• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law & Order To Air An Episode Inspired By #Gamergate February 11

Arkage

Banned
I was hoping for people to pile on NBC/Law and Order in this thread... but instead, it has turned into Generic Gamergate Bickering Thread #12093404. Lovely.

Focus on the true enemy here, guys/gals. ICE T'S ACTING.

Seriously, neoGAF is a never ending b8 pool when it comes to this subject. Everyone derailing this thread into the merits of GG should be forced to reread the many archived threads on it before being allowed to post.

On topic, I know L&O can be shit at times, but man, this really takes the cake. The number and context of the puns used is so bad there's no possible way to take the episode seriously. And that sucks, because harassment and swatting, especially when it comes to female devs, needs to be taken seriously.

Watched the Super cut video. Damn. That's over-the-top and hilariously awful. Pretty typical SVU, but it's a lot funnier and awful now then it ever was.

I thought it was fine. Puns and one liners has always been the L&O way. Over the top is also their way.

It does show the seriousness of threats leveled against these women.

13fstn.gif

That was pretty entertaining. More parody episodes please. :3

We were actually doing well for about 17 pages before the drive-by shitposting began. I think that has to be a record

The more GG threads pop up the more the shitposters get banned so eventually they'll be a possibility of a discussion of females in the industry without some garbage being thrown out.

lyrick

Sooo....I suppose the episode did more harm than good given the reactions.

Not at all. Some Gamers obvious don't like the portrayals, but it gave a very high level overview of a bunch of stupid shit that happens in the gaming world, and did it in a way that people not familiar with gaming could probably understand. Unfortunately separating the parts somewhat based on reality from the Drama, is a whole different task.

Before the episode my wife had no idea what swatting was... of course when I explained it there was a follow up of "people watch other people play video games... on a computer that lets them play video games?

The cringe levels are off the charts!!

Also Gamergate is in no way as organized as they're depicted in the show but despite horrible writing they made a decent job of showing in a broad sense everything that has happened at once (swatting, death threats, rape threats, online harassment).

I was a bit surprised they went as far as actually using terms like "social justice warriors" in the show.

But seriously that horrible writing! I almost turned off the reel when that female developer spoke to the cops in nothing but acronyms!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Watched this episode earlier and I was disappointed by the ending as I was expecting the woman Raina or her soon to be husband being behind everything to where it was all setup for publicity for her game being released. Watching L&O for so many years, im shocked that this episode didn't end this way. Oh well.

Apt101

Watching this now. The plot is full of allusions to real world circumstances, and some characters are obvious homages to real people.

The cheesy L&O: SVU puns are not disappointing. The lingo Ice T is using is surprisingly not overly cringe worthy.

Pretty good so far. Everything I was hoping for at about 1/3 in.

Edit: just concluded. Humorous POV there are the end, good camping line from Tutuola. I'm glad they didn't try to shoehorn in some kind of false-equivalency anywhere, or show sympathy or understanding for gamer gaters.

I have to say...as gross as this episode was, it has resulted in at least one thing that I find pretty funny.

The same people who have been arguing that Anita's work is nonsense because "fiction doesn't affect real life" and "people can distinguish between fiction and reality" are some of the ones complaining most loudly about this episode.

Why?

Because it "demonizes gamers" and "gives them a bad name" and will "convince the public that gamers are all misogynistic psychopaths".

Almost like, y'know, they believe that a fictional portrayal will influence people's attitudes.

Funny, that.

Hexa

Seems like Hotwheels and the whole 8chan shithole just embraced the Redchanit name from the L&OSVU episode.

I don't even know what to say but the fact that they're adopting the fake name of the site used on the gamergate episode to plan terrorism is mind boggling.

http://twitter.com/infinitechan/status/565735876701855744

A new 8chan parody board based on just this episode called /redchanit/ totally blew up. It's in the top 10 boards on there right now. o_O
KiA also changed their logo to that.

So yeah, they're embracing it pretty hard. It's pretty obvious its all satire though meant to be ridiculous.

Edit: OMG. They're giving away @redchan.it email addresses. Time to level up my email address. :p

I thought the episode itself was pretty good. After watching nearly every SVU episode up until this one what I expected pretty much happened.

Sure cringy line, over-acted etc. Did enjoy/relate to how Fin showed frustration over others that shared an interest with himself, boy do I know that feeling.

MrHoot

So yeah, they're embracing it pretty hard. It's pretty obvious its all satire though meant to be ridiculous.

Pretty much. I haven't laughed so hard the moment I heard the words "redchanit" in such a serious tone.

This is "4 chan exploding van" levels of silly to a new level (up)

Toxi

Banned
eh, really tired of this whole thing. Still boils down to a sh***y person did a sh***y thing, got publicly blasted for it, causing discovery of p**n causing more sh***y people to do sh***y things to that sh***y person.
Jesus Christ, just say shit if you want to say shit.

Tripon

In all seriousness, NBC and Law and Order:SVU fucked up by not securing the redchanit domain. That shit is going to last years and get some serious play before it dies.

Terrell

I have to say...as gross as this episode was, it has resulted in at least one thing that I find pretty funny.

The same people who have been arguing that Anita's work is nonsense because "fiction doesn't affect real life" and "people can distinguish between fiction and reality" are some of the ones complaining most loudly about this episode.

Why?

Because it "demonizes gamers" and "gives them a bad name" and will "convince the public that gamers are all misogynistic psychopaths".

Almost like, y'know, they believe that a fictional portrayal will influence people's attitudes.

Funny, that.
GG is so rife with such contradiction that I can't find the humor in this anymore. It's just sad now.

Top Bottom