reasonable without having any additional hardware in the dock itself. Modern GPU/CPUs overclock almost effortlessly on the condition that the power draw can match the load, and cooling is adequate to prevent overheating.

Really, I don't even see this as a device that gets a performance boost when docked, so much as a device that is downclocked when portable. As long as Nintendo built the hardware in mind with stabilised docked power and cooling, having the GPU (and maybe CPU) downclock when portable is a sensible decision for a device that has to conserve battery power.
My theory as well. Said it multiple times. Docked means the chips run at max frequency and portable means the chips underclock.

Dr. Buni

I am fine with the dock improving performance as long as we aren't talking about a 3DS / New 3DS situation, where games run like ass on the 3DS and well on the N3DS. If the games don't run at stable 60 fps (or 30, depending on the game), I am out. If the dock improves performance as in making games look better, then that is perfectly fine, since they will be played on a big screen anyways.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I am fine with the dock improving performance as long as we aren't talking about a 3DS / New 3DS situation, where games run like as on the 3DS and well on the N3DS. If the games don't run at stable 60 fps (or 30, depending on the game), I am out.

Probably more for higher resolution (1080p) at home and lower resolution on the small screen.

LordOfChaos

My theory as well. Said it multiple times. Docked means the chips run at max frequency and portable means the chips underclock.

Emily Rodgers said active cooled, what I wonder is if the fan is in the tablet or the dock.

Maybe the dock is so fat because it has a fan in it, blowing air in the bottom vent of the Switch and up out the top. While mobile the seemingly large heatsink if it goes from top to bottom would provide decent passive transfer to air being open on both sides, and while docked the docks fan would let it run at full clock speeds.

CvQEx3nVUAABugJ.jpg:large

If all that is right it's remarkably close to what I wanted and envisioned back when the NX was rumoured to be a tablet. A thickish tablet with a pass through heatsink that would be cooled on the dock.

No idea if this has been addressed in any of the Switch threads, but is the only way to charge the unit via the dock? Or is there a separate AC adapter so that playing with the portable form factor while charging is still possible? Not sure if these are details that have been revealed yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom